Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sliami posted:

if u told me six years ago what sad little egg man vox day would be doing in 2021, "racist webtoon" would b a surprise

Naah, man has always been that particular flavour of online fash. I was actually surprised when I learned that he was a published author of actual books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Darth Walrus posted:

Naah, man has always been that particular flavour of online fash. I was actually surprised when I learned that he was a published author of actual books.

Don't be too impressed. Most of his recent work appears to be published through Castalia House, where he's the co-founder.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edge & Christian posted:

Something I hadn't thought about in forever until all of this came out was a very old email exchange I had with [Warren Ellis] back in like... 1995? 1996?

He'd written a column on his Compuserve website/proto-blog SMOKE DAMAGE that essentially had this thesis:

I wrote an earnest early teenage response about how this is an incredibly flawed argument, and that I have many friends who read comics, and none of them buy Spawn, and etc. etc. etc. He replied quickly about how yes, exactly, this was A TEST, he knew it was a horribly flawed argument and wanted to see who would call him on it, it was an experiment on who would call him on his bullshit and I was one of the special few who passed the test, and he would soon follow up with the results of this experiment.

Did you see his blog after Heath Ledger died? He went off on one about how Ledger was a lovely human being who had not only taken his life like a coward but had left his body for his young daughter to find. Then it came out within a few days that Ledger died as the result of an accidental overdose of meds he was taking for mental health issues and his daughter wasn't even in the apartment. Instead of apologising Ellis responded that obviously he'd just been doing a Spider style rant and the people who had corrected him were too stupid to understand that.

Well, Warren, you seemed pretty drat authentic to me. So I guess since I'm too stupid to understand what you write, you won't be wanting me to waste my money buying it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Fish posted:

There was a weird stretch of time, perhaps still ongoing, when the comics discourse around Moore was that he was obsessed with rape, and over the course of this interview he makes, I think, a compelling case for why he treats sex the way he does in fiction.
His defense of his use of the golliwog character is less compelling though.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 9, 2021

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Does your state have Anti-SLAPP laws? It's a great way to fight back if they are suing you to be quiet.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jin Wicked posted:

Minnesota; not that I recall from the last time I checked.

We tried in 2017 but the state supreme court shot it down.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 8, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've snipped all the posts that quoted things you edited out. Best of luck to you, JW.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/1412106753282428931

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Dale Keown joining Comiscgate is such a bummer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

E the Shaggy posted:

Goddammit. I was just saying the other day he was one of the few big '90s Image guys that I thought was really good. That fuckin' sucks.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

How many comics has Dale Keown even drawn in the last 10 years?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

E the Shaggy posted:

He really is the pitts.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

He really is the pitts.

boooooooooooooooo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

It's true. He's got a lot more talent than EVS but his production manages to be even slower, so I guess Ethan didn't see him as a threat. I'm sure they'll have a hilarious falling out anyway eventually.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Splint Chesthair posted:

I'll do you one better and do the 21st Century, not counting covers:

2001: The Darkness v1 #40, Superman #170
2002: Incredible Hulk: The End #1
2003: The Darkness v2 #1-3, parts of issues 4-5, 6
2004: The Darkness / Incredible Hulk #1
2005:
2006:
2007:
2008:
2019:
2010: Two pages of Hulk v2 #23
2012: Ten pages of Hulk/Wolverine in A+X #1
2013:
2014: Avengers #34.1 (a Hyperion spotlight fill-in from the Hickman run, written by Al Ewing)
2015:
2016:
2017:
2018:
2019: Incredible Hulk: Last Call #1
2020: Ten pages of Maestro #1, three page back-ups in Maestro #2-3, 5.
2020: Avengers #26 (the Stone Age Star Brand issue from the current run)
2021: Avengers #39 (the Stone Age Phoenix issue), Heroes Reborn #2 (Hyperion spotlight issue)

He's been comparably incredibly prolific the past few years, but that still averages out to barely a full issue a year.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Hulk: The End is one of my favorite comics. Keown is a good artist so it’s a shame to see him join comicsgate.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 8, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jin Wicked posted:

I have pretty much been bullied out of my local comic book convention for speaking publicly about what happened to me, so I think I am done with the "comics" industry. There are some nice individuals, but what a rotten group.

Sucks, chief. What group is that, or is it something you'd rather not share?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

I'll do you one better and do the 21st Century, not counting covers:

2001: The Darkness v1 #40, Superman #170
2002: Incredible Hulk: The End #1
2003: The Darkness v2 #1-3, parts of issues 4-5, 6
2004: The Darkness / Incredible Hulk #1
2005:
2006:
2007:
2008:
2019:
2010: Two pages of Hulk v2 #23
2012: Ten pages of Hulk/Wolverine in A+X #1
2013:
2014: Avengers #34.1 (a Hyperion spotlight fill-in from the Hickman run, written by Al Ewing)
2015:
2016:
2017:
2018:
2019: Incredible Hulk: Last Call #1
2020: Ten pages of Maestro #1, three page back-ups in Maestro #2-3, 5.
2020: Avengers #26 (the Stone Age Star Brand issue from the current run)
2021: Avengers #39 (the Stone Age Phoenix issue), Heroes Reborn #2 (Hyperion spotlight issue)

He's been comparably incredibly prolific the past few years, but that still averages out to barely a full issue a year.

Yeah, that's the stuff. Dude's done less over the last two decades than Scottie Young did on those Wizard of Oz books alone. (Don't ask me why that's my point of comparison, I don't know.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would imagine losing all the original Pitt art to a storage auction has to eat at him every day.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. He's got a lot more talent than EVS but his production manages to be even slower, so I guess Ethan didn't see him as a threat. I'm sure they'll have a hilarious falling out anyway eventually.

Van Sciver is already molding him into the new Mark S. Miller (the rear end in a top hat that the assholes bully):

https://twitter.com/Brian_Babin/status/1412263206781952004?s=20

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 7, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I hate how much this strikes a nerve with me (wanted to post here instead of the movie/TV threads since I feel that this place is more appropriate)
https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1412811409772142596

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I hate how much this strikes a nerve with me (wanted to post here instead of the movie/TV threads since I feel that this place is more appropriate)
https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1412811409772142596

I get and agree with the point they're trying to make here, but those are really bad examples. Marvel does a ton of makeup, seemingly whenever possible (meaning it's a human sized humanoid and not just a henchman) and they don't like... CGI clothes onto people.

Why didn't they go with set builders and stunt people?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I get and agree with the point they're trying to make here, but those are really bad examples. Marvel does a ton of makeup, seemingly whenever possible (meaning it's a human sized humanoid and not just a henchman) and they don't like... CGI clothes onto people.

Why didn't they go with set builders and stunt people?

Yeah, the only instance of CG clothes I know of is the white time suits in Avengers Endgame, those are all digital - and only because there wasn't time in the schedule to design and fabricate them all for real. Marvel knows that real looks better whenever you can do it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
zoe saldana just bathing in green paint before every GOTG shooting day because there's no makeup team

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snackmar posted:

Yeah, the only instance of CG clothes I know of is the white time suits in Avengers Endgame, those are all digital - and only because there wasn't time in the schedule to design and fabricate them all for real. Marvel knows that real looks better whenever you can do it

They use CG clothes a lot but it's in addition to an actual outfit. Black Panther in Civil War was entirely CG but they still had a person on set in a suit to use as a reference.

Same for Hela in Ragnarok; for most of the film Blanchett wore a mocap tracking stuff but it was built into her costume rather than being a bodysuit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snackmar posted:

The director of the upcoming Eternals had to fight for location shooting instead of cgi backdrops because Kevin Fiege had forgotten sunsets are pretty.

Kevin Fiege posted:

We cut a little sample reel together, I remember, to show [Disney higher-ups]. And it was so beautiful, and I had to keep saying, “This is right out of a camera; there’s no VFX work to this at all!” Because it was a beautiful sunset, with perfect waves and mist coming up from the shore on this giant cliffside — really, really impressive stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

The director of the upcoming Eternals had to fight for location shooting instead of cgi backdrops because Kevin Fiege had forgotten sunsets are pretty.

Have you seen the resolution of reality these days? :aaaaa:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This feels like that conspiracy theory that game companies make file download sizes big so you can install fewer games in that it seems like a thing a company would do but if you sit and think about it literally at all for five minutes it starts to fall apart.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel like over usage of CGI in movies is something that doesn’t fit the parameters of what this thread is for. I think CD would be better suited for something like that.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 9, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
On it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1415308449018224640?s=19

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

There will absolutely be more hats made bearing the ALL CAPS COMICS logo than comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

What an embarrassing loving hat.