Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

FBS posted:

"The bike is 41 years old and this type of Honda is becoming more and more collectable.

1980 Vintage Honda CB650 Custom - $3,850

"LIKE NEW"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Literally probably the nicest 650 custom in existence, still only worth $1200. Not bad bikes, just no demand for 80's bikes yet (maybe never).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That was my first road bike, a cb650 custom

It was a very well built and reliable motorcycle, but even by Honda standards was terminally, TERMINALLY boring.

It has zero powerband. It just revved from idle all the way to redline and felt exactly the same. It wasn’t fast, it wasn’t slow, it was the very definition of “riding appliance”.

That probably wasn’t a bad thing for my first street bike though.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
They're pretty cool for the UK if you're going for an inexpensive runaround, they're exempt from road tax and MOT, and the insurance will be dirt cheap

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Martytoof posted:

I just googled “dainese biker” and picked a random photo but it looks like I picked correctly :)

Here's a new one for ya

I call it 'Ride Home From Cottaging'

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mister Speaker posted:

Huh. I learned a new word today.

btw that's from Google, not even Urban Dictionary.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Here's a new one for ya

Lookin about as Dainese as I want to be :cool:

What pants are those?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure of the model, will check for you when I get home. I got them relatively cheap at the annual motorcycle expo near the airport - I'm sure you've been before but if you haven't, get down there, it's full of great gear deals and all sorts of hilarious biker-adjacent kitsch like switchblades and Da Share Z0ne shirts.

Strife posted:

Huh. I learned a new word today.

Oh yeah that was intentional. I gather there are a few UK goons ITT. A British friend enlightened me on the term last year when I inadvertently used it in conversation and I've been doing it intentionally ever since. Can't wait til the Drum & Bass scene starts up again so I can say it in front of some UK headliners.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I went a bunch before the plague. Definitely intend to go back once they're open again :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It was a very well built and reliable motorcycle, but even by Honda standards was terminally, TERMINALLY boring.

It has zero powerband. It just revved from idle all the way to redline and felt exactly the same. It wasn’t fast, it wasn’t slow, it was the very definition of “riding appliance”.

The first time I rode one, the engine felt like smelling something from your childhood, just uncannily familiar. I spent the whole ride trying to figure it out: the torque curve, crank inertia and throttle response is exactly like a carbureted toyota 4AFE.

E: words

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 9, 2021

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Now I'm freaking out that my bike is a boring Honda since it seems sorted.

:ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are some that will tell you that all Hondas are boring in their perfection.

Listen not to them

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I really like the look of the cb650r, is that also a boring honda?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here, a comprehensive list of i4 Honda's that aren't terminally boring:

Fireblade 9xx
Cbr250 (revs to 18k)
Cb/cbr400/cb1 (revs to 16k)
Cb1000r (designed in italy)
Cb1300
X11
X12

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You spelled Bandit 600 wrong.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

You spelled Bandit 600 wrong.

Whoa no need to throw insults around we're just having a conversation

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah same problem with the bandit 600 motor I’d imagine. Transplanting the engine from the worst katana is never a good idea

Thankfully the 1200 exists to right all the wrongs of the 600

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How do y'all deal with the people in cars who want to be "nice" and let you pass by moving over to the shoulder?

The times I've been able to take advantage of their generosity are far outweighed by the times I didn't feel comfortable passing because I couldn't see far enough ahead to know what was oncoming, and then I end up passing a minute later once they've gotten fed up and are back in the middle of the lane

I swear, if I could staple a big neon sign to my windscreen that said "I can pass you any time I like, please just drive normally thanks" I would do that

But backwards, obviously, like ECNALUBMA

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Only time I've had that happen was up north on a winding two lane road with solid yellow. I gladly passed and tootled the driver melodiously in appreciation. They had a big trailer so I was more than happy to be passed them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
don't let other people make driving decisions for you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

How do y'all deal with the people in cars who want to be "nice" and let you pass by moving over to the shoulder?

The times I've been able to take advantage of their generosity are far outweighed by the times I didn't feel comfortable passing because I couldn't see far enough ahead to know what was oncoming, and then I end up passing a minute later once they've gotten fed up and are back in the middle of the lane

I swear, if I could staple a big neon sign to my windscreen that said "I can pass you any time I like, please just drive normally thanks" I would do that

But backwards, obviously, like ECNALUBMA

If you figure this out let me know, I still have no idea what to do with those people.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Only time I've had that happen was up north on a winding two lane road with solid yellow. I gladly passed and tootled the driver melodiously in appreciation. They had a big trailer so I was more than happy to be passed them.
:same:

They're just being nice and letting you let 'er rip. Smile and wave.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Razzled posted:

Yeah this. Unless they start slowing down a ton, just ignore them, or even just back off yourself. I might wave my left hand "no thank you" but otherwise I'll pass when I feel it's safe to do so.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they move over at a place that's appropriate for me to pass -- like it's a straight road, or there's a shoulder pullout that they use -- I'll make the pass and give them a wave or a couple of melodious tootles.

More frequently they will do some dumb poo poo like slow down without moving over and try to wave me past on a blind turn. In those cases I will avoid doing the suicidal thing and just hang back until they get frustrated and speed back up. Morons.

The worst though is when you get someone who slows down to a crawl in the corners, realizes you're right behind them, and speeds back up on every straight like "I'm helping!!!" :downs: Like drat just hold it off for literally two seconds after the sight lines open up. That's all it takes for me to pass and then you can be a turtle as much as you want. Ugh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

If you figure this out let me know, I still have no idea what to do with those people.

Hang back and put your left (right for people who drive on the wrong side) indicator on?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I was behind someone driving like a lost dipshit one time pull over to be polite and let me pass, but they pulled over right in front of my driveway and just made it weird for all of us.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Well yeah, obviously. It's just frustrating.

Had this driven in once again a couple weeks ago, person in front of me did the "I'm helping" thing going into a blind right hand, and against my better judgement I started to take them up on it. No sooner did I start to roll on the throttle than an oncoming car appeared and I immediately dropped back.

And I'm not going to pass them in the lane no matter how much room they leave me, all I need is for the driver to see some broken glass on the shoulder and decide to swerve to save their tires

(On the much rarer occasions where someone's actually pulled over and come to a near or total stop, I'll wave exuberantly.)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if i don't ignore them straight up i'll usually give them the unenthusiastic "dust brushing off" motion

and then wheelie past them on the next clear straightaway :getin:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Love it when the person across from me who got to the 4 way stop first is waving me to go ahead of them and turn across their path, while they inch forward. Just stick to the rules so I don't have to guess what's in your mind thanks.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

Love it when the person across from me who got to the 4 way stop first is waving me to go ahead of them and turn across their path, while they inch forward. Just stick to the rules so I don't have to guess what's in your mind thanks.

If I put my feet down waiting for someone who got to an intersection first, I just look away. They won't keep waving you on if you're staring at the sky.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorson posted:

Agreed. Four way stops are already a delicate balance where everyone needs to be on the same page to use them safely. I hate it when people screw that up because they're weenies and then act like they're doing the rest of us a favor.

So I just sit and stare at them. Sometimes they actually get angry and chirp their tires when they finally go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh look some poor person is trying to get out of their driveway I'll just be nice and stop to let them out *forty other vehicles slam on their brakes*

People wrecking the road rules because they think they're being nice drives me crazy.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

4 way stops are garbage design by assholes

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Ah, you should see how bad it is for bicyclists. People will just slam on their loving brakes in the middle of the highway if they think you might want to go ahead of them, or cross the road, or something.

The worst is when one lane of traffic will stop and they just start frantically waving you into a crossing, despite the other lanes still going full speed (and weaving around the suddenly stopped car that's blocking the view of you). loving madness.

The go-to response is to maintain eye contact, pull out a water bottle, and start drinking until they move. Not going to trust my life to someone who just showed me they can't follow basic rules.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Oh look some poor person is trying to get out of their driveway I'll just be nice and stop to let them out *forty other vehicles slam on their brakes*

People wrecking the road rules because they think they're being nice drives me crazy.

Meanwhile Ways NZ drivers could actually be nice:
- drive the speed limit. Why does nobody do 100 in 100 zones!?
- go around corners faster than 20kph
- sit one place in the road. Don’t care where, just try to not look drunk.
- move over a lane when someone is joining from a slip road.

Every loving day, and I’ve only been using the roads for a month.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What's most hosed up is when you're used to taking your life into your hands any time you want to cross the street where you're from, and you go out to small town Alberta and BC and drivers on both sides of the road will just stop and wait for you to cross, even if there isn't a cross walk. Like, if you're facing the road, they'll all stop and wait patiently. And you're like, is this some kind of test? Can they smell the city slicker on me? Are they going to run me down as soon as I step out into the road?
No, they're just nice, and patient, and respect pedestrians and are happy to yield their right of way to them. And you're like, freaks! Where is your callous disregard for humanity?! Why are you not prioritizing getting to work 5 seconds faster over the lives of others? What is wrong with you??

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's funny because in SF it's the opposite. Most drivers are good about yielding to pedestrians and not blocking the crosswalk, but in rural and suburban areas you are definitely scum if you're on foot and will get run over.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think the most dangerous "trying to be helpful" situation is when there are two or more lanes of oncoming traffic and the traffic in the lane closest to you stops and leaves a gap for you to make a left turn. Unless you can easily see the other lanes it's a really good way to get killed by a car. I've seen multiple car accidents that occurred from this, thankfully never a bike though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Agreed. Four way stops are already a delicate balance where everyone needs to be on the same page to use them safely. I hate it when people screw that up because they're weenies and then act like they're doing the rest of us a favor.

So I just sit and stare at them. Sometimes they actually get angry and chirp their tires when they finally go.

It's the funniest poo poo. A lot of the time I literally can't even see them waving, because most car windscreens are angled back so far that all I can see is a reflection of the sky.

Are you waving me across? Did you stop in the middle of the road just to give me the finger? I actually can't tell and would prefer if you'd just use your right of way already so I can go through the hole behind you.

Finger Prince posted:

What's most hosed up is when you're used to taking your life into your hands any time you want to cross the street where you're from, and you go out to small town Alberta and BC and drivers on both sides of the road will just stop and wait for you to cross, even if there isn't a cross walk. Like, if you're facing the road, they'll all stop and wait patiently. And you're like, is this some kind of test? Can they smell the city slicker on me? Are they going to run me down as soon as I step out into the road?
No, they're just nice, and patient, and respect pedestrians and are happy to yield their right of way to them. And you're like, freaks! Where is your callous disregard for humanity?! Why are you not prioritizing getting to work 5 seconds faster over the lives of others? What is wrong with you??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByOFIYKzx5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Meanwhile Ways NZ drivers could actually be nice:
- drive the speed limit. Why does nobody do 100 in 100 zones!?
- go around corners faster than 20kph
- sit one place in the road. Don’t care where, just try to not look drunk.
- move over a lane when someone is joining from a slip road.

Every loving day, and I’ve only been using the roads for a month.

The speed limit thing is because the last thirty years has seen daily tv commercials pounding SPEED KILLS into people's heads, including that a mere ten km/h is the difference between perfect safety and family-annihilating death. The emphasis is entirely 100% on speeding while driver training is basically non-existent and the license standards are a joke. The cops will happily give you a ticket for doing 6km over.

Naturally, ticketing people for petty poo poo is a known, massive grift that the government keeps teasing about shutting down but can't quite bring themselves to because it would destroy an enormous source of non-tax revenue.

Then combine that with tough kiwi no8 wire she'll be right get her done attitude which means that you are always in the right and doing the perfect speed and anyone going faster is a maniac best ignored so you never need to pull over ever, even if you're towing a caravan up a hill.

It's gotten bad enough now that if you beep at someone for blatantly and dangerously breaking the rules, they usually get angry at you and imply it's your fault they don't know how to drive. The whole situation is in a death spiral and the government seems to think self driving cars will make the problem go away by itself eventually.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 14, 2021