Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

My impression is Maitreya Buddha in IVA was inspired by a particular tradition of Japanese Zen which is all about "Self Power." I mainly came across it while reading up on Japanese Pure Land Buddhism which is its own very unique thing since the Buddhist schools are not so divided and even antagonistic in places like China.

In any event, Japanese Pure Land Buddhism stresses Other Power as only Amida Buddha can save us. Zen says only you can save you through your own effort and willpower. There's a reason Maitreya was a Chaos faction in IVA, he put self-reliance as the first and really only principle.

Or so my limited impression goes

I think Maitreya is a Bodhisattva not a Buddha. He becomes a Buddha for his second fight, but the Maitreya form is Bodhisattva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wasn't Lucifer only Matthew Mercer because our hoy boy was also voiced by him?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

wasn't Lucifer only Matthew Mercer because our hoy boy was also voiced by him?
Hoysically.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
SMT4A's Merkabah's design is probably a good middle ground between "just some guy with wings" and the smt4 horrifying monsters. Mostly humanoid with some bizarre features and a too-perfect porcelain exterior

Or at least so I thought from the zoom in on the face you see during actual cutscenes, when I google the full art I see that the rest of the body is a lot more inhuman than the face crop

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ancient of Days I think hit the dividing line right

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

cheetah7071 posted:

old Uriel is extremely boring and I will never be excited to fuse him, which is a crime for high-level demons imo

This isn't a problem exclusive to the angels though

counterpoint: old uriels cute

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I do admittedly have a bit of a soft spot for Uriel, along with Surt. I think it's because I was big into Imagine back in the day and those two were big significant boss fights for Law & Chaos respectively so it was a big cool thing.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Actually, I might as well ask this here. Mercer took over Kanji from Troy Baker in Persona 4 after Baker blew upa nd became too famous for tiny little series like Persona. Is Mercer a big rich fancy man now, too? Just been playing an old Compile Heart game called Fairy Fencer F and he's in it and I was like "...isn't he too big time for this?" Then again, he's Law in One Piece at present so maybe he isn't too big.

Funky Valentine posted:

The only reason Baker didn't voice Kanji the whole way through P4A is because his schedule with other VA commitments and motion capture stuff tends to be hectic as-is.

According to TV Tropes, the reason for P4A was that Troy Baker was busy getting married at the time. By the time he finished his honeymoon, Matt Mercer was well known.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MegaZeroX posted:

According to TV Tropes, the reason for P4A was that Troy Baker was busy getting married at the time. By the time he finished his honeymoon, Matt Mercer was well known.

He also recommended Matt Mercer as his replacement iirc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

Ancient of Days I think hit the dividing line right

It's so good and it sucks the Chaos equivalent super boss is so lame

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Funky Valentine posted:

Matt Mercer played Yusuke, he's a prolific and popular voice actor but not at Troy Baker's level yet

Matt is absolutely at Baker's level, he takes triple A video game jobs all the time.

He's also just an insane workaholic who's definition of a vacation is taking on more voice roles, for low paying anime.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It's a shame not to get the super cool SMT4 archangel designs for 5, but I kinda already didn't expect them to come back so I'm not too unhappy here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

Matt is absolutely at Baker's level, he takes triple A video game jobs all the time.

He's also just an insane workaholic who's definition of a vacation is taking on more voice roles, for low paying anime.
That's basically the most accurate description I've read of Matt Mercer.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Zeus from strange journey redux makes an appearance in smt5.

I loved the two-face-ish design that emphasized the duality of being the glorious king of the gods, worshipped by the Roman empire, yet also being a unfaithful rapist who slew his father and usurped his throne.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I have now reached the Diet building in SMT3:N.

Someone had fun making these corridors. What a fun way to build a maze. I can't think of any other game that uses optical illusions as a mechanic.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
God of War 3 had an optical illusion based puzzle but it was more annoying than anything.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bug Squash posted:

Someone had fun making these corridors. What a fun way to build a maze. I can't think of any other game that uses optical illusions as a mechanic.

The Diet Building is a really cool dungeon

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's a really fun place. I'm currently a bit past it doing the teleporter/warp puzzles on floor 300-something of the tower, the ones after thor. they're a little bothersome.
It's quite the final dungeon.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

nocturne is a love letter to dungeons. and i say: Im Into It

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I fell down every hole In Sector B trying to find Hariti. I finally realized it was a drat staircase by accident, did the quest and got a vest worse than the one I was wearing. I don't have the will to continue playing today

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pharohman777 posted:

I hope Zeus from strange journey redux makes an appearance in smt5.

I loved the two-face-ish design that emphasized the duality of being the glorious king of the gods, worshipped by the Roman empire, yet also being a unfaithful rapist who slew his father and usurped his throne.

Generally it is considered fair game to kill someone who wants to kill you from before you are even born.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hunt11 posted:

Generally it is considered fair game to kill someone who wants to kill you from before you are even born.

He ate his kids!!!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know how in smt4 and smt4a, theres a mechanic where you can extort money from foes or trade with them? I've been having fun in smt4a on ng+ by trying to bind and/or panic story and sidequest encounters.

Because there's some unique dialogue even for minor story or sidequest fights. Especially if the enemy would normally outright refuse fundraising or trade requests. The Kishin Marshiten responded to a trade request when panicked with "Take my items, take me even. No wait, hold on..."

Or a Murmur fight during the tsukuji konganji flynn rescue sequence where panicking it allows you to trade with it as it goes something like "Flynn who? Take my stuff!"

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 7, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He ate his kids!!!

he thought a rock was his kid, chronos was kind of dumb ngl

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He ate his kids!!!

As a god of agriculture, Cronus was very well-acquainted with reaping and sowing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He ate his kids!!!

I was on the side of Zeus here. It is very hard to judge someone for killing their father after said father attempted to eat them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

As a god of agriculture, Cronus was very well-acquainted with reaping and sowing.
https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=20

From :sickos: to :negative: a god of contrasts if there ever was one.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Zeus has no right to be that swole after being raised exclusively on goat milk.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

whoops wrong thread

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My resolve to stick with Noctune Hard Mode is really being tested... the normal fights are fine, even if I die somewhat often. But the bosses have consistently been walls. Like now I'm on, like, that one guy guarding Loki's room where you find the bill. And that guy is like, not even that tough of a boss!! Are there any good grinding spots in the Ginza/Ikebukuro area?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My resolve to stick with Noctune Hard Mode is really being tested... the normal fights are fine, even if I die somewhat often. But the bosses have consistently been walls. Like now I'm on, like, that one guy guarding Loki's room where you find the bill. And that guy is like, not even that tough of a boss!! Are there any good grinding spots in the Ginza/Ikebukuro area?

IIRC the water areas in the manikin village, where you only encounter that one fish demon who's weak to fire, is probably your best bet.

Does hard mode also mess with weaknesses and ailment procs? Troll should be weak to status so it should be reasonably easy to just nab a lilim from the area and spam charm until it sticks.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

vilkacis posted:

IIRC the water areas in the manikin village, where you only encounter that one fish demon who's weak to fire, is probably your best bet.

Does hard mode also mess with weaknesses and ailment procs? Troll should be weak to status so it should be reasonably easy to just nab a lilim from the area and spam charm until it sticks.

AFAIK Hard is just a straight numbers boost for enemies so weaknesses are all the same. It's possible that enemies have higher Luck and thus be a bit harder to hit with ailments but it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He's Weak to status effects like Charm or Panic. I didn't know this until before my latest run, either. Without those he can be legit very hard.

EDIT: Beaten, sorry. But it worked just fine for me on Hard.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yep, had no idea about the status effect weakness lol

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yep, had no idea about the status effect weakness lol

I would describe most bosses is Nocturne as puzzle bosses, and Troll is a very upsetting puzzle boss in that the correct solution is something that most video games have trained you to never bother attempting, including Nocturne because from here on out basically no boss will ever be susceptible to ailments ever again

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I want to like nocturne but it starts really slow and the negotiation system seems bad. I beat matador but I'm still mostly just attacking with everyone since I have few aoe skills and less sp. Doesn't go great with the high encounter rate.

Last time I quit after failing a negotiation (after handing over 2 of my 4 chakra drops) then getting tossed into another combat after 2 steps and the same demon refused to join again. After taking more of my items. It's like playing a loving pokemon romhack.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Brandfarlig posted:

I want to like nocturne but it starts really slow and the negotiation system seems bad. I beat matador but I'm still mostly just attacking with everyone since I have few aoe skills and less sp. Doesn't go great with the high encounter rate.

Last time I quit after failing a negotiation (after handing over 2 of my 4 chakra drops) then getting tossed into another combat after 2 steps and the same demon refused to join again. After taking more of my items. It's like playing a loving pokemon romhack.

Sometimes if you tell them no they will ask for a different item.
Better not to give away anything too valuable since the negotiation can still fail and you will always get another chance.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I guess I'm just surprised the game is that hateful to the player for how many fans the game seems to have. Persona-ish combat but actually challenging sounds like a good idea but mostly it's been tedious as gently caress.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Brandfarlig posted:

I guess I'm just surprised the game is that hateful to the player for how many fans the game seems to have. Persona-ish combat but actually challenging sounds like a good idea but mostly it's been tedious as gently caress.

SMT games mostly get pretty easy in the later game but the early game can be a bit rough to get started. More than Nocturne SMT 4 is probably the most extreme example of this in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Item Getter posted:

SMT games mostly get pretty easy in the later game but the early game can be a bit rough to get started. More than Nocturne SMT 4 is probably the most extreme example of this in the series.

You get your "you better have learned the mechanics" boss only a couple of hours into SMT4, and to be honest Minotaur is pretty good at his job. You might need to back track a little bit and collect demons with the right buffs and heals, but that only adds about half an hour to the playtime.

By contrast, loving Matador in SMT3N slams at the 6 to 8 hour mark, and if you didn't know to collect fog breath or solid buffs then gently caress you. None of the demons you can catch know it innately, and they're level up skills are hidden from you except the very next one. On top of all that, he's blocking you from getting to any decent leveling up locations, so even if you do know to fuse and level up dog snake, it takes an hour or two to actually get it high enough.

Early SMT4 was hard, but at least it never pulls a Matador on you.