Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree with others who have said that this is to distract from the indictments against his company

There's no chance that this suit goes anywhere, and I think at least part of this is to fundraise off of the lawsuit.

I assume it's a mix of fundraising, legitimately thinking he's going to win (the suit claims that because Facebook and Twitter were promoting public health information about Covid, they're somehow "state actors), and some lawyers realizing that they can bilk Trump for some money filing a lawsuit they'll never actually have to take to court or defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Or get paid for. So probably not the brightest lawyers.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BiggerBoat posted:

So Trump is suing social media companies for banning him.

Does this mean folks banned from GETTR should sue using the same argument?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

VorpalBunny posted:

Does this mean folks banned from GETTR should sue using the same argument?

What even is their argument? And could it also be applied to physical establishments?
So what if I was drunk and disorderly, pissed on the floor, trashed the place, and flirted with the servers. I have every right to go to Applebees!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
On one hand I can see SCOTUS not wanting to set a precedent to allow leftists to sue right wing social media platforms for getting banned for posting leftist politics. On the other hand if SCOTUS rules that Twitter and Facebook can't ban right wing people for their views, why would other right wing social media need to exist?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

So Trump is suing social media companies for banning him.

I thought private companies and corporations were people who were allowed to do whatever they want with their businesses? I don't see how he can win this - for a multitude of reasons - but I know for certain his lawyers won't get paid even if he does. How is this even close to censorship? I can get banned for posting here and I paid money to do it. The rules are right there. I can get locked out of any message board I post on for being an rear end in a top hat.

Sounds like the the right wing and it's media wants to get on board with a new Fairness Doctrine.

It's a performance. Trump's lawyers will do the bare minimum to move this case along until they quietly drop it sometime down the line when it has no more use. The whole point is just to provide an obviously false talking point so that they can be smirkingly, disingenuously righteous about how they are being abused by the authorities (which are not authorities in any legal sense) and even though they are all powerful and will be placed back into the reigns of power ANY MINUTE NOW.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

Weird how god beats the poo poo out of the states that love him for the crimes of other states.

wait....
*consults a bible*

No, no, this is pretty much in line with how the big man operates

Yes. It was an eye opener for me to realize that the biblical god (and most organized religious systems) is essentially rationalization for systematic, generational abuse. "Do what we say or big daddy will spank you when he gets home." is basically the entirety of the message.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SocketWrench posted:

Hell, chuds are still bitching about how that Texas storm proves wind power can't work because some windmills froze. But when you mention that the fossil fuel plants froze too and that was the reason it was such a crisis it's a non issue to them.

We're getting unusually cold winters and wet summers in western Texas. Which makes perfect sense with current climate trends because it's a high altitude desert. But still chuds be like "IF GLOBE WARM WHY SNOW"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The reason Trump's suit isn't going anywhere is a former president can't be a class representative.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We're getting unusually cold winters and wet summers in western Texas. Which makes perfect sense with current climate trends because it's a high altitude desert. But still chuds be like "IF GLOBE WARM WHY SNOW"

The people who think they can disprove climate change remain unable to explain seasons.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Also, he started fundraising off of it within an hour of the press conference.

All about the grift and Trump is the grift god.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

The reason Trump's suit isn't going anywhere is a former president can't be a class representative.

There's that and also the 1000 times Trump broke the terms of service by endorsing and encouraging violence and hate speech as well as stock market manipulation and just straight up lying. None of which is protected speech.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not sure what's funnier - that they published this or that they act like Trump wrote it.

https://twitter.com/WSJopinion/status/1413175417423507460?s=20

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Suddenly caring about Ashli the Dead Terrorist 6 months later is also a part of the new grift.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

BiggerBoat posted:

I can see all that and I wasn't calling you out for anything.

The idea of being proud of just being born somewhere always seemed odd to me. I mean, it just luck and a roll of the dice. Not sure why I need to be proud of the fact that I was born in New Mexico or forced to grow up in Delaware. Guess I need some spontaneous music lessons in a WalMart or something.

Or be forced to go fight in a war.

As Bill Hicks put it: "I dunno. My parents hosed there."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not sure what's funnier - that they published this or that they act like Trump wrote it.

https://twitter.com/WSJopinion/status/1413175417423507460?s=20

I'm not reading that garbage but it'd be pretty funny if the big, wetbrained president wrote it all himself.

Probably had Bari Weiss ghostwrite it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I've never heard of The American Conservative magazine before today. Is this the usual quality of content they provide?

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1413192011176366082

Everyone in the left and center, especially Christians, are dragging it, so I guess it's good for publicity. Bruenig's response is typical of those who are outraged.

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1413198629544792067

I once heard a story, probably apocryphal, that when Spanish conquistadors arrived in the New World, they would baptize native infants, then smash their heads in so that they'd be assured of entry into Heaven. It's a dramatic image, but it seems the inevitable result of AmCon's utilitarian and simplified approach to evangelism, where the emphasis of human dignity and the acting of divine grace in Christianity is set aside in favor of a pure numbers game. Liberal Evangelical blogger Fred Clark once said it reduced the gospel to a self-replicating computer virus, or "Amway without the soap".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Probably one of hundreds of BS publications set up with dark money to “flood the zone”. The writer just happened to manage to write the worst take imaginable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

William Bear posted:

I've never heard of The American Conservative magazine before today. Is this the usual quality of content they provide?

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1413192011176366082

Everyone in the left and center, especially Christians, are dragging it, so I guess it's good for publicity. Bruenig's response is typical of those who are outraged.

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1413198629544792067

I once heard a story, probably apocryphal, that when Spanish conquistadors arrived in the New World, they would baptize native infants, then smash their heads in so that they'd be assured of entry into Heaven. It's a dramatic image, but it seems the inevitable result of AmCon's utilitarian and simplified approach to evangelism, where the emphasis of human dignity and the acting of divine grace in Christianity is set aside in favor of a pure numbers game. Liberal Evangelical blogger Fred Clark once said it reduced the gospel to a self-replicating computer virus, or "Amway without the soap".

https://twitter.com/drearpooson/status/1413193129788854282 This part is the loving kicker for me. These assholes scream about “moral relativism” and “ends justifying the means” but these gently caress is fine with thousands of dead kids as long as each said some magic loving words before they died alone and afraid. https://twitter.com/elijahcraan/status/1413194033485295625

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 8, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has Chowder ran his mouth about this yet?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Casimir Radon posted:

Probably one of hundreds of BS publications set up with dark money to “flood the zone”. The writer just happened to manage to write the worst take imaginable.

From its website, I can see The American Conservative was founded in 2002 by Pat Buchanan. The chairman of its advisory board is Tucker Carlson.

That explains a lot.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 8, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
"When they discovered, from the admissions of some of them, that there were Catholics mingled with the heretics they said to the abbot "Sir, what shall we do, for we cannot distinguish between the faithful and the heretics." The abbot, like the others, was afraid that many, in fear of death, would pretend to be Catholics, and after their departure, would return to their heresy, and is said to have replied "Kill them all for the Lord knoweth them that are His" (2 Tim. ii. 19) and so countless number in that town were slain.[5]"

Christians shrugging at their own brutality and hypocrisy because of 'magic words' is nothing new.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/drearpooson/status/1413193129788854282 This part is the loving kicker for me. These assholes scream about “moral relativism” and “ends justifying the means” but these gently caress is fine with thousands of dead kids as long as each said some magic loving words before they died alone and afraid. https://twitter.com/elijahcraan/status/1413194033485295625

Ah yes, can't wait for their article about how the Trail of Tears was a nice gentle hike.

William Bear posted:

From its website, I can see The American Conservative was founded in 2002 by Pat Buchanan. The chairman of its governing board is Tucker Carlson.

That explains a lot.

A whole hell of a lot.

Gentlemen: BEHOLD:

https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/1413235392749477892?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 8, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Donald Trump would never wear his natural hair colour

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
whats with the flute players leg/foot?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

whats with the flute players leg/foot?

Pretty sure its a mask that Sleepy Joe is holding up while laying on the ground.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
He's getting lazy.
Three of the feet are copy and paste, two of which are hovering over the ground with shadow.
He couldn't be arsed to draw Owen's/Trump's other foot either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, can't wait for their article about how the Trail of Tears was a nice gentle hike.

A whole hell of a lot.

Gentlemen: BEHOLD:

https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/1413235392749477892?s=20

Wait, why is Jon Favreau in the background? I know he's become an accidental right wing superstar because the TV arm of QAnon thinks he's plotting to take over Disney and kick out all the communists, but this is just weird...

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait, why is Jon Favreau in the background? I know he's become an accidental right wing superstar because the TV arm of QAnon thinks he's plotting to take over Disney and kick out all the communists, but this is just weird...

I've stopped paying close attention to Qanon, so you could tell me they now believe literally anything and I'll just throw up my arms and say "yeah, sure, why not, makes sense."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

That’s actually the artist

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just stopping by to say I remembered during work that El Rushbo is a dead rear end in a top hat today. Still making me happy, rest in piss you hateful sack of poo poo I hope it hurt.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't know John Favreau could paint.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He did go to bat for Carano the first time she screwed up and tried to talk some sense into her. Obviously that didn’t work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

He did go to bat for Carano the first time she screwed up and tried to talk some sense into her. Obviously that didn’t work.

I mean that makes sense. He gave her a chance to not be a loud rear end in a top hat moron and then she compared herself to the jews during the Holocaust and there was no saving her from that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/eringibson/status/1413187124631937026

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I've stopped paying close attention to Qanon, so you could tell me they now believe literally anything and I'll just throw up my arms and say "yeah, sure, why not, makes sense."

Oh yeah. There's a literal "QAnon, but for TV/movies/comics" now and has been around since like 2017-ish(?).

They're big on YouTube and Twitter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I accidentally clicked on something one time on YouTube and was treated to some idiot in a sci-fi helmet shrieking about woke Star Wars or something.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

I recognized noted rear end in a top hat Candace Owens, but I had to check:

https://jonmcnaughton.com/patriotic/americana/spirit-of-2024/ posted:

“Spirit of 2024” by Jon McNaughton

An interpretation of the famous painting titled “Spirit of ‘76” by Archibald Willard, painted in 1876.
Figures from left to right: Candace Owens, President Trump, Dinesh D’Souza, the artist

Below: Sleepy Joe Biden
In a way I appreciate Garrison's propaganda more because it's not trying to be art quite like McNaughton's is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I didn't so much recognize Candace Owens as I went "Oh it's a black woman marching with Trump, gotta be Candace Owens." I wasn't 100% sure if the guy with the fife was Dinesh, so I'm glad to see I was right on that one too.

Now I have a few questions for Jon McNaughton. One, where's the fife, and two, gimme the fife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

William Bear posted:

lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Conservative

Circulation: 5,000

"Before the 2006 midterm elections, The American Conservative urged its readers to vote for Democrats: "It should surprise few readers that we think a vote that is seen—in America and the world at large—as a decisive “No” vote on the Bush presidency is the best outcome".[6]"

"In 2009, Reihan Salam, National Review editor,[13] wrote that the publication had "gained a devoted following as a sharp critic of the conservative mainstream".[14]"

"In 2012, David Brooks, columnist at The New York Times, wrote:

The American Conservative has become one of the more dynamic spots on the political Web. Writers like Rod Dreher and Daniel Larison tend to be suspicious of bigness: big corporations, big government, a big military, concentrated power and concentrated wealth. Writers at that Web site, and at the temperamentally aligned Front Porch Republic, treasure tight communities and local bonds. They’re alert to the ways capitalism can erode community. Dispositionally, they are more Walker Percy than Pat Robertson.[15]"

"In April 2020, Johnny Burtka, executive director and acting editor of The American Conservative, said that the publication’s ambition is to "become The Atlantic of the right."[12] Burtka also noted that the publication’s online page views had "grown significantly" under the Trump administration.[12]"

Interesting how it seems to (according to evidence of a handful of wiki quotes, for all that's worth) have started out as a truly traditionally conservative publication, to the point it even went against the modern GOP's bullshit, but of course over time and from the allure of website hits, adjusted it's stance significantly.

The internet was indeed a mistake.