Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Anyone encounter this bug on latest Big Sur?

I have a M1 MBA, and since latest update after some point post-reboot I can't play any media - Youtube in Chrome or Safari starts to load but just spins eternally, same with Youtube TV, Overcast Catalyst app, VLC, you name it - nothing will play.

Works fine after a reboot for a while, then it just stops. Not noticed this before. Anyone seen/have a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cozmosis posted:

I have a M1 MBA, and since latest update after some point post-reboot I can't play any media - Youtube in Chrome or Safari starts to load but just spins eternally, same with Youtube TV, Overcast Catalyst app, VLC, you name it - nothing will play.

Works fine after a reboot for a while, then it just stops. Not noticed this before. Anyone seen/have a fix?

What’s your network like? Do you have any proxies or dns blockers or anything?

Have you tested this outside your home? If so then a network settings reset may do it. And resetting PRAM and SMC or whatever M1s have might resolve this.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

tuyop posted:

What’s your network like? Do you have any proxies or dns blockers or anything?

Have you tested this outside your home? If so then a network settings reset may do it. And resetting PRAM and SMC or whatever M1s have might resolve this.

No - but this happens on local files too. It locks up apps when trying to play.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cozmosis posted:

No - but this happens on local files too. It locks up apps when trying to play.

Yeah definitely give safe mode a try and see if the error is reproduced.

Also just found out M1s don’t really have PRAM or SMC stuff in the old way! Wow!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I get exactly the same thing randomly on my 2019 MBP if I let it lock/sleep and come back to it. Happens a couple of times a week. A paused youtube video won't resume, VLC won't play local media etc. Only way to fix it is a reboot. I've not worked out what triggers it yet.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

I found a thread on Macrumors with the exact issue on another M1 machine but no idea on cause or fix.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Quick question.

My wife updated her Macbook Air to Big Sur today and something went weird.

It installed, and reset with an error saying something wrong happened.

When it boots up now, its got the Mohave boot screen and she can login and it accepts her password. It looks like then it goes into Big Sur and wants us to go through the installation process as if it was a fresh install, but wont respond to andy keypresses, only mouse cursor and even then everything is super laggy.

Boots into recovery fine, disk health was good.

No backups so ideally if this is wanting us to do a fresh install, im probably gonna fly out in the morning and just buy a new laptop as this one is a little worse for wear and if thats the case, what are my chances of pulling stuff off this old Air?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Puddin posted:

Quick question.

My wife updated her Macbook Air to Big Sur today and something went weird.

It installed, and reset with an error saying something wrong happened.

When it boots up now, its got the Mohave boot screen and she can login and it accepts her password. It looks like then it goes into Big Sur and wants us to go through the installation process as if it was a fresh install, but wont respond to andy keypresses, only mouse cursor and even then everything is super laggy.

Boots into recovery fine, disk health was good.

No backups so ideally if this is wanting us to do a fresh install, im probably gonna fly out in the morning and just buy a new laptop as this one is a little worse for wear and if thats the case, what are my chances of pulling stuff off this old Air?
If you can boot into the recovery partition you can probably just reinstall it again over the top. It will hopefully complete the second time and shouldn't wipe out your data unless you explicitly erase the drive first.

If you don't want to reinstall again (or it doesn't work) you can always plug an external drive into it while it's in recovery mode and just use rsync from Terminal (should be in the Utilities menu) to copy all the contents off the disk onto the external. If the internal disk is encrypted with FileVault you'll need to go into Disk Utility in the main recovery menu and manually mount it so it asks for a password to decrypt it first.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Cheers.

She's decided that she wants a new one anyway, so I'll probably just go through the motions of pulling everything off the drive after the fact and factory resetting the old on for emergencies.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

tuyop posted:

Also just found out M1s don’t really have PRAM or SMC stuff in the old way! Wow!

The firmware and boot process is quite a departure from Intel Macs, and even from PowerPC Macs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

tuyop posted:

Yeah, that's because Apple doesn't have to set up M1s with EFI/UEFI anymore, esp. since it's not an Intel chip. Also part of the reason there's an entirely different set of startup key procedures..

On one hand, booting is much faster than on an Intel, and much more secure, but the flip side is that due to the way Apple set things up, if your internal SSD becomes defective, your entire machine becomes a useless pile of junk™, because even to boot from an external drive, something from the internal SSD has to be loaded in order to allow it.

And Target Disk Mode can't be accessed if the internal SSD fails, either.

Don't ask me how I know..

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I HATE BLUETOOTH

anyone know of any terminal commands that will stop bluetooth autoplay? for example when I turn on my receiver, it automatically starts playing the current file if soundcloud is open.

the option in the link below only works as long as my receiver stays in bluetooth mode, if I switch it to something else or turn it off, the issue comes back when I put it on bluetooth again

code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist DontPageAudioDevices 1
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/159548/prevent-auto-pairing-for-certain-devices-bluetooth

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
In the last couple/few weeks, I've noticed that when I open my MacBook Pro (running Big Sur) that the screen doesn't automatically come on like it used to. Is this is a setting that I may have inadvertently disabled?

It used to be that I'd open the clamshell and the screen would immediately come on and prompt me for my password, now I have to press the power button to get things going (it hasn't powered all the way off; when I press the power button, it just wakes from sleep and prompts for my password immediately).

The only other thing I can think of is that somehow the sensor that detects when the lid is open is broken, but my laptop basically doesn't move except from my office to my living room and back and I am extremely careful with it, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Depending on the model/year of rMBP which you have thoughtfully omitted, it's usually a Hall effect sensor that's responsible for switching your LCD on/off.

If you hold a strong magnet near the left side of your 2013-2015 year rMBP, your screen should shut off / act like you closed the lid. Take it away, and your screen awakens.

Is there a strong magnetic source near the left side of your laptop that's perhaps causing the sleep to take effect / prevent wakeup? Like a speaker or something?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

On one hand, booting is much faster than on an Intel, and much more secure, but the flip side is that due to the way Apple set things up, if your internal SSD becomes defective, your entire machine becomes a useless pile of junk™, because even to boot from an external drive, something from the internal SSD has to be loaded in order to allow it.

The way they set this all up, I don't think they've cut themselves off from ever being able to support external boot without a functional internal SSD. Even today's AS Macs should be able to do it, if Apple chooses to upgrade certain firmware components.

It's just a question of whether Apple thinks the tradeoff of decreasing the security of their bootloader chain is worth the benefit of not requiring a functional internal SSD to boot.

Also, assuming an internal SSD dies because a flash chip went bad, it should be possible to do component level repair to swap the defective flash chip out for a good one, then use Apple Configurator 2 on another Mac to reformat the problem Mac's internal SSD. I have no idea whether anyone will ever offer that as a commercial service, but it's not out of the question, and the price of some Macs may make that (and SSD size upgrades by swapping in larger chips) economically viable.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a way to compare directories that accounts for file moves? Diff just treats them as the files not existing in the target directory.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Depending on the model/year of rMBP which you have thoughtfully omitted, it's usually a Hall effect sensor that's responsible for switching your LCD on/off.

If you hold a strong magnet near the left side of your 2013-2015 year rMBP, your screen should shut off / act like you closed the lid. Take it away, and your screen awakens.

Is there a strong magnetic source near the left side of your laptop that's perhaps causing the sleep to take effect / prevent wakeup? Like a speaker or something?
No, and this even happens when it's on my lap on the couch, which makes it seem even weirder. And apologies, I didn't mean to omit the year, just wasn't thinking; it's a 2020.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cozmosis posted:

I kinda have this, but on Intel. The page will load, video will spin. Usually reload or three will get it flying. Might not be the same, but another Catalina machine does not appear to have this problem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nexxai posted:

No, and this even happens when it's on my lap on the couch, which makes it seem even weirder. And apologies, I didn't mean to omit the year, just wasn't thinking; it's a 2020.

Might want to take it to the Fruit Stand after trying a PRAM and an SMC reset to see if that helps; if it doesn't then deffo go get it checked out..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Monterey beta 2 is out, supposedly fixes a lot of issues.

It still doesn't allow the rMBP to output YouTube audio to my HomePod, though (when booted off Catalina, that feature works...)

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

I kinda have this, but on Intel. The page will load, video will spin. Usually reload or three will get it flying. Might not be the same, but another Catalina machine does not appear to have this problem.

Similar but not quite the same. I can’t get it to be fixed with reload, only a reboot.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’ve had the media playback failure thing happen once on my m1 air, and a reboot fixed it. It’s kind of an infuriating bug because I rebooted my router and NAS before I realized the problem was with the laptop

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Having tried it out the Monterey beta for a day: The combined title bar/tab bar in Safari 15 is stupid and bad, and whoever decided to actually put it into production shouldn't be allowed to work on desktop UIs.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Oh, and I came across what seems like a good standalone replacement for HyperDock's hover functionality.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Time Machine poo poo itself and I have to reformat my TM drive, but for some reason, I can't make a new HFS+ encrypted volume in Disk Utility under Big Sur. Googling around and this seems to be a deliberate choice by Apple, which is extremely dumb since AFAIK, APFS is inappropriate for platter drives. Is there any way around this?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Anyone here have recommendations for 3rd party window managers? I just picked up a new ultra wide monitor and all I'm really looking for is window snapping and remembering spaces/split windows between multiple monitors and just the laptop monitor. Having to resize/move all my spaces around just because I plugged in a monitor is annoying.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

All I know is that my new APFS-formatted Time Machine backup is a hell of a lot faster than the old one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Time Machine poo poo itself and I have to reformat my TM drive, but for some reason, I can't make a new HFS+ encrypted volume in Disk Utility under Big Sur. Googling around and this seems to be a deliberate choice by Apple, which is extremely dumb since AFAIK, APFS is inappropriate for platter drives. Is there any way around this?

Wouldn't say it's inappropriate for platter drives inasmuch as it's more platter drives don't respond as fast as SSDs. Works, but you won't boot as fast.

I did a test myself on a borrowed 2019 Air and found out that for initial backups to an old 7200 1 TB platter drive, it's more or less the same, but incremental backups are much faster under APFS, especially with encryption. Suspect it's the T2 helping out, on a 2015 machine or older I dunno

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

spaced ninja posted:

Anyone here have recommendations for 3rd party window managers? I just picked up a new ultra wide monitor and all I'm really looking for is window snapping and remembering spaces/split windows between multiple monitors and just the laptop monitor. Having to resize/move all my spaces around just because I plugged in a monitor is annoying.
There's billions of them and a lot seem fine. I use Moom, and I guess BetterTouchTool to an extent. Latter I use for just some tap/click mapping on my trackpad, but has window stuff on its own too. I only use the drag/resize from anywhere feature part of it though, with Moom for the usual window management stuff.

Last Chance posted:

All I know is that my new APFS-formatted Time Machine backup is a hell of a lot faster than the old one.
Yeah APFS is technically perhaps slower/less efficient for platters iirc, but for Time Machine specifically I'd still go with it for the benefits of actually being meant for TM type usage (which is probably where the speed increase is), vs all the stuff they had to do for HFS+ to get it working on there way back.

There's this Bombich article on it in regards to Carbon Copy Cloner at least:
https://bombich.com/blog/2019/09/12/analysis-apfs-enumeration-performance-on-rotational-hard-drives

quote:

Does this mean I should avoid using APFS on my HDDs?
No, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. APFS has loads of really nice features, like snapshots and volume space sharing. Managing volumes within an APFS container is a dream compared to the older method of preallocating space to specific partitions. It's important to understand why we might expect to see performance differences between the two filesystems and when that might impact your use of the filesystem, but this one performance aspect on its own isn't enough reason to avoid it.

quote:

Update March 30, 2020: Perhaps this is exacerbated by changes in macOS Catalina, but we have found that APFS performance on the slower 5400RPM HDDs to be unacceptably poor. Stall analysis indicates that APFS gets bogged down when renaming files, especially in folders with many other files. We do not recommend using APFS on the slower 2.5" "slim" HDDs.
Wonder if there's been more changes since then.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anybody familiar with the Roblox game? Some 8 year old kid on Kijiji wants to know “how many FPS” the 2012 2.9ghz 21.5” iMac I’m selling can do. Upon further questioning, he is referring to the Roblox game, which looks insanely stupid and not very hardware intensive. Can a lovely old iMac manage it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He’s just gonna massively low ball you and be a pain in the rear end asking more and more pointless questions.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I don't think this is worth a full post in Haus of Tech Support, but tell me if it belongs there instead.

I bought a new Mac Mini. The old Mac Mini had no problems with pulling my iMessages through immediately, but this new one only gets them about a day later, sometimes not at all.

I've followed the advice of all of the SEO-bait posts on the internet about this: sign out on both my iPhone and Mac, and sign back in, etc. But messages still aren't coming through immediately.

Anyone got any off-the-beaten-path advice that might work? Or have a link to a guide to fix this that doesn't just exist to show up on the front page of search results?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Thats really something that should "just work", if you haven't put a ton of stuff on it yet you can try reinstalling.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

ahobday posted:

I've followed the advice of all of the SEO-bait posts on the internet about this: sign out on both my iPhone and Mac, and sign back in, etc. But messages still aren't coming through immediately.

Anyone got any off-the-beaten-path advice that might work? Or have a link to a guide to fix this that doesn't just exist to show up on the front page of search results?

I think people have posted about this issue before and the fix was to sign out on ALL devices and stay signed out for multiple hours. Less than one hour wasn’t enough.

Worth a shot? I remember it because it’s loving ridiculous lol

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

commie kong posted:

I think people have posted about this issue before and the fix was to sign out on ALL devices and stay signed out for multiple hours. Less than one hour wasn’t enough.

I'll give this a try - thanks.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

commie kong posted:

I had to do this - not sure if it was sign out for *hours* but definitely had to sign out of everything.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So anything iCloud related on my 2012 Mac Mini on Catalina has seemed to stop syncing/updating. Any attempts to disable iCloud options just results in a spinning wheel. Any ideas, or am I just on the edge of unsupported hardware and should abandon this old thing?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

commie kong posted:

Yeah I posted about this earlier in the thread.

I had similar issues and left ALL of my devices (iPhone, MacBook, and an iPad at the time) logged out overnight and then re-signed in on all devices in the morning. I'm assuming there's some weird caching thing that's happening behind the scenes which needs a lot of time to invalidate itself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

is there a way to make messages' green bubbles more legible? My monitor is setup fine, but these green bubbles are nuclear green + white. iMesssages look fine, but I cannot convince everyone i talk to to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

well why not posted:

is there a way to make messages' green bubbles more legible? My monitor is setup fine, but these green bubbles are nuclear green + white. iMesssages look fine, but I cannot convince everyone i talk to to switch.

Settings -> Accessibility -> Display -> Increase Contrast will change a lot of colors, including green bubbles. Although some of the other UI elements will be outlined and contrasted a bit more too.