Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

How long do you take to locate a ball before you declare it lost? Lately I'll just take maybe 30-45 seconds tops before I'll declare it gone, especially if I'm near deep brush. My FIL on the other hand will take seemingly forever, driving around in circles and sometimes near adjacent fairways looking for it. I can't stand it

I'm with you. You're allowed 3 minutes, but I doubt I've ever even looked for 1 minute. I'll just take a penalty or go look for the provisional shot that I will always gladly take if I don't know what the hell happened to my ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I saw the last hole of the "event" this evening by accident.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Keyser_Soze posted:

I saw the last hole of the "event" this evening by accident.

It was chill and fun to watch, shame you missed it

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Brady hitting driver to 10' on that short par 4 was probably one of the best shots of the match.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

I'm with you. You're allowed 3 minutes, but I doubt I've ever even looked for 1 minute. I'll just take a penalty or go look for the provisional shot that I will always gladly take if I don't know what the hell happened to my ball.

Depends. If I'm looking for a ball that should never have been lost, I'll look for longer than if it was hit into heavy grass or a hazard where I know I'm unlikely to find it.

Those loving fairway black holes that eat balls that you didn't see land just over the hill, but clearly in the fairway/first cut I'll look until everyone else has hit and I'm otherwise causing a problem.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If someone is breathing down my neck I’ll just drop, but so many times I just know it was a good shot if I could find the drat ball :smith:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In those situations I just drop where I thought the ball landed and don't give myself the stroke. I'm not going to penalize myself for a good shot.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

In those situations I just drop where I thought the ball landed and don't give myself the stroke. I'm not going to penalize myself for a good shot.

I give myself a 2 stroke penalty and put it in the fairway as per the "new local rule" because if I can't find my ball it's because I didn't hit it in the fairway or on the green.

quote:

Model Local Rule E-5

“When a player’s ball has not been found or is known or virtually certain to be out of bounds, the player may proceed as follows rather than proceeding under stroke and distance.

For two penalty strokes, the player may take relief by dropping the original ball or another ball in this relief area (see Rule 14.3):

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I went out today and found out how to actually hit straight(relatively) with my swing, and it feels great. I came close to my first par 3 birdie but whiffed a 12 ft putt.

I kept trying to hit the ball off the tee but at these ~110 yd par 3s, i should just drop it on the ground, the tee really isn't helping me, i hit better without it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Panzeh posted:

I went out today and found out how to actually hit straight(relatively) with my swing, and it feels great. I came close to my first par 3 birdie but whiffed a 12 ft putt.

I kept trying to hit the ball off the tee but at these ~110 yd par 3s, i should just drop it on the ground, the tee really isn't helping me, i hit better without it.

How hi are you teeing the ball? For a par 3, it should be just a few millimeters higher than the ground.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
Posting just to ingrain it in my memory but trying to swing as slowly and softly as possible has resulted in the best club head speed and compression.

“I will not be tense. Tension is the swing killer” - Phil Mick’Dib

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I've started not teeing wedges on par 3s anymore, they always seem to come out a bit thin. Off the turf is no problem though. Golf is a stupid game, news at eleven.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

daslog posted:

How hi are you teeing the ball? For a par 3, it should be just a few millimeters higher than the ground.

Higher than that.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Willzilla posted:

Posting just to ingrain it in my memory but trying to swing as slowly and softly as possible has resulted in the best club head speed and compression.

“I will not be tense. Tension is the swing killer” - Phil Mick’Dib

That's the ticket. My Garmin watch does this thing where it gives you swing tempo for practice: one buzz, followed by 2 buzzes in succession. If it was music, it would be quarter note, rest, quarter note, quarter note, played at different tempos. First buzz, start the swing. Second buzz, start the downswing. Third buzz, make contact with the ball.

Well, turned out, I was rushing the poo poo out of my swing, even if I set it to "Pro - slow". As soon as I started to let the swing "breathe", I started making better contact, and hitting further. Sometimes I sit around and play the tempo on my knee just to get it in grained in my head.

My tempo is a slower version of the drummer intro to "Be My Baby", if you played it at .75. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPpbOGnFgk

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Panzeh posted:

Higher than that.

Tee it just high enough to give your self a nice lie for all clubs except driver. Lots of good guides on YourTube.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Speaking of Garmin, they just announced this

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/garmin/157596-garmin-approach-r10-launch-monitor-price-specs-features

$600 for data & simulation is going to crush the Mevo+ if it’s any good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/garmin/157596-garmin-approach-r10-launch-monitor-price-specs-features

hooooooly poo poo :stare:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Daric posted:

I saw that. Just waiting for the reviews but I really want one.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I have the g80 and love it, this should hopefully be just as good.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

One of the guys in our regular group has a nasty slice when they miss. Hell blast one into the woods and go so deep in he’ll probably find Sasquatch one day while looking for his tee shot.

I’m about the same as you and I rarely, If ever spend 3 min looking for my ball.

Now on the tee box of a par 3? I will bring pace of play to a stand still looking for that broken tee to use. I’m not using a fresh tee damnit, there has to be a broken one nearby!

e: unrelated but what sunscreen do you guys keep in your bag? In the past I’d just apply whatever high spf lotion I have at my house and not reapply on the course. For face I have 100 spf I wear everyday. I feel like I’m just baking this year and will probably carry some spray in my bag.

Does anyone wear those lightweight long sleeve shirts for protection? Thinking about buying a fishing one or something. I’m in Ohio so it could be worse but I feel like I should get better about protecting myself.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 7, 2021

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
This dude has a review of that Garmin R10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHvveKvJ2s

Ed: this looks loving sick, I'm a Garmin fanboy for years now

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That looks pretty sweet for what it is.

The biggest difference between it and the next tier up (Skytrak/Mevo+) is that it doesn't do putting, which makes the course simulation aspect a bit less appealing.

Also the tolerance on the measurements - their specs say +/- 5 yards and +/- 1 degree on angles, is a bit higher than the monitors in the next level up.

Looks like it trounces the other stuff, like the regular Mevo, in that price range though.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got a G80 that I love and am in the market for a proper golf simulator. If I can do Golf Club on it I'm sold.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Daric posted:

:eyepop:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Doesn't look like you'll be able to do TGC on the Garmin. Only their built-in course simulator thing that has all of the courses in a generic video-gamey style, or E6, which is the subscription based simulation software that most of the big boy simulators use for their courses.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What's the general consensus on E6 vs. TGC?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
drat that poo poo is white hot. Wish I didn’t live in a 80s shitbox house with low ceilings.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

dangling pointer posted:

e: unrelated but what sunscreen do you guys keep in your bag? In the past I’d just apply whatever high spf lotion I have at my house and not reapply on the course. For face I have 100 spf I wear everyday. I feel like I’m just baking this year and will probably carry some spray in my bag.

Does anyone wear those lightweight long sleeve shirts for protection? Thinking about buying a fishing one or something. I’m in Ohio so it could be worse but I feel like I should get better about protecting myself.

I have switched this year from SPF 50 to appropriate clothing for sun protection. If I'm golfing between 10am-2pm, I wear a very very lightweight long-sleeve white or blue collared heatgear shirt from underarmor. Unfortunately they seem to have discontinued them — the closest I could find on eBay was something like this, but I was fortunate enough to snap up several from my local factory outlet. I'm sure you can find something similar.

Other than that I wear a hat and shorts. Even though I'm very pale by nature, my legs never seem to burn golfing. Outside the hours of 10AM-2PM, I generally just wear a short sleeve polo. If it starts to get close, or if I'm worried, I'll put a bit of mineral (not chemical) sunscreen on my forearm tattoos mostly to protect them from the sun.

Chemical sunscreen made me feel like garbage and ran off with sweat, and mineral sunscreen is better for you + the environment but doesn't last as long and is ghastly white. Try clothes!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kirios posted:

What's the general consensus on E6 vs. TGC?

E6 is designed specifically for playing courses on a real launch monitor, while TGC is a video game that they converted to work with a few specific launch monitors as the input device, so the differences are fairly straightforward.

E6 has a little over 100 courses, but they're all highly detailed, laser-scanned, constantly updated, etc. It works with almost every launch monitor, but some won't allow you to use the calculated adjustments for things like wind, elevation, lie (fairway/rough/bunker/etc.).

It's very simulation oriented. Looks very pretty, great physics, tracks tons of data, but has no game-y presentation stuff like announcers or flashy transitions between shots. Everything is highly configurable - fairway hardness, green speed, elevation (if you want it to be different than the actual course) time of day, etc.

The downside is that because it's sim software that isn't developed by a video game company, it's a little complicated to set up and the online features (leagues, real-time multiplayer matches) all work, but are janky.

It also costs $2500 for the license just to use the software at all. That gives you a rotating selection of courses to play (it's a bunch, but not 100) without paying anything extra. The premium add-on is like $500/year to unlock all of the courses. You can also buy a handful of special courses, like the Pebble Beach package, for a one time fee and be able to play those forever without any reccuring costs.

TGC is just like playing the video game, but using real clubs and balls as the input. It's fun, but generally doesn't appeal to the golf lunatics like me who go to the effort of setting up a simulator the same way that E6 does.

To use a video game analogy, E6 is like playing iRacing with a full cockpit/wheel/pedal setup and TGC is like playing Forza or GT.

Also, there's a huge community of E6 people online who run leagues and host matches and stuff. The community for TGC with a launch monitor is pretty tiny in comparison, from what I've found anyway.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm strongly leaning towards selling my G80 and buying this instead. It does everything that does plus a proper simulator.

I can use my net and mat that I bought a couple of years ago for this as I slowly get upgrades over time. If the R10 works even remotely as good as the reviewer says it's going to eat the lunch money of Skytrack, Mevo+, etc. etc.

Edit: Thanks a ton for the detailed E6 vs. TGC feedback! My year 1 plan is to get this thing and use the basic 99 dollar subscription for a year to make sure I like it. After that, fully commit to E6 and get a proper PC, display, mat, etc. etc. Garmin looks to have knocked this one out of the park.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Thanks for the tips. I’m also pale but normally just do the polo, hat, and shorts thing. It’s funny you mentioned 10-2 because this morning I went for a quick range session, saw the course was wide open so decided to squeeze in a quick 9 instead. Only took 70 min or so, drank 3 bottles of water, and I was still beat by the end. I didn’t think to check under armor, I’ll see what they have and give something super lightweight with sleeves a try next time.

I’m sure most people already know this but polarized sunglasses are great on days the sun is out in full force. I’m also able to track balls better with them. Really cuts down on glare.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

(shameless plug)

Selling my G80 now - listing is here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255045890883

If anyone's interested in it DM me - y'all get a goon discount. :)

Edit:

Less shameless plug and more relevant content:

The R10's up for preorder in case anyone's interested - already preordered myself:

https://www.playbetter.com/products/garmin-approach-r10-portable-launch-monitor-simulator

Kirios fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 8, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

dangling pointer posted:

Thanks for the tips. I’m also pale but normally just do the polo, hat, and shorts thing. It’s funny you mentioned 10-2 because this morning I went for a quick range session, saw the course was wide open so decided to squeeze in a quick 9 instead. Only took 70 min or so, drank 3 bottles of water, and I was still beat by the end. I didn’t think to check under armor, I’ll see what they have and give something super lightweight with sleeves a try next time.

I’m sure most people already know this but polarized sunglasses are great on days the sun is out in full force. I’m also able to track balls better with them. Really cuts down on glare.

So after looking more I think this is what I have: https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/tops/mens-ua-seamless-1-2-zip/1347752.html?dwvar_1347752_color=001&start=0&breadCrumbLast=Men. If it's the same, then it's amazing, particularly the white/grey. I played in that in 85F and sunny on Monday midday and felt great and sun protected the whole time

I used to play with polarized sunglasses but I feel like they distort things just barely enough to screw me up more, so I've just been getting along with a ballcap.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I inherited my grandpa’s clubs last summer and have only gone to the driving range, but today I said gently caress it and grabbed a 9 iron, wedge, and putter and went down the road to the municipal 9 hole course and played my first game of golf for $7. It seemed like everyone else there also had no clue what they were doing so there was zero pressure for game pace or not looking like an idiot so it was fun. I’ll definitely be looking into lessons too.

And also irons, I’m pretty sure this is a sign of an old man bag, he has four different woods and only a 7 and 9 iron lol.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1413219078156783620?s=21

:psyduck:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm glad he's got his poo poo figured out finally. Apparently before he got lessons from everyone under the sun including Haney which broke his swing he was regularly breaking 80.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Played Washington National this morning and topped 6 drives in a row. Everything else was clicking though for a 90. My magic streak of playing bogey golf every loving round this year continues strongly. I think the best part of the round was there was some folks who owned a house on the course behind us. They were both shooting absolutely bonkers shots, landing everything in perfect position. Kind of cool to see in real life.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I hit a 40 yard liner into the middle of the fairway from the base of a tree, left handed using the back of my 3 iron today that made my wife roll her eyes and say 'you're ridiculous' :smug:

Very rewarding bogey save.
lol I love/hate this game every drat day.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

This weekend I won my club championship for the 4th straight time in the last 5 years (2019 was rained out and never rescheduled). It was the first club championship that my score wasn’t lower than the previous year after 7 straight years of doing that which was disappointing but I knew that streak had to end sooner rather than later.

I decided to buy a Mizuno ST Z driver just to mess around since TXG and other online reviews have been stellar and I haven’t gotten a single new club in over a year and was feeling the itch. My Ping G410 Plus has been performing pretty well so I’m not sure what I’m hoping for other than a little more ball speed but there’s a place near me that has a GC Quad so I plan on spending some time there in the next few weeks to get numbers across my entire bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/brodylogan/status/1413460581877653505?s=21

Lmao what the hell