Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Did a headunit swap. Couldn't loving find the problem that kept popping fuses after install, then accidentally put the wrong fuse in the wrong socket.

I found out where the issue was when the steering wheel control TRS cable I put on the years ago started smoking and melting.

Good thing the dash was open holy gently caress that was scary. I incorrectly identified a wire on the forward harness and the new headunit was sending ~15 amps THROUGH the control wire because of my carelessness.

Eesh. I should've used my multimeter to find the problem.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

glyph posted:

Granted this was almost 20 years ago now, but I ran into something similar with an ex's Integra where someone had put a single filament bulb (I can remember if the single filament is 1156 or 1157) in a socket for a dual filament bulb, bridging the two circuits, which created a situation where hitting the brakes would light the parking lights. We scratched our heads over it for WEEKS trying to figure out wtf was going on, because the car was otherwise solid as a rock. The situation was only resolved when we mentioned it during the intake for an inspection [in Honolulu], where a Mister Miyagi lookin' greybeard overheard us, silently walked to the back of the car, swapped the bulb and resolved it once and for all.

Now that I"m thinking about it, "someone" must have bumped up the fuses for those circuits as well, because they should probably have popped, right? Or do I have that backwards?

I see a vic takes a 3/4157 bulb, could it be that there's a single "filament" LED (3156?) in the socket instead?

This was while swapping in aftermarket self-contained LED taillamp assemblies that the PO included with the car, so no bulbs at all - they plug in to the stock sockets (both of which are 3157). Not sure if only one plug should go in, or what - the wiring is kinda funky on them (and the wiring in the trunk is fifty kinds of heehawed), and there's no instructions or even a brand name on them.

The sockets are keyed such that a single filament bulb wouldn't cause that. Even if you got it forced in, it'd still work the brighter filament.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This cheap tubing bender works great for copper nickel brake line.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

StormDrain posted:

This cheap tubing bender works great for copper nickel brake line.

Oh look at this 1%er who put the flare nut on BEFORE flaring and bending the tube.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

chrisgt posted:

Oh look at this 1%er who put the flare nut on BEFORE flaring and bending the tube.

I made three lines last night and nailed it each time. Flare, slide two nuts on the line, flare. Not only did I always have nuts, I put them on in the right direction too. It was incredible.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

StormDrain posted:

I made three lines last night and nailed it each time. Flare, slide two nuts on the line, flare. Not only did I always have nuts, I put them on in the right direction too. It was incredible.

Burn the witch! :bahgawd:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

We turned a filthy but otherwise intact carburetor into this sparkling pile of parts.

Maybe it will become a carburetor again after the rebuild kit shows up! (?)

Also dropped a fuel tank to clean out a thankfully small puddle of varnish.

We got the top side pretty nice and clean but the bottom side needs more blasting and scraping to get the remaining patches of undercoating off. Once that's sorted it'll get rattled canned and all new rubber.

Speaking of which, boy that sure seems like an unnecessary number of vent lines.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

:frogout:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

This was while swapping in aftermarket self-contained LED taillamp assemblies that the PO included with the car, so no bulbs at all - they plug in to the stock sockets (both of which are 3157). Not sure if only one plug should go in, or what - the wiring is kinda funky on them (and the wiring in the trunk is fifty kinds of heehawed), and there's no instructions or even a brand name on them.

The sockets are keyed such that a single filament bulb wouldn't cause that. Even if you got it forced in, it'd still work the brighter filament.

Can confirm that those twilights will work with only one of the two pigtails plugged in. There’s some difference, maybe - mine seemed to change how they flashed with the turn signals, so maybe a resistor? Though mine included separate resistors, too. I just nodded in an external “LED” rated flasher, since the OEM is built into the Lighting Control Module, and of course has the fast blink bulb out indicator.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The RS got some Mountune upgrades. New triple pass radiator and intercooler. The intercooler is thicc!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
After having issues with penetration from the quarter to the heavy unibody structure that the door catch mounts to and the 115*+ heat wave recently I let the Miata sit for a bit.

Ended up going back to it today and finished welding the quarter out. Slowly getting there.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Did an oil change for the first time on this car. Magnetic plug had this much on it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I've had new front speakers for my BRZ sitting around for a month or so and I finally started installing them today. One of the initial hang ups was getting the right speaker adapter and plug adapter, since they are one of the components that use both Subaru and Toyota parts. I couldn't find anything conclusive on the speaker adapter, but in my reading I found some people just gut the stock speakers and use that, so that's what I tried. I ended up ordering a cheap set off eBay in case I don't like how the new speakers sound and want to return to stock, they were cheaper than what all the adapters would cost anyway.

First step is ripping out the cones

Then I used a jigsaw to cut out the spokes. Idk what I was thinking with that clamp in the previous picture. That all fell apart in about ten seconds and I just held it up by hand to finish.

Test fitting the new speaker

Wiring up

I only did one side today because my garage is only big enough to open one side of the car at a time. Doing some quick L-R comparisons the new speakers do have more low mids than the stocks, which I was hoping for, but also sound a little muffled. However I won't mess with the EQ until I get the other one in and I should be able to dial some of the high end back in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

The RS got some Mountune upgrades. New triple pass radiator and intercooler. The intercooler is thicc!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DrChu posted:

I only did one side today because my garage is only big enough to open one side of the car at a time. Doing some quick L-R comparisons the new speakers do have more low mids than the stocks, which I was hoping for, but also sound a little muffled. However I won't mess with the EQ until I get the other one in and I should be able to dial some of the high end back in.

Remember that speakers are mechanical devices and that the rubber suspension on them likely won't have been used since they were made and tested to see if they work. I've had headphones and speakers sound like rear end before I'd loosened them up with some reasonable volume tunes for an hour or so at which point they were buttery smooth and exactly what I was expecting.

So after you get them both in, fire some tunes through them for a while at decent volume and then start tweaking the EQ, you'd be surprised how different some drivers sound right out of the box.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Remember that speakers are mechanical devices and that the rubber suspension on them likely won't have been used since they were made and tested to see if they work. I've had headphones and speakers sound like rear end before I'd loosened them up with some reasonable volume tunes for an hour or so at which point they were buttery smooth and exactly what I was expecting.

So after you get them both in, fire some tunes through them for a while at decent volume and then start tweaking the EQ, you'd be surprised how different some drivers sound right out of the box.

I definitely expect them to sound different after they break in. The new ones are also mid bass drivers, rather than the full range the stock ones are. The car also has 3.5” and 1” speakers in the dash so I had a lot of the high end cut from the EQ because there’s so much treble stock, I’ll have to bring some of that back in now.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The only true non-project car in the fleet rolled 50k km and is now due for it's 50k/4yr service.
First component of this service: spark plugs.

The VAG 2.0T in it's "worked over" by Porsche variant.

Single 10mm bolt for the coil ground strap and the coil plug for all 4 is all it takes to get the harness bracket moved away. Single 10mm bolt holds the coil to the valve cover.

New plugs from Rock Auto were $56 shipped. Ruthenium, sounds fancy.

All 4 plugs looked like this. Appear healthy enough. Although, #4 (closest to the firewall) has some oil on the threads...

Oh....great. A valve cover leak.

I cleaned everything up and I'll check #4 again in 10k km. If it hasn't gotten worse, I'll budget for a new one (all of a whopping $32 dollars. Gotta love economies of scale) when the next set of plugs are due at 100k km.

All in this took 90m with me taking my time. I could do it again in 30 minutes for sure. Once again, the base model Macan was the right call. Maintenance has been stupid easy and straight forward and apart from a dumb penny pinching decision on the TPMS receiver harness by the rear drivers lower control arm, completely trouble free.

I also printed out a test wheel spacer to confirm that 20mm will work for the front wheels (well, for all 4 corners). Based on the tire/wheel/offset difference between the widest and narrowest wheel options, it should. Better to spend $2 on PLA to confirm before dropping $400 and finding out they rub / don't clear the guards.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 3, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Complete rearend out of the old poncho ready to put in the new one. Just need to get the front suspension and brakes out of the old one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Lost an air suspension bag, so out goes ride quality and leveling at camp. Swapped it out at camp. its either pull the wheel or pull the top plate, I elected to pull the top plate as I didn't want to unload the camper, or remove the wheel.

The axle/springs seem to have shifted. Here's a shot from time of install. This truck was built in an era of slide rules and floppy sloppy tolerances. Gotta go in and mod the top plates again to avoid this from happening again.

Driver's side:

Bonus camp shot:

Other minor gremlins: 2 glowplugs out, the easiest to get at ones. Thermoswitch connector is failing, so its causing intermittent no-glowplugs. another thing to sort, though not as big of a priority as suspension.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

G1 Insight grounds are a classic problem, and OEM 7th gen civic grounds are nicer and cheap.

Also I had no floormat hook, so I bent one up and mounted it with a rivnut in a hole that was already existing.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Think I either jumped a tooth on timing, or have a major engine issue. Good thing i want to spend thousands of dollars that i don't have.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Two warning lights seem to have swapped around on their own.

Missing: Check engine light, though P0455 is still stored.
New to the party: loose gas cap light

It is not the gas cap. There's a decently strong gas odor around the back of the car, but not from the filler neck. I'm gonna toss a vent solenoid at it, but I'm probably gonna have to drop the tank. :fuckoff:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Two warning lights seem to have swapped around on their own.

Missing: Check engine light, though P0455 is still stored.
New to the party: loose gas cap light

It is not the gas cap. There's a decently strong gas odor around the back of the car, but not from the filler neck. I'm gonna toss a vent solenoid at it, but I'm probably gonna have to drop the tank. :fuckoff:

Interesting. Mine just throws an evap code if the gas cap is loose.
BTW, the buyer for the Kia is coming up from Austin. The fact that they’re coming this distance for a *Kia* says a lot about the Austin car market.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have never seen a loose gas cap light. Neat.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They make special dash lights just for cars STR gets

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

taqueso posted:

They make special dash lights just for cars STR gets

:lol:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Not me, but my mother managed to whack my Sonata into a curb hard enough cause a tear down to the sidewall belts

Guess that's what happens when she's used to driving a Fit and I'm too lazy to transfer the child seat over so just lend her my car instead.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Today I diagnosed a bad cyl 3 coil pack on the wife's Crosstrek, thanks to it finally throwing a CEL. I'll have to verify it with a compression/leakdown test, but it's so intermittent that I'm leaning towards a coil that starts flaking out when it gets hot.

As an aside, anyone else have an AlldataDIY sub? I've got 5yr subs on both our main vehicles, but I noticed today the "new" version is apparently out. Instead of $20/yr or $35/5yr, it's jumping to $20/mo, $60/yr or $129/3yr, no discounts for having multiple vehicles. I'll probably keep paying it for our two main vehicles, but it sucks if I'm diagnosing or looking for "official" FSM details for a random car I'm working on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have one for a car I wanted access to TSB details on, but I generally look for the FSM on eBay. I have older cars, though, so your mileage might vary.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

I have never seen a loose gas cap light. Neat.

My Saturn had a "GAS CAP" warning that would pop up on the odometer, but only if the cap was loose enough to trip a gross evap leak code immediately after filling up. Seen it in plenty of early 00s GMs too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

STR posted:

My Saturn had a "GAS CAP" warning that would pop up on the odometer, but only if the cap was loose enough to trip a gross evap leak code immediately after filling up. Seen it in plenty of early 00s GMs too.

It's also possible I've never forgotten to put my gas cap on.

Nah that can't be right.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My Jeep has a reminder/indicator for it, but only if you make a fast right turn

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

My Jeep has a reminder/indicator for it, but only if you make a fast right turn

Oh boy I saw that one in action earlier this year.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

StormDrain posted:

Oh boy I saw that one in action earlier this year.

Same but with a Merc.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

PitViper posted:

Today I diagnosed a bad cyl 3 coil pack on the wife's Crosstrek, thanks to it finally throwing a CEL. I'll have to verify it with a compression/leakdown test, but it's so intermittent that I'm leaning towards a coil that starts flaking out when it gets hot.

As an aside, anyone else have an AlldataDIY sub? I've got 5yr subs on both our main vehicles, but I noticed today the "new" version is apparently out. Instead of $20/yr or $35/5yr, it's jumping to $20/mo, $60/yr or $129/3yr, no discounts for having multiple vehicles. I'll probably keep paying it for our two main vehicles, but it sucks if I'm diagnosing or looking for "official" FSM details for a random car I'm working on.
Move the coil to another cylinder and see if the misfire code changes cylinders along with it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

PBCrunch posted:

Move the coil to another cylinder and see if the misfire code changes cylinders along with it.

I would, but the last time I managed to get a CEL on it was 3-4 months ago. Also for Cyl 3. The $90 for a new coil is worth throwing at it so I hopefully don't have to mess with it again. It only does it occasionally after driving for 20-30 minutes, and my wife drives 5 minutes each way to get to work now. If it were my car, I'd be swapping coils around every day to narrow it down.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Krakkles posted:

I have one for a car I wanted access to TSB details on, but I generally look for the FSM on eBay. I have older cars, though, so your mileage might vary.

Yeah, the really old car (1992) I've got a set of paper FSMs for. The '05 Legacy and '13 Crosstrek both have Alldata subs, but I might look for a FSM on the '05 once my current sub expires if I'm still driving it by then.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PitViper posted:

Check with any of your libraries, see if they can get you into Chilton's database. It's not absolutely comprehensive in terms of coverage, but what's there for modern-ish vehicles tends to be the actual FSM.

edit: appears the '05 Forester has the FSM, the '13 Crosstrek is just bullshit maintenance info.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 7, 2021

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I don't have a hydraulic press in my garage yet so I phoned my dad on the way to our workshop to order one front right wheel bearing for the Almera just by noise diagnostics.

Turns out my ears still got it despite the years of cannon fire.

:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Check with any of your libraries, see if they can get you into Chilton's database. It's not absolutely comprehensive in terms of coverage, but what's there for modern-ish vehicles tends to be the actual FSM.

edit: appears the '05 Forester has the FSM, the '13 Crosstrek is just bullshit maintenance info.

I'm not above "finding" the FSM on the internet in digital form. Alldata and Mitchell were familiar from school way back when, and I was definitely willing to pay $35 every 5 years for easy access to factory-equivalent manuals. $129 every 3 might convince me that it's easier to just snag a digital FSM for the oldest vehicles.

The print FSM for the '92 3000GT is absolutely hands down better than even some of the Alldata info for the newer stuff. It's just that it takes up a giant 3 ring binder, and flipping through it with dirty hands sucks. The garage laptop is way easier to clean up.