Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

People didn’t like Franxx?

infamously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

it was somewhat popular but even people who like it think it barely has a plot and falls apart in the back half

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dont see the need to blame someone else when the director said outright in interviews that he never wrote sci-fi before and had no real plans or themes in mind

Blaming the lead writer for the writing seems like the obvious division of responsibility, though? An inexperienced director will certainly not help a show's writing, but FranXX didn't exactly seem like it had a good script that was poorly used.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kater posted:

i actively disliked franxx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Blaming the lead writer for the writing seems like the obvious division of responsibility, though? An inexperienced director will certainly not help a show's writing, but FranXX didn't exactly seem like it had a good script that was poorly used.
you try writing a 26-episode show by the seat of your pants with no clear direction, though

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Franxx was fantastic for like two thirds of its run, right up until they reveal all the bizarre backstory horseshit and suddenly the true villains were aliens or something. You can watch up to episode 18 and have a great time. Just stop right there. It's actually very similar to Wonder Egg in that it's mostly a really good show with a human story and strong characters that suddenly shits out a half-baked sci-fi plot in the last few episodes.

A lot of people got immediately weirded out by the blatant sex metaphors but the show ended up being pretty tame. 02 was a stand out character.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 7, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

02 was great but all the guys besides the uhh one guy who ditched that one time were boring boring, and ichigo got like one focus moment then vanished from the show which is a shame cause she was cool

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

If the voice acting is bad, you blame the voice direction not the actors. A director is going to be somewhat involved with the show script. These elements aren't going to be created in a vacuum and then dropped off on the directors desk.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

you try writing a 26-episode show by the seat of your pants with no clear direction, though

I don't think the problems with FranXX were die to a lack of direction causing it to lose its way, though. It seemed to me like its problems were there from day one, and were baked into its premise - it was always weird paleocon bullshit, and the extent of that weird paleocon bullshit simply became more and more apparent as the series progressed. The lack of competent, experienced direction just meant that there was nobody who could adequately elevate such a fundamentally weak script.

To put it another way, it definitely felt more like a Gundam Age than a Macross Delta (where you could actually see the writing staff running out of ideas halfway through).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey let's talk about what we want this show to be

Bro I don't care, do whatever lol

Uh...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay i dont know what a paleocon is

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

Paleoconservative? That doesn't seem right considering we're talkin a production studio.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Paleoconservative? That doesn't seem right considering we're talkin a production studio.
i think they're talking about the writing? looking it up it just seems like extremely rigid old-fashioned values conservativism which i can kinda get given how the show is a bit weird on gender but it seems more like it was just trying to make an awkward 'see. we're not so different... after all' point than talk about how you shouldnt let your wife make eye contact with another man

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Paleoconservative. Focused around rescuing ancient tradition from corruptive modernism. Big on gender essentialism. FranXX was about an evil dystopian conspiracy waging war on the environment and on traditional gender roles from day one, which is how we eventually ended up with androgynous queer-coded stormtroopers dragging off one of the show's secondary couples after they tried to hold a wedding as an act of resistance. The conspiracy turning out to be alien vampires felt less like a random shock twist, and more like the show doubling down on its pre-existing worldview in a deeply unfortunate way.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 7, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I remember when it was coming out pretty much everyone was joking that it was 'Oh god please have babies our population is shrinking!'- the show.

I don't think it was that conservative, it did have a lesbian subplot that ended on a happy ending iirc. Didn't she end up banging the MC's ex girlfriend, lol?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think the problems with FranXX were die to a lack of direction causing it to lose its way, though. It seemed to me like its problems were there from day one, and were baked into its premise - it was always weird paleocon bullshit, and the extent of that weird paleocon bullshit simply became more and more apparent as the series progressed. The lack of competent, experienced direction just meant that there was nobody who could adequately elevate such a fundamentally weak script.

To put it another way, it definitely felt more like a Gundam Age than a Macross Delta (where you could actually see the writing staff running out of ideas halfway through).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

in the case of franxx the director literally has a series composition credit alongside the writer, so it's even more explicitly his story than the usual assumption you can make about originals.

also Cloverworks is just a re-branded substudio of A-1 Pictures, not some brand new studio that appeared fully formed to ruin anime with franxx and wonder egg and neverland s2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah like most studio hateons the cloverworks thing is based on parroting youtubers who dont know anything about this stuff lol

then again people had a weird hate on for a-1 too even though they made a lot of great stuff

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah like most studio hateons the cloverworks thing is based on parroting youtubers who dont know anything about this stuff lol

then again people had a weird hate on for a-1 too even though they made a lot of great stuff

Isn't A-1 one of those studios that's too big and diverse in its output to really have an identity? Feels like learning that a show is done by them tells you far less about it than if it was made by, say, KyoAni.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's the reason A-1 has a bunch of subdivisions yeah. Franxx was mostly made by ex-gainax people who are at a-1 now, it's why it was a collab with Trigger. So really the issue is with early 2000s Gainax, and we should all accept Pleiades as the best Gainax anime.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

reject modern anime, embrace 00s anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

reject modern anime, embrace 00s anime

reject modern anime, embraced 2010s anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

reject modern anime, embraced 2010s anime.
Reject neflix, embraced hololive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'd forgotten how good the animation is in Dragon Maid was, and the OP was fun.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Strange Quark posted:

Hey let's talk about what we want this show to be

Bro I don't care, do whatever lol

Uh...

tbf this is how flip flappers was made too.

but honestly it seems like the staff of flip flappers still had way better communication and understanding between its staff than franxx or wonder egg lol, kiyotaka oshiyama's goal was just to make something with cool animation and he told the staff to decide on what they wanted to make of that, and they were like "let's make an action yuri magical girl anime" and he not only went along with it but like when ayana yuniko had to exit production midway through he asked her about how they should maintain the general tone and themes they'd set up earlier and how to write yuri in general. it feels like a lot of these shows that really fall apart, don't even take these kinds of steps.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Endorph posted:

we should all accept Pleiades as the best Gainax anime.

the greatest truth said on this subforum

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watch pleiades after rayearth

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

tbf this is how flip flappers was made too.

but honestly it seems like the staff of flip flappers still had way better communication and understanding between its staff than franxx or wonder egg lol, kiyotaka oshiyama's goal was just to make something with cool animation and he told the staff to decide on what they wanted to make of that, and they were like "let's make an action yuri magical girl anime" and he not only went along with it but like when ayana yuniko had to exit production midway through he asked her about how they should maintain the general tone and themes they'd set up earlier and how to write yuri in general. it feels like a lot of these shows that really fall apart, don't even take these kinds of steps.

Fwiw - and I don't have the interview in front of me, though it's probably in the art book I've got somewhere around here - I seem to recall that Yuniko and Oshiyama had talked out at least the broad outline of the story well before she left, I don't think they were literally just making poo poo up and throwing it out there as they went the way something like Wonder Egg pretty clearly wound up doing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf i can believe nojima also came up with later wonder egg stuff in advance. i just can also believe that he and the director had very different ideas about what the story was supposed to be about given they both said exact opposite things about the weird gender stuff very early on lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moving to anime from this season, I tried to watch "The Detective is Already Dead".

Emphasis on tried, because I gave up inside of ten minutes.

I can definitely see what people mean when calling it "generic light novel". It has a similar style of banter to something like Rascal, but written worse, it's got an "organization", the "detective" aspects make Sherlock look grounded...

It's just not very good, and the attempts at self-awareness just make it worse.

...I guess there's a reason all the talk about this season's anime is focusing on last season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the drip of new shows is just too slow 😔

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

New Dragon Maid is good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just watched the new episode of Dragon Maid. Season 2 being good was a foolish dream and I am the greatest fool of them all for believing in it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's nice to have kyoani cartoons back

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

I just watched the new episode of Dragon Maid. Season 2 being good was a foolish dream and I am the greatest fool of them all for believing in it.
dragon maid was always like this

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

i don't think it's unreasonable for a person to consider "here's a new character who's going to misgender Kobayashi so aggressively that she forces an unwanted dick to sprout from Kobayashi's crotch to prove a point" a meaningful escalation in badness from what came before, personally

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first half of the ova literally revolved around kobayashi eating love potion chocolate that through a series of wacky accidents made her want to gently caress kanna

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

the first half of the ova literally revolved around kobayashi eating love potion chocolate that through a series of wacky accidents made her want to gently caress kanna

it is possible for that joke to be bad, and for the same joke but plus an added side of mocking Kobayashi for not being traditionally feminine and also casually asserting that men are so inherently horny as to barely be capable of restraining themselves around children and some added implicit transphobia for fun to be worse, IMO

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When the 'joke' is "wants to gently caress child" I don't think variations on that are like worse than each other.