Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
'the good one'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The characters in the story always have the same information that the viewer does. That's a classic staple of storytelling.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, I didn't leave the game thinking any of them were good. They are all hosed up humans with the exception of Lev and Dina. I still give the nudge to Abby because most of the stuff that Ellie does results in a pyrrhic victory at best.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Obvs the smartest way to play TLOU2 is to make two columns marked 'Good' and 'Bad' and write down character names under each one, just so you can keep track of what's what.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO the second to last thing Ellie does before “coming to Jesus” is hold a switchblade a sleeping child’s throat (literally the same child who saved her and her girlfriend and her son’s life 2 years ago) and force a woman who had been starved, beaten, and left for dead to fight her in mortal combat.

Just absolutely

Insanely

lol

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Dan Didio posted:

'the good one'

Relatively speaking to Abby, i'd say yeah.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yes, I understood that, it's still funny.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

COVID-420 posted:

Just beat this and I love how gnarly they made Ellie's missing fingers look. She's not wearing a bandage or glove, she's just got these awful bloody red stumps.

that really bothered me. like she’s traveled all the way back across the country at that point, and not only has she not bandaged up her gross wound but it’s still bleeding and raw? that’s not how bodies work.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO the second to last thing Ellie does before “coming to Jesus” is hold a switchblade a sleeping child’s throat (literally the same child who saved her and her girlfriend and her son’s life 2 years ago) and force a woman who had been starved, beaten, and left for dead to fight her in mortal combat.

Just absolutely

Insanely

lol

she should’ve killed lev too. hammurabi’s law

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Her stumps are not bleeding in the last scene wtf are you talking about? Amputated limbs and digits remain red and puffy at the separation point for years afterwards sometimes because your brain takes a really long time to process that you’re missing big chunks of your body.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

It’s really very sad how many people get all :smug: like “Abby happily threatened a PREGNANT woman, she’s the worst!!!” and completely miss everything about the scene. It’s not even subtle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

It’s really very sad how many people get all :smug: like “Abby happily threatened a PREGNANT woman, she’s the worst!!!” and completely miss everything about the scene. It’s not even subtle.

Uh excuse you, were you not paying attention? Abby and Ellie sat down and compared notes about their experiences and everything that happened and despite that Abby still tried to murder her innocent girlfriend because her lust for blood cannot ever be sated.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you are trying to figure out which one of them is “worse” you are, uh, missing the point a little bit.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

When in a large battlegroup, why do my destroyer's Max Speed get cut in half, seemingly at random?

*edit* :lol: wrong thread

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Basticle posted:

When in a large battlegroup, why do my destroyer's Max Speed get cut in half, seemingly at random?

*edit* :lol: wrong thread

if you’re asking about your destroyer’s max speed you’re missing the point of the story

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

This game not having a unambiguous villain like the Flood or the White Walkers makes it so complicated.

Closest things is the Rattlers but they felt more like an demon allegory for Abbey as the only one who came to find her to render judgment was none other than the person who's father she murdered

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Slowly making my way through the game (like one day of story per week), and I gotta say, I'm having a lot of fun with the stealth/combat/scavenging.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There’s just something really satisfying about that central gameplay loop where you sneak around a bit, kill a dog or two, rip a woman’s throat out and go “ooh yeah, I found a quarter roll of duct tape!”

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Killing virtual dogs is evil, you’re going straight to hell

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Cool, i'll get to hang out with loads of dogs

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I finally finished this last night.

I liked the story a lot, it took me a while to warm up to Abby (and they lost most of the "good will" momentum when she shot Tommy in the head), but I liked the ending. In fairness they made me dislike Ellie when she refused to go find Tommy.

The two things I didn't like were more gameplay oriented.

The infected encounters, especially Abby's, seemed a slog. Abby's were bad because they were so loving dark (Mainly hotel and hospital). I guess I could have cranked up the brightness, but I found myself getting annoyed with them.

The second (which is a holdover from the first game) is the limited ammo, both in how much you can carry and how much you can get off of the people you kill. I primarily play this game using stealth, and (brutally) stabbing someone unaware only to get one bullet from them is bs, especially since they never run out of ammo themselves.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I agree the hotel starts to drag but I loved the hospital, but going through it first knowing something was going to go down was great for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVQcZa4O01A&t=454s

I don't have the patience for ultra longform stuff but this is a good video and I like this discussion. I've seen all of these criticisms ITT.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVQcZa4O01A&t=454s

I don't have the patience for ultra longform stuff but this is a good video and I like this discussion. I've seen all of these criticisms ITT.

I'm really confused by his point equating Joel's "change of mind" at the end of TLOU and Ellie's at the end of 2. They have nothing in common. Joel doesn't change his mind at the end of TLOU, he makes a decision when presented with the consequences of Ellie's earlier choice to keep looking for the fireflies. The whole point of it is he goes against her wish. There's nothing at the end of TLOU2 justifying Ellie's change of heart besides a convenient flashback.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'm really confused by his point equating Joel's "change of mind" at the end of TLOU and Ellie's at the end of 2. They have nothing in common. Joel doesn't change his mind at the end of TLOU, he makes a decision when presented with the consequences of Ellie's earlier choice to keep looking for the fireflies. The whole point of it is he goes against her wish. There's nothing at the end of TLOU2 justifying Ellie's change of heart besides a convenient flashback.

The point is that both games present narratives about traveling for a long time through harsh circumstances in order to accomplish a certain goal only to end up not accomplishing that goal at all, leaving the characters to wallow in the fallout of ambiguous emotional quagmires...and maybe faint hopes of catharsis.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ok thanks for the clarification. I suppose in a purely narrative sense you can indeed draw some parallels between both endings but that's really not the way he frames or phrases it in the video. It's funny you cut the video at that timestamp though Bust, because the previous comment about the game being a bit repetitive was mine and I do indeed like Up. (and it's zombie themed version with less giant birds and more cannibal rapists :shobon:) I liked how grounded the first story was and even though it was not groundbreaking, it was well executed. Its punches landed when it mattered.

A lot of the video is just him stomping on illiterate homophobes and nerds with anger management issues so eh... not sure it adds much to the discussion here. His point about the ending is pretty telling, he admits it doesn't really work thematically but that he still prefers it as it is because 2020 is a bleak enough year. And I mean yeah that's definitely true but then if your game feels so bleak, harrowing and pointless... make something else? Nobody held Druckmann at gunpoint to write this. He said himself he didn't want to initially and questioned his ability to craft an interesting story out of this sequel. Hell, the whole studio rightfully questioned the ultra violent direction they were taking with this. To me it mostly fails at recapturing what I enjoyed in the first game but if there's an audience for what it does then more power to them. I just have no interest in whatever comes next.

Btw since there's a non spoiler thread, I don't know if it's still worth having two threads open given this one was more dedicated to the leaks and is mostly dead now.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

bobjr posted:

I agree the hotel starts to drag but I loved the hospital, but going through it first knowing something was going to go down was great for me.

When the boss fight started I expected it to be a slog but I enjoyed every minute of it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Btw since there's a non spoiler thread, I don't know if it's still worth having two threads open given this one was more dedicated to the leaks and is mostly dead now.

They're both pretty slow. I don't think there's a need to close any threads, they can just die naturally if they need to.

I'll be keeping the other thread maintained for when Factions 2 surfaces, and if that brings in more discussion then so be it.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
My impression of this game has always been negative and that three changes would have gone a long way toward fixing it. Obviously I’m in the minority given the sales and acclaim, but gently caress it.

1) Omit the Abby playable sections entirely and the pacing improves tenfold.

2) Abby has to die at the end of the base game, period. Ellie choosing to spare her at the last moment is the kind of thing I’m sure Druckmann felt so goddamned clever for, but there’s no reason for it and is a complete betrayal of the character and her experiences. It’s the game’s equivalent of Batman and Superman deciding to call a truce because their mommies are both named Martha.

3) After 1+2 are met, you can release Abby’s campaign as standalone DLC similar to Uncharted. The pacing issues still get solved, and Druckmann can still jerk himself off all day long with the “omg I’m being so subversive and cHaLlEnGiNg YoUr ExPeCtAtIoNs” bullshit, even allowing for the possibility of an alternate ending where Abby gets the better of Ellie and drowns her.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
All of that sucks though, man.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Abby stuff is better than the Ellie stuff

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bloodysabbath posted:

My impression of this game has always been negative and that three changes would have gone a long way toward fixing it. Obviously I’m in the minority given the sales and acclaim, but gently caress it.

2) Abby has to die at the end of the base game, period. Ellie choosing to spare her at the last moment is the kind of thing I’m sure Druckmann felt so goddamned clever for, but there’s no reason for it and is a complete betrayal of the character and her experiences. It’s the game’s equivalent of Batman and Superman deciding to call a truce because their mommies are both named Martha.

3) After 1+2 are met, you can release Abby’s campaign as standalone DLC similar to Uncharted. The pacing issues still get solved, and Druckmann can still jerk himself off all day long with the “omg I’m being so subversive and cHaLlEnGiNg YoUr ExPeCtAtIoNs” bullshit, even allowing for the possibility of an alternate ending where Abby gets the better of Ellie and drowns her.

You have bad opinions.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bloodysabbath posted:

:goofy:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah what if the game was just Ellie violently murdering everyone and then she finally murders the last person and then the credits roll. GOTY.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh boy if there's one guy whose 2lou opinions i wanted to hear it's bloodysabbath, SA's most famous woman-hater

e: second-most famous. sorry pal, but you're no jon pop

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

bloodysabbath posted:

Impressive how you have written things that are all nearly perfectly, exactly wrong!

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

smoobles posted:

Yeah what if the game was just Ellie violently murdering everyone and then she finally murders the last person and then the credits roll. GOTY.

That's the hero's journey

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wish tlou2 was less about murdering people and more about finding a way to defeat the mushroom kingdom

They had this really neat idea for a dystopian world and they kinda ignored it and went with a dozen revenge plots instead

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, one of the things I really like about the game in relation to other zombie media is that the zombies are not especially important to the narrative and are basically just a weird natural disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

smoobles posted:

Druckman reneged on the Genocide run at the last minute and I'm supposed to agree with and cheer on this decision. Cutscenes were a mistake, it all went downhill after Donkey Kong decided to be a movie and have things happen beyond your control of the characters.