Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PookBear posted:

the vast majority of olympic events are boring as absolute gently caress

Not gonna disagree, when my dad was stationed in West Germany at the time of the Munich games they’d be given free tickets to watch the speed walking event. He still went as it was the Olympics but not a thrilling time.

The most exciting one I can remember was the Vancouver hockey games when USA was playing Canada.

I wish they’d consistently have the Olympics and World Cup in cities that already have stadiums built. But yeah, corruption so it’s inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GD_American posted:

The only two sports I saw in the '96 Olympics live were men's soccer matches in Birmingham, and the women's beach volleyball (first time it was an Olympic sport). Yeah, that was nice.

I saw the 100 people blast for the second time in 2 years at that point.

OKC was pretty fresh to me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I didn't even know race walking was a thing until like... 2 or 3 olympics ago. I thought people were loving with me until I saw it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

When watching I like the CBC coverage as they show as many live events as possible so there are cool moments like checking on the triathlon or seeing way more competition that isn’t only USA athletes. The NBC coverage wastes so much time with talking heads and trying to build narratives.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't even know race walking was a thing until like... 2 or 3 olympics ago. I thought people were loving with me until I saw it

loving flyers cheating all the time in that one.

And yes catching the events online or in an online chat is p. good because I like watching new sports and games.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wish they’d consistently have the Olympics and World Cup in cities that already have stadiums built. But yeah, corruption so it’s inconsistent.

It's cool when they're able to maintain and continue using the venues. Lake Tahoe got a lot of use out of a lot of the skiiing infrastructure from the olympics there, IIRC. But that usually requires some planning, institutional will, and economic niche to maintain, so a lot of times all that expensive construction just gets left to rot after the games.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasabi the J posted:

loving flyers cheating all the time in that one.

And yes catching the events online or in an online chat is p. good because I like watching new sports and games.

Would be fairly easy to put sensors in the shoes to make sure one foot is on the ground at all times.
Or just get rid of the dumb Victorian era event.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crab Dad posted:

Would be fairly easy to put sensors in the shoes to make sure one foot is on the ground at all times.
Or just get rid of the dumb Victorian era event.

They also ought to have an "open" class where you can juice or wear whatever.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

PookBear posted:

wait do you think the olympics is an endowment of athletics and sports?

No, of course not.

I believe we should treat Olympic athletes better and grant them more support for training, travel, etc. Similar to the national endowment of the arts (allegedly) does for music, art, poetry, etc.

I get that the top half of the Olympics only exists to line people's pockets, but as a nation/society, we should encourage our population to strive to be the best in the world. The likely hood of us overturning the entire structure is slim to none. So why not make the piece of the pie that we do control better?

I don't think it's bad to want people to have support to be the best they can be without making them live in their car.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasabi the J posted:

That should be all sports. Rifts promised me Juicer league football in the near future.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Bring back juice era MLB as a separate league where it's just like a handful of teams of giant veiny dudes roided out to the gills smashing baseballs out to a distance of a quarter mile.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

No, of course not.

I believe we should treat Olympic athletes better and grant them more support for training, travel, etc. Similar to the national endowment of the arts (allegedly) does for music, art, poetry, etc.

I get that the top half of the Olympics only exists to line people's pockets, but as a nation/society, we should encourage our population to strive to be the best in the world. The likely hood of us overturning the entire structure is slim to none. So why not make the piece of the pie that we do control better?

I don't think it's bad to want people to have support to be the best they can be without making them live in their car.

We can be the best in the world when there’s not a pandemic.

This seems like a reasonable compromise.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I am legit stoked for rock climbing and 7s rugby because 7s rugby loving owns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

So we didn't tell anyone when we left, but we'll broadcast this. :sigh:

I haven't actually given a poo poo about anything specific in the Olympics since the original Dream Team. I was permanently put off from the whole thing by all the bullshit when they came to SLC in 2002.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 8, 2021

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:sweep: 🥌

Kazinsal posted:

Bring back juice era MLB as a separate league where it's just like a handful of teams of giant veiny dudes roided out to the gills smashing baseballs out to a distance of a quarter mile.

Every game like an R.B.I. straight-pitch-only game :getin:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was that the one where that one guy shat himself?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m not really a finance person but does this look shady as hell to anyone else?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/wells-fargo-is-shutting-down-all-personal-line-of-credit-accounts-.html

quote:

July 8 (Reuters) - Wells Fargo & Co (WFC.N) is shutting down all existing personal lines of credit and is not offering the consumer lending product anymore, CNBC reported on Thursday, citing letters from the bank.

The product, which usually gave users $3,000 to $100,000 in revolving credit lines, was pitched as a way to consolidate higher-interest credit-card debt, pay for home renovations or avoid overdraft fees on linked checking accounts, the report said.

Customers have been given a 60-day notice that their accounts will be shuttered, according to the report.

Wells Fargo did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

The move comes more than a year after the bank suspended home equity loans, given the economic uncertainty fueled by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The fallout from the pandemic also prompted the bank to stop providing loans to a majority of its independent auto dealer customers last year.

Apparently they’ve advised customers that this could adversely affect their credit score.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m not really a finance person but does this look shady as hell to anyone else?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/wells-fargo-is-shutting-down-all-personal-line-of-credit-accounts-.html

Apparently they’ve advised customers that this could adversely affect their credit score.

Its very shady as hell, and Wells Fargo has a legacy of shady poo poo, which is probably why they are doing this.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hey at least they're only closing accounts and not secretly opening new ones

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Hey at least they're only closing accounts and not secretly opening new ones

They're probably announcing the policy change due to the number of dummy credit lines that were already opened. :tinfoil:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Are personal loans a popular product? I can't think of anyone I knew who ever just got a straight up loan, not home equity or auto or whatever from a bank.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I didn't check if the story has become accessible again since the nomination. But here's a backup:

https://archive.is/oXDEt

I don't believe it's been reposted officially but it is part of the Hugo voting packet so at least you can read it before you decide it merits an award. Absent that I would have a hard time placing it over "no award."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
what if an olympics where instead of training 365 days a year with an extensive support staff to maximize who can jump the fastest or hop over the most javelins, we had folks competing for who could best address the varied social ills of the host city by giving medals to those who can most sustainably and extensively feed the hungry and home the homeless

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Cugel the Clever posted:

what if an olympics where instead of training 365 days a year with an extensive support staff to maximize who can jump the fastest or hop over the most javelins, we had folks competing for who could best address the varied social ills of the host city by giving medals to those who can most sustainably and extensively feed the hungry and home the homeless

if you weren't born rich, you ain't gonna get there talkin like that

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

US Berder Patrol posted:

Are personal loans a popular product? I can't think of anyone I knew who ever just got a straight up loan, not home equity or auto or whatever from a bank.

Signature loans are a thing, although usually only for higher earners or strapped middle incomes. Low earners don't have the credit to sign unsecured loans, and credit cards are more convenient for everyone else to use. That leaves major single purchases or projects as the big reason for those loans, and that's usually either a home remodel or debt restructuring.

The APR they offered was from 9.5 to up into the low 20s, so they're essentially a credit card.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This part of it is being greatly oversold- it doesn't hit as a delinquency or anything, it just affects the part of scoring concerning average age of open accounts.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

Then society would defund the program and scrap the Olympics

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

FWIW, motorcycles and stuff like that, when financed, are classified as personal loans

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

US Berder Patrol posted:

In Canada there are a couple of banks that allow you to temporarily have a positive interest in your personal line of credit which allows you to use them as fee-less chequing accounts as long as you top them off beforehand. Kind of a niche use.

Otherwise the point of a line of credit is to use their ideally lower interest to consolidate higher interest loans.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I can't say that I've owned or cooked with white pepper. What's it compare to / is it really essential?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

I can't say that I've owned or cooked with white pepper. What's it compare to / is it really essential?

Black peppercorns are dried, white peppercorns are soaked then dried. White peppercorns are more common in asian cooking, e.g. hot and sour soup.
https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-spices-condiments/#white-pepper

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hobbesmaster posted:

Black peppercorns are dried, white peppercorns are soaked then dried. White peppercorns are more common in asian cooking, e.g. hot and sour soup.
https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-spices-condiments/#white-pepper

Are they actually that noticeably different in the end?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Can somebody turn off this 5 point earthquake swarm in the Sierras? Thanks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Are they actually that noticeably different in the end?

You know that delayed back of the throat spiciness from a good hot and sour soup? That’s white pepper.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I love when a post in the wrong thread seamlessly reroutes the conversation to that of the other thread. :3:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Carteret posted:

FWIW, motorcycles and stuff like that, when financed, are classified as personal loans

Since I've never shopped for one, do they have APRs around that credit card area, or can you get comparable rates to buying cars?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love when a post in the wrong thread seamlessly reroutes the conversation to that of the other thread. :3:

Oh gently caress lol

bengy81
May 8, 2010

GD_American posted:

Since I've never shopped for one, do they have APRs around that credit card area, or can you get comparable rates to buying cars?

It depends. If you have good credit the big companies will give you pretty good terms, like I think Yamaha was offering 3% for 36 - 60 months, but it was functionally the same as a credit card, missing a payment would increase you interest rate etc..
Otherwise rates are all over the place.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GD_American posted:

The really good car loan rates, ie anything lower than a mortgage are manufacturer subsidized so you can’t get that. You can get well under 10% with good credit though so if your credit and job improves drastically you can consolidate a lot of 20% credit cards and private student loans that have horrendous variable apr terms.

With short term stuff you can go very low with stuff like 0% apr for 12months promotional credit cards.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A cop in Huntsville, AL was convicted of murder. He's still on the payroll because the police chief is a giant infant, and the mayor is a white supremacist shithead.

I already knew this, but it gets worse- the police chief sent an email around the department soliciting cops to donate their leave to an anonymous police officer with an unnamed issue. The same day that the cop was convicted and sent on leave.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/07/huntsville-still-paying-police-officer-convicted-of-murder-two-months-ago.html

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Two bits of Pfizer news:

1) Pfizer is applying for full-blown FDA approval

https://twitter.com/davidalim/status/1413280777962414080

2) Pfizer is developing a third/booster/Delta-specific dose, and it's apparently super-powerful, but the CDC/FDA is currently not convinced we need it yet.

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1413299113882439685

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hopefully they can fit in some poo poo for Lambda as well.