Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to basing epic on rectangles vs squares vs circles? Or is it just aesthetic preference?

At this point, aesthetic. The shape of the troop base really doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't exceed 40mm length/width or be less than 5mm l/w. Vehicle bases aren't required, but people tend to use them for ease of transport and tying armies together - size on those is usually "somewhere in the vicinity of the vehicle size."

I prefer the strips, as the army takes up a smaller footprint during storage. It also tends to make it easier to place stands in close combat - I find the larger squares and circle bases tend to make things a little tougher to arrange when you're trying to get as many strips into base to base as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm getting some Epic stuff together to print (when I get my new LCD screen for my broken printer), and... I didn't realize how loving huge a Baneblade was.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to basing epic on rectangles vs squares vs circles? Or is it just aesthetic preference?

lilljonas posted:

They switched bases at one point between editiond. The release I got had rectangular bases for infantry.

Iirc base size and shape matters little in epic.

The first two editions came with square bases. Epic 40K introduced the strip bases. I dunno what E:A units used offhand.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Most of my Epic stuff was second-hand so I have a mix of square and strip bases. The key thing is the min 5mm max 40mm dimensions.

It mostly matters in-game two ways:

Formation cohesion requires most formation types to have every base in the unit to be within x cm of another base in the unit, measured from the base. Strips let you space a large unit of troops out to a marginally wider stance than square bases would. This almost never matters but you can contrive to make it matter in some edge cases - that is, technically you could make your unit "stretch" a bit farther with strips. I have seen one occasion where a formation was able to contest an objective while having more of itself in cover by maximizing spacing like this.

There is a game combat mode called a "firefight" which is what happens when two or more opposing formations get to within IIRC 15cm of each other and then have a battle. There's extra movement phases where the units in the formation can choose to sort of barge into each other more tightly, and get more bases into base-to-base contact. Close combat weapons only get used in B2B, so if your formation has lots of good close combat units, you want them to be able to touch opponent bases a lot. I find that square bases are sometimes easier, especially when facing an opponent's strip bases. With my Eldar, I tend to field one or two aspect warrior formations with a mix of different aspect warriors, and some of my bases are optimized for CC while some are better to hold at firing range. My square-based aspect warriors seem to be a little easier to manage that with.

But, in both cases these are minor considerations. You won't find your army to be significantly better or worse if you go with one or the other or a mix of both.

There is maybe one more consideration: I find that when I'm placing units on a sloped piece of terrain, square-based ones don't fall over but strip-based ones tend to tip over more easily. But this happens so rarely that again I wouldn't really worry about it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
epic scale is a great opportunity to have infantry manpiles on little round bases

like this scene on a 30mm base would be pretty cool imo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's five infantry per base by the rules, which wouldn't let you do that sort of thing easily, but you can cram a LOT of bases onto a little hill and then have a firefight with another formation and say "pew pew pew" while masses of your idiots get murdered in seconds. I feel like that fits the spirit of the thing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
personally I would just use Kings of War idea of "this base represents this unit, it doesn't matter what models are on the base, or really how many of them either"

I only play against cool people so it would never be an issue

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Epic 40,000 definitely had the strips which is the only version I played. Was actually my first miniature game ever and drat do I still kick it around often in my head. I'll have to check out the Armageddon rules again as I got a buddy wanting to start up a mini game. Minigeddon seems like it has a lot of to get us started.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

I only play against cool people so it would never be an issue
I didn't want to play against you anyway! :(

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
My understanding is that you can also use round bases as long as you abide by not less than 5mm or more than 40mm, correct? Perfect for stuff like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4439394 (Moola is correct, cram as many on as look good)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My friend has been doing infantry on flames of war style bases, and mine are sadly incomplete but his are excellent:

My shameful circle bases:

A titan so I feel better about posting my stuff:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

If I was about to play epic and my opponent just pulled out a unit of crimson fists in a manpile, I’d just concede right then and there. It’s clear who the better person is.

also goddamnit, all these epic pictures are great. Thanks for posting them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MCPeePants posted:

My understanding is that you can also use round bases as long as you abide by not less than 5mm or more than 40mm, correct? Perfect for stuff like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4439394 (Moola is correct, cram as many on as look good)

That is absolutely correct. And while it might reduce your ability to min/max stuff like getting one stand of close combat troops into base2base contact with two enemy stands of wimpy cc troops, that's very minor in the grand scheme of things and really not likely to be decisive in a game.

All of my titans are on big round bases (which seems to be standard), and my Avatar & Court of the Young King unit is on a round base too. I think some of my war walkers or wraithlords might be as well.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
The manpile should be an objective. Go help/kill those guys.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Outside of Vanguars Miniatures and trolls under the bridge, who are people ordering Epic models from?
I don't have a 3d printer so that's not an option sadly

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I suddenly feel like getting a couple of demo forces for minigeddon. What would be a few decent lists to start?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Outside of Vanguars Miniatures and trolls under the bridge, who are people ordering Epic models from?

I got a bunch of Dark Eldar from Onslaught, though they're sometimes out of stock of stuff for months.

But also, if you have the space for it, a $220 photon mono or equivalent will pay itself off pretty quickly. Resin goes a long way in 6mm.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hedningen posted:

I suddenly feel like getting a couple of demo forces for minigeddon. What would be a few decent lists to start?

I don't know about "decent", but these are the two lists I'm working toward (using NetEA points):

Space Marines: Codex Astartes (total 975pts)
Bikes [250pts]
---5x Bikes [200pts], Chaplain [+50pts]
Tactical [400pts]
---6x Tactical [275], 2x Vindicator [+75pts], Captain [+50pts]
Tactical [325pts]
---6x Tactical [275], Hellfire Dreadnought [+50pts]

Tyranids (total 1000pts)
Small Tyranid Swarm [200pts]
---1x Hive Tyrant, 6x Hormagaunts [200pts]
Small Genestealer Swarm [175pts]
---6x Genestealers [150pts], 1x Broodlord [+25pts]
Medium Tyranid Swarm [400pts]
---4x Tyranid Warriors, 12x Termagants [375pts], 1x Zoanthropes [+25pts]
Small Exocrine Swarm [225pts]
---3x Exocrine Swarms [175pts], 1x Exocrine Swarm [+50pts]

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tiny Chalupa posted:

It's easier to find a print for order service and get it from them.

If you're in the UK I can recommend you someone.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The primary reason you don't cram 200 models on a base is because it's a waste of models. Go crazy on your Objective marker, depicting the final stand of the Crimson Fists on the cover of the Rogue Trader book. But 1) an infantry stand is only so big, and you'll be limited by the sheer fact that you don't have the space; and 2) up until the advent of 3D printing, Epic models could be loving expensive, and you weren't going to waste them in an incoherent pile of troops when you needed them to actually build the rest of your army.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
epic is great but im still painting warmaster (im also still waiting on bases)

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

It's easier to find a print for order service and get it from them.

If you're in the UK I can recommend you someone.

Sadly US based. Anyone have a US company I can use or order service to use in the US?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

The primary reason you don't cram 200 models on a base is because it's a waste of models. Go crazy on your Objective marker, depicting the final stand of the Crimson Fists on the cover of the Rogue Trader book. But 1) an infantry stand is only so big, and you'll be limited by the sheer fact that you don't have the space; and 2) up until the advent of 3D printing, Epic models could be loving expensive, and you weren't going to waste them in an incoherent pile of troops when you needed them to actually build the rest of your army.

I should have clarified that now is a great time to go nuts with cool little manpile bases because you can just 3d print out a cool mini diaroma

Like yeah sure don't waste your limited epic minis from the 80s making weird bases for sure

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Electric Hobo posted:

The manpile should be an objective. Go help/kill those guys.

The game is layering units on top of each other, whoever topples first loses.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I love your style and btw you're directly responsible for me getting a 3d printer to make tiny brettonians.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

You guys already made me want to get into Titanicus, but now I want to get into Epic. :argh:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Eediot Jedi posted:

I love your style and btw you're directly responsible for me getting a 3d printer to make tiny brettonians.

excellent!

i should have some prototype Warmaster bases ready soon, so you could print those for your bretonnians as well

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

You guys already made me want to get into Titanicus, but now I want to get into Epic. :argh:

it's a great game (any of the rules) and if you can resist the urge to play Napoleonics in Space by having such a ridiculous amount of points that your units are shoulder-to-shoulder moving straight then it becomes a game of maneuver where you can nullify the 40k habit of gaming the army lists. Also, you can build armies for around $100.

DOOOOO IT! Do it. Do it. Do it. C'MONNNNNNNNNN! Everyone else is.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Adeptus Titanicus Grandmaster Starter Set NiB for 300 cad? Is that an aight deal? I cant find the store page

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Adeptus Titanicus Grandmaster Starter Set NiB for 300 cad? Is that an aight deal? I cant find the store page

It's discontinued. That's about a 60% markup over the old MSRP, and about the same price as buying the models in the boxed set (two Warlords and a Knight squad). You're getting gouged, but gouged less than GW does for individual titan and knight boxes.

The current starter is $180 and has two Warhounds, two Reavers, and two heavy knights, as well as basically the same terrain, rules, accessories, etc.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Space Marines: Codex Astartes (total 975pts)
Bikes [250pts]
Tactical [400pts]
---6x Tactical [275], 2x Vindicator [+75pts], Captain [+50pts]
Tactical [325pts]
---6x Tactical [275], Hellfire Dreadnought [+50pts]

Three activations in minigeddon with marines is really really going to be tough to capitalize on. You've got a solid base there though.

I'd restructure a bit maybe:

Space Marines: Codex Astartes (total 1000pts)
Bikes [250pts]
Tactical [275pts]
---6x Tactical [275]
Tactical [275pts]
---6x Tactical [275
Options [200pts]
---Add either Land Speeders [200pts] or Scouts [150pts] plus 50pts of upgrades, probably a chaplain for a tactical.

The formations are much more bare bones, but you'll have more flexibility, plus you won't be at such an activation disadvantage.

I'll post more minigeddon lists, I've made a lot of them this last year.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Minigeddon seems like it has a lot of to get us started.

It is super fun. I'd recommend starting with some of the simpler forces that don't modify the rules too much. You cannot go wrong with guard and orks, both play quite thematically, orks do really force an arggressive playstyle though. Eldar play with the rules a little, but not much.
I lightly recommend against starting with marines, they really require a solid understanding of the game to win, and hoo boy does it suck when you mess up turn one with them. That said, they are great to collect and a (relatively) cheap army to get running in minigeddon. The list above can be bought from vanguard for just under 50 pounds, including a commander pack and rhinos.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 8, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My buddy's been talking about getting into 40k. Large scale battles and not spending $fuckwads on models appeal to me. Any good noobie guide to Epic out there?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 8, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
(Sorry for quoting something from a page ago)

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, the pyramid in the back of the picture of my necrons is a tomb complex objective I can use to bring units onto the table. There's lots of little things like that, it's quite cool.

Hard agree on making cheat sheets too. Partly because 90% of the time I play it's going to be an "I supply both armies and walk my opponent through a game" type deal, I always make up an excel sheet with unit stats, army rules and any special rules on the units in the list. At least I started for that reason, before finding that it just made everything super easy in play. That plus a basic "flow of the turn" cheat sheet with things like the barrage points and assault results tables, and I don't think I've actually had to open the book in years.

It looks cramped, but the army list and special rules fit on one very readable A4 page.

This is a real good layout! I've been wondering about doing the same thing for my KT and AT lists, with all my guys and what they can do (plus the abilities I can use now and again in KT. I can't remember what they're called now), and I think it would ideally look much the same as that. So I'm glad to see it works well!
Thanks for the inspiration - I think I'll have to set up and print out a sheet similar to that too, so that I don't forget quite so much as I tend to, after a hiatus.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My favourite guard list for minigeddon:

Imperial Guard: Steel Legion (total 1000pts)

Infantry Company [250pts]
--- 1x Commander, 12 x Infantry, and Commissar
Mechanized Infantry Company [400pts]
--- 1x Commander, 12 x Infantry, 7 x Chimera, and Commissar
Artillery Battery [250pts]
--- 3x Bombards
Sentinel Squadron [100pts]
--- 4x Sentinels

Garrison the infantry, screen the arty with the sentinels, move + shoot with mech company, assualt with support when needed. Artillery will make your opponenet suffer every turn it stays alive.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

These are WONDERFUL. It's always fun to see paintjobs 50x better than what I can do, at 1/4 the size!

Gonna try and score some base strips for my High Elf stuff and maybe get them primed if the humidity ever dips below 80%

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Arrgghh, your stuff is so good. As a former Bret player this makes me want to get into warmaster so much. The girlfriend will literally murder me if I start collecting another tiny man army. I think she's accepted that eventually I cannot build more Epic armies, if i add another game I don't know what will happen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Nebalebadingdong posted:

How the HECK did you do those eyes

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

paint tall vertical stripes then mask them back into the eye recess

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

i put a tutorial in the painting thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=999#post516057471

Cease to Hope posted:

paint tall vertical stripes then mask them back into the eye recess

yeah basically this. but the secret ingredient is flow improver if you're having trouble.

Virtual Russian posted:

Arrgghh, your stuff is so good. As a former Bret player this makes me want to get into warmaster so much. The girlfriend will literally murder me if I start collecting another tiny man army. I think she's accepted that eventually I cannot build more Epic armies, if i add another game I don't know what will happen.

no kidding. im an old bret player too, and just had to get these when they came out

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

I'll post more minigeddon lists, I've made a lot of them this last year.

It is super fun. I'd recommend starting with some of the simpler forces that don't modify the rules too much. You cannot go wrong with guard and orks, both play quite thematically, orks do really force an arggressive playstyle though. Eldar play with the rules a little, but not much.
I lightly recommend against starting with marines, they really require a solid understanding of the game to win, and hoo boy does it suck when you mess up turn one with them. That said, they are great to collect and a (relatively) cheap army to get running in minigeddon. The list above can be bought from vanguard for just under 50 pounds, including a commander pack and rhinos.

I'd likely do an Imperial Fist army at some point, that's what my first marine army was :allears:

Virtual Russian posted:

My favourite guard list for minigeddon:

Imperial Guard: Steel Legion (total 1000pts)

Infantry Company [250pts]
--- 1x Commander, 12 x Infantry, and Commissar
Mechanized Infantry Company [400pts]
--- 1x Commander, 12 x Infantry, 7 x Chimera, and Commissar
Artillery Battery [250pts]
--- 3x Bombards
Sentinel Squadron [100pts]
--- 4x Sentinels

Garrison the infantry, screen the arty with the sentinels, move + shoot with mech company, assualt with support when needed. Artillery will make your opponenet suffer every turn it stays alive.

Hey that's the sorta list I was kicking around with Imperial Guard

How are Dark Eldar or Tyranid in Minigeddon? I have such a large desire to get both of those armies as well. Especially after watching this video on a Printed Tyranid army
Need to find someone who can print those. My God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

...how are squats in minigeddon? Please tell me they're still a thing in minigeddon (I'll run them with Tau if I have to use them as Demiurge, I just want my space dwarves drat it)