Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

learnincurve posted:

Uk is proof positive that you can introduce insane draconian laws for 16 months and it won’t do poo poo but give government more power, because you can’t send an email from a fork lift truck.

The UK is what happens when you equivocate so you make the maximum disruption interventions for the minimum impact, channel cash to your mates instead of fixing anything, and then ignore the rules you set out

It's a minor miracle the vaccination rollout didn't accidentally inject people with gin and windex because it's cheaper

e: I don't care if it's a lovely snipe I'm standing by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why are you so doomer guys, I just wanna have brunch :saddowns:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When other countries go through 16 months of lockdown and still have wave after wave then they may jest.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

You have had rolling on/off lockdowns, not 16 months of continuous lockdown. A good rule of thumb is that if pubs and restaurants are open for anything other than takeaway, you're not in lockdown.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

Uk is proof positive that you can introduce insane draconian laws for 16 months and it won’t do poo poo but give government more power, because you can’t send an email from a fork lift truck.

LC, you know you're one of my favourite posters. But you're talking shite.

freebooter posted:

You have had rolling on/off lockdowns, not 16 months of continuous lockdown. A good rule of thumb is that if pubs and restaurants are open for anything other than takeaway, you're not in lockdown.

yeah this pretty much covers it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Captain’s log: day 420 of ~LOCKDOWN~

Today I went to brunch, participated in spin class (safely), and hosed and sucked at Denny’s.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NotJustANumber99 posted:

LC, you know you're one of my favourite posters. But you're talking shite.

Is this you admitting that you DO send emails while driving forklift trucks? It sounds like one of your anecdotes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I really wish the gay.com chatroom was still around. "I only want 9+ inches and Moderna vaccinated!". "Looking for 10+in and un-vaccinated I don't want your vaccine to spread to me!"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

freebooter posted:

I worked in leicester for most of 2020. There were no pubs, only lockdown lockdown lockdown

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

learnincurve posted:

I worked in leicester for most of 2020. There were no pubs, only lockdown lockdown lockdown

This wouldn't have happened if you lived in London and exported the OG and variants because by god if we're not going to Spain, we're going somewhere You're welcome rest of the UK :smuggo:

Tbh, London was pretty eerie during the full lockdown while still being hyper expensive.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This isn't c-spam

For content. In Denver I feel lucky if I see a single mask besides my wife and myself at the grocery store. We are doomed lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I wonder if we do start seeing a substantial amount of breakthrough cases/hospitalizations from variants in higher vaccinated regions if we're going to see a walkback on the open er up rhetoric or if that genie far too out of the bottle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The people who've been voluntarily isolating will continue to do so, and the chuds will continue to scream about their freedoms.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I dunno, even in this thread I think there are a lot of reasonable people that were very quick to jump onto relaxed rules because the official stances changed. I think regardless of how bad it gets you’re not going to get people to go back to being responsible unless that’s the official line.

I just wonder if it ever will be again, the whole situation just got too politically loaded from the getgo. I remember they were phasing back in schools when the cases per day was higher than when they started locking them down in the first place. The numbers never really seemed to shape policy around here.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My Summer Car 2 has some impressive graphics

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You'll never see another full-fledged "lockdown" like we got in March and April of 2020.

Right-wingers will never again go along with that, they've proven that even the smallest sacrifice for the greater good is impossible. Even a mask mandate will never be followed by 30% of the United States.

I live in Western PA, right outside of Pittsburgh. I saw lots of people actually staying isolated, wearing masks, and being smart. I also saw lots of people that did not change their lives at all.

My in-laws are not vaccinated, wore masks for about 3 months in 2020. Didn't change anything else about their lives. Their neighbors almost died of covid in November after voting in person, then argued that their church needed to open up 100% without masks for Christmas. Why? Probably because they already survived covid so they think they're immune and don't give a gently caress.

You could have CHUDs dropping dead in the streets and bursting into flame and people would just say it's because of vaccine shedding or co-morbidities or something.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I wonder if we do start seeing a substantial amount of breakthrough cases/hospitalizations from variants in higher vaccinated regions if we're going to see a walkback on the open er up rhetoric or if that genie far too out of the bottle.

We're at 75% at least one dose and hospitalizations and positives stopped their downward trend about a week ago and have been rising steadily since. Nothing awful yet and hopefully they plateau but it's not the direction we'd prefer.

ultrafilter posted:

The people who've been voluntarily isolating will continue to do so, and the chuds will continue to scream about their freedoms.

Pretty much this.

redgubbinz posted:

My Summer Car 2 has some impressive graphics

lol

e: For the month of June:

100% of COVID-19 deaths in Maryland were people who were unvaccinated.

95% of new COVID-19 cases in Maryland were from unvaccinated individuals.

93% of new COVID-19 hospitalizations were from people who were unvaccinated.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 7, 2021

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

A Fancy Hat posted:

You'll never see another full-fledged "lockdown" like we got in March and April of 2020.

Right-wingers will never again go along with that, they've proven that even the smallest sacrifice for the greater good is impossible. Even a mask mandate will never be followed by 30% of the United States.

I live in Western PA, right outside of Pittsburgh. I saw lots of people actually staying isolated, wearing masks, and being smart. I also saw lots of people that did not change their lives at all.

My in-laws are not vaccinated, wore masks for about 3 months in 2020. Didn't change anything else about their lives. Their neighbors almost died of covid in November after voting in person, then argued that their church needed to open up 100% without masks for Christmas. Why? Probably because they already survived covid so they think they're immune and don't give a gently caress.

You could have CHUDs dropping dead in the streets and bursting into flame and people would just say it's because of vaccine shedding or co-morbidities or something.

Dude, liberals also will never again go back to that. As far as they're concerned the performativity of banging on pots and pans and making sourdough for a month or two was a massive sacrifice to their lifestyles and well-being, and I am not exaggerating when I say that they feel that because they "were good", they deserve freedom. I am quoting almost verbatim from r/coronavirus.

As well, I think you would have a hard time convincing otherwise apolitical working class people to lock down again in the US since the gov. decided that one check for less than two grand was totally fine for an entire year and they want to buy groceries and poo poo. I think a full lockdown would have worked a year and a half ago, but the messaging was so bungled that COVID itself is partisan issue that some people refuse to engage with because it's political.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Now that I'm in the rabbithole, here's a preprint of a study released today regarding breakthroughs among hospital workers with Covishield, the Indian version of AZ.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.02.21258881v1

quote:

Of the 461 participants, 86 (18.65%) got infection average 38 days (range 14 to 70days) after vaccination. As per the NIH classification, out of 86, disease was mild in 69(80.2%), moderate in 10(11.62%), severe in 6(6.97%) and critical in 1(1.16%). Of these, 10(11.62%) required hospital admission. Of these 10, 2 were shifted to ICU. Of the 2, One recovered while one died. Thus mortality was 1/86(1.6%). Conclusion: Breakthrough infection rate in health care workers was 18.65%. Moderate, severe or critical disease occurred in 19.7% participants even after two doses of vaccine.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Could anyone post that efficacy chart for how many days it takes to build up antibodies for the pfizer vaccine? Just got my first jab two days ago

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Chikimiki posted:

Goddamn we are never getting rid of this poo poo, right? We'll be stuck forever in this hellworld where everything fun is forbidden and/or highly dangerous, but on the flipside we'll still be able to work for scraps and play vidyagames in the little free time we have left!

This is true whether COVID is a thing or not.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

cash crab posted:

Dude, liberals also will never again go back to that. As far as they're concerned the performativity of banging on pots and pans and making sourdough for a month or two was a massive sacrifice to their lifestyles and well-being, and I am not exaggerating when I say that they feel that because they "were good", they deserve freedom. I am quoting almost verbatim from r/coronavirus.

As well, I think you would have a hard time convincing otherwise apolitical working class people to lock down again in the US since the gov. decided that one check for less than two grand was totally fine for an entire year and they want to buy groceries and poo poo. I think a full lockdown would have worked a year and a half ago, but the messaging was so bungled that COVID itself is partisan issue that some people refuse to engage with because it's political.

People would fuckin torch entire London if they are told that they can't do coke in the bathroom of Wetherspoon's again.

I'm not sure how things will play out in the world as general while first world countries going all GeorgeWBushMissionAccomplishedBanner.jpeg while rest of the world is still living 2020 but with more powerful/transmissable/whatever variants.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

AEMINAL posted:

Could anyone post that efficacy chart for how many days it takes to build up antibodies for the pfizer vaccine? Just got my first jab two days ago

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My day is significantly brighter for finding that Googling covid penis chart does in fact work

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did I say I got my 17 year old a jab booked for Friday, because I got my 17 year old *booked for a jab

*legitimately, turns out as she’s registered as a young carer at the doctors she’s eligible now.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

You leave Arthur Dent's house alone!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

I know but there was a very detailed one once posted, like how many people got infected x days after their first shot. How much protection was provided etc.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why are you so doomer guys, I just wanna have brunch :saddowns:

If you're vaccinated you can.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

AEMINAL posted:

I know but there was a very detailed one once posted, like how many people got infected x days after their first shot. How much protection was provided etc.

This is for wild type IIRC and Delta is supposed to do better if you only have one shot so maybe this is out of date, but it really is around 14 days that it starts working.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

cash crab posted:

Reddit is not the real world. Don't be a disingenuous poo poo.

I'm vaxxed and want the chuds dead now. That's why I don't wear a mask, to encourage them to loving kill themselves with stupidity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno, even in this thread I think there are a lot of reasonable people that were very quick to jump onto relaxed rules because the official stances changed. I think regardless of how bad it gets you’re not going to get people to go back to being responsible unless that’s the official line.

I just wonder if it ever will be again, the whole situation just got too politically loaded from the getgo. I remember they were phasing back in schools when the cases per day was higher than when they started locking them down in the first place. The numbers never really seemed to shape policy around here.

I don't remember about the situation with the schools, but for this 'the numbers never seem to shape policy' thing - I think that has varied in how true it is. The hesitation on a christmas lockdown was especially stupid to the point where even I thought they should have hurried up. However, the reasoning they gave for easing the lockdown this month seemed to make some kind of sense in terms that delaying it any further would just lead to a slightly to much worse version of what's about to happen, so we might as well do it now if we aren't going to lockdown again.

There's also that I only see people talking about the case numbers skyrocketing and rarely crediting how low the hospitalisations and especially deaths are compared to the numbers pre-vaccine. I mean, this was the goal. There was no, and never will be, any eradication and some people are going to die of covid just like when in contact with others for a million reasons.

If it was me, based on the info I've seen, it seems like waiting until august to roll out would be better just for vaccine coverage but otherwise this is kind of it. We've done what we can do, the vaccine stuff has gone as well (at least in the uk) as you could reasonably hope.

I'm obviously more on the side of accepting a certain toll, because humanity does this with everything else that kills us sometimes, but I don't think the pessimistic and judgmental view on this is any more clear-headed. This whole thing could have gone a lot worse, especially considering the people who have been in charge.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 7, 2021

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Get the shot and move on. Let the chuds die in their lung goo. We don't need them. I just don't loving care anymore when the vaccine is freely available.

I know they said the same poo poo about blue cities but gently caress them, turnabout is fair play and I don't care about fairness and rights after 16 months of these useless clowns bellyaching to the point of insurrection.

They sewed the wind, now it's time for them to reap.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

learnincurve posted:

We have a whole group of fake “alternative” sage doctors who have access to information a month old who get trotted out when the media needs a doom monger. The independent’s guy predicted 400- 800% more hospital cases than there are for example, and the only thing these snake oil salesmen do is frighten people and give more ammunition to lunatic covid deniers.

In the U.K. Unless the stats you use comes from NHS England or a .gov address then treat with extreme suspicion

Those "alternative" sage doctors who are actual professors of such random stuff as epidemiology, public health and the last chief scientific officer to the UK gov?

https://www.independentsage.org/who-are-independent-sage/

The same "alternative" sage doctors who have been repeating the same things which have been going into "official" SAGE minutes and advice to the government which the government have been ignoring because bodybags Johnson would rather please his backbenchers than prevent 100k cases a day? Even a small % of 100k will still result in a lot of admissions and cases 'll g covid.

Take a look at the official sage minutes and advice to the government in the uk.gov website and you'll see that indie sage are saying matches.

Dunno where the "month old" information but comes from? the data available from the covid dashboard api is never more than a day old except for admissions which usually lag by 5 days or so.

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 7, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No the fake guys pretending to be alternative sage. The alternative was in quotes to differentiate sage and alternative sage but it turns out it it’s confusing no matter what you do. Independent in particular has trotted out absolute charlatans or just said “many leading doctors” and the god drat tabloids have been far worse. They never tell you what these doommongers are a professor of, a tactic that also works well with Kathleen Stock who has a doctorate in “the philosophy of fiction” and has set herself up as a gender studies doctor expert

Edit: you must have seen the ones the “we are an alternative to Sage” guys

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 7, 2021

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

learnincurve posted:

No the fake guys pretending to be alternative sage. The alternative was in quotes to differentiate sage and alternative sage but it turns out it it’s confusing no matter what you do. Independent in particular has trotted out absolute charlatans or just said “many leading doctors” and the god drat tabloids have been far worse. They never tell you what these doommongers are a professor of, a tactic that also works well with Kathleen Stock who has a doctorate in “the philosophy of fiction” and has set herself up as a gender studies doctor expert

Edit: you must have seen the ones the “we are an alternative to Sage” guys

No worries! Just re-read my reply and thought i might have sounded a bit harsh but wasn't intended that way!

Some of the Twitter feeds from a few of the indie sage members are good to follow though for genuine thoughts and opinions on what's going on such as:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrischirp

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kit_Yates_Maths

Dr Duncan Robertson is a good read too just for his occasional sarcasm!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Dr_D_Robertson

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:)

I always thought of the real alternative sage as backup Sage. Like you don’t want a small group of experts in one room for long periods of time because after a while the ideas will run out and it’ll turn into group think, so if you get your very clever people bouncing from group to group then you increase your chances of success.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I have a feeling there won't be any good news for us today. The media has dropped enough crumbs overnight that it seems very much like they're prepping the public for bad news.

We now have 8 cases under 35 in hospital, one in intensive care.

One of NSW largest aged care providers has only 15% of its staff vaccinated.

And there are rumblings of masks in schools.

11am presser is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lolie posted:

I have a feeling there won't be any good news for us today. The media has dropped enough crumbs overnight that it seems very much like they're prepping the public for bad news.

We now have 8 cases under 35 in hospital, one in intensive care.

One of NSW largest aged care providers has only 15% of its staff vaccinated.

And there are rumblings of masks in schools.

11am presser is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Yeah this is the one where Gladys realises that going hard and going early like all the other states do, is actually the right move after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
So now we have the federal health minister joining the state health minister in trying to lay blame for the latest surge on LGAs with large migrant populations.