Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I've been looking at Extus, Oriq Overlord/Awaken the Blood Avatar as a fun commander. Seems the obvious line to go is a standard aristocrats token strategy into any infinite mana engine to cast Awaken the Blood Avatar and make infinite hasty tokens.

The obvious lines seem to be Dockside Extortionist/Sword of the Paruns/Splinter Twin or Animate Dead/Worldgorger Dragon for the mana, but are there any other Mardu shenanigans I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Chain of Smog + Magecraft Treasure Dwarf and/or Bomberman/LED/Breach.

If Dockside = 6 then it also goes infinite with Worthy Cause

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Extus + Dockside + Worthy Cause is a unique combo for that commander.

Darkblast and Street Wraith are useful in that deck as well.

Having white lets you play silence effects to protect some traditionally vulnerable combos like Worldgorger Dragon reanimate loops, Chain of Smog + Stormkiln Artist, or Bomberman combos.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

TBH, I'd been looking to make my Mardu Aristocrats as close to cEDH as I could, so I'm definitely interested in seeing what a standard version of this kind of deck would look like. Well, if there even is such a thing as a "standard version", anyway.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Very nice! Thanks!

The only Mardu I've played were Edgar Markov and Zurgo Helmsmasher, and Extus is a somewhat different strategy than either of them. In a good way, though

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Aniodia posted:

TBH, I'd been looking to make my Mardu Aristocrats as close to cEDH as I could, so I'm definitely interested in seeing what a standard version of this kind of deck would look like. Well, if there even is such a thing as a "standard version", anyway.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/e5t0_D3I00a-FOrXsA-aUQ

My decklist is perhaps a tad unique in that I’m squeezing in some equipment to better leverage Extus’s Double Strike in the event of stax heavy pods, and I’m specifically not running other legendary creatures so his magecraft never “misses”, so while there may be more optimized cEDH lists, I can’t imagine it would be more than 5-6 cards different.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Aniodia posted:

A lot of the cEDH Mardu decks are turbo naus builds. I don't have my list I was messing with anymore, but here are two that are very similar. Those plus Bust's can give you some good starting points.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/WQUC_soKSkWAqh3lyoucDw

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/IdEiZ4UPfkG3dpCSnJ8EoQ

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, the access points for cEDH are basically Oracle, Dockside, Breach, and Ad Nauseum. This deck, while lacking the strength of U countermagic or green’s ramp and flexibility, you still have access to all the most powerful spells in the format and dockside is tied for first most powerful creature.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
stupid trick for the new set: Minsc turns creatures into giants with his ability; realm-cloaked giant's adventure doesn't kill giants; and if you have any anthem out you can do x=0 on minsc's ability and your creatures will remain alive from the bonus toughness it gives. thus, if you have those three things you can wrath the board while leaving your own stuff alive.

any idiot with krosan grip can ruin your day if you try this but it would still be really funny to pull off

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

President Ark posted:

any idiot with krosan grip can ruin your day if you try this but it would still be really funny to pull off

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I don't know if I'm just ringing a bell that has been rung, but last night I was catching up a few pages back and was reading about wanting to do a bear based commander deck, and this PROBABLY was already pointed out, but Graham from LRR did this on Game Knights a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elOZ2EnWlCM

If it's a flat out repeat of the obvious, I apologize, and will note that I'm trying to play some Commander for the first time at one of my local LGS where they described the scene as "Several pods with Competitive EDH" and I'm trying to bring a budget Oona deck that I have been making since the first commander decks came out and I was playing 1v1 EDH with a buddy.

I expect to get curb stomped a bit, like I did when I played at a convention "For fun" and the other two guys ( Besides my buddy ) just targeted me out the gate and killed me, leaving me without a game for ~ 2 hours.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Good luck! There are a few cheapish packages that you can toss into Oona (dramatic scepter, consult Oracle) and then just slam the rest full of low mana cost interaction and tutors.

Also it bears repeating that regardless of deck power levels, playing with dicks can ruin a game.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The upcoming hot combo seems to be using Book of Exalted Deeds to put a counter on Faceless Haven, so you can't lose unless your opponents are playing land destruction, or they kill Haven that turn while it's a creature.

Is it op? Nah, it takes 9 mana to do it all on the same turn, six white and 3 snow, and doesn't win you the game.

It is dumb and funny if you can pull it off? Yeah, I think so.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Is it op? Nah

Sorry, too busy maindecking shittons of land destruction, brb

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Couldn't you do that much more cheaply with Mutavault?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The upcoming hot combo seems to be using Book of Exalted Deeds to put a counter on Faceless Haven, so you can't lose unless your opponents are playing land destruction, or they kill Haven that turn while it's a creature.

Is it op? Nah, it takes 9 mana to do it all on the same turn, six white and 3 snow, and doesn't win you the game.

It is dumb and funny if you can pull it off? Yeah, I think so.

This is not the Future Standard thread.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Voyager I posted:

Couldn't you do that much more cheaply with Mutavault?

Or better with ensoul artifact and darksteel citadel

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Silhouette posted:

Or better with ensoul artifact and darksteel citadel

What do you think that does?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Aranan posted:

Good luck! There are a few cheapish packages that you can toss into Oona (dramatic scepter, consult Oracle) and then just slam the rest full of low mana cost interaction and tutors.

Also it bears repeating that regardless of deck power levels, playing with dicks can ruin a game.

Thanks. I'm looking at my list after seeing the command zone commander template video and really taking a moment to address my Timmy bullshit.

There are a lot of "this is neat" like Nirkhana Revenent and such that is getting pulled. I do not have nearly enough ramp.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Sol Ring
Fellwar Stone
Dimir Signet
Arcane Signet
Talisman of Dominance
Everflowing Chalice
(and the more expensive choices if you have the $ and/or proxies: Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Mox Diamond, Jeweled Lotus, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
What does this do? It sounds like platinum angel, and I didn't understand how this used for best effect either?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

cosmicjim posted:

What does this do? It sounds like platinum angel, and I didn't understand how this used for best effect either?

You can target your manland while it's a creature, get the "You can't lose/Opponent can't win" ability on it, then when it de-animates, it's very hard to remove, as a land, specifically in Future Standard, Arena, Best-of-One. That effect isn't actually very good on a creature, especially in a format with good removal, or sideboards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's also pretty bad in commander because there are lots of ways to kill lands.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's also pretty bad in commander because there are lots of ways to kill lands.

A lot of people play with groups where they don't use land destruction because it "feels bad" but I would def start running some if this is actually a combo people start using

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That new overloadable land destruction that kills snow or colorless producers has found a home in my black decks

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

A lot of people play with groups where they don't use land destruction because it "feels bad" but I would def start running some if this is actually a combo people start using

Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22 in that way. It's only good when there isn't land destruction, but running it guarantees that the other players will start packing land destruction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You don't need to be packing Strip Mine, per se. Anything that removes (destroy/exile/bounce/top deck) "a permanent" works.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

You don't need to be packing Strip Mine, per se. Anything that removes (destroy/exile/bounce/top deck) "a permanent" works.

Acidic Slime, Generous Gift, Beast Within - all some of the most played cards in the format. The combo is good to strong in casual, but even casual decks pack answers to it already.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Yeah, I generally don't pack dedicated land destruction, but at least three of my decks have the capability of tutoring and/or recurring Acidic Slime, for example. I probably do have one or two decks that might scoop to it in 1-on-1, but still, seems a pretty fragile combo for a multiplayer format.

e:fb on acidic slime

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Also cyclonic rift, or Assassin's Trophy. So a lot of commonly played cards will deal wtih this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pseudanonymous posted:

Also cyclonic rift, or Assassin's Trophy. So a lot of commonly played cards will deal wtih this.

Notable non-land sweeper Cyclonic Rift?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

Notable non-land sweeper Cyclonic Rift?

Oh, my bad, I thought I checked it but I wasn't paying enough attention.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I guess our group was fortunate in that

(a) we started playing in 2018 with the precon, and the Lord Windgrace deck includes Decimate
(b) one person really loves the transforming legendary lands

So packing at least one piece of targeted land removal was normalised from the start and the necessity of it was frequently restated

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/adventures-in-the-forgotten-realms-commander-precon-decklists

D&D precon deck lists

I always grew up playing with stone rains and fissures and choking sands and strip mines and Armageddons, and jokulhaups to blow up lands and playing in a group that gets butthurt about it always irked me.

If you're gonna have this big rear end ramp machine then hell yes I'm going to try and slow your rear end down by getting rid of some if not all your lands so I can have a chance at winning! :colbert:

New I Hate Your Deck episode with Kyle Hill and The Proff. The longer this video goes I think the more drunk everyone gets, and Prof just starts cursing up a storm, and the game ends when everyone is just "gently caress it" it's the most realistic game of commander I've seen on youtube.

https://youtu.be/bHEVO4d8tj4

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 9, 2021

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

That's a surprisingly good mana base compared to past commander decks

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Aranan posted:

Sol Ring
Fellwar Stone
Dimir Signet
Arcane Signet
Talisman of Dominance
Everflowing Chalice
(and the more expensive choices if you have the $ and/or proxies: Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Mox Diamond, Jeweled Lotus, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal).

I actually super appreciate the list of suggestions. I want a grim monolith, especially since it pairs with infinite mama combos for Oona, but don't think I'm dropping that cash...yet.

The cheap options I think I need to pull out of my bulk box I've been organizing. Didn't even think of silly stuff like Dimir signit.

I have to read up on the lists, but thinking I may just order the set of all realms commanders precons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if the Commander decks will come with a full suite of dice considering the new cards run the gamut of them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Rakdos precon is showing cards that require a d10 to roll. I didn't even know they loving made those. Hopefully with that deck a d10 comes with it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jiro posted:

The Rakdos precon is showing cards that require a d10 to roll. I didn't even know they loving made those. Hopefully with that deck a d10 comes with it.

The precons have d4, d6, d10, and d12 from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Broke: Using 2 D20 to track your life total
Woke: Using 2 D10 to track your life total