Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I did it, everyone! It took me 1.5 years of not missing a session, but I finished exercise and got the ending!

Now that I've seen everything exercise has to offer, I can enjoy being sedentary for the rest of my life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It took you a year and a half :psyduck: how often were you playing?

I’m about to beat NG+ lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

be a hell of a lot longer than a year and a half for me, most likely. just can't summon up the motivation anymore

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Started at 45 minutes a week, and have since ramped up to 1.5 hours a week. 85 hours by the Switch timer, which apparently only translates to 40 hours by the ingame timer. I'm about to reach maximum intensity, so I don't know what's next. Order leg and arm weights?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Some people have already beaten the game three times lol although right now I am playing 5-6 days a week but once I can ride my bike consistently I will be doing that instead.

Aw man I was just looking at the titles and I thought there were titles for playing the game 5/7/10 days in a row but it’s specifically Adventure Mode, which I don’t do every session. I thought I was gonna get that this week but alas

Edit:

Argue posted:

Started at 45 minutes a week, and have since ramped up to 1.5 hours a week. 85 hours by the Switch timer, which apparently only translates to 40 hours by the ingame timer. I'm about to reach maximum intensity, so I don't know what's next. Order leg and arm weights?

If you’re on max difficult and have finish exercises set to on then idk man. You can do NG+ if it motivates you to keep playing, just switch up your exercises. I have been doing a lot of custom mode interspersed with Adventure so I can get in reps of the moves that heal you in Adventure mode.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 24, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can only play the game on my days off for an hour of exercise each. Work is way too draining even after a shower and rest. Just can't get my body to do a whole set aside from doing ring presses for the daily XP. It is cheating, but still requires effort on the arms. Almost got the title for 100 days, but that is way more than actual sessions.

Argue posted:

I did it, everyone! It took me 1.5 years of not missing a session, but I finished exercise and got the ending!

Now that I've seen everything exercise has to offer, I can enjoy being sedentary for the rest of my life!
Not missing a session? I still worry about DOMS, but taking it multiple days straight is not a nightmare anymore.
Now you can change it up and do it with no upgrades or weaker moves. Challenge yourself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, this is my current position, I am looking forward to doing other exercises besides the optimal max level ones which have been in my loadout for three months lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, this is my current position, I am looking forward to doing other exercises besides the optimal max level ones which have been in my loadout for three months lol

Yeah for sure, I’m gonna use the “weaker” moves more like front press or leg scissors or whatever. I’ve surpassed 1000 leg raise reps so I am doing knees to chest which is the worst thing ever lol would be nice if they weren’t way weaker.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like the weaker moves when doing my routine. I just want them to be better balanced than 40 point difference at two stars or 500 more attack at 3 stars. Strikes a balance at looking kinda effective and providing extra XP. Just not weak enough that it takes four sets to kill one enemy.

I removed my healing skill since I may as well set it for boss fights and that shrank the mission timer by a couple minutes for some reason. Last session or two, I had a mission set for 6 mins and finished it at 15. Time did pass, but I don't remember having trouble with it. It was just the use of weak skills to boost the counter.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 24, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Even after many months, squat reps still destroy me at max difficulty. I have no problem doing any of the other exercises at max difficulty and keeping good pace but I always have to take a break halfway (sometimes multiple) through any of the squats sets and if I want to keep going it has to be an easy exercise like the arm twist

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am watching videos when doing squats. They take forever to do and they feel like a chore.

Turns out you don't get anything for breaking boxes that are not on your course. Why did they even spawn them then? The game might not be chugging a bit if they removed the useless stuff.

I have to applaud Dragaux for his red version fight. All those buffbots and healbots and it felt like I was the real boss of the fight. He managed to take me out twice and I couldn't defeat his minions in time before he could do it a third time and decided to finish it. Powering through just on gains seem to be making me fall behind compared to those playing it the right way. Getting more than 10 points per level would help. Time to aim for being 60 levels ahead of the curve and do more healing moves.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t know what you mean about the boxes. You mean if there’s a branching path, you can break a box on a path you didn’t take? I didn’t even know you could do that lol but I’m pretty sure the whole level loads at the beginning which is why every box also loads. I could see it causing issues if it were loading as you went. Maybe it is that way but it’s just optimized really well. I’ve never had issues with the game’s performance, either way.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was mistaken about the boxes being useless. I had a marathon mission that spawned two dozen boxes from way off my path and they gave me items when I shot them.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just found this thread.

You'd think the villain in a fitness game would embody laziness but is the idea that he represents the perils of OVERexercise?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

I just found this thread.

You'd think the villain in a fitness game would embody laziness but is the idea that he represents the perils of OVERexercise?

Pretty much yeah. And also I think the kind of toxicity you can get in gym culture towards those who are out of shape

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there is absolutely such a thing as overdoing it and also a wider commentary to be made about people thinking they need to push themselves beyond a point that they really don't need to go to a degree where it's basically unhealthy and sacrificing one's mental health

everyone is different, and no one method for personal fitness is going to work for everyone

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He’s definitely supposed to be a commentary on the toxicity in fitness culture. The game is all about exercising to stay healthy and fit and not to fit a mold or become buff. Also it emphasizes enjoyment and actively encourages you in ways that don’t require shame. Helps that it has that Nintendo charm and goofiness.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It definitely tells you to be mindful of your body and to give yourself a pat on the back for doing your best.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Kennelbell reminds me of Fat Dog Mendoza and this is very good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat NG+ :toot: the final level/battle still took a loving hour and my legs felt like they would fall off. They still do! gently caress those super attacks where you have to hold an overhead squat forever, I was in actual pain this time.

I checked out the smoothie list in the menu and apparently I missed a bunch, so I’m gonna head back and pick up the ones I missed before doing NG++. They must all be in chests in levels since I did all the side quests and optional stuff. It’ll be a nice excuse to prolong my playing time, along with custom mode.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I noticed that using up ingredients sometimes delete what you made in the list, so you had to get another one. Looking forward to collecting the 100 outfits not available in NG-.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s a list that track what you have out of all the possible smoothies, ingredients and clothing on the main menu. I got every ingredient recently and happened to look at the smoothies and there were a bunch of ?’s which I was kinda surprised about.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Speaking of smoothies, Dragaux made a rather freaky one I won't spoil.

I can finally confirm to myself that some courses intentionally make you slow as hell and it is not because of your leg strap and stamina. That has been bothering me so much when I was out of shape.

I am sure many people already know that so long as you make a block for an instant, you can cut future attacks short and quickly take full damage. You get some XP for it. I got tired of letting myself get slowly whittled down for heal farming and got pleasantly surprised at the damage gap. A two heart failed block can be 10 hearts of damage or a quarter heart of damage can still be a quarter heart it a hoplin hits you. I am doing it for those titles and added difficulty.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of which, I'm almost done with NG+.

I am currently 20 levels over the current recommendation for the levels. Should I skip over this whole submap and just wrap things up to get to NG++, at least from a "gamer's" perspective?

I know the exercise thing would be to do everything, but honestly even from an exercise perspective it might be better to get to NG++ if what I hear is that it will allow me to use other skills besides the 8 optimal ones I've had in the rotation for two months lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You’re 20 levels over the recommendation? I was 100 levels over when I beat NG+ :laugh: you should definitely do the full maps, it’s about exercising. Don’t rush!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm almost done World 2 and so far I like this game. I have to keep the difficulty low for now because some of the exercises seem much harder for me than others, but this is accomplishing what I hoped for, giving me another cardio option to keep things from getting boring. My hand/eye coordination is terrible so as I'm running along I miss out on a lot of the extra items, and sometimes I run right into an obstacle before I can respond to it, but that doesn't put me off.

I don't understand exercise choice, or adding new exercises. Are some exercises more powerful than others? If you add one (ex: abdominal twist) is it replacing a current one, or in addition? During fights I just rotate among everything to spread out the effort.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You equip different exercises to your skill bar that you can choose from; they'll end up targeting different amounts of enemies, doing different amounts of damage, and having different cooldowns. Eventually you'll get more slots and will get upgraded versions of older skills.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can stack the same four exercises into your slots if you want and the last tiers are all the same power. Generally, the single hits are much more powerful than the groups at their second and third level. I pick mine based on neglect. While you get stronger skills, the cooldowns will also increase, forcing you to alternate. Some take five turns.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It turn out I had all the recipes I just hadn’t made all the smoothies, which is why there were ?’s in my catalog. Maybe I’ll make some in between levels or something.

I maxed out the difficulty for NG++ and it’s like a different game. The difference in the number of reps between difficulty levels 25 and 30 is huge. Feels good to challenge myself, though. Plus then I can hit those rep milestones sooner and get more titles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have completed New Game Plus.

It only took me however long since the game released since I got it that day lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I cannot emphasize enough how totally hosed max difficulty is. For a bunch of the skills you do 37 reps (15 fast) but for stuff like Knee Lift, Side Step, Leg Scissor, Overhead Arm Spin, Flutter Kick and Mountain Climbers you do 60 REPS. I can kinda do 50 reps of Mountain Climbers without stopping in Custom Mode but gently caress 60. Flutter Kicks are so hard. SO HARD.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I live for max difficulty. At my fittest I could smash the 60 mountain climbers without pause. Took way too long of a break so it fucks me up nowadays but knowing I used to be able to do it is good motivation

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This ab shield thing so help me god. Sometimes I take almost no damage, sometimes I take a ton. I can't squeeze the goddamn thing any harder!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Some enemies might just have too high attack for ya? Is your gear up to date

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dick Trauma posted:

This ab shield thing so help me god. Sometimes I take almost no damage, sometimes I take a ton. I can't squeeze the goddamn thing any harder!

Your hair should be on fire and the shield should be massive and glowing. Early on enemies can still hit hard through it, especially bosses.

Just make sure that you aren’t crunching it into your stomach with your arms but are actually flexing your abs and pushing back on the ring with them. When I do it, it sort of feels like I’m relaxing my arms so the resistance “transfers” to my abs, if that makes sense. If you use your arms you’ll tire them out quickly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dick Trauma posted:

The kind of enemy determines how much damage you should expect and some types still hurt if you did a great block. The first two worlds will be very hard until the store opens up. You can redo stages, but why make things easy?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The thing that helped me with the shield was someone telling me (possibly even in this thread) to just make like i'm preparing for someone to punch me in my stomach. That's what Ring means when they say it isn't your arms that should be getting the workout there.

I still don't understand what they mean when they say to engage your thighs during arm presses though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Argue posted:

The thing that helped me with the shield was someone telling me (possibly even in this thread) to just make like i'm preparing for someone to punch me in my stomach. That's what Ring means when they say it isn't your arms that should be getting the workout there.

I still don't understand what they mean when they say to engage your thighs during arm presses though.

When you engage your core during the arm presses, it should feel like your inner thighs are engaging. It’s telling you to squeeze your core but in the weirdest way possible, I guess.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is disappointing that bosses don't make more use of their stronger attacks more often. They will make use of their ultimate once and go back to half heart slaps. I think there was Abdonis' pet Yellow Giant Stepper who wouldn't stop with his second attack every turn and I had to finish that fight with items. I only saw Dragaux use his dragon breath once and that fight was crazy.

I just realized I could have worn the EXP clothes during the mini-games and gained a couple levels from that.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Time to fight Potential Unleashed Dragaux and see what the big deal is. I was level 265 at difficulty 26, with 32 minutes to finish. It took over an hour and more than 400 calories. I was dead at the very end with about 600 hp to go. I stopped caring about the game and pushed a couple more reps just to stop listening to Dragaux's ASMR.
I have two more request spots and they better have unlocked tomorrow.