Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wood burning is also largely carbon neutral if you allow the trees to regrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

those awful dirty sub saharan people and their awful, dirty food cooking ways

https://twitter.com/DukeAlumni/status/1412463157021446147

lol check this out

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

They can always move to Victorville.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Wood burning is bad

Biomass burning is good.

:psyduck:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Wood burning is bad

Biomass burning is good.

:psyduck:

"why does this brisket taste like poo poo?"

"oh, don't worry honey, it's fine, i smoked it in our new biomass smoker using organic smoking materials"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

quote:

a just-published analysis suggests that replacing the traditional, wood-burning stoves in sub-Saharan Africa alone with more efficient technology would be enough to offset the carbon emissions of Belgium or Florida

Lol it's a loving drop in the bucket globally and it's just to let old people justify running the AC 24/7 in their inhospitable swamp

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Getting rid of Florida would accomplish the same thing, let's do that one

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

taqueso posted:

Getting rid of Florida would accomplish the same thing, let's do that one

Florida resident, couldn't agree more.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i think that's already in the plans

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Flesh Forge posted:

those awful dirty sub saharan people and their awful, dirty food cooking ways

https://twitter.com/DukeAlumni/status/1412463157021446147

There's a real problem with particulates and air quality leading to lung illnesses in places where open fires are used for cooking.

Carbon emissions are not the biggest issue.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

NightGyr posted:

There's a real problem with particulates and air quality leading to lung illnesses in places where open fires are used for cooking.

then why cast it in the light of “green tech” or bring up that it would offset Florida’s carbon emissions rather than as a public health issue

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Because they know that nobody is gonna loving care about that sorta public health issue in not America. They will care if it means they can turn the AC from 68 to 66 and still feel like they're helping tho.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Source4Leko posted:

Because they know that nobody is gonna loving care about that sorta public health issue in not America. They will care if it means they can turn the AC from 68 to 66 and still feel like they're helping tho.

no they won’t lol. the people who don’t give a poo poo about public health don’t believe climate change exists

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/ThankYouYeezy/status/1412743579638841346?s=20

el
oh
el

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I suspect the point is more along the lines of giving people a justification for feeling that doing nothing is doing great. “at least I use an electric stove, unlike those backwards Africans”.

Kind of the next evolution on “but there’s so many of them!”, this time pretending like they’re worse on an individual level and not just in aggregate. The latter obviously also being false, but let’s ignore that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Imagine the CO2 savings if we upgraded sub-Saharan Africans’ dishwashers to A labels.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

NightGyr posted:

pretty sure that is 100% American venture capitalists doing venture capitalist poo poo and zero % concern for lung illnesses among locals

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

yeah if we are fantasizing about labor camps for billionaire shitheads why are we putting them in jobs which should not exist at all like loving call centers?

it's a potemkin torture village where people on holiday can go to watch people who used to be rich do the things they used to do. you go through the check-out line and you tell peter thiel he rung the cheese up twice, then you spit on the bills before you hand them to him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that’s not really the sort of behavior you want to encourage in people, especially if it’s billed as a special getaway to look forward to

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Totally not looking forward to making GBS threads in bezo mouth, that would be rude and uncouth.

Is what I would say if I gave a gently caress about the rich.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Flesh Forge posted:

A guy in sub-Saharan Africa is roasting a bird on a wood stove, we at Duke are investing in green technologies that we will manufacture in Asia and transport to them via overland cargo truck

Pretty sure we burned a billion acres of forest every year in our annual “it’s hot AF” wildfires. How many wood stone African dinners does that convert to?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god we can have one white bear for billionaires it won't subvert the revolution

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1413313210736943105?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

obvious poo poo aside, that lede is confusing. how do you have two apartments and still be considered a “homeowner”

e: oh, buy. lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You guys all seem to have missed the key phrase in that article, which is "can offset carbon emissions."

Nobody gives a poo poo what the carbon footprint of those farmers is, they care about being able to claim a "provable" carbon offset that can be sold as an indulgence to a bank executive so that they can claim that they are carbon neutral with receipts. One trip to Aruba can be offset by ten thousand Africans getting shouted at to stop burning wood for cooking and heat by unpaid Gates Foundation interns who flew there to do the yelling.

If you buy carbon offsets, this is the type of utter horseshit you're paying money for.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
so, yeah

https://twitter.com/AlexTMcNair/status/1412945070802841607

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

scary ghost dog posted:

lol check this out

listen we can't save the planet without opening up new markets for multinational petroleum corporations

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/radhamely/status/1413534884946227202

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress the Times goes out of their way to make this loving rear end in a top hat seem sympathetic, and then rail against basically any sort of tenant protection:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/09/nyregion/rent-landlord-eviction-moratorium.html

quote:

For more than a year, Vanie Mangal, a physician assistant at a Connecticut hospital, called relatives to tell them that their loved ones were dying of Covid-19, watched as patients gasped their final breaths and feared that she herself would get sick.

Ms. Mangal found no respite from stress when she went home. She is a landlord who rents the basement and first-floor apartments at her home in Queens, and for the past year, conflicts with her tenants have poisoned the atmosphere in her house.

The first-floor tenants have not paid rent in 15 months, bang on the ceiling below her bed at all hours for no apparent reason and yell, curse and spit at her, Ms. Mangal said. A tenant in the basement apartment also stopped paying rent, keyed Ms. Mangal’s car and dumped packages meant for her by the garbage. After Ms. Mangal got an order of protection and then a warrant for the tenant’s arrest, the woman and her daughter moved out.

In years past, Ms. Mangal, 31, could have taken her tenants to housing court and sought to evict them. But during the pandemic, the federal government and many states, including New York, imposed eviction moratoriums to protect renters who had lost their income. The moratoriums have been widely praised by housing advocates for preventing millions of people from becoming homeless.

At the same time, those broad protections have created tremendous financial — and emotional — strain for smaller landlords like Ms. Mangal, who often lack the deep pockets to survive without payments. And in New York City, there are a lot of those small landlords: An estimated 28 percent of the city’s roughly 2.3 million rental units are owned by landlords who have fewer than five properties, according to JustFix.nyc, a technology company that tracks property ownership.

The lede here is deeply, deeply buried:

quote:

Ms. Mangal never wanted to be a landlord. For years, she had lived in the upstairs unit of the house, owned by her mother, as just another tenant with her boyfriend, though she paid the “daughter discount” of $900 a month. Her mother, Ahutey Mangal, 70, collected $1,600 for the first-floor unit and $800 for the basement apartment.

Together it was enough for the mortgage, about $2,400 a month, and to pay for maintenance and unexpected repairs. Ahutey Mangal also owns three other homes on the quiet side street in South Ozone Park, a collection of rental properties that she had poured her life’s earnings into as investments for her two children.

:thermidor:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
my favorite bit is how she won’t apply for government relief because she wouldn’t be able to raise rents for a year

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bobby Digital posted:

my favorite bit is how she won’t apply for government relief because she wouldn’t be able to raise rents for a year

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/wyrdtweeter/status/1413701758346579970?s=21

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i hope her entire situation gets blown the gently caress up.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Thanatosian posted:

Holy gently caress the Times goes out of their way to make this loving rear end in a top hat seem sympathetic, and then rail against basically any sort of tenant protection:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/09/nyregion/rent-landlord-eviction-moratorium.html

The lede here is deeply, deeply buried:

:thermidor:

I don’t really want to be landlord

*buys 3 houses

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don’t really want to be landlord

*buys 3 houses

she was telling the truth though, she didn't want to be a landlord which has some registrations and in-name-only regulations attached

she wanted to be way more unaccountable then that

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t want to be a landlord. I want to be a slumlord

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

even "per capita" is misleading since 20-odd companies account for some 70% of emissions. its mostly just offloading blame onto the people in various areas those companies have significant operations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

i hope her entire situation gets blown the gently caress up.

One finger on the monkey's paw curls.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1413618681053999106?s=20

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Anyone quote Mao's thoughts on landlords to her? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Horseshoe theory posted: