Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Aardvark! posted:

I've enjoyed the 3 cultivation series I've read (Cradle, Mage Errant, Thousand Li)

is there anything else in the same quality tier?

and if not, what about LitRPG books, is there any single one like Cradle that people usually recommend?

Painting the Mists by Patrick Laplante is pretty good if you skip over the vaguely libertarian interludes in the Yama King's realm that have nothing to do with the plot. They're nowhere near as clever as he thinks they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Telsa Cola posted:

Juffowup my nipples grow turgid.

Actual content though. Has there been a decent Isekai where the MC isn't some sort of outcast/loner with nothing left to loose? I feel like you could get a lotta mileage out of the MC desperately trying to get back because they left a family or pet dog, instead of basically just shrugging and getting on with it.

The Forever Fantasy Online series? It's not really a traditional isekai though for a lot of reasons (which makes it a better story IMO) so depending on strictly you want to stick to the genre it may not suit you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Monkey posted:

No. Those are the three best and, imo, Mage Errant is a distant third. I read unrepentant crap though and Dungeon Crawler Carl is intensely stupid but somehow also fun. I think because he’s mostly
lampooning the creepy and weird aspects of the genre.

It's cuz the man is actually writing a narrative first and a stat sheet a distant 10th, if you can even say that book has real stats in the way a litrpg does. I'd argue it doesn't, really.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

I read unrepentant crap though and Dungeon Crawler Carl is intensely stupid but somehow also fun. I think because he’s mostly
lampooning the creepy and weird aspects of the genre.

Carl is completely over the top and I love it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Juffowup my nipples grow turgid.

Actual content though. Has there been a decent Isekai where the MC isn't some sort of outcast/loner with nothing left to loose? I feel like you could get a lotta mileage out of the MC desperately trying to get back because they left a family or pet dog, instead of basically just shrugging and getting on with it.

Well, the MC in He Who Fights With Monsters certainly has issues with some of his family members, but ultimately he still loves them and we get to meet them and see their reaction to how he changed.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Aardvark! posted:

I've enjoyed the 3 cultivation series I've read (Cradle, Mage Errant, Thousand Li)

and if not, what about LitRPG books, is there any single one like Cradle that people usually recommend?

I'm reading Hollow core at the moment, it's not as good as Cradle but you might enjoy it.

You could also try the Arcane Ascension/Weapons and Wielders books.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Aardvark! posted:

Way of Choices is always going to be the standard I judge other xianxia by, I think.

But it seems to have been snapped up by Qidian, so you're going to need to either grapple with that bullshit or find... workarounds. :(

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Megazver posted:

Well, the MC in He Who Fights With Monsters certainly has issues with some of his family members, but ultimately he still loves them and we get to meet them and see their reaction to how he changed.

Oh hey I got the first volume with my audible credit, started listening the first hour yesterday. Seems fun, so far. Got a chuckle out of the spirit coins.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Way of Choices is always going to be the standard I judge other xianxia by, I think.

But it seems to have been snapped up by Qidian, so you're going to need to either grapple with that bullshit or find... workarounds. :(

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Choices-Book-Youths-Schoolmates-ebook/dp/B0788YZZM3/ref=nodl_

??

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yeah, but they've only done a fifth of the story like that and they seem to have stopped published them in 2018.

Not sure what's going on there tbh.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah, but they've only done a fifth of the story like that and they seem to have stopped published them in 2018.

Not sure what's going on there tbh.

oh well.. at least this is a convenient enough way to get the first part so i can decide if i want to gently caress with :filez:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Aardvark! posted:

Forge of Destiny, though I don't know if it's Kindle Unlimited. It's also very languidly paced.

For LitRPG's, I like Wraith's Haunt. It starts out moderately above average for LitRPG's, then steadily gets better.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

If you liked Thousand Li you could try System Apocalypse by the same author, it's a LitRPG and it's not bad, I like it more than Thousand Li. It's a decent introduction to the "apocalypse caused by turning earth into an RPG" genre at least.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Thanks for the reccs all, I got Way of Choices downloaded and will look at the rest.

However I picked up Dungeon Crawler Carl on a whim with little expectation last night and I'm actually loving it. Normally I get nervous when a new author starts trying to be funny but this.. actually isn't cringy and indeed is just pure fun

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aardvark! posted:

Thanks for the reccs all, I got Way of Choices downloaded and will look at the rest.

However I picked up Dungeon Crawler Carl on a whim with little expectation last night and I'm actually loving it. Normally I get nervous when a new author starts trying to be funny but this.. actually isn't cringy and indeed is just pure fun

he's not a new author. it's not even his first book in the genre. dominion of blades pwns

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

he's not a new author. it's not even his first book in the genre. dominion of blades pwns

I'm so glad I originally posted how good Dominion of Blades was when it was one of his first books. I could tell something was special about it from the first like quarter of the book.

Edit: The Dungeon AI's foot fetish in DCC is hi-loving-larious even if some of the prose describing those moments gets a bit clunky.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I automatically assume anyone who writes LitRPG is a New Author :colbert:

The foot fetish thing was something I was going to single out as being particularly funny, agreed. Going to recommend this to my friends that might willingly brave the genre.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's definitely nice how there's always a laugh to distract from existential dread and anger. Matt Dinniman is based.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I will add to the Dungeon Crawler Carl recommendation, though even then it does have its weak points around (a) fictional-even-in-the-story exposition that neither we nor the characters actually give a poo poo about and (b) "grinding" moments where stuff gets described just to fulfill the needs of the rules system but again neither we nor the characters actually give a poo poo about the details.

Also, the subway layout in that one book was completely incomprehensible to me as described and that really didn't help in trying to make any sense of what was going on overall.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Forge of Destiny Book 2 is out on Kindle and Audiobook now.

Love the cover's colors. FOD seems to have very striking covers, IMO.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Just finished book 4 of Dungeon Crawler Carl. Jesus christ was it good. Best of the series so far IMO. The Special Event near the end was one of the funniest things I had read in the series so far.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Victorkm posted:

Just finished book 4 of Dungeon Crawler Carl. Jesus christ was it good. Best of the series so far IMO. The Special Event near the end was one of the funniest things I had read in the series so far.

My favorite part was the AI's new fetish

Carl: *escapes from fish monster's mouth*
AI: I think I felt it jump a little

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm also enjoying Dungeon Crawler Carl, half way through book 3 now. Assuming 4 isn't the end of the series, do we know how often new ones come out?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Darkrenown posted:

I'm also enjoying Dungeon Crawler Carl, half way through book 3 now. Assuming 4 isn't the end of the series, do we know how often new ones come out?

I looked earlier and both 3 and 4 came out this year, which is pretty nuts. I too am half way through 3, and I'm actually holding off from devouring it all in one sitting just so I have something fun to read before bed for a while

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
wow the first one came out September 2020, this guy is a machine.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yikes, but also :getin:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

It's a web serial that gets posted to Royal Road if you want to read along as it goes. There might be some vague editing that goes into the kindle books, but I'm skeptical given the speed.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The first chapter of the first book was posted on Royal Road 18 months ago. He puts out a new update every week or two. It's a crazy fast update schedule. But I think it won't be quite as fast now that the series has more moving parts, and he can do things other than sit at home and write.

e: sort of beaten. There are also alpha chapters on his patreon. The royal road updates get some tweaks, and the published ones get some more, but I haven't sat down and done a thorough comparison. It's not a huge amount, but sometimes it is noticeable.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 7, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
This does make me curious, does anyone know (or perhaps there's a thread about it?) what the revenue stream from kindle unlimited is like? Is DCC more likely to be making the author rent money or beer money?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

This is by the Thousand Li guy and explains it, though it's kind of outdated. TLDR; KU reads pay them much less than what a sale does, but can still sometimes be worth it in volume or in not cannibalizing sales too much.

edit: To actually answer your question, I get the feeling that most of the more successful LitRPG and other pulp fiction authors pumping out 3+ books a year on KU are pulling in like... mid-five to low six figures, at least from the "I quit my day job to write full time, check out my patreon!" afterwords I'm seeing. Most of the authors who aren't so prolific are probably just getting beer money.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 8, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

I’m pretty sure there’s a note at the end of 4 that says 5 is almost done too.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Book 5 is underway but it isn't close to done. When book 3 was published all but 10 or so chapters of book 4 were already on royal road. There are only 3 chapters for book 5 on there now.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Book 5 is underway but it isn't close to done. When book 3 was published all but 10 or so chapters of book 4 were already on royal road. There are only 3 chapters for book 5 on there now.

Sounds like at least a few months away then.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah more than a few. At an update per week, one month is 4 or so updates. A DCC book is something like 35 updates. So at the present pace and with what's already written we're talking at last 8 months from now for everything to go up on royal road. Then another few for that to go to a kindle book.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Butt Discussin posted:

This is by the Thousand Li guy and explains it, though it's kind of outdated. TLDR; KU reads pay them much less than what a sale does, but can still sometimes be worth it in volume or in not cannibalizing sales too much.

edit: To actually answer your question, I get the feeling that most of the more successful LitRPG and other pulp fiction authors pumping out 3+ books a year on KU are pulling in like... mid-five to low six figures, at least from the "I quit my day job to write full time, check out my patreon!" afterwords I'm seeing. Most of the authors who aren't so prolific are probably just getting beer money.

Thanks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aardvark! posted:

Apparently ghost writing is common on the Kindle scene so it might not just be him. A friend was asked to write for that goofy weretiger space marine harem Mass Effect knockoff series but even if he thought it was worth doing the actual contract was offering a pittance.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently ghost writing is common on the Kindle scene so it might not just be him. A friend was asked to write for that goofy weretiger space marine harem Mass Effect knockoff series but even if he thought it was worth doing the actual contract was offering a pittance.

The difference is authors like the weretiger guy are a) cranking out several series in parallel and b) the writing is dogshit.

This guy is writing a single series with a pretty distinctive style, so he's probably just a fast writer.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
there was actually a link to Matt Dinniman's dayjob. he designs the kind of kitschy art you find at pier-1 imports

https://www.etsy.com/shop/collageOrama

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Aardvark! posted:

there was actually a link to Matt Dinniman's dayjob. he designs the kind of kitschy art you find at pier-1 imports

https://www.etsy.com/shop/collageOrama

Somehow this does not surprise me in the least.

Edit: Though I kind of expected a bit more of a radical leftist bent to the art before I clicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

About a third into The War Throughout the Dungeon(and Those Who Love and Hate) which is the sequel to The City and The Dungeon. Its pretty dry much like the first one and much less detailed about the mechanics of the world. I also cant help but feel like the plot is aping the Prequel Trilogy a little bit. I guess I'll see.

For anyone unfamiliar the Dungeon is incredibly based on Nethack though the rest of the system isnt unless nethack has changed a whole lot since last time I got into it.

Anyone who has read the first one might want to reread a bit for a primer cause i do not remember much of the terminology and the sequel doesnt do any favors by reintroducing concepts.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 9, 2021