Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is that still in? For some reason I thought they ditched that feature.

Even so it's still WAY too accurate iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is that still in? For some reason I thought they ditched that feature.

Even so it's still WAY too accurate iirc.

It is, just not in competitive settings. Simulation settings definitely have it, not sure about casual.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Ace Jameson posted:

One thing that helped me a lot in terms of hitting was to turn off the strike zone. It was loving with my depth perception and it caused me to chase pitches that were right on the corner. Once I got rid of it I started getting more selective and looking for pitches I could actually do something with.

Thank you for this. It’s helped me as well

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to report another thing I did for a day or two of practice that helped me a TON:

I really think after messing with different approaches that the best thing is to above all else try to read the timing of the pitch, as far as like whether it's a fastball or breaking ball and get the right timing. The game is pretty forgiving about bad PCI placement, even to the point where I've gotten home runs off balls that aren't even in the PCI, as long as your timing is good.

So what I did was I dropped the game all the way to veteran, but you could even use rookie if veteran is too hard, and went to batting practice and had it only throw strikes, and I just concentrated on like trying to get the PCI on it but above all else to get only good timing. I feel also like when you train your brain to focus on what type of pitch it is like this the location sort of also comes as a bonus, like you can't recognize it's a slider without also knowing how it's going to break. The next step is to actually get your thumb to actually be able to quickly adjust the PCI based on the pitch, like actually drop it or move it to the side while you wait for the break, which is pretty tough in real time so that's why I advise doing it on rookie or veteran to start.

Basically I just started by doing BP where I only did strike fastballs and I got to where I could just nail those every time, in order to get natural at aiming and timing fastballs, then from then on I treated every ball like a fastball initially and then reacted and moved the PCI and waited if it was breaking. I know that's what everyone says to do but they don't really detail how to get to where you can do that, and the above is what I did that really helped me. I couldn't hit very well at all in this game on release and I've been hitting like .400 in this current event and getting 6-7 wins at a time where before I would just get 1 or 2 then lose 2. One exercise I do also is to go into team practice and see what the highest difficulty is that I can drain the pitcher's confidence all the way to 0, and I've gotten up to Hall of Fame doing that so far, haven't been able to do it on legend yet but I think it's a good measuring stick of how you are at just raw reacting to pitches without being able to use any opponent reads.

Anyway hope this helps someone, I thought it changed my game a lot.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Thank you for this. It’s helped me as well

Nice, glad I could help

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Stefan Prodan posted:

So what I did was I dropped the game all the way to veteran, but you could even use rookie if veteran is too hard

imo anyone who wants to practice and get better at the game should not be playing on rookie under any circumstances. Practicing on rookie is going to teach you insanely bad batting habits. Veteran minimum for the cage, all the way. The difficulty increase overall is negligible and it will prevent you from getting used to the artificial hang times of pitching on rookie, which you will have to do extra work to undo once you move up.

other than that, really great post and very helpful for new players :toot:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

imo anyone who wants to practice and get better at the game should not be playing on rookie under any circumstances. Practicing on rookie is going to teach you insanely bad batting habits. Veteran minimum for the cage, all the way. The difficulty increase overall is negligible and it will prevent you from getting used to the artificial hang times of pitching on rookie, which you will have to do extra work to undo once you move up.

other than that, really great post and very helpful for new players :toot:

idk I disagree I think rookie is fine for getting the pci perfect and I used it a lot when I was starting out

I don't think it's different from any other skill in life where you want to practice as slow as you have to to get it exactly right at first then speed up

That's just my opinion though I could be wrong but I don't think it stopped me from improving

I mean I do agree with you though that veteran is not much harder and you could probably also just start there and be fine

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Doing rookie Tops Now moments gently caress me up for a few games.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

This lightning Kyle Schwarber card is loving insane. Will probably be the best C card we'll get until the very end of the year.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ihatepants posted:

This lightning Kyle Schwarber card is loving insane. Will probably be the best C card we'll get until the very end of the year.

I'm just real nervous about the 75 arm strength against how many good 99 speed/stl players there are

I was gonna maybe play him in RF or play him in his normal position and move Soriano over to right

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

that speed in LF is gonna be rough anywhere but a bandbox, let alone any other OF positions.

I think he's either a bad defense catcher or honestly a pinch hitter for most teams

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

that speed in LF is gonna be rough anywhere but a bandbox, let alone any other OF positions.

I think he's either a bad defense catcher or honestly a pinch hitter for most teams

That's true I guess he's significantly slower than Trout even if his fielding is similar

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yeah outfield is kind of weird where speed can be more important than actual defensive stats since fly balls basically never get booted unless the defensive stats of the players are absurdly low, so getting to the ball fast can be better than having a defender that can make diving catches. 48 speed isn’t slow enough that I’d avoid starting him as my left fielder though. I’m not sure if I’ll make the switch but I might take Schwarber over Braun as my LF starter just for the more favorable stats against righties and then double-switch Braun in if I need the matchup against LHP.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I'm moving Schwarber in for Sizemore in RF until he's level 5,at which point he'll move to C. My outfield will be Finley, Trout, and Schwarber and I'm okay with that for a while.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have Soriano, Trout, and Acuna currently and am pretty tempted to put Dominguez in for Acuna mostly because I think the switch hitting is worth a lot to me

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm just real nervous about the 75 arm strength against how many good 99 speed/stl players there are

I’ve been using Posada at C so I’m not really worried about the arm strength. Also I’m not good enough online for it to matter much anyway (I can’t play this game online without a noticeable delay despite having very good internet - 1000/500mbps down/up)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been using Justice in LF and he's been great. Good old Bux in CF until I die I guess.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

New all star and hrd cards are so fuckin good and easy to get, hell yeah

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
After the Cruz player event I was just in awe at how I absolutely raked with that card and then I get a high 90s version? Wonderful

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tatsuta Age posted:

New all star and hrd cards are so fuckin good and easy to get, hell yeah

The Prince Fielder just effortlessly rakes. It rules.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man doing that acuna program was.... lucrative.

I got a lot of pack luck but made probably a half mil in stubs and packed both Alonso and Vlad Jr.

degroms all star card is just stupid. I played a guy on legend with both of us cheesing with him and between us we had 37 strikeouts and I won with a 320 ft contact swing home run that was my only hit other than a ground all up the middle.

BASEBALL

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I haven't gotten up to where I'm good enough to play on legend at all but I'm still playing a lot and I think I'm like ok, like I hang with world series players in events/BR and stuff and don't get blown out, but man I cannot hit that DeGrom card at all even on all-star playing the event

I did the Acuna proram and the Ohtani collection so I mean apart from a couple players like Vida Blue and Al Leiter I still have mostly the best team in the game but I guess that's only barely better than one that's 1/10 the cost because they're so generous in this game

You said before you're like a borderline WS player right? How long have you played the game? I feel like I'm hitting a wall around HOF difficulty, and even on all-star I just can't react fast enough to some of these 102 mph pitches and stuff in the events/BR

When I do win it's mainly just by outsmarting people I think and using my poker background to get reads on people pretty well and if they throw the poo poo I'm expecting I can blast it, or if I can at least narrow it down to like "this guy always throws a fastball somewhere in the strike zone as his third pitch" or like "this guy never throws two fastballs in a row" I can hit pretty well but if I have to just go purely reactive like in this quick count event I don't do great even though I do BP a lot

I keep changing like my approach to batting, like not my strategy but my actual mechanical approach with the controller and like sort of how I'm physically trying to aim, how close I'm trying to get, when I'm trying to move the stick, how closely should my eye be tracking the ball, etc. Can't really nail down what I think is best and no one on youtube or anything goes over it in enough detail. I'm not even sure anyone knows what they are doing, they just learned to do it.

For instance for awhile I was trying to like really get the PCI right on the ball but I think on the higher difficulties, it just makes you too slow, you can't be that accurate, you have to just really focus on the timing and try to be "close enough" and just hope you happened to get the PCI on it, there just isn't enough time to like fine tune where it's going to be and I also just physically find it hard to pull the thumb stick up and in fast enough on righty-righty high inside fastballs.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 19, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
there's a lot of 800+ players, myself included, for whom several pitchers are borderline impossible to hit at hof or above (Edward god drat Cabrera, glavine, Paxton, now degrom). those guys are basically everyone's rotation when you get above 800, so most games are 2-1 barn burners with all the runs coming on lucky dingers. I'm usually up and down around 900 and when I have to hit on legend (ie, I'm above 900 and playing another 900+ player) it is just lol. I'm at the point where now I just lose a couple of games intentionally to get back below 800 and actually hit the ball sometimes.

what you described is pretty much what we all do...eat outs until you ID a tendency or two, then try to guess right and hope you don't miss. it is engaging but is mentally taxing. for me at least. sometimes I just want to crush dingers in a 13-12 dong fest.

there are folks out there who can actually "hit" at hof+ (like as in recognize pictures and move the PCI to where the pitch is and swing with appropriate timing) but I will almost certainly never be one of those people. it is also very clear when you get matched up against one of them.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

there's a lot of 800+ players, myself included, for whom several pitchers are borderline impossible to hit at hof or above (Edward god drat Cabrera, glavine, Paxton, now degrom). those guys are basically everyone's rotation when you get above 800, so most games are 2-1 barn burners with all the runs coming on lucky dingers. I'm usually up and down around 900 and when I have to hit on legend (ie, I'm above 900 and playing another 900+ player) it is just lol. I'm at the point where now I just lose a couple of games intentionally to get back below 800 and actually hit the ball sometimes.

what you described is pretty much what we all do...eat outs until you ID a tendency or two, then try to guess right and hope you don't miss. it is engaging but is mentally taxing. for me at least. sometimes I just want to crush dingers in a 13-12 dong fest.

there are folks out there who can actually "hit" at hof+ (like as in recognize pictures and move the PCI to where the pitch is and swing with appropriate timing) but I will almost certainly never be one of those people. it is also very clear when you get matched up against one of them.

Yeah I guess it's tough cause you see guys on YouTube like Yourfriendkyle or pitching_Rebel or whoever who are just freaks who really can just react and paste it and score 11 runs in a BR game and stuff like that and I just need to keep in mind those guys probably have thousands of hours in batting practice and thousands more in game time over the years

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah...like, I think I play a lot and I think I have around 130 ranked season games so far this year. couple that with all of the programs and moments and showdowns and poo poo and it's quite a bit of time, especially for an adult with a job and kids who basically can only play after his wife goes to bed.

I'm sure natural talent plays into it -- which I'm also sure I have next to none of -- but just the amount of time those top 100 guys put into this activity is kind of eye-watering when you really think about it. at least they're finding a way to monetize it, of sorts.

anyway point being definitely don't feel like there aren't a zillion of us out there, like me, who also cannot catch up to degroms fastball up and in, both in this game and in real life...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

yeah...like, I think I play a lot and I think I have around 130 ranked season games so far this year. couple that with all of the programs and moments and showdowns and poo poo and it's quite a bit of time, especially for an adult with a job and kids who basically can only play after his wife goes to bed.

I'm sure natural talent plays into it -- which I'm also sure I have next to none of -- but just the amount of time those top 100 guys put into this activity is kind of eye-watering when you really think about it. at least they're finding a way to monetize it, of sorts.

anyway point being definitely don't feel like there aren't a zillion of us out there, like me, who also cannot catch up to degroms fastball up and in, both in this game and in real life...

if you ever wanna play some friendlies let me know, I think it would be cool to have someone also to play practice sets with where we can tell each other to only throw pitches we have problems with but with more control (like for instance I can say throw high and in fastballs mixed with low and away sliders or some combo like that whereas you can't set specific locations to specific pitches with the CPU)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Having a friendly scrim partner to call out your pitch tendencies is probably an amazing perk too. I try to evaluate myself and the game makes it easy for a particular batter but tendances/contact/shift/etc you need more data.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

Having a friendly scrim partner to call out your pitch tendencies is probably an amazing perk too. I try to evaluate myself and the game makes it easy for a particular batter but tendances/contact/shift/etc you need more data.

Yeah if anyone else here wants to play and we can try to soul read each other I'm game

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I have over 500 ranked games played and have not even tried to monetize anything. But I can reach world series!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I have over 500 ranked games played and have not even tried to monetize anything. But I can reach world series!

I should probably actually try to reach world series at some point, I just keep getting to 700 and then stopping playing ranked entirely lol

Too scary!!!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

if you ever wanna play some friendlies let me know, I think it would be cool to have someone also to play practice sets with where we can tell each other to only throw pitches we have problems with but with more control (like for instance I can say throw high and in fastballs mixed with low and away sliders or some combo like that whereas you can't set specific locations to specific pitches with the CPU)

definitely! i wont be back in my living room until august but trying to pitch whisper a buddy sounds like a cool exercise

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Finally got my AS ronny and prince cards!

Still suck at the game but kicking rear end at the collectathon part

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Made a new account recently, and I was kinda surprised how quickly you can throw together a good team. Currently 8-1 in ranked seasons, and the one loss was against a person that was doing a lot of bunting stuff, which I usually struggle with a lot. First game online I played I hit a walk off home run with Travis Shaw. Still lacking in the bullpen, but I'll probably get closer with like TA3 Hader and stuff.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the game gives you insanely good teams for cheap which is fun, you can grind all you want and the best possible team in the game will only be like 10% better than a casual team which I think is totally fine

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

blossommirage posted:

Made a new account recently, and I was kinda surprised how quickly you can throw together a good team. Currently 8-1 in ranked seasons, and the one loss was against a person that was doing a lot of bunting stuff, which I usually struggle with a lot. First game online I played I hit a walk off home run with Travis Shaw. Still lacking in the bullpen, but I'll probably get closer with like TA3 Hader and stuff.

If you didn't already know, pause, go to defensive position or something like that, change to the batter they bunt with (or anyone fast), put 2b IN and 3b in Bunt Defense. 1b in Bunt Defense, too, if you're still having trouble.

I want that Harper for BR, and I just realized you can get the rewards without going 12-0, which is great, cause I suck. Summer is ending soon, though, and I gotta go back to work, not sure I'll make it!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

If you didn't already know, pause, go to defensive position or something like that, change to the batter they bunt with (or anyone fast), put 2b IN and 3b in Bunt Defense. 1b in Bunt Defense, too, if you're still having trouble.

I want that Harper for BR, and I just realized you can get the rewards without going 12-0, which is great, cause I suck. Summer is ending soon, though, and I gotta go back to work, not sure I'll make it!

You can also hit down(?) on the dpad to quickly change to bunt defense

I wish I knew more about when to do shifts in baseball, I really have no idea

I even watched the braves a lot as a kid but I didn't play and I mean I feel like you don't actually learn much about the on field strategy stuff by watching as much as you do with football

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 21, 2021

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

You can also hit down(?) on the dpad to quickly change to bunt defense

I wish I knew more about when to do shifts in baseball, I really have no idea

I even watched the braves a lot as a kid but I didn't play and I mean I feel like you don't actually learn much about the on field strategy stuff by watching as much as you do with football

Usual shorthand is to press start and see the batter tendancy. It used to be looking for extreme pull or extreme push hitters, then shift towards them for pull or away for push.

Then you want to pitch them into your shift, so don't go outside on someone your shifting extreme pull. You want to jam them into a pop up where you have a ton of people or get them to hit a hard grounder, but you want that all the time anyway.

In real life it seems like everyone gets shifted now. At least lefties. The return is diminished. Also in real life it's based on actual spray charts, so you can determine if a player sprays grounders AND/OR fly balls evenly or maybe they pull line drives and grounders but push fly balls. That might mean you want to aggressively shift the infield but keep your OF cheating over. Or swap your LF and CF so you have more range if he pops it up.

It's a fun thing and I wish broadcasts did more to explain each player's tendances and how teams react, because sometimes they don't, even in similar game situations. Like if your pitcher can't really get by pitching inside in an extreme pull and needs to mix in outside breaking pitches, you can't shift the infield because a late tapper is an easy single.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
re: Catcher chat, I’ve been using the Topps Now Jacob Stallings for his ridiculous defensive stats and I feel like it pays dividends. I already leveled him up to III so he basically throws out every runner and my pitchers seem to do better with him behind the plate. He’s also hit like .300 (playing on all-star), not a ton of power but he’s no automatic out.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ace Jameson posted:

re: Catcher chat, I’ve been using the Topps Now Jacob Stallings for his ridiculous defensive stats and I feel like it pays dividends. I already leveled him up to III so he basically throws out every runner and my pitchers seem to do better with him behind the plate. He’s also hit like .300 (playing on all-star), not a ton of power but he’s no automatic out.

I use the all star JT Realmuto for the same reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I was using live series Yasmani Grandal until sometime in late May or early June if I remember correctly

Being able to just bury pitches in the dirt or get easy perfect throws on stealing runners is just too good (also even with just bronze hitting stats he was still one of the top hitters on my team)