Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
You should be drug tested before you're allowed to post in the OSHA thread and randomly drug tested after your posting privileges are first instated.

Edit: a page snipe with an awful post like this? No bother going in for my something awful drug testing since I'm gonna fail anyway. Gimme a sixer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ror posted:

I do think Staplerfahrer Klaus could have done with a lot more crack-smoking montages.

Do note that Staplerfahrer Klaus would never be tested for drugs because that would be illegal. There are very few jobs where that would be legal – pilots, doctors and so on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powershift posted:

And the tank asked the SUV "why did you tip us? now we'll both sink" and the SUV said "it's in my nature"

:golfclap:

However, I will have to comment that it is also the nature of the BTR-60 to sink if something is just slightly off. In 1991 seven Finnish conscripts drowned in what was meant to be a fun amphibious exercise where the unit crosses a lake in BTR's. The mindset of the officers was that the BTR is an unsinkable boat so they overloaded one of the vehicles in the column and did this unevenly, with more weight in the rear. Seven men were inside and seven on the deck, four of them officers. As part of the exercise the vehicles were camoed, which made it harder to notice just eyeballing that the vehicle was unbalanced to its rear. Camoflage also made it harder to notice if water was getting in through open hatches. Ten minutes to the trip someone noticed that motor was overheating, and engine hatches were opened to let air flow. Then some water got inside the vehicle and despite pumping, 20 minutes into the trip there was so much water that a steam cloud came out of the engine compartment, then the rear sank and within one second the whole APC was beneath the waves and the seven conscripts inside drowned.

Accident investigation with simulated weights on the rear deck of a BTR.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like that the back end of the car is normal under they back up out of frame only to return to a trunk in the shape of a taco.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

coupedeville posted:

You should be drug tested before you're allowed to post in the OSHA thread and randomly drug tested after your posting privileges are first instated.

Edit: a page snipe with an awful post like this? No bother going in for my something awful drug testing since I'm gonna fail anyway. Gimme a sixer.

I won't for this particular post but if you guys don't shut the gently caress up about drug testing, the probes will begin.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, in the US if a potential employer calls up a former employer and the former employer talks poo poo about the employee they absolutely can be sued for it. How often that happens in practice, I have no idea, but the company I work for has a strict policy of only confirming job titles and dates of employment. At a minimum, companies do legit fear this.

To get around this, a lot of places will demand references from every past job, and will look really poorly on anyone who cannot, basically assuming that if there's no reference, they were a bad employee. And that's aside from smaller industries where everyone knows everyone and potential employees can get an off-the-record comment on an employee via a phone call so there's no paper trail to subpoena if the person doesn't get the job.

You speak in code about previous staff when you get a call for a reference or if you call out for a reference from a previous employer for a potential new hire.
If the person was good, you say "They're the best person I've ever worked with. If I had 3 Jim's I could fire 10 employees." That sort of hyperbole.
If the person was awful, you say, they worked from Date X to Date Y, they are eligible to re-apply for employment.
If they were really bad, i.e. theft, showing up to work stoned, killing someone, that sort of thing, you say "They are not eligible to apply for employment with us." Never say any details.

This keeps you safe from lawsuits because you never bad mouthed them. You just answered questions. I assure you, there are people that will go to the state if you give them a bad reference.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

coupedeville posted:

after each post please send pee samples to:

Something Awful Compliance
c/o Jeffery of Yospos
po box 42069
new york, ny

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mostlygray posted:

You speak in code about previous staff when you get a call for a reference or if you call out for a reference from a previous employer for a potential new hire.
If the person was good, you say "They're the best person I've ever worked with. If I had 3 Jim's I could fire 10 employees." That sort of hyperbole.
If the person was awful, you say, they worked from Date X to Date Y, they are eligible to re-apply for employment.
If they were really bad, i.e. theft, showing up to work stoned, killing someone, that sort of thing, you say "They are not eligible to apply for employment with us." Never say any details.

This keeps you safe from lawsuits because you never bad mouthed them. You just answered questions. I assure you, there are people that will go to the state if you give them a bad reference.

I had boss that would just talk poo poo about any employee that used her a reference. Either because she didn't like them, or because she was pissed that they wanted to stop working for her.

What the gently caress is a min wage employee going to do? Court stuff is too expensive for someone making $20k/yr.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I got a 25k settlement from someone who bad mouthed me to new employers, and I got in on recording by having my friend ask at the beginning "Hey, I need to get a reference for BobaPearl? Do you mind if I record this for training purposes?" And they said yes, and then proceeded to say I was one of the worst employees ever, regularly showed up high, and bricked multiple iPhones.

e: The lawyer worked in exchange for like a % of the settlement if we got money, and she chased that fucker dowwwwwn.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

I got a 25k settlement from someone who bad mouthed me to new employers, and I got in on recording by having my friend ask at the beginning "Hey, I need to get a reference for BobaPearl? Do you mind if I record this for training purposes?" And they said yes, and then proceeded to say I was one of the worst employees ever, regularly showed up high, and bricked multiple iPhones.

e: The lawyer worked in exchange for like a % of the settlement if we got money, and she chased that fucker dowwwwwn.

e2: There was also an agreement about the kind of references he would give going forward, though I've mostly just left him off my job history at this point.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

c/o Jeffery of Yospos
po box 42069
new york, ny

Have been for years

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
To get this back on track. I'm not great at embedding stuff from IG so here are a couple links:

Gantry crane vs Forklift.
Forklift operator lives but unfortunately suffers a spinal injury. There's no gore but if you have an issue seeing someone get nearly crushed by a crane, probably don't click it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ9Lh8ZJbu8/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Aftermath pictures:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ9iSftnMyT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Piss test samples are stored in Jefferys' balls.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

c/o Jeffery of Yospos
po box 42069
new york, ny

Is there any way I can submit my samples with a local compliance facility? I've had issues in the past with sending bodily waste through the US postal service and they'll come down hard on me if I start that poo poo up again :(

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
boom goes the container ship?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/middleeast/dubai-fire-port-jebel-ali-intl/index.html

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Boba Pearl posted:

Nice! Glad that worked out for you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Boba Pearl posted:

There are lawyers who will work on contingency. I need to find out how to get a real lawyer.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

mostlygray posted:

As I understood you shouldn't give a bad reference unless you can back it up. Keep a paper trail at least.

A lot of the plumbing work in my hometown was reputation based. I didn't have a reputation at all coming out of trades school (good or bad), so I never got picked up for work. Pretty sure it was the same story for a lot of the construction jobs there.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Here's my one and only drug-testing story:

I had been working in the Middle East for 2 years, so I hadn't done any drugs cause it wasn't really worth the risk. I moved to Sweden in 2010 and it took me like 4-5 months to get a job, since my Swedish wasn't good enough then and it was a very competitive job market. So I accepted the offer, signed the contract, and my start date was set for the following Monday.

To celebrate finally getting a job, my wife and I decided to take a long weekend in Barcelona to celebrate. This included smoking quite a lot of hash.

I turn up for work on Monday and as part of my induction I'm told to book myself a time at a nearby lab for a drug test. Awesome! I work in design/marketing, but a decent percentage of the team worked on an assembly line with heavy machinery, so the drug testing was 'for their safety' and everyone in the company had to do it 'to be fair'.

I drank a shitload of water before the test, and my pee was too diluted to get a decent result. And by the time I could book another test, it was a week later and I passed fine. Not sure what they would have done if I failed. Soon after that, I was chatting with another guy in the management team, who had been there for more than a year, and he said he just never bothered to do the test. No one had bothered following up with him about it.

So yeah gently caress drug testing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's almost like having cabal of business owners who all go out of their way to share information about their employees and keep blackball lists harm workers?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

zedprime posted:

Another proposal: drug testing is still allowed but HR needs to keep all the piss "just in case" for auditing. Any compromise of the piss archive renders the program void.

Piss is stored in the vault.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Red Rox posted:

I turn up for work on Monday and as part of my induction I'm told to book myself a time at a nearby lab for a drug test. Awesome! I work in design/marketing, but a decent percentage of the team worked on an assembly line with heavy machinery, so the drug testing was 'for their safety' and everyone in the company had to do it 'to be fair'.

Did customer support at a factory and I would go out to eat with the engineering team. They'd take an hour at least and have like 4 beers before going back to the office, every day. One of the guys was the controls guy and he'd be climbing all over the machinery fixing their robots. I never drank with them cause, you know, heavy machinery.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Okay, the car reversing out of frame after the initial hit, then reappearing with a massive dent in the back was comedy loving gold.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/Chase_Hend/status/1412789882708279303

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, the car reversing out of frame after the initial hit, then reappearing with a massive dent in the back was comedy loving gold.

Drunk as gently caress or baby's first driving lesson?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Panic plus confusing the brake and accelerator, I'm guessing.

Also, probably drunk, yes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that Osha Bear?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Boba Pearl posted:

proceeded to say I was one of the worst employees ever, regularly showed up high, and bricked multiple iPhones.

Was it true?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Jesus, that forklift vs gantry crane page has some beauties.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COVmTHzHuK2/

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I misread that piss sample address with the PO box and thought it was trying to be a zip code. Turns out 42069 is a valid zip code for Lowes, KY.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lol at my first job at a convenience store when I was a shithead teenager I straight-up stole money from the till and walked off the job when the new manager started sniffing around and he still gave me a good reference when I applied for a job somewhere else.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Lol at my first job at a convenience store when I was a shithead teenager I straight-up stole money from the till and walked off the job when the new manager started sniffing around and he still gave me a good reference when I applied for a job somewhere else.

Worked at starbux in the late 90's and this gal started the same time I did...poo poo devolved to her taking near hour long bathroom breaks and clearly being on heroin...which went on too long, but she didn't lose her job...then she just left work one day, with a full till of money. And somehow, likely due to some inappropriate relationship with the store manager, wasn't fired, but did quit after coming back a few more times to sort of work. Pretty fun job tbh.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Worked at a call center where one day the meth head two rows over stood up mid-shift, took his shirt off, ran a few screaming laps around the cubicles until they chased him outside, and was back at work the next day like nothing had happened.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Someone needs to teach the new guy to wear his PPE... No I'm not going to do it, I'm busy sorry.

E; also please be sure he's been drug tested

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Jesus, that forklift vs gantry crane page has some beauties.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COVmTHzHuK2/

My lungs hurt just looking at this.

Also how did the gantry crane come down so easily? are they not good with lateral forces I guess?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
https://i.imgur.com/c44TLYE.mp4

More like ouch-a em I right!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I love when ladders just disintegrate under minimal load.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW6EIUx9Ui4

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/YpwHciG.mp4

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

He's uh gonna want to get that poo poo off his face asap right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Shouldn't he be washing that off asap, or are just some concretes less caustic than others?

e:fb ^