Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Thank you all for reminding me that I really ought to replace the TX750 I've been using for, uh, twelve years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I've been running my 3080 on a 650W and I've had zero issues with it but I suppose I should keep an eye our for a good PSU deal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tbh i think Zosologists issue might not be the PSU anyway. It sounds an awful like like the mystery problems i've been having in RDR2/POE with my 3090 FTW3 with an 850w Titanium PSU, which I think is heatsoak related on the memory and/or VRM. Undervolting helps either issue, though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

wyoak posted:

When you replace your PSU make sure you replace all your modular PSU cables too, don't just plug the old cables into the new PSU! The cables might fit but that doesn't mean they're actually compatible

Don't ask me how i know that
I have a fanless 450W Seasonic unit that is (luckily) electrically compatible with the cables from the 1050W Seasonic I just retired. I say luckily as I had plugged those in without thinking for a backup pfsense box and powered it on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazinsal posted:

Thank you all for reminding me that I really ought to replace the TX750 I've been using for, uh, twelve years.

The good news is it seems PSUs are on the downslope (for now) price-wise.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I hate dealing with PSUs ad their cables. I'm not dumb enough to make my own and custom cables are stupidly expensive. I wish case manufacturers would make fitting sets for their cases, bith in design and more importantly length.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Absurd that no one thought to standardize modular cables

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Shipon posted:

the problem is that a bunch of people did :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cable management is for losers next case I buy will be windowless and I’m not going to manage anything

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cable management is for losers next case I buy will be windowless and I’m not going to manage anything

We need to bring back the side panel fan.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

Intel had a chance to when defining ATX12VO and they didn't take it

Maybe in another 20 years

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Cygni posted:

tbh i think Zosologists issue might not be the PSU anyway. It sounds an awful like like the mystery problems i've been having in RDR2/POE with my 3090 FTW3 with an 850w Titanium PSU, which I think is heatsoak related on the memory and/or VRM. Undervolting helps either issue, though.

I’m too lazy to dig too far into it but I’ve been fighting temps and loud fans on a FTW3 in a SFF case with mixed results and last night set everything back to defaults via afterburner and cranked the power limit down to 80% (I get that it’s essentially lighting money on fire for the performance I’m losing) and played some Control and Metro Exodus EE and noticed decently reduced thermals and noise and clocks actually boosted higher than my undervolt which was locked at 1800mhz @ 8.75.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't buy modular PSUs specifically to avoid this problem of mismatched cables

That's what I tell myself, really though I'm just cheap :v:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I bought an EVGA 550 watt bronze unit on sale for $40 and drat this thing is nice. Fully modular and with an eco mode that my $100 Corsair doesn’t have

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't buy modular PSUs specifically to avoid this problem of mismatched cables

That's what I tell myself, really though I'm just cheap :v:

Whereas I only buy Seasonics which makes things really easy.

Buy direct from the dairy whenever possible, even if the only difference is the label on the product.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

I bought an EVGA 550 watt bronze unit on sale for $40 and drat this thing is nice. Fully modular and with an eco mode that my $100 Corsair doesn’t have

How "eco" can it be when it's only 85% power efficient?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I once had a shopping cart full of custom cables (some rgb) and I was so disgusting with myself.

It's a loving sickness.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

We need to bring back the side panel fan.

It seems like my Corsair C70 got a fair amount of guff for having a side panel with a plastic pane that could mount fans (primarily because people felt it was ugly as poo poo) but now I’ve got two 140mm Noctua industrial fans exhausting heat right off of the GPU and I can also kind of see the poo poo inside my PC too, so who’s laughing now? Me! All the way to the bank!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

From 2005-2010 I had I think three different Antec power supplies that all used the same modular cables. It did actually come in handy at the time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How "eco" can it be when it's only 85% power efficient?

85% isn't great but it's not terrible either, that's 80 Plus Silver range. It would have been unheard of in the early 2000's. Eco mode, in any event, is that it turns the fam completely off when under a certain temp, typical when the PC is idling, though higher efficiencies give you more headroom until you can game in an air-conditioned space and not have the fans come on.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have a sea sonic and couple evga modulars. Uhhh anyone know how evga fairs with the mismatched cables?

I just have them in one of those sacks all together unlabeled :c

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can use a multimeter to verify the pinout vs your power supply manual, or carefully trace the wires visually.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zero VGS posted:

85% isn't great but it's not terrible either, that's 80 Plus Silver range. It would have been unheard of in the early 2000's. Eco mode, in any event, is that it turns the fam completely off when under a certain temp, typical when the PC is idling, though higher efficiencies give you more headroom until you can game in an air-conditioned space and not have the fans come on.

Thankfully I can't hear my PSU anyways because if I'm stressing it then the 3070 will be 10x louder

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DamnGlitch posted:

I have a sea sonic and couple evga modulars. Uhhh anyone know how evga fairs with the mismatched cables?

I just have them in one of those sacks all together unlabeled :c

All I can say is that when EVGA swapped out my 850w GA PSU with a 1000w G3 PSU on an RMA, both units used the same modular cables. According to their tech, when they can’t give you an exact replacement (which they couldn’t in my situation) they prefer to provide a PSU that uses the exact same cables to avoid any additional issues.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hopes the wires are labeled then :gonk:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Since this is the PSU thread now, how old can a PSU be before you shouldn't use it anymore, and does it matter how many hours it has been used?

I've got an old Silverstone Strider 1000w Gold sitting in a box and it's gotta be like six years old or maybe even more, and I haven't used it for about 3 or 4 years.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 8, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Since this is the PSU thread now, how old can a PSU be before you shouldn't use it anymore, and does it matter how many hours it has been used?

I've got an old Silverstone Strider 1000w Gold sitting in a box and it's gotta be like six years old or maybe even more, and I haven't used it for about 3 or 4 years.

The safest answer is "replace them when they're out of warranty"

The less safe answer is after five years

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shipon posted:

Plenty have thought about, but it hasn't been done. it's amazingly awful.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Whereas I only buy Seasonics which makes things really easy.

Buy direct from the dairy whenever possible, even if the only difference is the label on the product.

I do the same thing. If there's a Seasonic that fits the application, I go with them

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I can buy a 3080ti right now for 2000 usd

But I don't know know if I should...

The stock isn't moving and it'll still be there tomorrow but I don't know if I can justify that much money for a graphics card.

But I really loving want to

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if you can wait then wait

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There isn't anything real new and shiny coming out for at least a few more months. You can wait.

edit: though I do wonder if the fall releases will increase demand again. It still can't be worse than it is now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
3080 Tis aren't even $2k on ebay. Definitely do not buy that.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
There is an ok level of stock here now, I've noticed prices on the 6700XT have dropped a bit and I've even seen 6800XT's available but for £1100 which seems way too much. Although there are now way too many bundles with crap like stupid gamer chairs, also ones with cpu and motherboards which i'd be tempted if I didn't already buy a bloody 5900X and x570 board a couple months ago.

Funniest bundle I saw was a 3070 with TRX4 board, like who is that for. I could see that with a 3090 or something

Edit: I'm only looking for an upgrade so when I end up getting a new tv it's gonna be 4k, so I just want a decent 4k 60 card. I just wonder if the ones with 8gb vram are gonna be enough?

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Today on the Newegg Shuffle:

lol

Interesting that they actually have a card at launch MSRP, though of course it's only available in bundles. At least there's no markup (beyond the already disgusting MSRP)

hemorrhage
Aug 7, 2003
I've been following this thread for a while, trying to get a new card. Yesterday I was finally able to order one from B&H. Still showing in stock if anyone wants a 3090.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1594385-REG/asus_tuf_rtx3090_o24g_gaming_tuf_gaming_rtx_3090.html

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Apparently an order my brother did back in September that he thought had failed since he never got a confirmation message got through and now he's got an extra ASUS 3080 TUF OC for MSRP in the post office. Didn't they stop making that card to focus on the more expensive STRIX?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hemorrhage posted:

I've been following this thread for a while, trying to get a new card. Yesterday I was finally able to order one from B&H. Still showing in stock if anyone wants a 3090.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1594385-REG/asus_tuf_rtx3090_o24g_gaming_tuf_gaming_rtx_3090.html

I would still not buy this unless you specifically want a 3090 for some reason. If you don't have a reason to get the 3090 in particular but are willing to drop that kind of money for a card right now, then you're better off just spending $1600 on an ebay 3080. edit: I'm speaking in general, not to you specifically.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 8, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My 3070 arrived today a few days early :toot: and impressively just about fits in the Dan-A4 - it was described as fitting and the card is right up against the side panel.

It's really good! I had a bit of a play at lunchtime and the difference from the 1070ti is huge, maybe 60% higher frame rate and lower GPU temperature. It is also pretty quiet so I don't think any need for swapping the fans. I might possibly try taking off the shroud and backplate at some point and see if that makes a difference.

I've just given it a slight undervolt to 825mV which according to HWInfo has reduced the power draw from 200W to 160W. Re the PSU chat earlier I am really not convinced this needs 750W especially with a 65W processor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

knox_harrington posted:

My 3070 arrived today a few days early :toot: and impressively just about fits in the Dan-A4 - it was described as fitting and the card is right up against the side panel.

It's really good! I had a bit of a play at lunchtime and the difference from the 1070ti is huge, maybe 60% higher frame rate and lower GPU temperature. It is also pretty quiet so I don't think any need for swapping the fans. I might possibly try taking off the shroud and backplate at some point and see if that makes a difference.

I've just given it a slight undervolt to 825mV which according to HWInfo has reduced the power draw from 200W to 160W. Re the PSU chat earlier I am really not convinced this needs 750W especially with a 65W processor.

I’ve been running my 3070 on a 550 watt gold PSU and it’s perfectly fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Exactly the same.