Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd be curious to hear this thread's perspectives on Downpour; though it wasn't in the vein of the early series games, it seemed less dire than homecoming or origins- but I never played it.
Been years, but I kinda of liked (event) where you played as the hammer dude around the end but can't remember much else. Was mediocre overall

Was it homecoming or downpour where you 9nly carried one weapon at a time? Because didn't like that.

Shattered Memories probably is my favorite outside the main four

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shattered memories was great

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Len posted:

Shattered memories was great

"A toast to lonlier souls, who never could take control of their lives..."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd be curious to hear this thread's perspectives on Downpour; though it wasn't in the vein of the early series games, it seemed less dire than homecoming or origins- but I never played it.

it tried too hard to be "clever" with the silent hill formula, playing around with its rules and mythos in a way that constantly winked and referenced previous games. like one character tells the protagonist they can't just escape the town because "it doesn't work that way" and then gets eaten by the town for pulling back the curtain, that sort of thing. it also introduced an open-world sidequest system that didn't really work and the enemy aesthetic was terrible. barely scarier than alan wake, and alan wake was a snoozefest

despite all that you can tell the devs were doing their best with what they were given and tried to make something original. i don't know much about origins but homecoming was ugly, derivative trash and imo the worst of the post-room SH games by far

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Discendo Vox posted:

0rigins: aggressively Just Fine. Sort of a cargo cult continuation of the main series; it's what you might expect from a very well-made fan sequel, where there's lots of pastiche, zero innovation, and only a tenuous understanding of why the original series even worked.

Homecoming: quite bad, feels bafflingly nu metal in a way that was dated even when it released. Suffers badly from generation loss. It's Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game.

Downpour: flawed, janky failure. Lacks the polish and any hint of good writing requisite to feel like simply a misfire experiment (4, shatmemz). Instead kind of feels like an over-ambitious fan sequel, where the vision far exceeds the skills available. Sort of the opposite of 0rigin in that regard. There are lots of interesting ideas and concepts buried in all the mess but you need to extend a lot of goodwill to get to those bits and appreciate them.
The opening sequence is extremely good and creepy, and the us prison system is extremely fertile ground for American horror like Silent Hill so the whole rest of the game is sort of like watching them gently caress up a good premise one step at a time.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 4, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Downpour also lacked Akira Yamaoka, depriving it of the one thing that could have made a playthrough worth it in the slightest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Appreciated. What is "generation loss"? That's not a term I've heard before, is it related to console generations?

I got just past the first time homecoming used an infinitely respawning monster drain and stopped. It's tragic that the great video LP was wrecked by the youtube annotations removal.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Generation loss is a photography term https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_loss

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Specifically, Homecoming suffers from essentially being a copy of a copy (it's a sequel to the films much more than it is to the games).

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Downpour also lacked Akira Yamaoka, depriving it of the one thing that could have made a playthrough worth it in the slightest.

It lacks Akira Yamaoka and Masahiro Ito; the monster design in Downpour is sadly very generic. I mean, the Pyramid Head-equivalent monster is a big guy with a poncho and a gas mask who swings around a cinder-block hammer; alright as a generic antagonist, but not very memorable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Gotcha, yeah, that makes sense.

...at some point I should write out my elaborately developed game design fanfiction for what I'd do if I were directing an SH game. If nothing else I'd enjoy the thread telling me how terrible it is!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I'm way more interested in that upcoming Dead Space spiritual successor by ex dead space devs (that for some completely insane branding reason "exists in the PUBG universe") , or a hypothetical basic remaster of the trilogy in one collection ,than I am for EA reviving Dead Space now that they have deemed it profitable, even though they torched Visceral to the ground. gently caress EA.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Someone else reminded me that Siren, the game done by Team Silent after leaving Silent Hill, was a supremely weird game where (if you play the localised version) you are in a quaint, picturesque Japanese village out of a Junji Ito short but all the villagers have been possessed by murderous chavs.

That would be an interesting game to see come out remastered, although I heard Forbidden Siren (the remake) was such a horrible mess of a game that it drained all goodwill anybody had in the franchise

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Someone else reminded me that Siren, the game done by Team Silent after leaving Silent Hill, was a supremely weird game where (if you play the localised version) you are in a quaint, picturesque Japanese village out of a Junji Ito short but all the villagers have been possessed by murderous chavs.

That would be an interesting game to see come out remastered, although I heard Forbidden Siren (the remake) was such a horrible mess of a game that it drained all goodwill anybody had in the franchise

I'm gonna be that guy who liked the remake. The first has an incredibly unique charm unto itself and is very good, outside of the difficulty. The second one never came out in the states :(

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The remake made some really weird choices like randomly adding in Americans making a TV show. I guess maybe in a misguided attempt to appeal to US audiences? That seems like something you'd stick in a sequel and not try and awkwardly shove into an existing narrative.

It also was an episodic game, which doesn't really work with the heavily non-linear, short gameplay segments design of the game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I'm way more interested in that upcoming Dead Space spiritual successor by ex dead space devs (that for some completely insane branding reason "exists in the PUBG universe") , or a hypothetical basic remaster of the trilogy in one collection ,than I am for EA reviving Dead Space now that they have deemed it profitable, even though they torched Visceral to the ground. gently caress EA.

missed this lol. Guess the upside is a horror mode crossover for a br could be neat

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Siren is really cool though obtuse as hell about some things, but mannnnn the english dub on that is agony for me to listen to lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

Siren is really cool though obtuse as hell about some things, but mannnnn the english dub on that is agony for me to listen to lol

Professaaaahhhh!?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Siren Blood Curse's characters work because it's very much about foreigners in Japan and unlike the first game which is just a bad 2000s dub Blood Curse uses language as part of its narrative. Some characters are fluently bi-lingual, some speak broken Japanese, there's a Japanese character who switches based on the situation it's an idea they gave thought to.

It's just not a fun game, not because of the structure but that it's dark as gently caress. As in you can't ever see poo poo in these cramped, busy environments. Siren kind of sucks in that it's obtuse as hell but it's weird and wild. Blood Curse is simpler and easier it's just frustrating to navigate.

Maybe... they can make a game that meets in the middle?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

siren 2 is sort of a middle ground since they focused way more on the gameplay than the original but ymmv since the story/characters are way less interesting

anyway i prefer the bad british dub for siren 1 because its charming and reminds me of the halcyon days before i had to hear troy baker in everything

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Professaaaahhhh!?

Even better, I wanna say the first time I played it, the game was struggling for some reason and all the dialogue was that little bit much more slowed and aaaahhhhh.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I half remember reading somewhere that the English dub of Siren was just voiced by people working in the SCEE office, which sounds entirely too fun to be true.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Fil5000 posted:

I half remember reading somewhere that the English dub of Siren was just voiced by people working in the SCEE office, which sounds entirely too fun to be true.

But it explains so much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

0 rows returned posted:

siren 2 is sort of a middle ground since they focused way more on the gameplay than the original but ymmv since the story/characters are way less interesting

anyway i prefer the bad british dub for siren 1 because its charming and reminds me of the halcyon days before i had to hear troy baker in everything

In those days you just heard Steven Blum or Crispen Freeman

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

veni veni veni posted:

(that for some completely insane branding reason "exists in the PUBG universe")

:gonk:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fil5000 posted:

I want to say that both Resident Evil and the early Silent Hills had the same thing, which is why the dialogue was strange. It's just the directors going "hey, you took English courses right? Wanna be a star?"

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

all things considered the voice acting in the original Silent Hill is actually kind of good. the way it's edited together is stilted and unnatural and I think it's generally obvious that the voice actors were given isolated lines of dialog to read without context, but the actual line readings themselves are mostly pretty decent, or at least better than I remembered them being, and considering the state of voice acting at the time they might even be called straight up Good. the stilted awkwardness of the conversations kind of enhances the surreal tone of the game too I think. but then again the last time I played OG Silent Hill was right after playing the PS1 Clock Tower so that might explain why I was pleasantly surprised by the voice acting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Now go play Koudelka and be surprised at just how good a ps1 horror game's voice acting can be

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FirstAidKite posted:

Now go play Koudelka and be surprised at just how good a ps1 horror game's voice acting can be

Koudelka was also an early game that used motion capture to let the actors act out their scenes and had everyone working in the same room. Koudelka's writing, acting, and atmosphere are incredible. Shame about the combat system.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

it's on my list :D

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Siren has SUCH a cool concept and mechanics and plot and setting, and it really makes you feel like you're exploring a tiny Japanese mountain town and its environs, but it's so resolutely disinterested in telling you either what you can do or what it expects of you, apart from an often vague level objective, that I can't really recommend actually playing it. There's some great moments (the time I sightjacked into a shibito only to realize it was giggling and holding a gun and staring almost right at me was a big one) and some really cool ideas but the actual package it's wrapped in... just watch an LP instead.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Someone bring up how the Medium has a character who is a paedophile because of the Holocaust.

Please, let's be clear about this. The character is a pedophile because a friend of theirs died in the Holocaust.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
A horrific concept for a reason other than what they intended.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So I'm playing through The Medium (if the split screen doesn't kill my gpu) #1 for Akira Yamaoka and the Zdzisław Beksiński inspired landscapes, but also because I have to see for myself if they really pulled that poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

A horrific concept for a reason other than what they intended.

I watched Voidburger stream the game, and there was warning that this section was gonna be insensitive and badly executed but I still wasn't expecting that.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh hey, did anything ever come of the Rule of Rose publisher asking fans which of their series they wanted a remake of or something?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh hey, did anything ever come of the Rule of Rose publisher asking fans which of their series they wanted a remake of or something?

I've been following that, and nothing so far...yet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Siren Blood Curse is sort of an interesting look at that particular time in "our console has its own online store" history-- if you try to play it now it is an absolute bitch because you have to download each episode individually, and there are a lot of them. What a weird game.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sooo the guy who used to be a huge RE and SH leaker (he gave it up because it was hurting friends of his) gave a supposition of what if one of the original SH devs and former Siren staff was working on one of the two silent hill games, and I can't help but to imagine how bad rear end in tone at least it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Silent Hill anthology would be a fun idea to explore. Like 1-2 hour vignettes of people's experiences in this haunted parasitic town.