Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1411370216215486466

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
am i going crazy or did that get posted it already? they mistranslated the 'or' when it should've been an 'and'?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

am i going crazy or did that get posted it already? they mistranslated the 'or' when it should've been an 'and'?

you're not going crazy, not like that at least

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I do some stuff with the JCP on a local level, there's people doing good stuff but it really is dependent on where you live.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1412769335391707138

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

They're all just out of frame, laughing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

"Steal secret will get caught; get caught will lost head" my translation.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

"Steal secret will get caught; get caught will lost head" my translation.

is that an idiom or does China just not shy away from using this sort of language generally (as opposed to America which hides behind euphemisms at every turn)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

is that an idiom or does China just not shy away from using this sort of language generally (as opposed to America which hides behind euphemisms at every turn)

there’s a poster up in the lobby of my building that says something like “don’t fight people. if you win, you’ll go to jail. if you lose, you’ll go to the hospital”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

there’s a poster up in the lobby of my building that says something like “don’t fight people. if you win, you’ll go to jail. if you lose, you’ll go to the hospital”

lol that rules

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

this statement is hilarious in light of what america has been doing to the mideast for at least a decade

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

This type of extremely simplistic slogans were very popular/common in the 80s, I don't know if they were around before the 80s because I can't remember. They were basically designed to target peasants who learn a few years of writing.

People grew up in the 80s will recognize them and get nostalgic, and they are very rare nowadays. But if you search old one-child policy slogans you get tons of them, usually old slogans that haven't been repainted over in far remote corners.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Agrajag posted:

this statement is hilarious in light of what america has been doing to the mideast for at least a decade

bringing freedom and eternal glory? :confused:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

People grew up in the 80s will recognize them and get nostalgic

lol that’s adorable

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

so do they just get let out of the death camps after a bit or what

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yeah they get to leave on the weekends. it works on the death camp honor system

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

Not only let out of the death camps, in almost every case given passports by the Chinese govt to escape and tell their story around the world. Whoopsy!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

yeah they get to leave on the weekends. it works on the death camp honor system

there's a really good joke about jewish day camp here to be made but someone else who's allowed to make it needs to pick up my slack

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the chicoms are so freakin soft on muslamic style radical terrorism that they give freakin FURLOUGHS from their death camps

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it really is wild, unironically, to hear the official line seemingly genuinely be 'these death camps are killing the people by the mass graves, torturing and working them to death...anyway here's some people who left them and have government IDs and travel papers and poo poo.'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hosed up my grandpa's brother didn't tell the Nazis 'uh I'd like to go to America, actually'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

auschwitz had a half day

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was thinking about the Victims of Communism people and realized how I wasn’t really aware of groups like that existing within China, so figured I’d ask: are there any politically reactionary segments of the Chinese population akin to what there were in the Ukraine/Baltic states/etc under the USSR, or were those groups mostly pacified by Deng returning capitalism to a position of primacy in the Chinese economy? I understand the Muslim extremists in Xinjiang might count but they seem more religiously motivated than anti-communist. possibly Free Tibet groups? but is there anything like that actually within China currently doing sabotage and the like?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you exclude Hong Kong and the "free Turkistan movement", uh, Ai Weiwei?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that’s a good one. I suppose I still think of Hong Kong as undergoing integration and not fully a part of China yet, but it should totally count. is the Free Turkistan movement based on politics more than religious separatism?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

does Falun Gong count

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

does Falun Gong count

for sure they would, do they have a big base within China? I assumed it was mostly expats

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

indigi posted:

that’s a good one. I suppose I still think of Hong Kong as undergoing integration and not fully a part of China yet, but it should totally count. is the Free Turkistan movement based on politics more than religious separatism?

The entire Uighur thing is sort of a relic of USSR ethnic fuckery. Although the fact that the East Turkestan types only call themselves Uighurs to foreigners shows that they weren't super successful with...whatever it was they were trying to do there. And a bunch, maybe a majority, of the East Turkestan types view a potential state as a future province of a larger Islamic polity. Like a salafist Texas Republic. Its a real Frankenstein's monster sort of ethno-nationalism because it's fairly artificial and almost entirely the creation of outside parties.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1412791041808388103?s=20

They CPC wants your genes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
meanwhile please ignore 23andme just handing over their dna records to the pigs

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The technology could propel China to dominate global pharmaceuticals, and also potentially lead to genetically enhanced soldiers, or engineered pathogens to target the U.S. population or food supply, the advisors said.

how long are we going to beat the supersoldier drum

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh no my genes, they could clone a fat gay guy with depression!!!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
china's super soldier program grinds to a halt as the newest batch answers every order with 'sounds like you're asking for a lot right now, let me get back to you'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Super cyber soldiers, all born with a crippling addiction to World of Warcraft

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/15/nyregion/nypd-dna-database.html drat i cant imagine that happening in gods country the usa

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

You got to give Reuters credit for making this Constructivism style poster on the fly.

edit, and the illustrator also moon night as the US trade representative lol.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Jul 7, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

meanwhile please ignore 23andme just handing over their dna records to the pigs

You know, I am more upset that Canada is ignoring this DNA data to find the indigenous female serial killers while US and China are using the data to solve old serial killer cases.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Office Pig posted:

how long are we going to beat the supersoldier drum

lol targeted pathogens. as if that’s not insanely fantastic sci fi tech

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

indigi posted:

I was thinking about the Victims of Communism people and realized how I wasn’t really aware of groups like that existing within China, so figured I’d ask: are there any politically reactionary segments of the Chinese population akin to what there were in the Ukraine/Baltic states/etc under the USSR, or were those groups mostly pacified by Deng returning capitalism to a position of primacy in the Chinese economy? I understand the Muslim extremists in Xinjiang might count but they seem more religiously motivated than anti-communist. possibly Free Tibet groups? but is there anything like that actually within China currently doing sabotage and the like?

Most of the people like this were forced out of the country when the CCP won the civil war, so they became Taiwan's problem or spread out among the long established SEAsian Chinese expat communities.

China's big reactionary problem is all the religious cults that have sprang up in the last few decades. Falun Gong is the most infamous, being esoteric Nazi spiritualists, but there's also a ton of Christian religious cults. They aren't insignificant either. Each individual group may only be one or two million here or there, but if you add them all up with Falun Gong you're easily looking at over a hundred million religious reactionaries. Because the Chinese government declares them illegal cults they keep their operations underground, so it's hard to estimate exactly how many there are.

Not all of these groups are as bad as Falun Gong or Eastern Lightning, but they're all disruptive in some way. My brother is a member of Witness Lee's "Local Churches," but in China they were known as The Shouters and started getting into street fights with officially sanctioned Christian groups. In Taiwan and the states, Local Churchers aren't even that weird they just have a few eccentric practices compared to most Christians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh wow that’s interesting. and upsetting.