Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I guess! All bosses are just about learning their moveset and knowing when to dodge. If you can do that, nothing else really matters.

Dancer is a bit of work though so I say abuse it's weakness. (Dancer has negative dark resist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I got her after a few tries- it's definitely an incredible fight from a visual perspective. Also might be influenced by having sellsword twinblades lol.

Also is taking endurance up to 40 good if you're just going straight dex, with only a bit of STR for requirements? Seems like 25 is a bit limiting

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Zesty posted:

I guess! All bosses are just about learning their moveset and knowing when to dodge. If you can do that, nothing else really matters.

Dancer is a bit of work though so I say abuse it's weakness. (Dancer has negative dark resist)

It was absolutely wild how fast she melted my last playthrough where I went hard on pyromancy and had Black Fire Orb on the fight. She barely had a chance to touch me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I cheated myself out of the proper Dancer experience cause I fully expected to get dunked on but I did the thing listed above and it was even easier than Vordt.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Dancer is fun to fight straight up if you commit to actually rolling through her dance, it's a rhythm game like Sekiro. Using pyromancy or running away from her big combo is boring

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zesty posted:

And bleed!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
This game is so goddamn hard, I am losing my mind here. :(

How do you dodge the King of the Storm's fire breath? The one from above, not the sideways one - that one's a perfect opening obviously. But I have not managed to dodge the one from above even a single time and I can scarcely make progress on the second phase if so many of my estus flasks are being wasted in the first one.

And why does Gael have so much HP.

And why does Friede even have a third phase.

And why are there no NPC summons for any of these three...

:smithicide:

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 8, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The NPC summon for friede is Gael himself... too bad you visited the Ringed City so he's already gone mad.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sway Grunt posted:

How do you dodge the King of the Storm's fire breath? The one from above, not the sideways one - that one's a perfect opening obviously. But I have not managed to dodge the one from above even a single time and I can scarcely make progress on the second phase if so many of my estus flasks are being wasted in the first one.

You just run. Seriously. As soon as you see him start to fly straight up, run as directly away from underneath him as you can. When you hear the fire go off behind you, maybe roll a coupla times for good measure, but you gotta be OUTTA THERE.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm guessing that was the reason for not starting Ringed City before finishing AoA, huh. At least he helped me out against the demons.

edit: ^^ I will try this.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was super annoyed to discover on one of my characters that if you start Ringed City before going to the painted world, you lose the ability to go there completely. Or it might be after touching the lady's egg. Either way

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sway Grunt posted:

How do you dodge the King of the Storm's fire breath? The one from above, not the sideways one - that one's a perfect opening obviously.

Downwards fire breath is KotS's way of punishing you for behing underneath it. Stay in front or to the side of the chicken's head and it will make other, easier to dodge attacks. If you use a high damage weapon, and put some lightning on it, KotS will be stunned in just a few hits, and you can get a critical hit on the head. First phase is pretty easy once you figure out the tells, but the second phase is MURDER.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Sway Grunt posted:

just dont stand underneath him and he wont do it

unlike a lot of dragon fights in the series the first phase is easier and much shorter if you stay in front and hit him in the head IMO

if you stay near the head he pretty much always does: one of his aerial attacks -> hit head 2-3x-> ground attack with spear or frontal fire breath -> hit head 2-3x -> repeat

hitbox/camera is a bit wonky since it moves around a lot, but if you just keep hitting him in the head at like 50% you'll trigger a riposte that will take a huge chunk off and stun him for a few seconds where you can finish it

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

And why does Gael have so much HP.

And why does Friede even have a third phase.

And why are there no NPC summons for any of these three...

1. Run away from it or facetank it with a 100 fire absorb shield.

2. He's fat on dark souls. You can cheese him with poison/toxic if you're a pyro.

3. Because two scythes are edgier than one.

4. Summon actual players instead! Sunbros need those medallions!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sway Grunt posted:

NK ain't hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvs9sdpSLZA
aside from gael it gave me the most trouble first time through

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Okay I've just spent another half hour dying to Nameless King BUT in that half hour I only triggered the downward fire breath attack like twice. So thanks for that tip, that's a little bit of progress. Managed to get the second phase down to like 50% once.

And Tyler Too! posted:

4. Summon actual players instead! Sunbros need those medallions!

I might end up doing this because I am actually getting very angry at this game. I played the whole series up to this point offline (except DS2 but it might as well have been offline) because I don't really play multiplayer at all, and summoned NPCs for only three fights (Burnt Ivory King, Sulyvahn and Demon Prince) but I've just been hitting my head against these walls for days now. At some point it's either get help or drop the game. I don't know if I'm there yet but I'm not far off.

edit: To be more precise, it's NK and Friede that I've been stuck on. Gael I only got to today and he seems the most doable from the few times I've tried it.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 8, 2021

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Nameless King is tough even with help. Last two times I've had help, we all nearly died right at the end. And there's always some jackass who dies in the first two minutes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sway Grunt posted:

Gael I only got to today and he seems the most doable

someone's into bears

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Return from whence thou cams't. Yuria surely awaits thee.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nameless King is unique because his moveset is specifically designed to punish panic-rolling. If you want to clown him you can always facetank him with a greatshield, or if you're a FTH build you can spam Dorhy's Gnawing as he's vulnerable to bleed.

Friede is just a Bloodborne boss ported into the wrong game. Keep practicing!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Return from whence thou cams't. Yuria surely awaits thee.

NO

I switched from my trusty halberd to the Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords, when timed correctly the running thrust attack interrupts Friede as she comes out of invisibility, and that attack was my biggest problem in phase 1. Actually running thrust -> regular attack was just a great combo against her and really got me through the third phase as well.

I really, really need to remember that I can use more than the halberd or Vordt's hammer. I'm way too faithful to my weapons of choice.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I switched from twinblades to crow quills, they've got more reach which is nice. The problem is that I can't tell when it's safe to attack and stun her and when she's can swing through the hits

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you lock-on and dash right up next to her when she starts going invisible, you can usually track her to her exact landing spot

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you lock-on and dash right up next to her when she starts going invisible, you can usually track her to her exact landing spot

Also if you plink her with an arrow right away, it remains for the whole first phase and you can use that to track her

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I was super annoyed to discover on one of my characters that if you start Ringed City before going to the painted world, you lose the ability to go there completely. Or it might be after touching the lady's egg. Either way

I think even if Gael leaves due to shenanigans, the painting fragment gets left on the altar next to where he usually is.

:toot:

Worth noting that DS3 has a password system for co-op, so if you really want some help you can always ask us trusty goons instead of relying on randos.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

codo27 posted:

Also if you plink her with an arrow right away, it remains for the whole first phase and you can use that to track her

Alternatively, unlock and 180 the camera around as soon as she jumps and you’ll see the puff of snow where she lands.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
phase 3 it's harder to track her so I usually use arrows there. also honestly bow is just strong vs phase 3 friede in general, her patterns are way less scary at range

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Finally made it to the Nameless King and I understand what everyone is talking about now. I can take down the first phase no problem, but after 15-20 tries the closest I got was coming to within 1 hit of winning. Then the next attempt he just immediately wipes me out before I even get a single hit in. It's feeling possible though and is a fun fight using a big weapon.

e: IT IS DONE

Toast King fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 9, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

not sure I have it in me to take Friede right now, might come back when I've got a +10 weapon. Where's a good place to farm souls, just killed Dancer in the base game? I'd like to clean out the vendors

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
2 Knights at Anor Londo. Use your Item Discovery gear to farm Proofs at the same time.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Zesty posted:

2 Knights at Anor Londo. Use your Item Discovery gear to farm Proofs at the same time.

+ the third knight on the right balcony usually suicides if you hit it with an arrow or two.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

second playthrough. one death up to swamp because the AI invader @ bridge is the hardest enemy in the game. vordts great hammer usuable soon as I got the kiln from tree boss... hooooly poo poo is all I can say. my first playthrough a couple years ago I went quality straight sword and I thought I was OP

Qmass fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 9, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I honestly prefer Great Club over Vordt's, I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Anyway I worked out a way to mindlessly farm Silver Knights without risk. Gold Serpent Ring + Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring + Hornet Ring. You need 10 INT + Scholar's Ring to cast Hidden Body. Sprint up the stairs, cast HB halfway up, then sprint all the way up to the top and backstab the sword knight with a Fire Dagger. Finish them off with a wakeup R2. Run down the stairs and stab the Spear Knight. Reset the bonfire.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Great Club isn't bad, but it's hard to beat how busted good Perseverance + Frost is.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vordt's & Ledo's are my PvP go-tos. Frostbite+Poise is fantastic in duels and Ledo's L2+R2 overhead smash can be aimed in any direction, anyone who dodges "not away from you" is going to be flattened.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

I honestly prefer Great Club over Vordt's, I dunno, maybe that's just me.
I've never tried it. Never used any hammer before... but im liking it so far. Do you infuse the great club ?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
May vary depending on your build, but generally Heavy that poo poo up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

After Dancer how long is it until I get access to lots of chunks? I've got a +7 quills and +8 twinblades and I'd like to get them to +10 asap. Also, is pushing up to 40 endurance a good idea if I can swing it, because 25 feels really limiting

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Basically every enemy immediately after Dancer has some chance to drop chunks, albeit at a slightly low rate. Plus your usual smattering of freebies scattered around.

No reason to hold back on endurance if you can afford to pump it up and feel like you need it. There's a ring that gives +5 free points so it can be worth stopping at 35 if you want to conserve a few level ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

After Dancer how long is it until I get access to lots of chunks? I've got a +7 quills and +8 twinblades and I'd like to get them to +10 asap. Also, is pushing up to 40 endurance a good idea if I can swing it, because 25 feels really limiting

Immediately after Dancer. Lothric Castle has tons, and if you take a small detour you'll get something that will allow you access to Archdragon Peak. Archdragon has some ashes you can bring to the shrine lady to unlock chunks for sale.