Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
drat that sammy vlog was great.

I also didn't mean for my Dark GDT last night to take over as the main thread, but the old one is closed now. I do kind of like the idea of a single weekly GDT for Elevation & Dark that just hangs around as a discussion thread until the next week. potentially separated if they end up feeling like distinctly different shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

Also, yeah, they seem to like Penelope and Bunny and Deeb being gatekeepers.

Deeb and Bunny I can understand, but Penelope is really inconsistent and they'd be better off with someone like Diamante in that spot.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Defenestrategy posted:

They might think they don't need her, considering the joshi's can start to regularly come in and out of the states [emi/yuka/riho] it's not like the show is hurting for women even with Anna Jay out on injury. I mean Leva hasn't been seen outside of BTE in a long time, Mel was probably sitting out for covid, they're not doing anything with Jade beyond hawking coupons, Penelope and Bunny are only now getting more ring time.

Clearly they don't think they need her but that's just insane to me. Of the 20 women on the official AEW roster, two are based in Japan (now that Riho is US based), another two--Brandi and Leva--aren't consistently wrestling (even putting aside maternity leave), and Mel was never meaningfully part of the roster (and is terrible) which means that a full quarter of the roster is essentially missing. On paper, Diamante is exactly the sort of wrestler they need; a consistent, mid-card scrapper who could be a face or a heel depending on what they need. I have always been inclined to roll my eyes at the people who say that AEW doesn't care about the women's division but I think there might be more validity to it know than I did an hour ago.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
With things opening back up it's kinda important to have indies again. AEW can't sign everyone, but if AEW doesn't pull the Triple H strategy of robbings the indies then standout talents can make good money for a 1-2 month tour then go home and draw bigger gates with their usual company. I don't live in a big wrestling market but if my local indie guy is suddenly on AEW for a month it's probably going to bring in casual AEW fans to the shows.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Deeb and Bunny I can understand, but Penelope is really inconsistent and they'd be better off with someone like Diamante in that spot.

Maybe. Forgot to list Velvet too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Diamante will be back

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not a fan of Diamante but I thought she was signed already.

I never posted this but in my opinion they should sign a bunch like Diamante and Kilynn King.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Defenestrategy posted:

They might think they don't need her, considering the joshi's can start to regularly come in and out of the states [emi/yuka/riho] it's not like the show is hurting for women even with Anna Jay out on injury. I mean Leva hasn't been seen outside of BTE in a long time, Mel was probably sitting out for covid, they're not doing anything with Jade beyond hawking coupons, Penelope and Bunny are only now getting more ring time. Abadon has been murdering people on Dark. Thunder Rosa and Serena may as well be AEW now.

Just to point out Serena has been AEW for a long time, people just keep thinking she's NWA cause she had the title.

Also I just think it's a big weird that AEW would just immediately dump all the people they picked up in Florida and go right back to depending on the Joshis to just be the entire women's division again, as if we weren't still in the midst of a global crisis that impacts people's ability to travel internationally. I mean Japan literally just went into another state of emergency after a massive covid spike, it's entirely possible they have to shut down travel again and now we're just right back where we were in February 2020.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I feel like some of these people who aren't signed are still going to show up again in the future when they're in the same areas and such.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Drakkel posted:

Just to point out Serena has been AEW for a long time, people just keep thinking she's NWA cause she had the title.

Also I just think it's a big weird that AEW would just immediately dump all the people they picked up in Florida and go right back to depending on the Joshis to just be the entire women's division again, as if we weren't still in the midst of a global crisis that impacts people's ability to travel internationally. I mean Japan literally just went into another state of emergency after a massive covid spike, it's entirely possible they have to shut down travel again and now we're just right back where we were in February 2020.
:psyduck: Half of their current women's roster are from the pandemic era

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Everyone can't get signed. There is a lot of talent and competition at AEW and difficult decisions have to be made. I'm sure nobody has thought those decisions through more than Tony Khan and the EVP's with the company, and all of them know more about who will be a good fit with what they're doing on a day-to-day basis than we do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AEW why must you toy with my emotions Fuego nooooo :cry:

Diamante's fine but she's not like an essential pickup. She's not been on Dynamite in months

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Diamante's fine but she's not like an essential pickup. She’s not been on Dynamite in months

:mrwhite:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Have absolutely no clue how you could see the division in the pandemic dark era and the division now and conclude they're exactly the same.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fawning deference posted:

Everyone can't get signed. There is a lot of talent and competition at AEW and difficult decisions have to be made. I'm sure nobody has thought those decisions through more than Tony Khan and the EVP's with the company, and all of them know more about who will be a good fit with what they're doing on a day-to-day basis than we do.

username post combo!

Seriously, I'm sure people will get spots. Just not right now. AEW, like every major TV promotion has to deal with injuries and replacements due to injuries. There will be plenty of opportunities. And my understanding is the internal focus is on people who can do more than just work matches and bullshit in the back.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

lol at Abadon on this list

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Shida not making it on Dynamite in any capacity after losing the belt is insane.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Diamanté was at Britt’s hamburger party,

Also, not that it matters, but Fightful reported last week that yes, Mel is still on the roster, but no they’re not planning on using her again anytime soon. Apparently she never dropped her day job and has been doing that and local indies.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Just had a thought.

Orange Cassidy: TNT Champ or AEW Champ
Kris Statlander: AEW Women's Champ
Best Friends: Tag Champs

could be done at any point they want to.

Though Orange as AEW Champ feels like it would be a transitional kind of thing (right now)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just had a thought.

WARDLOW: TNT Champ or AEW Champ
WARDLOW: AEW Women's Champ
WARDLOW and WARDLOW: Tag Champs

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rarity posted:

AEW why must you toy with my emotions Fuego nooooo :cry:

Diamante's fine but she's not like an essential pickup. She's not been on Dynamite in months

That bit at the end of the vlog got me pretty good. I was like after all the Friendlympics stuff, you're just gonna resolve it like THAT -- and then they cut back and Cody's insanity gave me hope

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I want more spooky stuff, AEW. do more spooky stuff.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just had a thought.

:hmmyes:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just had a thought.

:wardlow:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm fine with Shida dropping back to Elevation or the undercard to prove herself worthy of another rematch. She beat everyone on the roster at least once and she was (In kayfabe) upset about it enough to cut half her hair off and start from the bottom. Former champions should either have something lined up unrelated to the title they lost (Like Jericho/Inner Circle having another storyline) or use their clout to help build new people.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I just think there should probably be (at least) two women's matches on most dynamites

:colbert:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Honestly AEW's biggest problem is they have a lot of stuff I want to see more of and not enough tv time to do it all. I think the women's division gets the shaft more than the others but I'm hopeful these problems will be fixed once Rampage starts up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shida's gonna start a fight club

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

Shida's gonna start a fight club

Given how well she booked the women's title tournament, I'd trust her with something like that.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Shard posted:

Honestly AEW's biggest problem is they have a lot of stuff I want to see more of and not enough tv time to do it all. I think the women's division gets the shaft more than the others but I'm hopeful these problems will be fixed once Rampage starts up.

yeah, I'm not holding my breath tbh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just got this in my email:

https://www.allelitecrate.com/

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm excited for Rampage for this very reason. Realistically you're getting 4 or 5 matches on Dynamite, one or two being women's matches is actually about in line with how many people are on the roster and how many championships there are.

They are pushing Britt hard in the advertising for Rampage (since it's in Pittsburgh) so I wonder if that means she'll get to main event again.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Diamante's arcs on Dark/Elevation made me wonder if they were testing her as a potential midcard fixture for when Rampage launches because she got multiple promos; I would be interested in seeing her come back in that capacity even if I don't think her ringwork makes her a must-sign. Plus she does the cool gun thing

In general I hope going back on the road and getting an extra hour of TV time lest the company build up more stories outside of the title picture and faction warfare. People focus on the women's division but the amount of attention the tag teams get can wax and wane too, especially when the Bucks were more embroiled in Kenny-centric stories. And I assume the reason a bunch of solo men have been shuffled into tag teams or bigger groups is because you're seldom going to have time to make, say, a Scorpio Sky solo match on TV

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dunno about the tag scene waning, feels like the Bucks put on absolute bangers with new teams ever single week

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope its random wrestler gear like hangman's used socks.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The tag scene has heated back up with the FTR vs. Santana and Ortiz feud (which is probably one of my favorite builds right now) but for a while it was in the same situation the women's division was - The Acclaimed or Varsity Blonds would build up their records on Dark and Elevation then lose on Dynamite, either in a title match or to make someone elses win look more impressive, then they'd go back to Dark or Elevation.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I said it before and I know people groan and I admit I'm really pessimistic about it. I'll try to lighten up about it going forward.

That said, you can make some pretty easy comparisons between how other divisions champions are treated post-loss. Like, Jericho and Moxley and Cody all transitioned right into new stories after losing their titles, FTR kinda floated around for a bit then joined Pinnacle. SCU went into a Dark Order feud for a while but that just kinda stopped once Brodie appeared and now they're dissolved so I'd say they probably got the worst of it for the men.

Meanwhile, Riho lost the title and (understandably) vanished until she was able to come back for the tournament, but after that just vanished again. Nyla lost the title and then her story after that was "I never get booked anymore and I'm pissed off" until Vickie came along and then her story became "Actually I don't even wanna be on the show" until the tournament happened, then didn't do much until the Baker feud started. Shida lost the title and got a haircut.

Also I don't think you can really call "She's just farming Dark to grind her way back up unto the rankings" a storyline cause that can basically describe everyone who wrestles on Dark.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

xbilkis posted:

Diamante's arcs on Dark/Elevation made me wonder if they were testing her as a potential midcard fixture for when Rampage launches because she got multiple promos; I would be interested in seeing her come back in that capacity even if I don't think her ringwork makes her a must-sign. Plus she does the cool gun thing

In general I hope going back on the road and getting an extra hour of TV time lest the company build up more stories outside of the title picture and faction warfare. People focus on the women's division but the amount of attention the tag teams get can wax and wane too, especially when the Bucks were more embroiled in Kenny-centric stories. And I assume the reason a bunch of solo men have been shuffled into tag teams or bigger groups is because you're seldom going to have time to make, say, a Scorpio Sky solo match on TV
It's probably more complicated than that. Scorpio turned heel and there's currently two heel champions so he doesn't have much going for him in single's competition.

He's a great second to Ethan in his long-time feud against Darby because his directly rival is Sting. Sting also gets the benefit of working with Scorpio who a long-time vet, a former AEW champ, and a very safe worker. Sting gets his "You've still got it" moments with Scorpio, while Scorpio can still get heel heat against Sting because he's so safe and then Darby and Ethan Page can just beat the poo poo out of each other. It gets all four guys over.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah FTR/PNP is basically the platonic ideal of a non-championship feud and I would hope AEW could pull it off a lot more in the upper midcard.

Obviously it helps to have the Pinnacle/Inner Circle backdrop to heighten the intensity, but at its core you've got two really good tag teams who are fighting for a chance to move up the card. Right now you could pick two names from Shida/Deeb/Tay/Statlander/Riho/Thunder Rosa/etc. and set em up to feud over being next in line after Nyla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

I said it before and I know people groan and I admit I'm really pessimistic about it. I'll try to lighten up about it going forward.

That said, you can make some pretty easy comparisons between how other divisions champions are treated post-loss. Like, Jericho and Moxley and Cody all transitioned right into new stories after losing their titles, FTR kinda floated around for a bit then joined Pinnacle. SCU went into a Dark Order feud for a while but that just kinda stopped once Brodie appeared and now they're dissolved so I'd say they probably got the worst of it for the men.

Meanwhile, Riho lost the title and (understandably) vanished until she was able to come back for the tournament, but after that just vanished again. Nyla lost the title and then her story after that was "I never get booked anymore and I'm pissed off" until Vickie came along and then her story became "Actually I don't even wanna be on the show" until the tournament happened, then didn't do much until the Baker feud started. Shida lost the title and got a haircut.

Also I don't think you can really call "She's just farming Dark to grind her way back up unto the rankings" a storyline cause that can basically describe everyone who wrestles on Dark.

You tried to make this point a few days ago and I see since you were told it was wrong you had to change it up just slightly, but Nyla was on the next show after she lost the title. Meanwhile Moxley was gone for weeks after he lost the belt. She had a title match in between picking up Vickie and the tournament too!