Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Oops! If MS's own, nearly-new Surfaces can't actually run win11 without heavy performance problems, it's gonna suck for them.
Top of the line/newest/still being sold 4000$ Surface Studio 2 has 7th gen Intel cpu and so does not support Windows 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

Top of the line/newest/still being sold 4000$ Surface Studio 2 has 7th gen Intel cpu and so does not support Windows 11.

I had to look this up.

This computer has a 7th Gen HQ part in it, unimpressive everything else in unupgradable hardware, and is asking 3.5k for the lowest end part. That display better be the thing of dreams, or that product is absolutely insane.

Why don't they just sell that as a Display? It actually seems really sick. $2800~ sick? Maybe to the right creative pro - I'm not exactly the target for that, but to attach it exclusively to a lovely laptop seems like an enormous throw.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 2, 2021

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
I enabled some form of Hyper-V on windows 10 Pro to use WSL2. It was very convenient, but I disabled it because it would roast me noots if I played videos in Firefox. This is an 8th gen laptop CPU. Forcing nut roasting mode on is not welcome t:mad:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The firmware TPM situation makes me nervous. The Asus bios has a big warning that pops up when you enable it, telling you that if you ever disable it you will lose all the encryption keys and poo poo that it holds. So what happens if you have to do a factory reset on your bios? Or if you swap hardware? Are people gonna accidentally nuke their windows install when loading optimized defaults and forgetting about the TPM setting?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Why don't they just sell that as a Display?

Because apple has displayed, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that a fool and his money soon part. (Personally I think this whole TPM thing is overblown and the Studio along with a lot more PCs will in fact support 11 if for no other reason than MS caves to the outrage about it)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The firmware TPM situation makes me nervous. The Asus bios has a big warning that pops up when you enable it, telling you that if you ever disable it you will lose all the encryption keys and poo poo that it holds. So what happens if you have to do a factory reset on your bios? Or if you swap hardware? Are people gonna accidentally nuke their windows install when loading optimized defaults and forgetting about the TPM setting?

1. The security keys themselves are stored in a tiny chunk of non-volatile memory inside the CPU itself. So they are immune to normal bios clear, load settings, or whatnot.

2. If you are using TPM-based security like Bitlocker, you should always generate a backup key (bitlocker prompts you to do this when you turn it on) and save it somewhere. Especially in the passwordless MS future vision where all your stuff is secured via hardware that can fail, you need that.

3. TPM being required doesn't mean that it will also be mandatory to encrypt your whole install. Probably we will be able to continue to use win11 in the same way 10 -- a regular password login to sign in to your account and bitlocker secured via password if you want to encrypt a HD partition. At least, as long as you have Pro and can choose things like "no MS account".

3a. It could also be that MS will also be using TPM to encrypt the boot volume, a way that's transparent to the user so you don't even really know it's there. Between that and secure boot it could mean that the boot volume is always secure against malware*, giving the OS a sort of high ground advantage? Sounds cool but this is 100% hypothetical rear end-pulling, IDK enough to know if that is even possible. Anyways in that case the TPM key doesn't really matter -- if you lose it, you just need to do a repair and have the installer re-create the boot volume.

*malware could erase the boot volume, but it couldn't infect it.

4. All that said, I have no idea what happens if your bios is reset to defaults while the pseudo-TPM has keys stored in it, and the default is that pseudo-TPM is turned off. Probably it's smart enough to recognize that circumstance, and stays turned on? I feel like they must have thought about that. Maybe that "off" is more like "off unless the TPM has existing data, in which case on".

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only time I've really run into Microsoft secure recovery stuff is on a Windows tablet I own that I basically don't use anymore, and after needing to repair Windows it needed a decryption key. I can't remember if Bitlocker was involved or not, but having the tablet tied to a Microsoft online account actually made it fairly simple if annoying - I log into that account on one computer, then type the decryption key on the tablet manually. It wasn't that bad, but I'm also a nerd with multiple computers and an understanding of this kind of stuff.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Ok, a good article explaining the CPU requirements: It's about a single feature called mode based execution control that did not get added until Intel Core 7th and AMD Zen 2. It has big performance impact on the VM-based security feature.

To whit what others are saying: wish this was laid out more clearly instead of having to be dragged out of the Security lead by a journalist, but it does shed some more light on it.

ClockTrousers
Dec 8, 2004
Tried this out for a bit the other day. I cannot figure out how to "ungroup" task bar items so that they're not stacked and so that the captions come back. This is a serious showstopper for any and all workflows that I have. This "combine everything into an ambiguous icon" concept that's been used in Mac/Unity/whatever for the last few years is just not a productive UI for people who are always running a bunch of stuff. I don't want to be on a 5 minute hunt every time I go searching for a window.

I don't know what the hell MS is doing or why they feel the need to copy user interface designs that just aren't all that good in the first place. Windows is still meant to be a productivity platform.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The user interface is not done at all. Release is in 2021 after all.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Partitioned off another part of my SSD and did a fresh Win10 install + upgrade on it. Agree that it so far just feels mostly like a new skin for Windows, and breaking 25 years of muscle memory on where the start menu is. Everything carried over seamlessly during the upgrade (the few things I had setup on the fresh install) which was pretty slick, and the only thing that doesn't seem to work for me at this point is Steam, although it works just fine on my Win10 partition.

This is on an XPS 15 laptop, because I am afraid to turn on secure boot on my desktop. Seems to be a common problem with gigabyte mobos online where it is actually bricking the motherboard when people enable it for some reason. I'll hold off for now.

edit: and steam magically works the next day. weird.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 3, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
good news for third party UXtheme touchers: cleodesktop, arguably one of the most prolific and best theme makers, just released their first theme for the Windows 11 insider build, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that not much has changed under the hood (yet anyway, still a long way to go to RTM) and it should hopefully be trivial to make the more popular skins/mods work on Win11

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, are taskbar pinned apps still a thing, and if they are, are they still .lnk files placed in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar?

They're either unchanged from that, placed in a less anachronistic location, or something more complicated has happened to these sorts of things for no reason. Maybe I ask this as an indicator of where W11's head is at, how modernized and truly separated from previous versions of Windows it really is.

Background, if you care: I like to change the icons of pinned apps, and editing the shortcuts allows this. They still revert to the application's default icon when run, but when sitting idle, they can be any icon you like. I take my customization in Windows where I can get it.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, are taskbar pinned apps still a thing, and if they are, are they still .lnk files placed in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar?

They're either unchanged from that, placed in a less anachronistic location, or something more complicated has happened to these sorts of things for no reason. Maybe I ask this as an indicator of where W11's head is at, how modernized and truly separated from previous versions of Windows it really is.

Background, if you care: I like to change the icons of pinned apps, and editing the shortcuts allows this. They still revert to the application's default icon when run, but when sitting idle, they can be any icon you like. I take my customization in Windows where I can get it.

Yep, they're still there.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Windows store apps, including Windows Terminal, do not show up in that folder. That's probably the same as Win10 though, I never checked.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

For Win10, there's an open-source program TileIconifier that can change the icon & background color of pinned tiles, or even replace it with a custom image. Changes are totally persistent. (Though apps that already have a tile defined tend to revert when they update themselves.)

Still doesn't work with WinStore / UWP apps, but way better than twiddling the icons like you're doing.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Mildly irritating that you can't just right click anywhere on the taskbar to get a menu with task manager anymore, you have to right click on the Windows icon to get the Win+X menu. Just a headsup for anyone else who has to reprogram their muscle memory whilst computer janitoring

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

that's as bad as when google made it so "reopen closed tab" no longer appears on tab right click menu, forcing you to mouse over to some empty space in the title bar first.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doccykins posted:

Mildly irritating that you can't just right click anywhere on the taskbar to get a menu with task manager anymore, you have to right click on the Windows icon to get the Win+X menu. Just a headsup for anyone else who has to reprogram their muscle memory whilst computer janitoring

Ctrl+shift+esc has been how I open Task Manager since that shortcut became a thing.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Ctrl+shift+esc has been how I open Task Manager since that shortcut became a thing.

Natively yes, in an RDP session not so much!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doccykins posted:

Natively yes, in an RDP session not so much!

Ah, true, didn't think of remote sessions.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

ClockTrousers posted:

Tried this out for a bit the other day. I cannot figure out how to "ungroup" task bar items so that they're not stacked and so that the captions come back.
So far, this isn't possible. Microsoft has to cave over it at some point though, because it's really essential for lots of people.[/quote]

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its terrible capitulating to dingbats who want things to be like macos anyway, but worse again is icons are either there once, if no running instances, or twice, if there are any number of instances. If its going to be grouped (yes, they had better cave on this) then there should only be one copy of it sitting there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

codo27 posted:

Its terrible capitulating to dingbats who want things to be like macos anyway, but worse again is icons are either there once, if no running instances, or twice, if there are any number of instances. If its going to be grouped (yes, they had better cave on this) then there should only be one copy of it sitting there.

wait what

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So here's the taskbar with edge open.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's definitely a bug, it doesn't happen on my end.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hooah posted:

Does CTRL+ALT+DEL not work anymore? I’ve used it from Win3.11. Win11 has some really non-Windows UI changes that if I wanted it to be a Mac I would’ve bought a Goddamn Mac.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

DerekSmartymans posted:

Does CTRL+ALT+DEL not work anymore? I’ve used it from Win3.11. Win11 has some really non-Windows UI changes that if I wanted it to be a Mac I would’ve bought a Goddamn Mac.

ctrl+alt+delete always works, ctrl+shift+esc isn't a hardware interrupt so if your PC is really locked up it might not open task manager

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Buff Hardback posted:

ctrl+alt+delete always works, ctrl+shift+esc isn't a hardware interrupt so if your PC is really locked up it might not open task manager

Thanks, man. I didn’t know why it worked, just that until a very short time ago, it was the only way to bring up TM. Now (Win10) I can right-click the taskbar and it’s an option, but I got a bit worried for about ten minutes that I shouldn’t do it anymore because I could damage something.
Hell I didn’t know about WIN+R until last week.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Sort of. It brings up a screen where you can choose task manager, lock, sign out, or switch user, but ctrl+shift+esc directly opens the task manager.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hooah posted:

Sort of. It brings up a screen where you can choose task manager, lock, sign out, or switch user, but ctrl+shift+esc directly opens the task manager.

Ok. To be honest I’ve never in 46 years “needed” to bring up TM as quickly as that! I thought adding a mouse click on the task bar was clever. All my DOS cmd voodoo jumped ship during Win98. And of course the keyboard shortcuts went with it :ssh:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Ok. To be honest I’ve never in 46 years “needed” to bring up TM as quickly as that! I thought adding a mouse click on the task bar was clever. All my DOS cmd voodoo jumped ship during Win98. And of course the keyboard shortcuts went with it :ssh:

Well yeah, I don't need to, but I'm lazy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't believe that ctrl+alt+del does anything special at the hardware level on modern PCs, where "modern" dates back to the late 90s and the switch from 16 IRQs to APIC. So a long time. (It's not technically wrong to say that ctrl+alt+del generates a hardware interrupt, but does every other key.)

Ctrl+alt+del will sometimes work when other things (ctrl+alt+esc, other shortcuts) fail. The part of the OS that responds to it is very low-level and has max priority. But it doesn't always work. If the OS crashes hard enough, you can slam three finger salutes forever and get nothing. The OS isn't listening to the keyboard anymore, and ctrl+alt+del are just keys.

Personally, ever since the switch to multi-core CPUs, I hardly ever find ctrl-alt-del to be that useful. Back in the 2000s, the fact that it took priority over everything was great because otherwise a runaway program could jam your system. But these days? I have yet to see a process that can be fixed by task manager generate enough load to prevent me from opening task manager in other ways.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

that's as bad as when google made it so "reopen closed tab" no longer appears on tab right click menu, forcing you to mouse over to some empty space in the title bar first.

This was and is one of the stupider UI things they have done with Chrome. I've been shifting more and more of my browsing to Firefox because Chrome has gotten progressively worse over time.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Hell I thought the Windows key on a standard keyboard was just to open the start menu.

I actually use the “run” program a few times a day. When y’all said “Win+R” I had to see others and there is like a billion webpages on the shortcuts! How have I been online since before the www and never saw any of this? gently caress I’m older than DOS!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Hell I thought the Windows key on a standard keyboard was just to open the start menu.

I actually use the “run” program a few times a day. When y’all said “Win+R” I had to see others and there is like a billion webpages on the shortcuts! How have I been online since before the www and never saw any of this? gently caress I’m older than DOS!

Windows key shortcuts are handy. I recently switched to a wireless keyboard that doesn't have a PrtScrn button, and found Win + Shift + S will launch Snip or whatever Windows 10 is calling their screenshot utility. I went ahead and bound the same thing for screenshots in Linux, and it's fine.

I also have a shortcut to Task Manager on my desktop.

I wonder if Windows is going to try to make it so you need to use Windows Hello or whatever the gently caress it is to take a screenshot for Windows 11.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Windows key shortcuts are handy. I recently switched to a wireless keyboard that doesn't have a PrtScrn button, and found Win + Shift + S will launch Snip or whatever Windows 10 is calling their screenshot utility. I went ahead and bound the same thing for screenshots in Linux, and it's fine.

I also have a shortcut to Task Manager on my desktop.

I wonder if Windows is going to try to make it so you need to use Windows Hello or whatever the gently caress it is to take a screenshot for Windows 11.
Under accessibility/ease of access you can remap snip to prtscrn.

Powertoys has a feature that displays like every windows key command if you hold it for 2 seconds.

Keyboard shortcuts make me a wizard to zoomers and olds.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Under accessibility/ease of access you can remap snip to prtscrn.

Powertoys has a feature that displays like every windows key command if you hold it for 2 seconds.

Keyboard shortcuts make me a wizard to zoomers and olds.

This keyboard simply doesn't have a PrtScrn key. Adopting the Windows key combo and then mapping the same thing in Linux was the lowest-effort solution.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Win+; (character picker) is a great new feature for someone used to Mac OS X, even if it's a little half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I figured out this keyboard has function keys like a laptop and Fn + Insert also triggers PrtScrn. The tiny little icon looked like one of those useless Home buttons, but I guess it is supposed to be a camera. Having redundant hotkeys isn't a bad thing, though.