Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fuckin Deck of Lunacy Mage got me with the equality consecration combo when i was playing Paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AnacondaHL posted:

I actually enjoyed the metagame of killing yourself the fastest in this week's Tavern Brawl combined with the Fire Festival questline.

For Shaman it was just burn spells that could target my own face and draw (especially the murlocs that draw for both players).

For Druid I went with Celestial Alignment turbo self-mill into nothing.

Running into the mirror match in both cases was p funny too; that awkward moment when both of you realize it, and one of you has to switch to aim spells at the other's face. Like that antichess variant where the goal is to get all your pieces killed.

You only need to get to 15 health and then you can concede and still get quest progress.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

What’s the reward and number to aim for ‘feeding’ mini rag?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
quick Q: if I hold on to all those year of the standard packs from the fire festival for another month, they can include cards from the new expansion, right?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The shaman portion of the quest goes by well with wild shudderkrond. It's a pretty beefy midrange deck and can put out some surprisingly high pressure when you curve wailing into custodian into hammer or stormer. Went 8-4 on ladder and the four losses go to secret mage because the matchup seems really really bad. Like you pretty much need to play gala on curve and then heal with kronx shortly after and you rarely have enough room for that between the tempo game and their burn. General strat is to basically mull for a 1-drop (invocation absolutely counts) and you can keep hammer on the coin when you also have a 1-drop. Custodian is usually a solid keep but there are matches where you can't afford to play the hammer on 3. Keeping ice fishing is also an option in some matches since the tempo flip is insane. Especially against aggressive decks but yeah it's just baseline nuts lol

### Shudderkrond
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Invocation of Frost
# 2x (1) Kindling Elemental
# 1x (1) Toxfin
# 2x (1) Wailing Vapor
# 2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
# 2x (2) Devolve
# 1x (2) Firemancer Flurgl
# 1x (2) Ice Fishing
# 2x (3) Arid Stormer
# 2x (3) Primal Dungeoneer
# 2x (3) Serpentshrine Portal
# 2x (3) Whack-A-Gnoll Hammer
# 1x (4) Kazakus, Golem Shaper
# 2x (5) Corrupt Elementalist
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Kronx Dragonhoof
# 1x (7) Galakrond, the Tempest
# 1x (9) Shudderwock
#
AAEBAfe5Agr6DuvCAovOAu/3ArWYA+O0A9PAA/zoA6juA6iKBAr2vQK5rQPQrwPbuAOq3gOr3gPg7APh7AOt7gPj7gMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 7, 2021

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oenis posted:

quick Q: if I hold on to all those year of the standard packs from the fire festival for another month, they can include cards from the new expansion, right?

The packs are last years cards.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

What’s the reward and number to aim for ‘feeding’ mini rag?
I think it's just a sparkle animation for some emotes? I played and won in one try and as far as I can tell it has kept the count from the previous fire festivals since I'm at 200+ mini rag kills lol

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Devo posted:

Anyway here's a Paladin duels deck that's basically free if you have Cariel. If you don't, just swap her for some other big Legendary. Take the Golden Light as your hero power and the Greatsword as your treasure.

###Roost442's Big Paladin
AAEBAZ8FD0aZAsrRA8fhA+PrA5HsA6XvA6iKBKqKBJqfBO2fBJWgBMmgBNagBN2gBAAA

e: If that code doesn't work, I got it from here: https://outof.cards/hearthstone/3254-12-win-top-hearthstone-duels-decks-to-try-from-wailing-caverns

Uh, why selfless sidekick

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Uh, why selfless sidekick

tutors and equips Royal Greatsword

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Someone here made this awhile ago and I have since modified it to my own tastes. It's a lot of fun.

### Rattle'n'roll2.0
# Class: Hunter
#
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Play Dead
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Freezing Trap
# 2x (2) Mad Scientist
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 2x (3) Horde Operative
# 2x (3) Nine Lives
# 2x (3) Ursatron
# 2x (4) Necromechanic
# 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
# 1x (4) Spiritsinger Umbra
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Oblivitron
# 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
#
AAEBAR8EycIC8ZYDj+MDqIoEDYAH9w2czQLw9QLylgO2nAOfpQP7rwOD4gPu8QOpnwTjnwTknwQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Devo posted:

Anyway here's a Paladin duels deck that's basically free if you have Cariel. If you don't, just swap her for some other big Legendary. Take the Golden Light as your hero power and the Greatsword as your treasure.

e: If that code doesn't work, I got it from here: https://outof.cards/hearthstone/3254-12-win-top-hearthstone-duels-decks-to-try-from-wailing-caverns

I'm already tired of seeing this one.

But what I'm really tired of, and have been for a long time, is discs of legend. It's especially egregious now with entire decks being built off getting the treasure. As far as I see it, it's a bullshit treasure should never have stayed in the rotation a la original band of bees.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Duels IS bullshit.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

Duels IS bullshit.

This is the conclusion I came to a few months ago when I sunk a heap of time into Duels. I had some fun and it was interesting for a while, but when you turn the RNG knob up to max on this game it just feels very unsatisfying to play. I don't know what it's like at the moment, but if anyone's curious, TeamAmerica is still regularly streaming and his Discord is the best resource for up-to-date info.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
I dunno in terms of frustrating rng bullshit I think battlegrounds takes the title

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Wouldn't surprise me but I only tried BGs once and bounced off hard. It's just not the kind of game I want to play.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
BGs are very random but I find them far less frustrating because there's nothing at stake.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Nothing at stake, and no waiting on slow players.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

If you want shaman decks for the quest this is the deck I've played the most of any deck in this dumb bad game ever:

### Eureka Shaman
# Class: Shaman
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 1x (1) Devolving Missiles
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (2) Ancestral Spirit
# 2x (2) Devolve
# 2x (3) Far Sight
# 2x (3) Lightning Storm
# 2x (4) Ancestor's Call
# 2x (4) Torrent
# 2x (5) Hagatha's Scheme
# 2x (5) Muckmorpher
# 2x (6) Eureka!
# 2x (8) Walking Fountain
# 2x (9) Runaway Blackwing
# 2x (10) Scrapyard Colossus
# 1x (10) Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound
#
AAEBAZyrBAKoqwLgzAMOlAP5A/UEsgbOD/a9Ap/9Aq2RA4qUA4+UA5O5A/O7A/DUA5TkAwA=
#

It has insane high rolls, and you can play a mediocre control deck til you start slamming threat after threat in the lategame.

Always mulligan for y'shaarj, a muckmorpher, ancestors call and lightning bloom. A single fatty on turn 1/2 just ends most games against anyone but priest.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

Nothing at stake, and no waiting on slow players.

BG is definitely low stakes fiddling around when I'm doing other things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Big Bad Archmage is another fun high-roll card for Big Shaman in Wild.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
For a mode that is "RNG BULLSHIT", it's pretty amazing that skilled players do very well, even when rerolling fresh alts on other regions.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Devo posted:

Hey kids, put some aoe in this or every priest will crush you with their stupid voidfiend card. 4-3 and not going to touch duels again.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Toshimo posted:

For a mode that is "RNG BULLSHIT", it's pretty amazing that skilled players do very well, even when rerolling fresh alts on other regions.

BGs or Duels?

BGs does have strategy, but sometimes you just don't get the minions offered. Much like in regular hearthstone when you don't get the draws you need. Quantity of play sees good decision making win out.
Duels, yeah the same can be said about deck building choices and treasure options etc - but the main thing is the whole premise is to do incredibly broken things, so it's more about it being broken bullshit than rng bullshit. It's what it's there for, but it's more fun building broken bullshit when you're facing AI (because the concept was built off of the dungeon run stuff) because you much rarely get it thrown back at you and you have to suffer. Also the AI doesn't play so slow.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
bgs is great, I just think it understandably has the highest skill floor of any HS mode. there's a lot of information you need to learn to be any good at evaluating the like 600 decisions per game it throws at you.

but ultimately I feel like it's less frustrating from the rng angle than any other HS mode, personally.

pretty sick that you don't have to collect a heap of cards to play it, too.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Duels, yeah the same can be said about deck building choices and treasure options etc - but the main thing is the whole premise is to do incredibly broken things, so it's more about it being broken bullshit than rng bullshit. It's what it's there for, but it's more fun building broken bullshit when you're facing AI (because the concept was built off of the dungeon run stuff) because you much rarely get it thrown back at you and you have to suffer. Also the AI doesn't play so slow.

Not saying the announcement of non-casual Duels having an arena entry fee was a death nail, but it wasn't a great idea for your super-high-variance play mode.

90s Shoes posted:

pretty sick that you don't have to collect a heap of cards to play it, too.

Yeah this as well when it comes to Duels.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
When I started playing the game again last expansion after breaking for years, Duels felt like a great way to knock out quests when I didn't have poo poo for cards. I appreciate that the option's there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I kinda like Duels but I can't imagine the frustration that would come along with paying for it. Even with nothing at stake I can only take so much of the broken stuff people can get away with in that.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
You do use your collection for the initial 16 card deck in duels so it's a mixture.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I play Duels like 95% of the time because ladder gets super samey, BGs isn't my thing, and Blizzard took a steaming gooey dump on my favorite mode, Arena.

The RNG can get wacky but I can still usually pull out 4-5 wins on a bad run. You learn what to play around just like any other mode.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sloppy posted:

I play Duels like 95% of the time because ladder gets super samey, BGs isn't my thing, and Blizzard took a steaming gooey dump on my favorite mode, Arena.

The RNG can get wacky but I can still usually pull out 4-5 wins on a bad run. You learn what to play around just like any other mode.

What's the deal with Arena now? Just coming back to the game after a long hiatus and realized I have like half a dozen free tickets to use up.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What did they do to arena? I played a few runs this expansion and it seems fine to me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
as someone who thinks Standard is way too aggro heavy, Duels is the worst mode in existence

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I like duels sometimes, I can't see taking it seriously but it's dumb fun a lot of time. I really suck at it though.

Just lost my last game thinking I was hot poo poo with 3 Rags and lots of ways to cheat them out, and then I got the "choose a minion and fill your board with 1/1 copies of it" played against me.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nerfs incoming next week

https://twitter.com/GW_Alec/status/1413215381838204928

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I had fun with my duel quest but I had a duel MMR of 0. I feel like if I faced try hards I would have hated it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

My guess is the 2 mana 2/3, renew, and that 1 mana 1/1 that makes copies of itself.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Yes gently caress Renew and Gibberling. Hate those cards.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BGs are very random but I find them far less frustrating because there's nothing at stake.
I think BG not being personal is also a part of its success. Like the other players don't really exist to you as present entities in the way the other player in a HS match does. It's easy to get mad about the lucker on the other side who maybe also emotes at you. But in BG the other players might as well be AIs in a sense because you probably didn't even register their names and its rare to get into a direct competition with another player pre top 4. Making the game less personal also eases the impact of rng bullshit and reduces frustrating moments. Because you're not attributing them to the player on the other side but to the game and the inherent amount of rng. Idk if I get my point across here but I tried

Toshimo posted:

Yeah tbh I think BG isn't as rng heavy as it first appears but people tend to remember outliers like when someone rolled into an early scaling 5 drop and dusted the lobby. There's a lot you can do to try to manage the brunt of the rng but the flipside is that you also need to know about a lot of stuff to make the "correct" choices. I spent some time with watching good players like RDU, Savjz, or Slysssa when I was getting into BG so I picked up the fundamentals easily. But a completely fresh player will probably have a much tougher and more confusing initial experience

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah tbh I think BG isn't as rng heavy as it first appears but people tend to remember outliers like when someone rolled into an early scaling 5 drop and dusted the lobby. There's a lot you can do to try to manage the brunt of the rng but the flipside is that you also need to know about a lot of stuff to make the "correct" choices. I spent some time with watching good players like RDU, Savjz, or Slysssa when I was getting into BG so I picked up the fundamentals easily. But a completely fresh player will probably have a much tougher and more confusing initial experience

I mean, that's true to a certain extent, but in reality, if you run headlong into any established competitive activity and expect to immediately start winning, despite doing no research and having no grasp of the game, that's on you. I'm fairly certain I know 0 things about rugby and if me and my buddies got together and formed a rugby team, we'd get steamrolled every game, even against literal children. Why would I expect any other competitive activity to be different? The barrier for entry is virtually non-existent and there's literally infinite content to consume on how to improve and succeed, so if you're the type throwing a temper tantrum because "I GET RNG'ED EVERY TIME", then it's a YOU problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

One of my big problems with the dark moon prizes in BG is that I get wrecked due to have no experience but I can't tell which prizes my opponent took to learn what worked.