Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I haven’t done the third semester yet but Maruki being the final “villain” makes a lot of sense and I like that it was heavily built towards through his confidant and the other conversations he had with the Phantom Thieves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I kinda really loving hate how Ryuuji doesn't apologize to Mona for being a huge rear end in a top hat, what the gently caress. That scene kinda pissed me off.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

S.J. posted:

So I kinda really loving hate how Ryuuji doesn't apologize to Mona for being a huge rear end in a top hat, what the gently caress. That scene kinda pissed me off.

Mona never apologizes to Ryuji either. Mona dishes out the trash talk but can't hack it when Ryuji stops just letting Mona call him a loving moron and pushes back

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

S.J. posted:

Morgana's spent the entire game making GBS threads on Ryuji for no actual reason, he can go gently caress himself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ultimately I think it all works out in the end. While neither of them apologize directly to the other, the scenes towards the end of Okumura's Palace show them supporting one another. I think people get hung up on the lack of a direct, spoken apology but it's clear they've both been able to move on by the end of that arc. It's not handled all that well, granted, but I don't think it's terrible, either.

The anime handles it differently, for what it's worth. In the anime's version of that scene, Ryuji does give Mona a heartfelt apology.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
who the hell defends the cat

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mona deserves worse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rank ten for Morgana should've been sending him to the knackers

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Morgana when Ann isn't in the room.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Morgana when Ann isn't in the room.

Or when I don't got poo poo to do and he wants me to go to bed.*

*SO glad this mostly got addressed in Royal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Doing my best to keep up with Persona 5 Royal foodposting, it's been a busy month already!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gamefood, July Edition: The Return of "Joker's Kitchen"

Persona 5 Royal has already been worth the sticker price when like half the new content is food-related. For context:

Kasumi's bento box has chicken, egg, beans, and brown rice.

Chicken and egg made me think of oyakodon, but the way the egg is in that bowl doesn't travel and this is bento, so instead this was my reference: Soboro Don (Ground Chicken Bowl) 三色そぼろ丼

Chicken was one finely diced chicken thigh marinated in 2tsp mirin, 2tsp soy sauce, 2tsp sake, and a dash of dashi powder. I didn't include sugar because I forgot because the sauce has sugar in it already so it worked out perfectly. The marinade also had a mixture of 1tsp water + 1tsp cornstarch to "velvet" and improve texture. Quickly sauted the chicken, and for the "spicy Megido sauce" I splashed in sriracha to coat on low heat, plus a bit more tossed in right before plating.

Kasumi's recipe has curry powder in literally everything (comedy amirite) but I limited myself to throwing in a dash of it in the chicken, and topping with Japanese seven-spice for the look.

One egg, scrambled. I also put in water + cornstarch for texture (this has been a consistent "power move"). I used the "chopstick rake" to break it up in the pan into crumbly pieces.

The beans were edamame. I also added a few kimchi radish cubes for visual decoration (also they're good).

I am now eating watermelon for dessert

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Joker's Kitchen, Tanabata Edition

As Persona 5 helpfully reminds us, today is Tanabata, so I thought I would make cold somen, as is tradition. A dish that I didn't have to stand over while cooking and would be eaten completely cold also sounded kinda nice because it's pretty hot here lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIxX0YfEFE
Kenji Lopez-Alt made a video on this, so I just followed his method, though I followed the suggestion here to add some cucumber. I also had spinach on hand so I blanched that with the noodles. I couldn't find somen so I used soba instead (thin noodles for this one).

I completed the meal with some other cool/cold additions, edamame and sushi (store-bought, not pictured). The dipping sauce is dashi stock, soy sauce, and mirin, with sliced green onion (very important!). Both the sauce and noodles are chilled with ice cubes.

I thought this turned out really well! I almost forgot the sliced green onion, which would have been tragic because it adds so much. The motion of dipping the noodles will dredge up bits of green onion that bring up droplets of the sauce with them, which is incredibly satisfying.

Dessert was watermelon slices

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Mona never apologizes to Ryuji either. Mona dishes out the trash talk but can't hack it when Ryuji stops just letting Mona call him a loving moron and pushes back

This.

And I feel P5 just missed on both the final bosses and it was near misses. There weren't enough connections to the human and they should have done much much more to rub in that the Grail was Fake Igor

The worst final boss fight on the other hand is P3's

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
P3's final battle theme is very good though so presumably that counts for something.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

P3's final battle theme is very good though so presumably that counts for something.

For story and music reasons, P2's and P3's are the only Persona final bosses I've liked.

If Persona 4 had ended with Ameno-sagiri at least it could have gone out on great music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P3's got a great final theme and the whole the Tarot Reveals All thing. Really sick

P4's final fight has a worse theme, and is approximately a million hours long with zero chance you die.
P5's is cool, but they needed to not reuse Rivers so much

P1 ps1 has a really cool theme for Pandora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUjcsNDVCLc&t=65s

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Persona 3's final boss feels like exactly the kind of endurance test that you would put at the end of a 90 hour game about the impending end of the world and the futility of resistance

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My day 1 mod for P5 on PC is replacing Rivers with It Has To Be This Way for the Shido fight.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

My day 1 mod for P5 on PC is replacing Rivers with It Has To Be This Way for the Shido fight.

Nah, Collective Consciousness fits him way better.

It Has To Be This Way would fit Akechi though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only problem with the P3 final boss is that it can occasionally charm someone and have that person Diarahan them, which is annoying and sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You shouldn't have diarahan in P3 at all. Diarama is half the cost and heals enough. If you need a full heal use a bead

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't think you get to choose what your allies skills are in base P3. They overwrite them automatically.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I don't think you get to choose what your allies skills are in base P3. They overwrite them automatically.

Looks like you're right. I thought they'd changed it in FES. Oh well just get lucky

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Alacron posted:

You use Collective Consciousness for when he’s in his big dumb vehicle and then It Has To Be This Way when he gets out and flexes his shirt off

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember in FES/P3P saving a Narcissus in the compendium before it hit the last level so I could farm four of the accessories that null charm and just put them on my whole team

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alacron posted:

Akechi gets The Only Thing I Know Is Real.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Today was a "Fusion episode" day, I was just gonna go to the Velvet Room to get a Temperance persona and ended up doing 5 ranks of Strength requests lol, I thought I had a lot of money but doing that + unlocking Special Treatment looks like it's gonna get pricey

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hellioning posted:

Mona deserves worse.

It's almost tempting to date Ann just to spite the fedora tipping little dink.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

IIRC in P4G, you could romance Marie in addition to whoever else you pick and not get guilt-tripped for it on Valentine's day as she has completely separate scenes and is not part of the rejection section.

Does P5/R have any confidants who aren't part of the 'beat Joker up' scene on Valentine's day if you choose to romance them?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

anakha posted:

IIRC in P4G, you could romance Marie in addition to whoever else you pick and not get guilt-tripped for it on Valentine's day as she has completely separate scenes and is not part of the rejection section.

Does P5/R have any confidants who aren't part of the 'beat Joker up' scene on Valentine's day if you choose to romance them?

No :getin:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cheating is bad actually.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Name one situation where dating multiple people simultaneously has resulted in a bad outcome.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well there was the one guy who got arrested for it.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Finally got around to beating P5R after beating P5 a few years ago and really liked the changes and additions. Making baton pass a core mechanic and making guns and technicals a lot more useful made the combat feel a lot more fun to me.

Traits on personas are also a nice addition although getting Will of the Sword on both my Yoshitsune and Lucifer prior to doing the eighth palace completely trivialized the game at that point lol

I'm also happy Akechi got a real confidant and wow they really turned up the homoerotic tension between him and Joker.

Really liked the third semester story content since it had an actually interesting antagonist and also had plenty of scenes setting it up throughout the game.

Also wow in the "happy" ending seeing Akechi actually be a pleasant boy instead faking it was really unsettling. It's clear that not everyone's wishes can actually be granted and some people have to lose out in favor of others if they conflict.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cnidaria posted:

Traits on personas are also a nice addition although getting Will of the Sword on both my Yoshitsune and Lucifer prior to doing the eighth palace completely trivialized the game at that point lol
Let's be honest, fusing Yoshitsune to begin with was going to trivialize the game, trait or not.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Regarding the p5r antagonist they could have made him a lot more morally ambiguous than they actually did, but it is made pretty clear that he has no qualms with killing overwriting the brain of anybody who refuses to submit to his grand design, and he even says straight out to Rumi that "my beloved is dead" when he does it to her.

Also it's depressing that the authors found it easier to imagine a world with planetary scale reality bending god powers than to imagine a world without wage labor or homelessness but that's a topic that has been beaten to death already. But yeah paradise is characterized by the stock market endlessly going up and the more the stock market goes up the more paradiser it is.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Also it's depressing that the authors found it easier to imagine a world with planetary scale reality bending god powers than to imagine a world without wage labor or homelessness but that's a topic that has been beaten to death already. But yeah paradise is characterized by the stock market endlessly going up and the more the stock market goes up the more paradiser it is.[/spoiler]

I guess it depends on how much credit you want to give the writers but that’s the whole point isn’t it? Maruki doesn’t create actual paradise and they’re not trying to show that. He creates what he thinks the perfect world is (or what he thinks people want it to be). The fact that homelessness still exists in that world shows the limits of his imagination, not the writers’.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Re: Ryuji/Morgana, they do show them a bit closer in Strikers, which is nice.

The two of them basically teaming up to curse a boss out is A+.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Letting Ryuju say gently caress was 100% the highlight of Strikers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DanielCross posted:

Letting Ryuju say gently caress was 100% the highlight of Strikers.

It's hard to pinpoint a single highlight, because there are so many:

SEND THE EFFIN' THING BACK!
We just hate the police, that's all.
Monster cat!
etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mona mostly sucks and deserves to get poo poo on by Ryuji. At least he doesn't suck as much as Teddy does later in p4.

And yeah Shido is Armstrong minus most things that makes Armstrong fun and memorable. At least his dungeon gets the best music and the fight is good.

P5R ending It really is a shame that the second fight with Maruki isn't a proper fight. You can't have the final boss power up and then just make it a gimmick fight where you have to survive for a few turns. Much like the first part of the boss in Futabas palace I hate the "oh no he/she's too strong we have to do something" when I am winning the fight already. It's fine if a palace boss makes me heal often. Let fights be a tiny bit challenging.