Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm going to stake my claim out here a week in advance and say it has to be another Loki variant.

It would mesh with the theme of the show and they threw out so many Kang references, that it feels like it has to be a red herring.

I like these shows but honestly at this point I think it's safe to assume that marvel will choose the least risky and inspired ending for all of these shows. Loki is the same show that had Sylvie explained her plan twice in detail within 5 minutes in case the audience didn't get it.. It's not gonna be Kang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

It's been slowly building up but this episode really cinched it for me: Ravonna is a terrible actress

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Clearly the secret bad guy is a jetski that erased Mobius for a reason.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

apatheticman posted:

The Kang references haven't been telegraphed enough, it's really lovely storytelling if they suddenly reveal it's someone we haven't heard mentioned in dialogue or anything else pulling the strings.

That just makes me more certain that it's gonna be him.

The Grumbles posted:

I don't necessarily mean in the message - I'm well aware of how that film is not US propaganda - I just mean in the more general sense of military people doing military maneuvers with military hardware. Give me a goofball in a weird costume or a space wizard or whatever over that stuff. It's more just about what types of superheroes/villains I find interesting.

I was wondering even how FatWS could be hoo-rah, the show with an evil fascist Captain America who has a line explicitly calling out the us military for being at fault for making him that way, but that makes a lot of sense. Like personally, I'm really loving looking forward to Armor Wars, not because of any of the actors or creators or anything about the plot...

I just like robots. :shrug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kaedric posted:

It's been slowly building up but this episode really cinched it for me: Ravonna is a terrible actress

Her name is Gugu and also she's been a fine actor, dunno how you'd have an issue with her?
The kid was wank though, some weird deliveries there.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

I really liked the episode and I really liked the show.

Alligator Loki has now disproved the theory I had earlier.
So now the thing people have asked - how these super different lokis manage to exist - is a pressing question that's left unanswered. Alligator Loki was a variant because he ate the wrong cat. So that means he was okay to exist. And it must be that, like someone else said, the sacred timeline is a bunch of timelines that are all "correct"? But that doesn't quite fit either with anything they've said.
It's not a huge issue I'm just curious, basically. I think the idea that "alligator loki" could have existed because Loki decided to be an alligator and it got to exist for a while before the timeline was pruned for being "wrong" because time is subjective worked for me and now I dunno how it works.

Old Loki made sense perfectly. So did kid loki. Boastful loki? I dunno, how did he come into being?

Think about it this way: Even if there were one "timeline," at the beginning of time, every time there is a probability-related event, there are an infinite number of timelines that branch from there. Almost all of them are probably exactly the same with minor variations that don't cause a problem, such as two asteroids colliding harmlessly in the middle of space in billions of similar but infinitesimally different ways. Now, let's say you were the Timekeepers, and you wanted to ensure a future where the Timekeepers not only exist, but are all powerful. The vast and almost infinite majority of timelines are harmless, very similar branches, that all lead mostly to the same place. Whenever an event occurs that creates a timeline that does NOT lead to the desired future, it becomes a Nexus event, because any future that results in the Timekeepers not "winning" is an existential threat, since we can assume that the TVA had to invent it's time-travel technology inside the Sacred Timeline to create and inhabit a timeless pocket dimension outside the flow of time altogether so therefore eventually someone else will do the same.
Let's go back to the asteroids. Say their collision generates 1,000,000 parallel timelines. It's extremely likely that none of them will lead to a nexus event, but say there is exactly 1/1,000,000 chance that a fragment of one of the asteroids flies thru space over the course of 100,000 years and kills a Timekeeper on their space ship while they are on the crapper or something. The TVA jumps in and prunes that timeline when that event occurs to ensure the "integrity of the sacred timeline"
From there, you can assume that events like Gator Loki eating the wrong cat, OG Loki deciding not to be an rear end in a top hat, Kid Loki killing Thor, Loki stealing the Space Stone and escaping away with it, were all events that would eventually alter whatever future the Timekeepers are going for.

Cage Kicker fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 8, 2021

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Taear posted:

Her name is Gugu and also she's been a fine actor, dunno how you'd have an issue with her?
The kid was wank though, some weird deliveries there.

Just very amateurish. Maybe it's the direction. Really stands out to me though, totally fine if you like her for whatever reason.

Kid was hit or miss too.

EDIT: Also, SIR, his name is JACK

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cage Kicker posted:

Think about it this way: Even if there were one "timeline," at the beginning of time, every time there is a probability-related event, there are an infinite number of timelines that branch from there. Almost all of them are probably exactly the same with minor variations that don't cause a problem, such as two asteroids colliding harmlessly in the middle of space in billions of similar but infinitesimally different ways. Now, let's say you were the Timekeepers, and you wanted to ensure a future where the Timekeepers not only exist, but are all powerful. The vast and almost infinite majority of timelines are harmless, very similar branches, that all lead mostly to the same place. Whenever an event occurs that creates a timeline that does NOT lead to the desired future, it becomes a Nexus event, because any future that results in the Timekeepers not "winning" is an existential threat, since we can assume that the TVA had to invent it's time-travel technology inside the Sacred Timeline to create and inhabit a timeless pocket dimension outside the flow of time altogether so therefore eventually someone else will do the same.
Let's go back to the asteroids. Say their collision generates 1,000,000 parallel timelines. It's extremely likely that none of them will lead to a nexus event, but say there is exactly 1/1,000,000 chance that a fragment of one of the asteroids flies thru space over the course of 100,000 years and kills a Timekeeper on their space ship while they are on the crapper or something. The TVA jumps in and prunes that timeline when that event occurs to ensure the "integrity of the sacred timeline"
From there, you can assume that events like Gator Loki eating the wrong cat, OG Loki deciding not to be an rear end in a top hat, Kid Loki killing Thor, Loki stealing the Space Stone and escaping away with it, were all events that would eventually alter whatever future the Timekeepers are going for.

The problem with this explanation is that they do tell us there's only ONE sacred timeline.
The idea of Gator Loki even existing doesn't quite fit with it. It would do if a timeline could branch off, exist for 30 years subjective time and then get pruned (in what seemed just a moment to the TVA). But we've had it confirmed it doesn't work that way.

If the idea of having one timeline is to stop multiverses existing to stop wars then having SUPER different variants that do their own thing sorta goes against that.
Now spoilers that mention stuff to do with the newest episode.
I guess whoever is in the castle might actually explain this but I feel like it's weird that Loki wouldn't have asked the question, since it seems pretty obvious - it's been bought up a lot in the thread.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think the implication is that the TVA is lying and they aren't actually pruning other timelines for that stated reason.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

The problem with this explanation is that they do tell us there's only ONE sacred timeline.
The idea of Gator Loki even existing doesn't quite fit with it. It would do if a timeline could branch off, exist for 30 years subjective time and then get pruned (in what seemed just a moment to the TVA). But we've had it confirmed it doesn't work that way.

If the idea of having one timeline is to stop multiverses existing to stop wars then having SUPER different variants that do their own thing sorta goes against that.
Now spoilers that mention stuff to do with the newest episode.
I guess whoever is in the castle might actually explain this but I feel like it's weird that Loki wouldn't have asked the question, since it seems pretty obvious - it's been bought up a lot in the thread.

I based this heavily off what the lady said to Bruce Banner in Infinity War/Endgame, if anything from the show proves this wrong, I'm waiting anxiously to see it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
four or five more episodes that are specifically about the TVA having lied to people and characters in the show talking to each other about how the TVA lied to them and then maybe it will sink in for viewers that the TVA is not, in fact, telling the truth

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kaedric posted:

Just very amateurish. Maybe it's the direction. Really stands out to me though, totally fine if you like her for whatever reason.

The actress is fine they just aren't using her well. In a show that's trying to be all about 'is it possible to change who you are?' her character exists to say 'no' and specifically she's the opposite side of the coin to Mobius. Where she is interacting with Owen Wilson it's all fantastic, right up to the climax where he's giving on up the TVA and she's so threatened by that that she cuts him off.

Any scene where she isn't directly opposite Wilson it's like her direction was "whatever just read the lines and stand there blankly you exist to dump exposition"

e: the TVA could totally be telling the truth 'from a certain point of view'. At one point there was a war between universes. This universe won and the guy in charge commits regular genocide to keep it that way.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 8, 2021

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cage Kicker posted:

I based this heavily off what the lady said to Bruce Banner in Infinity War/Endgame, if anything from the show proves this wrong, I'm waiting anxiously to see it

Yea I get the Ancient One's explanation fits but it definitely fits the idea of a multiverse which we haven't got right now.

Bleck posted:

four or five more episodes that are specifically about the TVA having lied to people and characters in the show talking to each other about how the TVA lied to them and then maybe it will sink in for viewers that the TVA is not, in fact, telling the truth

Again I'm absolutely down with that idea but you'd think Loki would have questioned it when they showed him all those variants.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I'm wondering why we didn't get a scene of Sylvie enchanting Mobius to give him his memories back.

Also someone already mentioned that earlier, but I loved all the cuts to show alligator Loki "reacting" :allears:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder if the last episode is going to have a post credits scene announcing What If season's start date. That feels like the natural follow up to this of the upcoming MCU shows.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One weird thing about Mbatha-Raw's performance is her American accent. It seems incredibly unnecessary and I doubt they give a reason for it at this point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here's my prediction, mark me down: The puppetmaster and big bad this season is Miss Minutes. She was created by Kang/Qeng as an AI like Stark's Jarvis and put in charge of the TVA which is pruning timelines that threaten Kang's whatever-he-wants. That gives us a twist, a known antagonist, and a chance to merely hint at the bigger bad without having to establish him at all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rappaport posted:

Now, this resolution would be nifty, IMO.

It's plausible with what's in the comics too, because there have been storylines where Ravonna is the one doing the conquering thing herself. Going off the writing guideline that your villain should be someone introduced prior to the final moments my guess is that Ravonna is the villain honestly, not Kang or another Loki. It might be another variant of Ravonna in Castle Limbo, but I'm betting it's a Ravonna who usurped her Kang/Immortus in some fashion and that Kang will be released following the show's events but we'll only see a brief cameo of the actual person since Ravonna will be the person in charge of what's happening at the moment.

Also, for the second week running I really want to say I loved Hunter B-15's scene. It was only a brief interlude in the episode, but she killed it with her calm demeanor as she analyzed Ravonna with sarcasm/anger breaking through at times. I hope when Mobius returns to the TVA he frees her and they burn that poo poo to the ground together. Alternately, since it's probably too large an organization to take down in one episode that'll presumably mostly be about Loki/Sylvie dealing with whoever is actually in Castle notDoom!, that might be the thrust of the next season of Loki.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just exactly this scene would break minds

I know it's a really minor chance and I wouldn't even think of it normally, but the similarity to the guy's normal abodes has me fearing it'll be some big tweeeest next episode. Christ I hope not.

XboxPants posted:

I was wondering even how FatWS could be hoo-rah, the show with an evil fascist Captain America who has a line explicitly calling out the us military for being at fault for making him that way, but that makes a lot of sense. Like personally, I'm really loving looking forward to Armor Wars, not because of any of the actors or creators or anything about the plot...

I just like robots. :shrug:

I'm looking forward to it both because I love power armor/robots and because I enjoy Rhodey's character and think the MCU could do some interesting things with the character now that he's basically Tony 2.0 in more ways than "uses an Iron Man armor" given that he's dependent on technology to lead a normal life too after an accident physically affected him in some way. I'm hoping there's a scene where he's forced to try and act without whatever technology is supporting his legs to save himself and that there's some scenes of him in a new armor upgrade rather than just using established Warmachine suits; especially if he does some design/engineering on it himself like Tony used to do. I know there almost certainly will be because toys, but the advertising via scenes where the hero gets to show of his shiny new robot is usually some of the best stuff in a mecha story god drat it.

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if the last episode is going to have a post credits scene announcing What If season's start date. That feels like the natural follow up to this of the upcoming MCU shows.

I really hope that What If...? ends up having a narrative hook from this show, with the Watcher showing Stan Lee some of the stories of the multiverse on the Moon after it's all been set free or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 8, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This is honestly why I loving love weekly releases.

Where else would you get this content if it were all released at once?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If they reveal Kang as the big bad in the castle, it'll fall flat to anyone but the nerds. The same can probably be said about anyone but another Loki or yeah Miss Minutes, which would be less than ideal for other reasons.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

live with fruit posted:

If they reveal Kang as the big bad in the castle, it'll fall flat to anyone but the nerds. The same can probably be said about anyone but another Loki or yeah Miss Minutes, which would be less than ideal for other reasons.

How many people really knew who the hell the purple giant guy sitting in a chair was for multiple movies.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

If the big mastermind is an as-of-yet unintroduced character, then I feel it's Kang, who will be a more direct issue in future series/films

But if it's a character we know or sort of know, it feels like it's going to be a Loki. If the character was on-screen before, maybe the totally dead-not suspicious at all-still got sad at the scene Classic Loki. Or Miss Minutes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

live with fruit posted:

Right, but how many people knew what it meant that Agnes was really Agatha Harkness? Okay, they showed her killing a coven around the reveal, but for the purposes of Wandavision she was still just an evil old witch-lady.

That said, Ravonna or Miss Minutes would be better teevee.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barreft posted:

How many people really knew who the hell the purple giant guy sitting in a chair was for multiple movies.

He was the guy who hired Loki and then Ronan to collect infinity stones before becoming the main antagonist of a story.

Rappaport posted:

Right, but how many people knew what it meant that Agnes was really Agatha Harkness? Okay, they showed her killing a coven around the reveal, but for the purposes of Wandavision she was still just an evil old witch-lady.

And her "The name's Agatha" reveal was Star Trek Into Darkness lame. Luckily the song was great and covered it up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rappaport posted:

She's at least in the whole show though.
I do agree that Kang would be a bit weird, people would find it confusing. At least with all the Thanos stuff he's basically just a voice in the background and doesn't affect what happens in the rest of the movie. For many people if it's Kang it'll be a massive non-sequitor.
I can't even see them unmasking Renslayer as the baddie now because of what she's said in this episode.

mutata posted:

Here's my prediction, mark me down: The puppetmaster and big bad this season is Miss Minutes. She was created by Kang/Qeng as an AI like Stark's Jarvis and put in charge of the TVA which is pruning timelines that threaten Kang's whatever-he-wants. That gives us a twist, a known antagonist, and a chance to merely hint at the bigger bad without having to establish him at all.

I'm afraid a few people have already made that! Even at the start of the series.

live with fruit posted:

One weird thing about Mbatha-Raw's performance is her American accent. It seems incredibly unnecessary and I doubt they give a reason for it at this point.

I honestly don't get why she's American but maybe all the TVA are? Wunmi Mosaku isn't american either but she's doing an american accent after all.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

live with fruit posted:

And her "The name's Agatha" reveal was Star Trek Into Darkness lame. Luckily the song was great and covered it up.

I'm not saying it was necessarily a great choice, just that giving nods to comics nerds in these shows isn't unprecedented :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

It's still disappointing to learn that they had her in more of a morally grey role originally and decided to make her an outright antagonist because they thought it'd be more fun. Her going through Wanda's memories with her and being both catty but genuinely helpful in her guidance is some of the best moments of the show and the turn to having her be a cackling villain was superficially enjoyably because of how much scenery the character got to chew but narratively empty. It also just kind of feels like some of the earlier stuff is weirdly lacking in purpose when Agatha is revealed as the big villain "all along".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More I think about today's ending the more I feel there's like no loving way they can stick the landing. Wether it's Kang, Doom, Miss Minutes, actual Time Keepers, they've alluded to "the man in charge" for what feels a long time only because our fixed goal, the time keepers, turned out to be a misdirect. Which in itself is just part of the whole variant/TVA misdirect. Which makes sense because this is the Loki show and poo poo being misdirects are par the course but now it feels like they're just misdirecting for the sake of misdirecting. So come next week we find out the REAL man behind the curtain but I also think they're going to actually have one or more layers to go through before they try to sort this poo poo out.

And while Sylvie is cool as all hell and I'd love to see her grow beyond the show there's no way they either kill her outright or give her a happy ending so Loki can go back to his status quo of lovable rear end in a top hat as this journey is basically leaving him in a similar spot where he's not plain evil.

Anyways my out of left field bullshit answer for next week's reveal is Loki and Sylvie meet..... Evil Loki and Evil Sylvie. Or their son/daughter. Their bond being strong enough to create a nexus event within an apocalypse tells me they're going to follow-up on it by actually showing the fruit of that bond.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm afraid a few people have already made that! Even at the start of the series.

Ah well then put me in the pool with them.

For the record, I don't think they're going to stick the landing. The last 2 shows I loved except the finale episode each time was just kind of whatever for me, so I'm expecting more of the same, heh.

I AM looking forward to the inevitable B plot of Mobius springing B-15 and them burning poo poo down from the inside, though.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 8, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More I think about today's ending the more I feel there's like no loving way they can stick the landing. Wether it's Kang, Doom, Miss Minutes, actual Time Keepers, they've alluded to "the man in charge" for what feels a long time only because our fixed goal, the time keepers, turned out to be a misdirect. Which in itself is just part of the whole variant/TVA misdirect. Which makes sense because this is the Loki show and poo poo being misdirects are par the course but now it feels like they're just misdirecting for the sake of misdirecting. So come next week we find out the REAL man behind the curtain but I also think they're going to actually have one or more layers to go through before they try to sort this poo poo out.

And while Sylvie is cool as all hell and I'd love to see her grow beyond the show there's no way they either kill her outright or give her a happy ending so Loki can go back to his status quo of lovable rear end in a top hat as this journey is basically leaving him in a similar spot where he's not plain evil.

Anyways my out of left field bullshit answer for next week's reveal is Loki and Sylvie meet..... Evil Loki and Evil Sylvie. Or their son/daughter. Their bond being strong enough to create a nexus event within an apocalypse tells me they're going to follow-up on it by actually showing the fruit of that bond.

Didn't they say Strange and the Multiverse of Madness would be kinda horror movie by Marvel standards? If Strange has poor bastards drying into dust on a US warship like the last episode of Loki I'm all in cause that looked terrifying.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

mutata posted:

That's the only other reveal that makes sense from a writing room narrative logic. Although a part of me hopes they go full Demon Slayer: Mugen Train 3rd act.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Parkingtigers posted:

In this new episode, I'm really starting to notice the heavy use of The Volume. It really sticks out in comparison to the rest of the show.
Kate Herron mentioned this on last week's Still Watching podcast. They did not shoot in The Volume, because there isn't one at the studio in Atlanta where they filmed. it was all done with green screens in parking lots.

Also, goddamn that was a fun episode.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tsob posted:

It's still disappointing to learn that they had her in more of a morally grey role originally and decided to make her an outright antagonist because they thought it'd be more fun. Her going through Wanda's memories with her and being both catty but genuinely helpful in her guidance is some of the best moments of the show and the turn to having her be a cackling villain was superficially enjoyably because of how much scenery the character got to chew but narratively empty. It also just kind of feels like some of the earlier stuff is weirdly lacking in purpose when Agatha is revealed as the big villain "all along".

It was a cool tv show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Someone with more marvel lore knowledge than me said that Ravonna is connected to Kang, so maybe she's behind it all, and the Ravonna that is working at the TVA is a variant.

The more I've thought about it during the day the more I've actually landed on this idea as well.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Here's my 20 page thesis on Tim the Toolman and his buddy named Al.

And I don't mean Bundy!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
With Kang as the baddie in Ant-Man/Wasp 3, I think our Loki ep 6 villian will instead be Immortus. I'm convinced that he set up the TVA to trap Kang in the quantum realm or whatever, and to limit the multiverse to only one timeline in service of that. I think that the Lokis will basically just find out that it was never about them in the first place, which maybe will give them another push to tear it all down and drat the consequences? Or maybe Ravonna will learn her true past and swoop in to end it all herself?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Richard E Grant getting drunk off wine and getting a bit pissed off about how unfair the universe is to him is something I've missed for a long time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Taear posted:

I don't think this is necessarily a problem though. Maybe in theory, Gator Loki would have been just fine so long as he did all of the things on the sacred timeline. Gator Loki was a fairly juvenile alligator so it appears he didn't make it too long until he ran off the rails. Sylvie was also young when she created a Nexus Event. The more "different" a Loki is from the conventional one, the quicker they are likely to create a nexus event.

I don't know, just an idea.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

As Nero Danced posted:

Richard E Grant getting drunk off wine and getting a bit pissed off about how unfair the universe is to him is something I've missed for a long time.

"I should have been a star!"

Courtesy of reddit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I loved almost everything about this episode, but Loki dancing around avoiding everyone during the underground brawl just felt weird. Like I maybe see what they were going for in a comedic way but it didn’t connect with me at all. The scene was absurd enough without Loki doing the mambo avoiding punches. Generally all the brawl scenes in this show have been pretty bad IMO and they should stop doing them.