Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
imo on the other hand getting a cheap hotswappable board as a first mechanical keyboard sounds fine for anyone who wants to try out switches or customise anything, it's what I'd have done if the current profusion of options existed >5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Llamadeus posted:

imo on the other hand getting a cheap hotswappable board as a first mechanical keyboard sounds fine for anyone who wants to try out switches or customise anything, it's what I'd have done if the current profusion of options existed >5 years ago.

Yeah hot-swap does have the potential for savings for anyone who thinks they might try out other switches in the future. A set of switches is much cheaper than a new board, and also means you can easily try out other switches by buying a 10-pack at first.

My comment about long-term endurance is very speculative: we won't know until 5-10 years from now and I wouldn't be shocked either way. And heck, there are/were some cheap mech boards that didn't have a backplate, just used the PCB for structure. I can't imagine a socketed board that uses a backplate to support the keys could be worse than that!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I picked up a Womier K87 a few months ago so I could play around with switches and stuff before buying a big kid keyboard and it's still my daily driver until my Mode65 arrives. And that was only around $80 or so iirc?

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
I recently got a k61 which is a cheap hotswap board that came with gat yellows which are good but got boba u4t to try and they are great. I probably wouldn't have tried new switches if it wasn't hot swap because I'm too lazy to learn to solder.

So hot swaps are good if you are a beginner and want to try different switches.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hoop Dreams posted:

I recently got a k61 which is a cheap hotswap board that came with gat yellows which are good but got boba u4t to try and they are great. I probably wouldn't have tried new switches if it wasn't hot swap because I'm too lazy to learn to solder.

So hot swaps are good if you are a beginner and want to try different switches.

This is exactly where I'm at too! Bobas are just so drat nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
soldering was like 2/3 of the fun for me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I solder enough at work I can't be bothered to do it at home for fun.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I’m having an issue with my GMMK Pro and Bobas… it’s as if the spring isn’t strong enough to elevate the space bar after pushing it. Stabs feel smooth but maybe they’re misaligned?

Photos of my current 3 ‘extra’ keyboards including the GMMK. My fav is still the Kira TKL. Need to find uses for them soon to justify this hobby to my wife…

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

fwiw I came into this thread asking for recommendations, paid $100 for a durgod that I ended up tossing after a couple weeks for a custom keyboard with bobas. building a custom keyboard is really easy, it just takes time for the stuff to ship.

edit: soldering is a good life skill that is worth having

alg fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 9, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Opioid posted:

I’m having an issue with my GMMK Pro and Bobas… it’s as if the spring isn’t strong enough to elevate the space bar after pushing it. Stabs feel smooth but maybe they’re misaligned?

Photos of my current 3 ‘extra’ keyboards including the GMMK. My fav is still the Kira TKL. Need to find uses for them soon to justify this hobby to my wife…

You might need a heavier spring on the spacebar. I had to swap out my 62g spring on my spacebar to a 68g because I use MT3 and my spacebar sometimes didn't return all the way. It's not uncommon for a switch with such a large tactile bump like Bobas to need slightly heavier spring on the spacebar. Kinetic Labs includes some heavier springs in your order if you buy lower weight Penguin switches for that reason as well. Aside from that, Bobas are pretty much as close as you can get to perfect switches. I think I have almost a hundred different switches in my collection, and I still pretty much only use Bobas of some variety (usually U4T or some frankenswitch using the housings) on my boards.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Also the stabilizers on the gmmk pro are just packed with grease. I just swapped mine out for durocks and there was so much lube it was oozing out onto the board.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You probably already know this, but have you checked the spacebar for warping? A warped spacebar is classic for doing that.

Doesn't have to be a banana to do it, just enough to put some angle on the stabilizers in their socket.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
Anyone here own the Razer Pro Type? How is it? I have a Corsair K70 with MX Browns that work really well, but wanted a different pair for working remotely.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Opioid posted:

Yeah, as mentioned it's likely because the spacebar stabs are filled to the brim with grease. I think Glorious tried to over-compensate for rattly stabs. I had to scoop the majority of it out for the spacebar not to feel mushy. Also have Boba's on the GMMK Pro and it's nice and snappy now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Opioid posted:

I had this issue but only when trying to use the brass plate, no problem on the aluminium plate, using Boba U4 and Durock stabs.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So I have a question, I picked up a Keychron 8 to replace a G710+, and I use the L ctrl a lot, and it seems like maybe I miss the bigger ctrl of the G710 more than I expected?

Is this how it is with these smaller keyboards? It just feels more uncomfortable to use lctrl over and over. I tried repositioning keyboard adjusting the key mapping a little, but then sometimes I would just be resting my palm on lctrl.. Is that the problem? the G710 had that wrist pad thing, is that what I need? but then isn't that bad for you?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Femur posted:

So I have a question, I picked up a Keychron 8 to replace a G710+, and I use the L ctrl a lot, and it seems like maybe I miss the bigger ctrl of the G710 more than I expected?

Is this how it is with these smaller keyboards? It just feels more uncomfortable to use lctrl over and over. I tried repositioning keyboard adjusting the key mapping a little, but then sometimes I would just be resting my palm on lctrl.. Is that the problem? the G710 had that wrist pad thing, is that what I need? but then isn't that bad for you?

It looks like the K8 uses 1.25U modifiers, as opposed to a 1.5U left control on your old keyboard?

If you're really using left control that much, you might want to consider mapping capslock to left control?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Femur posted:

The most ergonomic way to type is to have your hands floating over the keyboard which is why people are saying wrist rests can be bad for you. But if having no wrist rest is already making your hands reach keys at awkward angles, then it should help. I personally use wrist rests because it's way more comfy and I could never do the whole hand floating thing. You may also want to check out how much you have your hand reaching over the keyboard, your palm shouldn't really be anywhere near LCtrl in normal typing situations.

As for the LCtrl, I think you'll eventually get used to it 1.25u vs 1.5u on your old G710 isn't the biggest jump in the world, so I think you'd get used to it soon. 1.25u for LCtrl is also the standard layout so it'll be like that for pretty much every standard board other than gaming ones.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Who wouldn't want a "shy and lovely" penis key cap on their keyboard?

Hmm.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Constellation I posted:

The most ergonomic way to type is to have your hands floating over the keyboard which is why people are saying wrist rests can be bad for you. But if having no wrist rest is already making your hands reach keys at awkward angles, then it should help. I personally use wrist rests because it's way more comfy and I could never do the whole hand floating thing. You may also want to check out how much you have your hand reaching over the keyboard, your palm shouldn't really be anywhere near LCtrl in normal typing situations.

As for the LCtrl, I think you'll eventually get used to it 1.25u vs 1.5u on your old G710 isn't the biggest jump in the world, so I think you'd get used to it soon. 1.25u for LCtrl is also the standard layout so it'll be like that for pretty much every standard board other than gaming ones.

Thank you Constellation I and interrodactyl for the advice. I never thought about remapping the capslock, still trying to get used to it. I will get a wristpad through I think, this keyboard is pretty high to me, so it might be better.

My hands are just always resting on that corner, all the mmrpg from young days? so moving keys over a little just made me rest palm there.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So I tried those hot new Durock Lavenders that everyone is raving about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6if3WeiqXdo

They're really solid. If you like other Durock/JWK linear switches like Alpacas but wanted a deeper sound profile, try these out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DrHammond posted:

Any take on the JWK Durock switches? The Durock POM's are looking interesting to me now, and have a decent thokky sound based on some videos I've seen.

JWK switches are fine. They are what they are, just lube and film them and they're fine. I like them but they're not my top choice.
They're pretty much all the same though. Despite claims of different mixes of "nylon / full nylon / pc / uhmwpe / unicorn tears" they're all literally the same switch.
Except for some reason the lavenders are super smooth.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

So I tried those hot new Durock Lavenders that everyone is raving about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6if3WeiqXdo

They're really solid. If you like other Durock/JWK linear switches like Alpacas but wanted a deeper sound profile, try these out.

Those sound really really nice. They're expensive and I've already bought a lot of switches but..... I want them.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

JWK switches are fine. They are what they are, just lube and film them and they're fine. I like them but they're not my top choice.
They're pretty much all the same though. Despite claims of different mixes of "nylon / full nylon / pc / uhmwpe / unicorn tears" they're all literally the same switch.
Except for some reason the lavenders are super smooth.

Yeah, I don't know what flavor of magical unicorn tears went in to Lavenders but drat are they nice. One of my favorite linears for sure.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
There's a reason why for all of 2020, there was a meme about "Yes, this another JWK recolor". Lavenders feel like the first truly different JWK switch I've tried - enough to make me look at other "full" nylon housing switches and see if they match up.

For a while, Durock was the main factory pumping out new, consistent, high-end linear switches, but that's starting to change a lot.

Outemu is making a new linear in a collaboration with Gazzew (of U4 and U4T fame), Tecsee has been making some great switches with different sound and feel profiles, and KTT switches are now giving some insane value with group buy prices around $0.25/switch.

What I'm saying is that it's a great time to get a hotswap keyboard if you're interested in trying different switches.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

KBDFans is announced that the Odin is going into group buy in August. One of the very few enthusiast full size keyboards I've seen, though I haven't seen any announcement on price yet.

Additionally, if you saw it earlier, there's been a revision since it was first posted, and there's a few color ways available.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/interest-checks/products/ic-kbdfans-d1000-mechaincal-keyboard

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm guessing it'll be $300+ based on how much their TKLs are.

Does anyone know where I could pick up some brown keycaps? I tried Kraken Keyboards but their custom keycap configurator doesn't do brown. I want to get some brown and green keycaps and make a Shrek themed board.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Keeb thread, I need some opinions: I've got 10 bucks in drop rewards that expires soon and I'm thinking of picking up either a Planck or Preonic kit to maybe replace my current daily driver. I like the aesthetic of the Planck more, but the number row of the Preonic would be more helpful for when I'm playing games. Has anyone tried playing a KB+M game on a 40% board? I also currently have an Atreus that I swap in and out for work as I see fit so I already have some form of 40% already.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mariooncrack posted:

I'm guessing it'll be $300+ based on how much their TKLs are.

Does anyone know where I could pick up some brown keycaps? I tried Kraken Keyboards but their custom keycap configurator doesn't do brown. I want to get some brown and green keycaps and make a Shrek themed board.

Are you ok with blank keycaps?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Keeb thread, I need some opinions: I've got 10 bucks in drop rewards that expires soon and I'm thinking of picking up either a Planck or Preonic kit to maybe replace my current daily driver. I like the aesthetic of the Planck more, but the number row of the Preonic would be more helpful for when I'm playing games. Has anyone tried playing a KB+M game on a 40% board? I also currently have an Atreus that I swap in and out for work as I see fit so I already have some form of 40% already.

I play games on my Preonic and have had no issues. Not sure if I’d be able to on a Planck without remapping almost all ingame keys.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
It really depends on the game, but for the ones I play, having no num row would get old really really fast.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dimestore Merlin posted:

I'd agree with the others, a Preonic should be perfectly fine for almost any game that doesn't lean too hard on the numpad or the cursor control keys. I'm about eight months in to my Moonlander, which has more or less the same keys, and so far BeamNG.Drive's use of Page Up and Page Down has been literally the only thing I've needed to remap to play comfortably. The split makes a couple of games a bit less comfortable than they normally would be as well, but you wouldn't have that problem.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So I lubed up my Akko Blues and slapped them on my Keychron C1 with cherry profile keycaps and if you bottom out, it sounds like a type writer. Fun and all but I think I may try out their Matcha Greens for a full linear experience rather than tactile. Luckily it’s cheap as heck, 15 bucks for 45 switches.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Are you ok with blank keycaps?

Yeah I think that would work.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mariooncrack posted:

Yeah I think that would work.

Maxkeyboard will sell you a full set for $25, or singles for $1 if you just want accents.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I just got on the Keychron K7 Kickstarter. It's the first drat time I have actually gotten in on a limited buy.

I needed a travel board and that seemed perfect. Even better is I got work to expense it!

This will be my second board. My other is a Drop ALT which is holding up pretty well after a couple of years and some TLC.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

My keychron K4's wired mode completely poo poo the bed after a year, though the BT mode still works for some reason. But having to wake up the keeb after not touching it for a couple minutes is annoying as hell

Did some looking and it's a common issue, maybe bad soldering on the usb-c connector?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Do they make keyboards where you can press as many keys as you want at once? Like for rhythm games?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yep, it's a common feature nowadays

The bullet point to look for is "N Key Rollover" or NKRO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NotNut posted:

Do they make keyboards where you can press as many keys as you want at once? Like for rhythm games?

Yes, this is a pretty normal feature on gaming type keyboards above a certain price point. The thing to look for is "N-key rollover" or "NKRO" in the description. And below that it's very standard for mechanical keyboards to have 6KRO, ie any combination of 6 or fewer keys will always work.

Some keyboards can even switch between 6KRO and NKRO, iirc N-key is slightly violating the USB 1.0 spec or something like that and doesn't work with some very antiquated PCs.