Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
as a comics liker who doesn't actually read many comics I don't really know who - -------- Kang --------------- - actually is, and when I look it up I get this picture and it is not exactly thrilling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Hey thread, without wishing to come off as a prick, could I politely request that when a new episode comes out that someone, anyone, mentions it in thread as a paragraph break so we know that from that point on any spoiler text is likely about new stuff, not old?

Clicking on this spoiler text was on me, but I thought it was still speculation about what might be coming up not actual new episode reactions. With timezones and all that sometimes the new episodes sneak up on you.

I'm not mad or anything, I just got caught out because the episodes blurred together in the thread.

Not trying to come off as a dick as I had to retype this and emphasis that I really am not trying to be a dick because I’ve done the same as you a couple times but honestly just do not read this thread on new episode days until you watch the episode. It’s just the safest bet.

Or even the night before, depending on your timezone.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
MCU will absolutely make him look less stupid, like Scarlet Witch, unless it's for a reason. They'll probably have some gag cameo with original costume though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Not trying to come off as a dick as I had to retype this and emphasis that I really am not trying to be a dick because I’ve done the same as you a couple times but honestly just do not read this thread on new episode days until you watch the episode. It’s just the safest bet.

The other thing is that people should get called out more for putting their random speculation in spoiler text.

The Grumbles posted:

I thought the plot did progress! and it established some v significant things about Loki and what he's capable of.

Speaking of which, that whole Richard E Grant bit about how he'd escaped Thanos by turning into debris. It's pretty much a given that that's setting up a way for Loki to have actually survived the main timeline right? Like, he's going to go back to 2012, play out his role through all the Avengers saga, and then we'll see him do exactly as Richard E Grant said on the spaceship at the end of next week's episode, right?

Although the exception is speculation based off spoilers and my own added speculation: nah that can't happen (or shouldn't be able to happen) because that 2012 reality where Loki escaped got pruned in episode 1. It's gone, everything went into the void, there's nothing for him to go back to. Just as there isn't a reality for any of the TVA variants to go back to. The character isn't going to be made to play-act out 2012 to 2020, they're just going to dump him back into the MCU 'today'

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 7, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

David Harbour has K A R L - M A R X tattooed across his knuckles lmao

Thread relevant, there are (non-storyline specific BW spoiler) explicit ties to FATWS

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 7, 2021

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

The other thing is that people should get called out more for putting their random speculation in spoiler text.

I agree with this.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I thought this episode was great. Sylvie being the Lokiest Loki and having a profound effect on the others was really impactful. Old Loki's sacrifice, and the fact that he recreated Asgard as the distraction, was way more emotional than a character dying in the only episode in which he appeared probably should be.

I'm really curious where our Loki ends up after all of this. Does he go back to The Dark World and not get Frigga killed? The talk about a second season suggests not, I suppose.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

One detail I noticed:The ruined Stark tower actually has a sign saying "Qeng". Google tells me this is yet another alias of Nathaniel Richards!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What a good episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, it’s 100% Kang because we’ve already got Ravonna, Alioth, and the whole series is about someone making real sure the timeline follows a single path for some reason. Also, this person has assembled an army of people from across times and universes to enforce their plan. That’s Kang.

Plus he’s a complicated enough character that there’s a definite benefit in establishing him in Loki before he shows up in Quantumania.

They were laying it on pretty thick on this episode with The Sphinx, Alioth, Castle Limbo, and even Qeng Enterprises so if it's not that they are intentionally misdirecting us. It almost has to be some version of Kang/Immortus/Gryphon.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Absolutely, the entire thread is an enter at your own risk thing. I guess just a combination of pandemic lockdown "wait... today's Wednesday?" and not being used to weekly TV episode drops just caught me (and in the past, you) out. Everyone is being cool by putting stuff in spoilers anyway, I'm sorry if I even accidentally came across as a bit snippy about it. Thread good, people in it good, just got a little wrongfooted because the days and posts all blurred together.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
This page is a nice summary of all the various Easter eggs that fans spotted. Screenshots too.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/loki-episode-five-easter-eggs-throg/

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like that Loci everywhere are so petty that "I killed Thor" is enough to make them immediately decide to make Kid Loki king.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Whoever’s around at whatever time when it goes up should put a ‘New ep is up! :siren: type post so people can at least be aware they’re about to cross into new territory.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Another exceptionally pretty ep of Loki. Epic as gently caress.

The ship gave me Baron Munchausen vibes

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So the post-credits scene in Black Widow is a tease for Hawkeye, right?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The Loki Simpsons short is also up. It’s actually kinda cute.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

In this new episode, I'm really starting to notice the heavy use of The Volume. It really sticks out in comparison to the rest of the show.

Episode 3, as well. There's a very noticeable blur around the edges of the actors in foreground, especially around the hair. I guess that's the Volume's telltale equivalent of green spill. The depth of field / focus definitely feels off a lot of the time.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

All I can say is that I liked this episode, I was laughing my rear end in several points and David Lynch would hate me for watching tv and movies on my tiny phone screen :v:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Loki popping out of the shelter into the hands of even more Lokis cracked me up. Naruto Loki??

Also was Mobius driving the Pixar Pizza car? :swoon:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
good episode, dug all the easter eggs, wish there had been more screen time to develop the other Lokis

villain speculation: I think the villain will be revealed to be yet another Loki, and that Kang will be relegated to a mention or cameo. yes, I know there are the various Easter eggs and characters who are closely tied to Kang in the comics, but Kang hasn't even been mentioned in dialogue. for your mystery villain reveal to work properly, there has to be setup within the context of the story you're actually telling, not purely in relation to the source material will eat crow if wrong!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So I'm guessing next episode is the rebirth of the multiverse. Hope we get brief glimpses into pre MCU Marvel movie worlds, even if it is just characters looking at window to another world briefly.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

TinTower posted:

So the post-credits scene in Black Widow is a tease for Hawkeye, right?

It leads from FATWS and into Hawkeye. It's pretty obvious they added it on and it wasn't in the original intended release.

It was amusing hearing the couple next me in the theatre saying "who is that?" "Oh they're from the show, you know, the Disney plus one. We need to watch it" "oh, that's strange, why'd they do that". Will definitely confuse a lot of casual watchers.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Barry Convex posted:

good episode, dug all the easter eggs, wish there had been more screen time to develop the other Lokis

villain speculation: I think the villain will be revealed to be yet another Loki, and that Kang will be relegated to a mention or cameo. yes, I know there are the various Easter eggs and characters who are closely tied to Kang in the comics, but Kang hasn't even been mentioned in dialogue. for your mystery villain reveal to work properly, there has to be setup within the context of the story you're actually telling, not purely in relation to the source material will eat crow if wrong!

I agree. Plus, it feels like too big of a reveal. If Kang is going to be the big bad of a giant blockbuster there's no way he's gonna make a major appearance on TV first. I bet we'll get a cameo appearance for his debut, just like Thanos.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm now somewhat convinced Kang is involved in some fashion but I don't think he's gonna be the main antagonist, no. Probably just a tease or something.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm telling you, it's Miss Minutes. That's HER castle and giant purple smoke guard dog.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kammat posted:

Also was Mobius driving the Pixar Pizza car? :swoon:

There were similarities, but no. The Pixar Pizza car is called Pizza Planet. This was...something else. And the Pixar one has a rocket ship on top. This one had a slice of pizza on top.

I suppose having him drive Lightning McQueen would have been too obvious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How have people seen Black Widow already? It doesn't come out until Friday.

The Void was literally Easter Egg, the setting.
Stuff i saw that was not directly referanced
Helicarrier
Dark Astor
Thanos Copter
Red Skulls FW Triebflügel
Polybus machine
The Great Lighthouse directly from Civ6[spoiler]

Inside the [spoiler] castle is going to be another Loki, it's like on American Dad when they go visit someone and it turns out to be Roger

mutata posted:

I'm telling you, it's Miss Minutes. That's HER castle and giant purple smoke guard dog.

Or its actually Tara Strong doing her best Dolly impression.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah I still believe it's not Kang. I'm holding to my Loki variant theory. There's still a couple of scenes from the trailers we havent seen yet and I doubt that's TVA Loki.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Because all the military hoo-rah type stuff bores me to tears (couldn't even finish that second captain america film everyone gets jazzed about), I couldn't make it through FAWS. Is there any key future of the MCU stuff I need to know from that? I will never watch it.

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah I still believe it's not Kang. I'm holding to my Loki variant theory. There's still a couple of scenes from the trailers we havent seen yet and I doubt that's TVA Loki.

They've avoided doing any of the flat circle style time travel stuff where the end is also the beginning so far, which is good because that always feels like a cop-out, and now you're getting me worried that's exactly what's going to happen next week. Like, it's a Loki that got erased by the TVA who then created the TVA in order to eventually free himself, or something equally terrible.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 7, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

How have people seen Black Widow already? It doesn't come out until Friday.

Limited preshowings in Australia and New Zealand yesterday (7th), wide release today (8th). We often get Marvel movies before the rest of the world, for whatever reason. I remember seeing civil war at a midnight release and it worked out almost a week before the US.

AMA about Black Widow, I guess.

The Grumbles posted:

Because all the military hoo-rah type stuff bores me to tears (couldn't even finish that second captain america film everyone gets jazzed about), I couldn't make it through FAWS. Is there any key future of the MCU stuff I need to know from that? I will never watch it.

:siren: BW spoiler on what FAWS stuff is relevant :siren:

Countess Fontaine appears in the post credits scene. she is set up in the last episode of FATWS where she recruits USAgent.

BW spoiler explanation of the scene of the scene

Yelena is in the same gig that USAgent is presumably in and picks up a mission from the countess to assassinate Hawkeye to avenge Black Widow. Seems like dark Avengers.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 7, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Lucky you. I can't go to the movies (delta variant is breaking havoc in my city and I'm still waiting for my second shot) and D+ premiere is crazy expensive.

:smith:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

No, the outcome of FATWS is pretty much what was supposed to happen after Endgame: Steve Rogers is gone and Sam is Captain America. They added convolutions in FATWS but the whole series was pretty superfluous, especially compared to something like Wandavision.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Firebert posted:

No, the outcome of FATWS is pretty much what was supposed to happen after Endgame: Steve Rogers is gone and Sam is Captain America. They added convolutions in FATWS but the whole series was pretty superfluous, especially compared to something like Wandavision.

It's tangentially relevant, I added it to my post above.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Desperado Bones posted:

Lucky you. I can't go to the movies (delta variant is breaking havoc in my city and I'm still waiting for my second shot) and D+ premiere is crazy expensive.

:smith:

Ah drat. I am planning to go Friday, even though i have to get up at 5:30am to get to work that day. Nova Scotia is one of the best places for dealing with Covid in North America.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Grumbles posted:

(couldn't even finish that second captain america film everyone gets jazzed about)

There are a lot of things I could say about Winter Soldier, the movie that explicitly says that the Nazis learned things about being evil from the US Government and that they were able to take over because there was functionally no difference in what they wanted and what the military-industrial complex wanted, but "military hoo rah" would not be one of them. The climax is literally saying the United States government can't be trusted to do the right thing and that our heroes will be ignoring them from then on.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Black Widow will be on Disney+ for the $30 new movie markup or whatever. So at least there's that? :/

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
(Lokis fight scene) wtf am I watching and how is this so great and how did it happen whattt

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mulva posted:

There are a lot of things I could say about Winter Soldier, the movie that explicitly says that the Nazis learned things about being evil from the US Government and that they were able to take over because there was functionally no difference in what they wanted and what the military-industrial complex wanted, but "military hoo rah" would not be one of them. The climax is literally saying the United States government can't be trusted to do the right thing and that our heroes will be ignoring them from then on.

Yea that's like the people on a discord i'm in talking about how they wish Captain America wasn't a thing anymore because he's just Propaganda and I was "dude do you not know why Cap was created? Jack Kirby hated nazis, and made an Ayran Superman that would punch the poo poo out of Hitler because gently caress NAZIS was The Kings motto" and then told them about Kirby wanting to fight some nazis that came to the offices. Cap is the promise of America, the good is could and should be doing. He has always been shown to stand up for people and human rights, against who ever is coming for them, be them nazis, aliens or their own Government. If Steve Rogers was a real person, he would have choke slammed Trump the first chance he got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mutata posted:

Black Widow will be on Disney+ for the $30 new movie markup or whatever. So at least there's that? :/

yeah. I don't see anything wrong with it just to make it clear, although the fee is a bit too high I'm glad a lot of people will have that option!

In my case I'm gonna have to do like the old days :pirate: