Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Edit: wrong thread

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I have a Zoom interview tomorrow for the job I've basically been doing for 3 months already, but I'm still worried sick. Interviews are terrible.

Ass-penny

Achtane posted:

I have a Zoom interview tomorrow for the job I've basically been doing for 3 months already, but I'm still worried sick. Interviews are terrible.

Good luck!

EFN 'grats on the weight loss!

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

Good luck!

EFN 'grats on the weight loss!

Thanks! I still have a ways to go. I definitely put on a little bit when my collarbone was broken!

Today was pretty easy at least. I just tagged, it did take a little longer than I should have probably, also our system isn't great for it, but the owner's wife labeled all the bottles I needed to bottle so now I really don't have anything to do so I'm sitting around cleaning things very slowly. I still have work tomorrow, there's really no point in me coming in, but that's the schedule...

Escape From Noise

I have nothing to really do so I have my laptop out to make it look like I'm working hard. I also have my e-mail tab in case someone investigates. I'd just leave early but I've done that a few times already this week and the owner and restaurant manager are here. Plust it's like only 16:30, so that's a bit early. I may try at like 17:00.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Ass-penny

There's nothing to do for real? Most companies I have worked at send people home instead of paying them when the cleaning list gets thin. I can't believe they would scold you to try and not get paid for hanging out trying to look busy.
I do understand that there's a wide berth of cultural differences but a small business saving money makes sense and I'm not good at being a capitalist.

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

There's nothing to do for real? Most companies I have worked at send people home instead of paying them when the cleaning list gets thin. I can't believe they would scold you to try and not get paid for hanging out trying to look busy.
I do understand that there's a wide berth of cultural differences but a small business saving money makes sense and I'm not good at being a capitalist.

Well he doesn't pay overtime so...

Finger Prince

Having a little space heater blasting on you all morning is pretty cozy, but kinda desiccating. I think I'll make another coffee, that's sure to help. I need to buy a thermometer for my desk because I swear the AC gets down to like 12 degrees in here in the mornings. It's July and I'm wearing a sweater and running a space heater most of the day.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have 900+ unread emails and I have never wanted so badly to delete them from the server, put my computer in the trash and drive over a cliff.

Instead I will be answering these emails with "haha that's crazy anyway nobody has soap good luck"

Escape From Noise

I'm really looking forward leaving all seven Line groups I'm in for this job. It's insane.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

I have 900+ unread emails and I have never wanted so badly to delete them from the server, put my computer in the trash and drive over a cliff.

Instead I will be answering these emails with "haha that's crazy anyway nobody has soap good luck"

:stonklol:

It's pretty much all just canned reports that are probably important to someone but mostly just take up server space.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

It's pretty much all just canned reports that are probably important to someone but mostly just take up server space.

Jesus Christ you win bad email day.

I turned off all canned reports and have lots of stuff auto file. This is all unique threaded emails and I'm loving pissed, honestly.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm really looking forward leaving all seven Line groups I'm in for this job. It's insane.

What the gently caress that's too many social media groups, run away

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

What the gently caress that's too many social media groups, run away

It was definitely an early warning sign.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

Jesus Christ you win bad email day.

I turned off all canned reports and have lots of stuff auto file. This is all unique threaded emails and I'm loving pissed, honestly.

Yeah that's just accrued trash really. Every few months I go in and archive or delete everything. Since the pandemic though, there have been vast and sweeping changes requiring me to delete all my dozens of email rules and subfolders and start again, and it's a lot simpler now. My old job was insane with the amount of email, but now it's manageable.

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

https://www.askamanager.org/2019/09/my-boss-has-10000-unread-emails.html

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Select all - delete all

Hey I'm officially gonna be a cemetery manager in 2 weeks yay
My boss said, "welcome to hell"

cruft

Achtane posted:

Select all - delete all

Hey I'm officially gonna be a cemetery manager in 2 weeks yay
My boss said, "welcome to hell"

Glad I cremated my mom, don't want her body resting in hell! :dumbrim:

PS: CONGRATULATIONS

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 6, 2021

cruft

Okay Achtane I have a professional question I've been meaning to ask you. Mom died in April and wanted me to handle everything, I guess because my take on things was about like hers. And my take is: she's a memory now, whatever.

Are future generations going to want to find a plaque or something? The local cemetery can fix me up for like $120 or something ridiculously cheap. Dad is way more emotional about all this and won't tell me what he wants, but maybe having a plaque will help him somehow? Give him a place to visit and someone to yell at later about moving it?

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Thanks friends!

cruft posted:

Okay Achtane I have a professional question I've been meaning to ask you. Mom died in April and wanted me to handle everything, I guess because my take on things was about like hers. And my take is: she's a memory now, whatever.

Are future generations going to want to find a plaque or something? The local cemetery can fix me up for like $120 or something ridiculously cheap. Dad is way more emotional about all this and won't tell me what he wants, but maybe having a plaque will help him somehow? Give him a place to visit and someone to yell at later about moving it?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that, firstly. I'm of the same viewpoint on that stuff. Personally, you can throw me into the woods or whatever, it'll be fine. There are lots of alternative ways to celebrate a person's life, and for cremains there are all kinds of fancy things they can be made into.

Most families that come to us are interested in getting a headstone/plaque/marker. I guess it brings them some comfort to be able to come visit something definite, but it's absolutely a personal choice and not a requirement. There are a ton of unmarked graves all over the place. I just led a dude out to his wife's today. Even without a physical marker, the cemetery staff should be able to show you the person's resting place without much issue.

If the cemetery is quoting you $125 that is cheap for a stone installed. We're a city-run cemetery, so we don't actually sell or install anything besides the plots (and the cost of opening/closing the grave)...I can't really tell you what they actually cost cause I dunno. I'm sure it's not cheap. People here have to go through a monument company for that. We do pour the concrete foundations for them, and the smallest foundation possible is still nearly $300.

The funeral homes here supply a temporary marker for the decedent; it's a plate listing the person's basic info that either presses into the ground or sits up on a stake. By "temporary", count on it getting bent or straight blown up by the mowing crew eventually, or it will otherwise be grown over or disintegrated given enough time. They will sell you replacement ones at a crazy markup but it's literally a piece of sheet metal that costs $25 from the manufacturer. Same with the burial vaults/liners if that's used where you live. They're sold at an insane markup.

If you are interested in getting a stone, the only point I'll really stress is do not get one from Amazon or something like that. It's gonna be a piece of poo poo, it'll be a weird looking size, the inscription is gonna be janky, it's gonna break quickly and you won't get a refund. Like everything else, you can even get cheap Chinese headstones. Just make sure it's legit first. And make sure that if it's "aftermarket" it's something the cemetery will agree to have installed, because that's a whole other nightmare you're going to lose on.

So, get one if you think that it will bring some peace, but don't be pressured into getting one because it's not a requirement and there are no time constraints. Unless your cemetery is super weird I guess.

cruft

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I'll just skip it, then.

In work related news, I'm on vacation, and I want you to know I am living in the hell up in y'all's honor. I've got 2 weeks of not thinking about work at all, feels pretty good.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I'll just skip it, then.

In work related news, I'm on vacation, and I want you to know I am living in the hell up in y'all's honor. I've got 2 weeks of not thinking about work at all, feels pretty good.

Enjoy it! I hope you don't look at your work email at all!

I told my boss I needed my two weeks in September and he grumbled so I put it on the calendar. I don't make court dates in California, buddy.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Enjoy it! I hope you don't look at your work email at all!

I told my boss I needed my two weeks in September and he grumbled so I put it on the calendar. I don't make court dates in California, buddy.

I left my work laptop at home. Needed to long in today to check on the class I left in someone else's hands, but I can't because I don't have a smart card reader. Oh well!

selan dyin

currently playing geometry dash until the phone rings or my boss slacks me

Escape From Noise

This morning I just handed my co-worker a 10,000 yen note. I didn't know what else to do. He's gotten so shafted by our boss. After I got hired I asked what my job actually was and after an hour-long meeting and some charts (I'm actually not kidding) the result was I was in charge of the brewery all of a sudden the upshot was my co-worker who had been in charge of the brewery then lost the slight amount of extra pay he got for being in charge of the brewery. Like the equivalent of 50 USD, when his pay is already pretty poor and he has to make rent and buy groceries, that could be a huge difference. I was trying to think of what to do, because while I'm in charge in name, every time I have any kind of question about how things are run or any other thing like that they just tell me to contact him sometimes on his days off. I guess I would say I probably know more about Brewing technically, but he knows more about how things are run here and still makes most of the decisions about how things are done. So he still has all of the responsibility but now none of the bonuses, and I keep having to go to him for information. He's even come in early, or on days off in order to help me out with certain things. I kept buying him like beers and stuff, but what's fancy booze when you need to make rent and buy groceries,right? I was worried that it would be kind of awkward but, I don't know it just seems like the right thing to do. I think it went okay though. I think he understands where I'm coming from.

This place is such a dumpster fire and I really really hope that he gets the job that he applied for.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 7, 2021

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

I left my work laptop at home. Needed to long in today to check on the class I left in someone else's hands, but I can't because I don't have a smart card reader. Oh well!

I took the weekend to not read my emails and despite spending time with my family, I felt pretty okay for a few days. Highly recommended, congratulations on self care.

My work strategy tomorrow is laying out time management first thing and building in cushion for surprise tasks. Maybe I'll get some shave ice babies as a treat after work if I do well with at least half the day. I'm drowning because I have zero help even with heavy delegation, and I'm doing my level best to set as much success from my end in motion to show that we definitely need another me or two in the office, or at least I need someone to split off sales duties with, because it's a shitshow.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Using the baby as an excuse to work from home today. Really oversold how much her coughing kept me up last night and how tired I am as a result. Now she's at daycare, I'm still in my pajamas and I don't even have to deal with chills or aches to justify staying home.
Now I just have to send a few conspicuous emails and the rest of the day is wide open! My department is so slow right now I'd just be killing time playing minesweeper and listening to podcasts if I went into the office.

Escape From Noise

The loving manager asked my coworker why I can't do anything on my own. Maybe because you always go through him instead of directly communicating anything in advance? Maybe because every time I ask for information or clarification you just tell me to ask him? Maybe because he's been here three loving years and understands what you actually mean by your insane bullshit requests?

:fuckoff:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Just a couple more weeks. I promise you. This is coming to a close.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Just a couple more weeks. I promise you. This is coming to a close.

I know. Today was just bullshit. Like, even more than normal.

Also really hoping my coworker finds a good job. He's had to put up with so much poo poo. Dude deserves so much better.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

I know. Today was just bullshit. Like, even more than normal.

Also really hoping my coworker finds a good job. He's had to put up with so much poo poo. Dude deserves so much better.

I hope the owner ends up trying to brew beer and gets actually factually physically in person laughed out of the industry.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

I hope the owner ends up trying to brew beer and gets actually factually physically in person laughed out of the industry.

I think that's probably already happening behind his back. This place is beyond a joke. My coworker got scolded for having low bottling yields because he tossed the first liter with yeast and stuff.

Escape From Noise

Today I did nothing but bottle from kegs. It was hell.

Escape From Noise

Seriously though this job is so awful. loving poo poo. I guess it's not the worst job I've ever had but my god it's up there.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hang in there EFN!
gently caress management!

Escape From Noise

Achtane posted:

Hang in there EFN!
gently caress management!

Less than a month!

God! This schedule!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm about to lose my poo poo.

We don't have Expensive Granola Crunchy Soap. Nobody on the loving planet has it. In fact, nobody has conditioner! At all! GOOD loving LUCK SELLING THINGS BTW EVERYONE TOLD YOU loving SO

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

We don't have Expensive Granola Crunchy Soap. Nobody on the loving planet has it. In fact, nobody has conditioner! At all! GOOD loving LUCK SELLING THINGS BTW EVERYONE TOLD YOU loving SO

Hot take: in a pinch (like this), something that probably exfoliates as well as oatmeal soap is sodium hydroxide.

cruft

We went to the little coffee stand in our San Diego hotel to get a smoothie and they said they were out of smoothie stuff. That's when my kid said she figured this is a preview of what adult life will be like for her with 2° global temperature rise, and not for the first time I wondered if it was responsible for us to have a child.

Who knows, though, maybe she'll figure out how to get genetically engineered pollenating insects up to Mars so we can grow wheat inside a biosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

It's so maddening to just not be listened to. I hope you're having luck on the alternate job front, or at least getting some cool down time, because that poo poo sounds beyond stressful

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 11, 2021