Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
It's a lot cheaper and easier to just zig-a-zig aah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
New arrival for my vaporwave collection, peep this really interesting disc pattern:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fors Yard posted:

It's a lot cheaper and easier to just zig-a-zig aah.

It's been a long time since I found anyone that's interested.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Uh, when is that spice girls lp coming out? Asking for a friend.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

New arrival for my vaporwave collection, peep this really interesting disc pattern:

I'm usually turned off by colored vinyl but these are real pretty.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Hoping my OMC How Bizarre single comes in soon.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I received the Cloud Hill pressing of De-Loused in the Comatorium today. I am beyond excited to listen. It's one of my favorite albums.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My gut feeling is the massive overproduction on the garth box sets was somehow tied to the exclusive streaming contract he cut with amazon music a few years back. Up until then he had completely refused to sell his music digitally aside from on his own now defunct platform called ghost tunes.

Guessing either Garth or Amazon's plan was.

1. Land Garth's catalog as an Amazon Music streaming exclusive
2. Use streaming analytics to determine that Garth is apparently still hot in the old people who used to buy records demographic.
3. Make a huge pressing run to account for the forecasted demand
4. ??????
5. Profit

In other news I was putting away that record haul and came across the Duke Ellington Indigoes that I found for $1 at the salvation army. Like I said the sleeve and record were mint and I assumed it was a repress based on condition until I saw the original faded 2.88 price tag.

I also found this on the same trip for 2.99. Same deal where it was an original press that is immaculate and could pass for a brand new repress.

Since I was talking about the desirability of the Mono mixes of Beatles/Simon and Garfunkel etc...

For those who have never subjected themselves to bad mono to stereo mixes, I threw on the Early Beatles and made a video of how awful the stereo version was mixed. I start in stereo. Which sounds 100% worse in person where you can hear 99% of the vocals are only on the right channel and most of the instruments are only on the left.

Then I switch between right only/left only/stereo/L+R Mono a few times so you can experience the acapella/karaoke/weird/dead versions.

You'd think that the L+R Mono would fix everything but it just makes everything sound really dull and flat.

[url]https://youtu.be/Mvf0FTww0dM[/url]
https://vimeo.com/572387519

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 8, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

my turn in the barrel posted:

My gut feeling is the massive overproduction on the garth box sets was somehow tied to the exclusive streaming contract he cut with amazon music a few years back. Up until then he had completely refused to sell his music digitally aside from on his own now defunct platform called ghost tunes.

Guessing either Garth or Amazon's plan was.

1. Land Garth's catalog as an Amazon Music streaming exclusive
2. Use streaming analytics to determine that Garth is apparently still hot in the old people who used to buy records demographic.
3. Make a huge pressing run to account for the forecasted demand
4. ??????
5. Profit

In other news I was putting away that record haul and came across the Duke Ellington Indigoes that I found for $1 at the salvation army. Like I said the sleeve and record were mint and I assumed it was a repress based on condition until I saw the original faded 2.88 price tag.

I also found this on the same trip for 2.99. Same deal where it was an original press that is immaculate and could pass for a brand new repress.

Since I was talking about the desirability of the Mono mixes of Beatles/Simon and Garfunkel etc...

For those who have never subjected themselves to bad mono to stereo mixes, I threw on the Early Beatles and made a video of how awful the stereo version was mixed. I start in stereo. Which sounds 100% worse in person where you can hear 99% of the vocals are only on the right channel and most of the instruments are only on the left.

Then I switch between right only/left only/stereo/L+R Mono a few times so you can experience the acapella/karaoke/weird/dead versions.

You'd think that the L+R Mono would fix everything but it just makes everything sound really dull and flat.

https://youtu.be/Mvf0FTww0dM

I sent you my pics please respond.

So if you didn't see it, a couple pages ago I asked if you were interested in selling that copy of X: Los Angeles.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

this is why I have to wait until November to get the Tropical gently caress Storm album that comes out in August.
Oh hell yeah, I didn't know new TFS was on the way.

Man I hope Joyful Noise puts the first two Optiganally Yours albums on vinyl. That Rob Crow box set they did is my white whale:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I sent you my pics please respond.

So if you didn't see it, a couple pages ago I asked if you were interested in selling that copy of X: Los Angeles.

Sorry about that.

Not sure what pics you are referring to or if that's a forums joke it went over my head.

Not really interested in selling. Like I mentioned in my first post here I am mainly collecting vinyl to share it with my son. He's three right now but my plan is to squirrel away stuff like that X album for him to discover when he's an angsty teenager.

If I find another copy that isn't roached I will snag it and let you know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sorry about that.

Not sure what pics you are referring to or if that's a forums joke it went over my head.

Not really interested in selling. Like I mentioned in my first post here I am mainly collecting vinyl to share it with my son. He's three right now but my plan is to squirrel away stuff like that X album for him to discover when he's an angsty teenager.

If I find another copy that isn't roached I will snag it and let you know.

"I sent you my pics please respond." is a thing creeps say to women on the internet after sending unsolicited nudes. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

"I sent you my pics please respond." is a thing creeps say to women on the internet after sending unsolicited nudes. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me.

LOL

Good morning.

First order of business, Fluance is an unfortunate name

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

petit choux posted:

LOL

Good morning.

For the first few months I had my turntable, my kids insisted on calling it the "Flatulence RT82." Eventually they grew tired of that, and also tired of asking me "what's that thing?" when I pulled out a record.

Kids these days.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

petit choux posted:

LOL

Good morning.

I've got some Fluance speakers and they've been good though!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

For the first few months I had my turntable, my kids insisted on calling it the "Flatulence RT82." Eventually they grew tired of that, and also tired of asking me "what's that thing?" when I pulled out a record.

Kids these days.

Did you tell them the record was for your flatulence?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

Kids these days.

Don't tell them there's an Onancock Virginia, then. AKA Wankerville. My sympathies to anyone who has to grow up in a town called Onancock.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is my ancestral land.

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/local/human being-northumberland

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

IG-88 posted:

so cloud-whatever is sending each mars volta record separately from the uk

dude, what???

i guess i get to relive the rise and fall of tmv on a compressed scale

I got my copy of deloused today and it sounds awesome. I dunno if it’s $60 awesome yet but I love this album. But yeah, they aren’t going to be done sending them chronologically until January.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Anyone grab a copy of the Muse Origin Of Symmetry "RemiXX" here?

Was curious to how the vinyl version of it sounds (the digital is totally brickwalled).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The majority of the old 80s Beatles CDs have this same problem, I know because I accidentally have a collection of them. They're great for diagnosing speaker problems though.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

I got my copy of deloused today and it sounds awesome. I dunno if it’s $60 awesome yet but I love this album. But yeah, they aren’t going to be done sending them chronologically until January.

Mine sounds fantastic as well, but side D has some major skips so I requested a replacement. Bummer.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

IG-88 posted:

so cloud-whatever is sending each mars volta record separately from the uk

dude, what???

i guess i get to relive the rise and fall of tmv on a compressed scale

Hmmm my copy of Tremulant shipped in from San Diego. Strange.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Having to stop myself from buying one of the few expensive classical LPs at the shop (it's like $45), aka the original early 1956 version of Charles Munch doing Symphonie Fantastique with the original cover art that they replaced immediately

It's perfect

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Having to stop myself from buying one of the few expensive classical LPs at the shop (it's like $45), aka the original early 1956 version of Charles Munch doing Symphonie Fantastique with the original cover art that they replaced immediately

It's perfect

Some David Bowie looking poo poo right there.

I, too, bought an old copy of Symphonie Fantastique solely on the creepiness of its cover:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Classical (and jazz) is great for having amazing covers which, unlike pop/rock LPS haven't been displayed to death on every "cool record covers" list ever.

Well, except that infamous Westminister Gold cover of Holst - The Planets, which does get posted all the time (look up "Westminister Gold album covers" for fun)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 9, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Here’s a classical record I got for the cover:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

that's nuts

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's perfect

Holy cow, I'd never seen that one! And as it turns out there are a number of covers that are really nice for this symphony. I have this one, some classic bachelor pad artwork:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just scrolling through the vinyl on ebay, there's lots of great cover art for this one. And then there's the prequel to Colin Newman's Commercial Suicide:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here's one by a different Munch:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People loved going nuts for Berlioz cover art apparently. This isn't a great version of Faust but god drat

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

petit choux posted:

Just scrolling through the vinyl on ebay, there's lots of great cover art for this one. And then there's the prequel to Colin Newman's Commercial Suicide:

This is some millennial humor-rear end art, and I absolutely love it. I looked at it and went "Lol, same".

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Living Stereo. For now.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 9, 2021

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

dorium posted:

Hmmm my copy of Tremulant shipped in from San Diego. Strange.

I ordered from the uk site before the us one went up

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Repress of the Doom 2016 soundtrack announced, but so far all I see is Euro shipping for almost the same cost as the soundtrack itself. Argh!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

People loved going nuts for Berlioz cover art apparently. This isn't a great version of Faust but god drat

So what is a great version of Faust anyway? Maybe I should just see if I can find the whole thing on DVD.

ED; I have this box. The albums were ruined, so I just use it for magazine clippings and ticket stubs and stuff.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And don't say Randy Newman. There, two Newmans in one day (so far)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

petit choux posted:

So what is a great version of Faust anyway? Maybe I should just see if I can find the whole thing on DVD.

ED; I have this box. The albums were ruined, so I just use it for magazine clippings and ticket stubs and stuff.

Markevitch on Deutsche Grammophon, or Colin Davis on Philips. I haven't heard much modern ones though.