Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PeterCat posted:

Hey, remember when Biden canceled the state of emergency at the border and canceled future National Guard deployments to the border?

They're back on the menu, that is the National Guard is going, paid for by active duty money, though the press release won't be for a few weeks, if ever.

I guess they can spend all the money they're saving on Afghanistan to pay for troops on the border.

This is different than the SD ARNG going on State Active Duty, this is Title 10 Regular Army active duty.

they what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You get out what you put in to an equation. Afghanistan was only ever a vehicle for war profiteers. Something got blown up? Cool, we can rebuild it shoddily and charge a fortune for doing it haphazardly. It's just gonna get blown up again anyway, and then we'll rebuild it even shittier.

Again, in an ideal world there would've been a leaflet drop offering asylum and resettlement support for Afghan *women* who are going to experience a Hell beyond words now.

And ultimately, we've just sown the seeds of the next Forever War on Terror by wholesale betraying those who believed in us. All according to plan. America must always cultivate brown boogeymen for future conflicts. Like making a deposit in the bank. =/

you get what you put in also applies to the afghan politicians and military leadership.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1412865526691414016?s=20

oh, UAE, you hosed up the entire slate of OPEC+ talks last week and wasted everyone's time?

nice oil tanker you got there, be a shame if something happened to it

It’s a container ship

https://gcaptain.com/large-blast-rocks-ship-at-jebel-ali-port-in-dubai/

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hearing idiot chuds going on about how it's always good for the economy and jerking off about it giving young men meaning coincidentally makes violence look more appealing to me

Every time I see that "hard times makes good men, good men make easy times, easy times makes soft men" horsehit going around, I want to ask them why after forty years of hard times, Afghanistan isn't having a Golden Age.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1412888525142376457?s=19

Fry shocked not shocked meme

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Oi making me nostalgic for the fens and the hooligans of the Queen's overcast isle. It was the 2010 World Cup and I was American in rural Britland, took my buddy to a pub to witness frothing football in person. It was the American Britain game and everything was all volleyball and ice cream because the score was Britland 1 America 0 until late late in the game. At the final hour there was a penalty shot or some poo poo, I couldn't understand but the score went 1-1. I told my buddy "we got to go" and when he asked why he got punched by the dude 3 stools down the bar and we had to start running.

10/10 nostaliga would be 20 in England again

Lmao it was even better than that. Clint Dempsey takes a very weak shot at goal, directly at INGERLUND’S keeper, Robert Green. Green goes to one knee to catch it and just…. Let’s it bounce off him into the goal. USA was outplayed the entire match and ol Greenie just cheesedicks one leading to a draw

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Lmao it was even better than that. Clint Dempsey takes a very weak shot at goal, directly at INGERLUND’S keeper, Robert Green. Green goes to one knee to catch it and just…. Let’s it bounce off him into the goal. USA was outplayed the entire match and ol Greenie just cheesedicks one leading to a draw

They were very cross.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PookBear posted:

you get what you put in also applies to the afghan politicians and military leadership.

You just know Dubya's administration wanted to install some Bechtel or Halliburton "Senior Vice President" flunkie before they consulted TOP. MEN. who remembered Karzai was a flunkie for Chevron and figured "hey, two birds with one stone."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

do people think you can just call the kremlin without the nsa being notified?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

11th dimensional chess, he did it because he knew it would be picked up on, so he could do a story about it, to get himself more clicks and views

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah the NSA saying anything basically gives the impression that they were spying on Fucker, even though it amounts to calling a recorded line.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The bottom line question is if someone at the NSA or an Intel Agency leaked to the media that Fucker was on a call with Russians. That's the only real no bueno thing here, because Fucker's name should've been masked if it was the NSA doing the intercepting.

But of course, absolutely everyone involved in this story is a liar. So basically, gently caress them all and they all deserve each other.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Well, there's this:

https://www.nbc15.com/2021/07/07/wisconsin-national-guard-unit-headed-southwestern-border/

NBC15 posted:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Soldiers from a National Guard unit based on southwestern Wisconsin will head to the southwestern U.S. border to assist federal officials, Guard officials announced Wednesday.

About 125 soldiers from the Prairie du Chien-based 229th Engineer Company will assist U.S. border patrol agents with what Guard officials called “non-law enforcement activities” for a year.

“The outstanding professionalism and preparedness of our troops enables the Wisconsin National Guard to rapidly respond for any mission, and I’m tremendously proud of their dedication,” Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Paul Knapp said.

The announcement said they will leave this fall but didn’t provide a specific date or destination state. Wisconsin National Guard spokesman Maj. Joe Trovato said exact deployment timelines and locations have yet to be determined.

The deployment is part of a federal border security mission that includes 23 states. The Wisconsin troops will operate under federal control with federal funding from the U.S. Department of Defense.

More specifically, there is a Guard aviation battalion on the border under 365 day Title 10 orders. The follow on unit's deployment was canceled last February after Biden canceled the state of emergency. The follow on unit has just been alerted that they are deploying after all. In 2 months they will be RIPing with the aviation in place along the border for a 365 day Title 10 deployment.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/07/07/militarys-border-mission-will-continue-least-another-year.html

military.com posted:

The U.S. military's mission at the U.S.-Mexico border has been extended through 2022, Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby told reporters Tuesday.

There are currently 3,600 National Guard troops assisting Customs and Border Protection. They are largely uninvolved with law enforcement and generally provide logistical support, including surveillance. However, Kirby said the troop presence will be reduced to about 3,000.

An email requesting information from U.S. Northern Command about the timing of the reduction did not receive a response before publication.

Thousands of U.S. troops have been deployed to the southern border since 2018, when then-President Donald Trump ratcheted up the military presence there.

Since then, the Defense Department has obligated $841 million for the border mission, according to the Government Accountability Office. However, the real cost may be higher because the federal watchdog found that the Pentagon "has not internally tracked some costs associated with border support activities."

At the mission's peak during the Trump administration, there were roughly 5,800 troops stationed along the border.

In one of President Joe Biden's first acts in office, he rescinded the emergency declaration at the border, but the military's mission remains largely intact. At least 23 states have sent troops to the border in 2021, according to a spokesperson for Northern Command.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tucker is trying to paint himself the victim of the deep state.

The entire network exists on the premise that they don't have to tell the truth.

Axios posted:

Experts say there are several plausible scenarios — including legal scenarios — that could apply.

The first — and least likely — scenario is that the U.S. government submitted a request to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to monitor Carlson to protect national security.

A more plausible scenario is that one of the people Carlson was talking to as an intermediary to help him get the Putin interview was under surveillance as a foreign agent.

In
  • that scenario, Carlson's emails or text messages could have been incidentally collected as part of monitoring this person, but Carlson's identity would have been masked in any intelligence reports.
  • In order to know that the texts and emails were Carlson's, a U.S. government official would likely have to request his identity be unmasked, something that's only permitted if the unmasking is necessary to understand the intelligence.

In a third scenario, interceptions might not have involved Carlson's communications. The U.S. government routinely monitors the communications of people in Putin's orbit, who may have been discussing the details of Carlson's request for an interview.

• But under this scenario, too, Carlson's identity would have been masked in reports as part of his protections as a U.S. citizen, and unmasking would only be permitted if a U.S. government official requested that his identity be unmasked in order to understand the intelligence. And it's not clear why that would be necessary here.

The intrigue: Two sources familiar with Carlson's communications said his two Kremlin intermediaries live in the United States, but the sources could not confirm whether both are American citizens or whether both were on U.S. soil at the time they communicated with Carlson.

This is relevant because if one of them was a foreign national and on foreign soil during the communications, the U.S. government wouldn't necessarily have had to seek approval to monitor their communications.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
E nm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tucker Carlson reacts to a mirror

RFC2324 posted:

Numerous well-placed Americans walked into the Soviet embassy in Washington at the height of the Cold War and volunteered their services, and the FBI didn’t catch them.

I mean, I don’t recommend trying it, but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that American intelligence is that incompetent.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Never forget that the right wing is wholly composed of hypocrisy and projection at this point. If AOC did exactly what he did, verbatim word-for-word, Tucker would be screaming about how she's a mega-pinko triple Hitler socia-commie out to destroy America and sap our precious bodily fluids. Nothing he says has any credibility and the default reaction to him inhaling to begin to speak should be "gently caress off, liar".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
KT tends to be right about most things and I'm not seeing how this topic is any different:

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1412931309689769985

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bird food bathtub posted:

Never forget that the right wing is wholly composed of hypocrisy and projection at this point. If AOC did exactly what he did, verbatim word-for-word, Tucker would be screaming about how she's a mega-pinko triple Hitler socia-commie out to destroy America and sap our precious bodily fluids. Nothing he says has any credibility and the default reaction to him inhaling to begin to speak should be "gently caress off, liar".

The "real americans" in this country are actively trying to destroy it and it should be repeated ad nauseum until it finally penetrates

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Foreign boogeymen kill victims for not loving an abusive spouse.

Real Americans kill victims on the same charges, but for an abusive country.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Platystemon posted:

Numerous well-placed Americans walked into the Soviet embassy in Washington at the height of the Cold War and volunteered their services, and the FBI didn’t catch them.

I mean, I don’t recommend trying it, but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that American intelligence is that incompetent.

Oh yeah Robert Hanssen was not subtle.

quote:

In 1993, Mr. Hanssen sought out a Russian agent in a parking garage and tried to give him a package with classified data, the report says. The overture was ''remarkable for its recklessness and self-destructive quality,'' it says, and the Russians were so concerned that they were being set up that they filed a formal protest with the United States government. But the investigation never led to Mr. Hanssen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

Tucker is trying to paint himself the victim of the deep state.

The entire network exists on the premise that they don't have to tell the truth.

I bet the Russians told him they'd get back to him about the interview but oh by the way the NSA is spying on you bro.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

I bet the Russians told him they'd get back to him about the interview but oh by the way the NSA is spying on you bro.

"In for a kopek, in for a ruble, Tovarisch полезный идиот." :v:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Is it coming home?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
also Jesus at that one post

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This headline was custom crafted to tear GiP apart.

https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1412844406353313796?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

But I thought Republicans were okay with ramming people with their car?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Where do you carry a 1911 when you're cycling? not a lot of places to put it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Right inside your stock gun images pocket.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mlmp08 posted:

Magnificent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A jersey pocket can hold an LCP or a subcompact Glock pretty easily. I hate the idea of needing to carry while riding but maybe this rear end in a top hat will think twice about pulling something cute with his truck when he gets out of jail/the hospital.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

I said sign lady didn’t deserve any criminal charges. That ALSO meant retaliation.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mlmp08 posted:

The more important question is:

is it a technical?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

ElMaligno posted:

is it a technical?

Yes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ElMaligno posted:

is it a technical?

No, weapon needs to be mounted to the bike to be a technical.

Let me know when they strap a Maxim on it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

No, weapon needs to be mounted to the bike to be a technical.

Let me know when they strap a Maxim on it.

This is 100% truth.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
There's going to have to be some. . . interesting legal rulings in places where "stand your ground" and "nah, you can run over protesters" are both laws.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1413122908667269121

What was the point of holding the Olympics again, other than to line the pockets of some officials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What was the point of holding the Olympics

pantslesswithwolves posted:

to line the pockets of some officials