Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Corla Plankun posted:

If I was you I'd try to recreate it on another memory card, unless you got the memory card from a real brick and mortar store and are certain it could not possibly be a forgery.

If it came from a noname company on Amazon it could be a shittier card than you think.

Bought them from B&H so I figured the chances of them being fake are pretty low, unless their rep has slipped in the last few years and I didn’t notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Corla Plankun posted:

If it came from a noname company on Amazon it could be a shittier card than you think.
Amazon mixes their own stock and stock from other sellers so you can get a fake buying from Amazon too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
U3 and uhs-iii are different things, i don’t think any uhs-iii cards are available right now. Meanwhile, u3 cards can be had for 10 dollars from b&h, so its very likely that its still a card too slow for bursting.

Eg, theres a $12 pny 64gb u3 card which claims 14.5 MBps. Nowhere near fast enough.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is CaptureOne the good lightroom replacement? Should I be looking at anything else?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Krakkles posted:

Is CaptureOne the good lightroom replacement? Should I be looking at anything else?

CaptureOne is probably the most popular and fully fleshed out replacement, but it's not cheap (especially if you don't have a camera brand that has a discounted C1 version i.e. Fuji/Sony/Nikon). It's a more powerful editor than LR, but not as fully featured on the DAM side, though I think the gap on both side has been closing (C1 has added more DAM features, LR has added more editing features). Personally C1's DAM features are sufficient for me, but YMMV.

Luminar and ON1 are other popular alternatives I've heard of, and there are also some free alternatives like Raw Therapee.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

what the hell is DAM

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thanks, that helps!

I'm thinking Digital Asset Management, aka managing your files. Assuming I'm correct on that, I don't require much in that arena, so that's probably cool.

Any strong thoughts on subscribe vs buy? Neither is a big problem, I've been paying $10/month for Adobe anyway. I do prefer to own my software, but if they're constantly meaningfully updating, subscription seems like it might be worth it.

Pointedly, I'm changing over because Adobe stopped supporting non-cloud Lightroom but also forced it to auth to CreativeCloud, which has left me in the position of having bought a copy of Lightroom (for a third computer) and subscribing to CC/Photography (for two laptops) and having that free-standing copy disabled. It absolutely pissed me off enough to pay CaptureOne ~$450 for their product.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 4, 2021

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
As far as free/open source software goes, I use Darktable. The upside is a lot of different tools, can stack multiple instances of almost anything while applying different masks, very customizable, supports scripting (including the interface). Common complaints are the interface and learning curve, but I like it.

I've used rawtherapee as well and was happy with the results, but not the workflow, but it is probably easier to try out.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Krakkles posted:

Any strong thoughts on subscribe vs buy? Neither is a big problem, I've been paying $10/month for Adobe anyway. I do prefer to own my software, but if they're constantly meaningfully updating, subscription seems like it might be worth it.

Pointedly, I'm changing over because Adobe stopped supporting non-cloud Lightroom but also forced it to auth to CreativeCloud, which has left me in the position of having bought a copy of Lightroom (for a third computer) and subscribing to CC/Photography (for two laptops) and having that free-standing copy disabled. It absolutely pissed me off enough to pay CaptureOne ~$450 for their product.

Yeah Adobe shittiness was one of the main catalysts for me switching. I'm on team perpetual license (combined with an Affinity Photo perpetual license for advanced editing), but you just have to figure out what works for you. Perpetual pays for itself if you skip even just one upgrade I believe. C1 tends to upgrade once per year, and the upgrades aren't always that substantial. If you can get the perpetual license (and upgrades) on sale it becomes even a better deal financially.

I bought C1 v12 Fuji for $109 (on sale from ~$220) in early 2019, skipped the v20 upgrade (late 2019, they jumped from v12 > v20) then bought the v21 upgrade for ~$80 after taxes in late 2020 (on sale from ~$109 IIRC). So all in all ~$190 spent over ~27 months thus far, which is around half the $14/month they charge for the Fuji version via subscription (though I believe there was a better deal on the subscription when I initially purchased the Fuji version as well). YMMV on sales and such (I'm not sure if close to half-off perpetual is the norm or if that was just a promo for the new Fuji/Sony versions) and how the math works out for the Pro (any camera brand) version if that's what you need.

One thing you might want to consider is starting with the subscription (after your trial expires) while a) you make sure you want to fully invest in C1, and b) you wait until there's a big sale on perpetual licences (probably will at least do one prior to announcing v22, which generally happens in Q3 or Q4 IIRC), then switch to perpetual at that time. That could backfire though if the perpetual sale isn't for more than ~30% off, and I believe they also sometimes put the subscription price on sale which further complicates the math.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thanks, Splinter! (Wow, that was late ... sorry.)

In Capture One, is it possible to import all of my catalogs from LR but keep the files in the same location?

It seems like there's a way to set where a catalog will store files, but I can't find any info about what it's going to do with them once it gets there, and they're already pretty well organized (Photos/Year/Month-Day; on a network drive).

I'm also open to import the files and keep them in the same location, if need be, but ideally I'd like all the edits and everything too.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Cross-posting from the film thread because I didn’t get an answer there:

Is there a recommended online scanning service? I’ve got ~50 sets of negatives I’d like to digitize and I was thinking ScanCafé?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lazyhound posted:

Cross-posting from the film thread because I didn’t get an answer there:

Is there a recommended online scanning service? I’ve got ~50 sets of negatives I’d like to digitize and I was thinking ScanCafé?

Really wish I could offer a recommendation but I’m one of those self-loathing train wrecks that scans at home.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Unless you have money to just buy good equipment scanning your own stuff might be the shittiest rabbit hole one can fall down.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I've used scancafe for old family snapshots and it was good enough for that. Be prepared to never get off their mailing list for the rest of your life though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nevermind

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I'm having a galaxybrain moment and can't seem to find it, if there is one:

What's the recommended "kit lens upgrade"? I bought a Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8 years ago from a wonderful gooon on here, but that lens has now poo poo the bed and it would cost more to fix it than to buy something new. It seems, however, that specific lens is no longer made, and I have no idea what the next best thing is. Again, sorry if this is information posted somewhere, I am just blind and stupid.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I assume you mean for apsc dslrs? You may consider moving to a mirrorless system, depending on what you have invested, your needs, what your budget for the lens is, etc.

I think Tamron still makes a 17-50mm f2.8? Not that I'm recommending it. I think sigma's equivalent is discontinued (still find it used of course), but they do have a 17-70mm f2.8-4.

The sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is great but huge and more limited in range. Probably find it in the used market for a reasonable price.

Lastly, maybe the actual kit lens is fine and just get a faster prime to meet specific needs.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Krakkles posted:

Thanks, Splinter! (Wow, that was late ... sorry.)

In Capture One, is it possible to import all of my catalogs from LR but keep the files in the same location?

It seems like there's a way to set where a catalog will store files, but I can't find any info about what it's going to do with them once it gets there, and they're already pretty well organized (Photos/Year/Month-Day; on a network drive).

I'm also open to import the files and keep them in the same location, if need be, but ideally I'd like all the edits and everything too.

I believe I imported LR catalogs without moving the actual files, but this was a while ago so I don't recall the process I took.

If you are talking about copying over your LR adjustments (that haven't been exported to a new file), in my experience this isn't going to result in similar photos in Capture One in most cases (though maybe this has improved in more recenty C1 versions, or when converting from more recent LR versions: I was coming from LR5). If you want to reliably keep all your edited versions, you'll need to export them with the edits applied (probably to TIFF if you want to edit them more in C1, but JPEG works if you just want to have a version with the LR edits for reference).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

That drat Satyr posted:

I'm having a galaxybrain moment and can't seem to find it, if there is one:

What's the recommended "kit lens upgrade"? I bought a Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8 years ago from a wonderful gooon on here, but that lens has now poo poo the bed and it would cost more to fix it than to buy something new. It seems, however, that specific lens is no longer made, and I have no idea what the next best thing is. Again, sorry if this is information posted somewhere, I am just blind and stupid.

If its APS-C sensor then my go to recommendation is always the sigma 17-50mm f2.8. The price/performance of that lens is just wonderful.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Hey folks, I'm finally buying myself a modern digital camera after a couple decades of running either my old 35mm K1000 (which I loved dearly), or one of any number of borrowed DSLRs (mostly Nikon, some Canon). I shoot a wide variety of subjects (wildlife, pet closeups, spiders, vehicles, landscapes, urban areas, and my friends beating the crap out of one another with swords) and I often find myself in areas that are very dusty, somewhat damp, and often dark.

While I think that I am pretty much sold on the Canon EOS 6D Mark II for the camera body, I could use help figuring lenses out and any sort of accessories I might be missing (lighting comes to mind, for evening fighters' practice). This would mean Canon EF mountings. I've been looking at the Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC All-in-One Zoom because I've used it before as a general purpose lens and trust Tamron, though reading through the forum here the Tamron 18-300mm looks to also be well recommended? What other lenses might compliment either of those lenses? In an ideal world, I'd like to cover most my bases in three lenses that will let me experiment and improve.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The 6d ii is a full frame camera and those are apsc lenses (I think sigma makes a 18-300mm, I didn't see a Tamron on b&h), first party apsc ef-s lenses wont mount at all, third party lenses might but results probably won't be great.

A full frame canon dslr could be a good choice if you can get your kit for a reasonable price on the used market, but development of new lenses and dslrs has slowed or halted, so I'm not sure if it a great investment if your not getting a deal on it or want to take advantage of the big market for used lenses.

Tamron has a relatively inexpensive line of new f2.8 zooms for Sony e that are well liked (and a 28-200mm), and Sony full frame mirrorless has been around long enough that there are cheaper used bodies of you don't need the newest tech.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Ah, I missed that on the Tamron and assumed that the person recommending it knew what they were talking about.

I've never shot with Sony and considering the costs involved in getting into full frame cameras so there's a certain amount of trepidation on that front.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Fools Infinite posted:

I assume you mean for apsc dslrs? You may consider moving to a mirrorless system, depending on what you have invested, your needs, what your budget for the lens is, etc.

I think Tamron still makes a 17-50mm f2.8? Not that I'm recommending it. I think sigma's equivalent is discontinued (still find it used of course), but they do have a 17-70mm f2.8-4.

The sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is great but huge and more limited in range. Probably find it in the used market for a reasonable price.

Lastly, maybe the actual kit lens is fine and just get a faster prime to meet specific needs.

Mega Comrade posted:

If its APS-C sensor then my go to recommendation is always the sigma 17-50mm f2.8. The price/performance of that lens is just wonderful.

Yeah sorry, I should have specified, I have a Canon 70D that I bought brand new when it first came out. I never had a kit lens, because I was upgrading from another secondhand and just bought my previous Tamron lens to fill the need. I'll look into the Sigma! Thank you both for the recommendation!

Is this the right one?
https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm-Aperture-Standard-Digital/dp/B003A6H27K

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Erev posted:

Ah, I missed that on the Tamron and assumed that the person recommending it knew what they were talking about.

I've never shot with Sony and considering the costs involved in getting into full frame cameras so there's a certain amount of trepidation on that front.

I just don't think buying a full frame dslr and long focal range zoom lens new is a good value. There are probably better smaller sensor kits if you don't need aperture fastness or the full frame look.

That drat Satyr posted:

Yeah sorry, I should have specified, I have a Canon 70D that I bought brand new when it first came out. I never had a kit lens, because I was upgrading from another secondhand and just bought my previous Tamron lens to fill the need. I'll look into the Sigma! Thank you both for the recommendation!

Is this the right one?
https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm-Aperture-Standard-Digital/dp/B003A6H27K
That is the right lens, probably better to look for one used, probably a little more than $200.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
This may be a weird question, but is there a recommended photo/media management system that falls somewhere between individual-user photo catalog and an enterprise level database. This would be for a non-profit with lots of member-submitted photos that they want to keep track of and pull for social media campaigns and the like.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

This may be a weird question, but is there a recommended photo/media management system that falls somewhere between individual-user photo catalog and an enterprise level database. This would be for a non-profit with lots of member-submitted photos that they want to keep track of and pull for social media campaigns and the like.

Do they happen to use Google? A Shared Drive wouldn't be terrible.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

Do they happen to use Google? A Shared Drive wouldn't be terrible.

I'm not sure (full disclosure, I'm applying for a job and figuring this out might be one of the responsibilities of the position). Do you mean storing something like an Access database on a shared drive or NAS, or using the google Photos app and having a shared photo library? I don't have a lot of details, but I think they'll want make sure photo credits are always attached and be able to easily search by subject, location, photographer, month, rating, etc, and possibly have quick shortcuts for exporting for different media. Their website is Wordpress but I'm not sure they'd want a bazillion photos just stashed there. Metadata would be important.

Do any of the Lightroom equivalents allow multiple users to access a library? I guess I can look that up.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've been diving back into actually editing my photos and was curious, what Flickr-like site people use primarily these days? I am just looking for somewhere to host my photos while I work on setting up my own managed solution and wasn't sure if something better had popped up in the ~7 years since I had actually edited and published a photo.

Also, I had posted a while back about how to find my motivation again, and you guys were right. It really boiled down to just doing and getting over the anxiety of 'not doing it right'. My therapist pushed me to embrace photography as a hobby again and I remembered what you guys had said :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr is still the most painless free option.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have a few MacBooks of varying sizes and a Windows PC.

I currently have my images stored on a NAS.

I know Lightroom Classic won't let you store libraries (but will let you store images) on a NAS.

I'd like the flexibility of culling pictures on a Windows desktop maybe some cropping, and doing the final editing on a MacBook for example.

Does anyone else do this? What program do you use?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can technically do it by syncing the catalog file between systems, but it's manual and error prone (like what if you make some edits on both systems for some reason, there's no merge function).

Adobe's solution would be to buy their cloud option which does all the necessary syncing for you. It's $$$ but is the most painless way to do it.

Alternatively use some non-Lightroom software on the Windows box to do culling and then import into LR on a Mac. Still have to worry about syncing the macs but maybe that's easier?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Yea I considered that.

I have CC through my university. I was hoping that non-Classic Lightroom would allow me to store images locally and 'stream' them to devices while editing. Kinda like having your library in the cloud. But it seems you just throw all your photos into the cloud. Which seems annoying.

EDIT:

Actually Adoobe more or less does that. As explained here anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD31fvTneGI

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 3, 2021

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Trying to optimize a few things about my workflow. In Photo Mechanic, is there a way to show only RAW files in the contact sheet? Alternatively, does Capture One have a way to import only RAW files from a selection and ignore JPGs?

Right now I use Photo Mechanic to tag/select images from a contact sheet, then drag them into Capture One for import into my catalog. But the only option in PM seems to be whether or not to combine the RAW and JPG files into a single item in the contact sheet, and I don't see a filter option in Capture One either. So either I a) import both RAW and JPG and then have to go into C1 later to manually delete the JPGs, or b) finish my tagging/selecting, unpair the RAW and JPG in the contact sheet, and then manually deselect every other item (i.e., the JPGs) before dragging into C1.

I feel like I have to be doing something wrong. Between these two very mature (and very expensive!) products, there must be some way to accomplish what I want... right? :ohdear:

Edit: Of course, all it took for me to find a solution on my own was to reach out for help :downs:. Since the C1 "always hide JPG" filter applies even in the import dialog, all I had to do was reselect all the images for import, which will then specifically select the ones being displayed (i.e., just the RAWs) and not the filtered-out JPGs. If you don't make any selections and just import all, it'll import the JPGs too, even though you can't see them. Or, if the "always hide JPG" filter is off, you can type your RAW file extension into the search box to show just those, and select from there.

I feel like it must be an oversight on Phase One's part that filtered-out images get imported too when you can't see them :geno: Or they should make it so those filters don't apply to the import dialog

404notfound fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 7, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'll likely have to go to LA to get my passport renewed in late July, and I figured I should stay the night before so I don't have to deal with traffic the morning of the appointment (which has turned this 100 mile trip into a 3-hour drive last time I did it). And if I already stay the night, I might as well bring my camera along and spend some extra time exploring, preferably on foot. What are my options in the area around the Los Angeles County Museum of Art? I would like to stay away from residential areas, indoor locations (unless tripods are allowed, but I won't be using flash), and poverty tourism (homeless camps). I do enjoy most other things, especially older buildings, brutalism, art (including graffiti), old cars. I have already been to the Getty museum and Villa before, and I don't have a desire to revisit (nor are they within walking distance).

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Moving this to the gear thread, my bad!

bagmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 12, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hi,

hope this is the right place to ask this.

Very recently I've found myself in a situation where I might be doing my first shoots with a model. And part of that is probably starting a business instagram just for this photography.

But I am extremely naive. Is there some kind of good resource that people know of that can cover some stuff I know nothing about, like contracts and what to watch out for and etc? I am so naive I don't even know what I should be learning about.

Maybe I am completely missing something else too, and so if someone would let me know about that too that'd be excellent.

And finally, I'm also looking for some portrait photography tips/tricks/lessons etc. This one I could probably google and find a youtube, but perhaps there's an industry standard resource that I should check out first that someone can point me to? Rather than me spend time learning from a poor resource

Appreciate anyones time and effort answering this. Thanks

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 4, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
B'ness questions I can answer. I'm a lowsy artist but made money doing it for a while. Rapport is the best tool you have. Make a client feel like they're part of the process without actually giving them full control of it will do a few things for you. It will make them comfortable which will yield more natural posing, it will help you understand what they want, and when it comes time to sell they'll feel like they're buying from someone they know instead of a person looking for money. Talk about what they want out of their photos and if they have seen someone's photos you like. It's a very easy cheat sheet for the kind of equipment you should include and the style of posing. But don't forget you're in charge. Explain what you're trying to achieve (number of photos, how many poses, how long the session should be, outfit changes, etc). Do not be afraid to speak out if there is a detail you don't like about their posing. If they're making a weird face, or if they have fly away hairs, or if you can see right up their skirt or whatever.

Do NOT let clients look at your photos in camera. It only gives them reason to dislike them before theyve been edited in post. Also make sure they leave their phones away from them. Not only can they take photos with the work you did for free, it's distracting and can slow down the process. I used to offer 18-35 photos with at least 12 different poses in 20 to 40 minutes once set up.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 4, 2021

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

echinopsis posted:

But I am extremely naive. Is there some kind of good resource that people know of that can cover some stuff I know nothing about, like contracts and what to watch out for and etc? I am so naive I don't even know what I should be learning about.

Google around and look for sample model releases. You'll need them if you want to use the photos of the model. If you're doing it for money, have a contract written up. You probably don't need a super professional legal contract, but at least something in plain and simple English that states what you and/or the model can and cannot do with the photos, and like mode of delivery, type of photos, no raws, etc.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have about had it with Lightroom

I am so tired of having to do the same adjustments to every photo.

-Apply crop
-Apply the "auto" setting and/or "Paste settings from previous"*
-Adjust exposure up because auto always underexposes (this might be personal preference)
-Apply camera/lens corrections

It is infuriating that i cannot apply these things when importing photos.
I always crop horizontal photos to 16:10, if i make an auto import to do this all vertical photos are cropped as well, something i don't want.
It is not possible to apply the "auto" setting upon import, as import settings are just a set of settings you have copied from a photo you have already edited. If you have applied "auto" to a photo which results in e.g. highlights +17, shadows -27 and save this to import settings every imported photo will get literally +17 and -27, not the auto settings that apply to that specific photo.
It is not possible to automatically apply camera/lens corrections because again that import setting is copied from a specific photo so Lightroom will apply the lens settings for that specific photo.

Why can i not select from a set of actions that i want Lightroom to apply to a photo when importing it?

I have been annoyed by this but enduring it for close to a decade, because most of the time i edit a single photoshoot at a time so i can tune 1 image then paste the settings to all the other photos. I have reached my limit now as i just finished editing a thousand different, unrelated photos and i had to do the same button clicks to every one of them and it took me a week. A process that could have been done in a few hours if LR was more user friendly and let me automate them.

It is also very frustrating that i cannot google any of these issues as the search results are just the same blogs/LR tutorial sites that regurgitate the same generic info that hits on a few of my keywords, none of which are relevant.

*Another issue that didn't fit above: I am so tired of having to apply every right click command twice. If i want to "paste settings from previous" i need to right click a photo and click that button twice, every single time. Nothing happens the first time i do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If you do it to one photo, you can copy the develop settings (in Develop Settings in the right-click menu in the library tab) and paste it onto all the others.