Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The problem with the Olympics and most sports, pro and amateur, is that they are a giant leech on taxpayers while providing no tangible benefit to anyone other than the already insanely rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

McNally posted:

Wouldn't throwing in a rando off the street make the people who think they'd do as well as the worst competitor correct?

The rando isn’t really “competing” though. Like he or she has no chance of winning. Maybe spectators can pretend they’d fare better if they got pulled off the street but it’d serve to illustrate how much better even the objectively “bad” athletes are than us.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A Bad Poster posted:

Isn't this basically Eddie the Eagle?

I had to look him up.

Not like him. More like trying to get my overweight rear end to do the high jump. I want to see completely average people attempt to compete with the pros. He knew how to put skis on. I would have to google what ski boots look like.

He is kinda cool though.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

boop the snoot posted:

Curling is legitimately the only Olympic sport I look forward to. I don’t pay attention to who is winning though, I just tune in to watch the epic broomsmanship.

Would you happen to have been an NCO earlier on? Because that sounds very NCO.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

Curling is legitimately the only Olympic sport I look forward to. I don’t pay attention to who is winning though, I just tune in to watch the epic broomsmanship.

I've added olympic archery to my list of olympic sports I will spend effort to watch. So the list is archery and curling.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The problem with the Olympics and most sports, pro and amateur, is that they are a giant leech on taxpayers while providing no tangible benefit to anyone other than the already insanely rich.

Do you also hate the national endowment of the arts?

As a society, we absolutely should support Olympic athletes. We should, as a society support anyone who is one of the top people of their craft, whether it be music, art or some physical activity.

I get that the rich profit from the Olympics, that needs to change, but we should support the athletes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Is curling the only olympic sport that isn't about being the strongest or fastest at something?

Its fun btw, everyone should see if theres a place near you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eej posted:

Related note: one year anniversary of the trans lady who wrote the I Sexually Identify As An Attack Helicopter who got canceled by erstwhile allies who didn't even read the short before calling her phobic to the point where she quit writing

drat. That’s horrible.

I read the story and heard some of the criticism, but did not know what happened to the author.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Is curling the only olympic sport that isn't about being the strongest or fastest at something?

Its fun btw, everyone should see if theres a place near you.

:checks:

Archery, Golf, Equestrian stuff and shooting.

I would also lump modern point fighting karate in there as well.

edit: Oh there's a kata portion for Karate, so definitely that at the very least.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

:checks:

Archery, Golf, Equestrian stuff and shooting.

I would also lump modern point fighting karate in there as well.

I completely forgot archery/shooting existed without triathlon/etc. Golf isn't quite the same as curling, its difficult to put too much distance on a tee off but its trivial to put too much power behind a stone or heat up the ice too much.

I was thinking too much about "fastest" for the other events. Being fast with decisions and sweeping in curling is as much speed I guess.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Eej posted:

Related note: one year anniversary of the trans lady who wrote the I Sexually Identify As An Attack Helicopter who got canceled by erstwhile allies who didn't even read the short before calling her phobic to the point where she quit writing

lol ok, that's unfortunate and I'm a little sorry for my joke for their sake. That said, plenty of bigots have taken this trans lady's joke and run with it for themselves, like frat boys doing Chapelle skits. I wasn't even aware of the original story, just of chuds going har har well I identify as an attack helicopter in response to news about actual transgendered humans. I have to admit I've never been that strong or useful of an ally.

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

US Berder Patrol posted:

lol ok, that's unfortunate and I'm a little sorry for my joke for their sake. That said, plenty of bigots have taken this trans lady's joke and run with it for themselves, like frat boys doing Chapelle skits

You have events reversed here.

The “joke” greatly predates the story. The story was an attempt to play on the joke in an interesting and subversive way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

ASAPI posted:

As a society, we absolutely should support Olympic athletes. We should, as a society support anyone who is one of the top people of their craft, whether it be music, art or some physical activity.

I get that the rich profit from the Olympics, that needs to change, but we should support the athletes.

$26 billion plus for the Tokyo Olympics

gently caress this poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

$26 billion plus for the Tokyo Olympics

gently caress this poo poo.

And almost none of that goes to the athletes. I'm not sure I understand the discussion: The Olympics are neat and cool, but they exploit the crap out of the very people who make the Olympics happen.

Not worth it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's going to be the most uncomfortable North Korea-like poo poo ever to watch a spectator-less Opening and Closing Ceremony.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Platystemon posted:

You have events reversed here.

The “joke” greatly predates the story. The story was an attempt to play on the joke in an interesting and subversive way.

ah

I still feel kind of bad for making this joke when someone who actually has a dog in the fight got brigaded by "allies" anyway everybody can move on and talk about other news I guess

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t give a poo poo about sports but I do like watching a lot of Olympic events. Maybe because nobody I know gets homicidally tribal over gymnastics.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Original draft of this post was about how professional sport is a way for people to engage in tribalism without being distracted by consistency in logic or falling prey to the traditonal tribes people form (race, religion, ethnicity, or other affiliations less flexible than 'favorite team'). Edit: is this good because people exhaust this animus or bad because it normalizes otherization and bad faith arguments?

Toned that down a bit because 26 billion is basically no cost if routine international awareness events help keep the peace or helps make their audiences more wordly.

On the other hand, $26 billion is just the cost of the event; don't forget the cost of each country maintaining athletes and their support cadre.

I guess I'm torn on the Olympics and find it harder to hate the rest of pro sports.

piL fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 8, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

piL posted:

On the other hand, $26 billion is just the cost of the event; don't forget the cost of each country maintaining athletes and their support cadre.

I guess I'm torn on the Olympics and find it garder to hate the rest of pro sports.

Most of them pay for the training themselves. The US Olympic committee does have a program now that links them with possible jobs with Olympic sponsors, but most of them are holding down normal jobs to cover their needs + their Olympic training.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

US Berder Patrol posted:

ah

I still feel kind of bad for making this joke when someone who actually has a dog in the fight got brigaded by "allies" anyway everybody can move on and talk about other news I guess

I don't think it's bad at all because it opens up a conversation about how phrases and memes can be both coopted or taken back. The author basically saw the phobic meme and decided to write a short story taking it literally and using it as a metaphor for dysphoria. The concept of the story is basically that the US army neurologically reassigns your gender into helicopter so that warfare becomes part of your gender identity. Flying and shooting at combatants becomes as normal as wearing a skirt used to be and the main character reflects on her previous identity as a woman and how it conflicts with what she is now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I have bad memories of the olympics.

I wanted to see judo, but my parents took my little brother to judo and my aunt took me to see mens gymnastics.

Then some rear end in a top hat tried to blow my older brother up because abortion or some poo poo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

And meanwhile, it turns out that the old, hyper-creepy, hyper-online Cat Person story from a few years ago also involved some weird, creepy borderline-stalking from the author too. Yiiiiiiikes.

Original "story": https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/11/cat-person

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1413071752373186562?s=19

Both of these were profoundly unsettling reads. I remember reading the original piece in the New Yorker and thought it was just kind of weird and gross, and re-reading it today in conjunction with that Slate piece underscored that. Just skin crawling vibes all around.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
so now that we've left Afghanistan who runs the KAF poo lake

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Who will run the burn pits? Who?!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

Most of them pay for the training themselves. The US Olympic committee does have a program now that links them with possible jobs with Olympic sponsors, but most of them are holding down normal jobs to cover their needs + their Olympic training.

I was thinking in a more nebulous lost productivity idea, not costs to my government (since $26B of Japanese money is also a nebulous remote expenditure to me since I'm not a Japanese tax payer), but I struck it because you're still right. It's not like they'd necessarily be farming or doctoring or helping people 100% of those hours instead and there's a lot of wasted or even harmful societal effort to get through before criticizing people for spending their spare time jumping.

The cost expended to maintain teams of coaches and assistants and sports therapists and managers and refs and maintainers and ticketeers and security and equipment required for the average MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL/FIFA team is probably an order of magnitude greater than that of US Olympic shot put team.

piL fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 8, 2021

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

PookBear posted:

come and take it

Rad-daddio posted:

TBF, this is how they recruit for their military

dun-dun--dundun-dunnnnn-dun

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Stultus Maximus posted:

There are things which in isolation I would enjoy but are rooted in such evil, greed, and corruption it ruins the experience. Most sports, for example.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1399449427358752778
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1399450220342263808

This needs to be sped up. I don't think they can wait for August.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1413178759188987908

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

golden bubble posted:

This needs to be sped up. I don't think they can wait for August.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1413178759188987908

Didn't they already start looting Bagram?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Didn't they already start looting Bagram?

Looters were there like an hour later because we dipped out without telling anyone so our final departures weren't shot at on the way out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

It closed years ago. Area Fifty-Poo has been stormed, the lifeguard is no longer on dooty, and the brown trout have been overfished :dadjoke:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Beach volleyball is loving blessed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I refuse to believe that the poo pond was wiped off the face of the earth.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The owners, organizers, and commissioners of sports are all management. The athletes, players, and line-level staff are labor. More validity to the facialimpediment Law of Labor-Management Relations: gently caress Management.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PookBear posted:

come and take it

Like being assassinated by a woman wearing a shirt that says LOL

The horror
The horror

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Wasabi the J posted:

Beach volleyball is loving blessed.

I personally like watching vanilla olympic women's volleyball. Big legged women in short shorts are a very nice bonus, but honestly it's just a fun sport to watch that most people know the rules to.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Every time I think of some awful corrupt sports deal involving European hereditary money and world dictators I have to check whether it was IOC, FIFA, or F1A.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

drat. That’s horrible.

I read the story and heard some of the criticism, but did not know what happened to the author.

I didn't check if the story has become accessible again since the nomination. But here's a backup:

https://archive.is/oXDEt

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Relax! We have plans in place to evacuate everyone!*"

* after giving the Taliban plenty of time to murder them.

:smith:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

wait do you think the olympics is an endowment of athletics and sports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

US Berder Patrol posted:

I personally like watching vanilla olympic women's volleyball. Big legged women in short shorts are a very nice bonus, but honestly it's just a fun sport to watch that most people know the rules to.

The only two sports I saw in the '96 Olympics live were men's soccer matches in Birmingham, and the women's beach volleyball (first time it was an Olympic sport). Yeah, that was nice.