Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

iroguebot posted:

Just sort of popping my head in here, I posted a few months back in the general bike thread about looking for some sort of hybrid bike like a FX/Dual-sport/Verve

I guess to tl;dr it, would I really be kicking myself riding around on marlin tires for paved paths for 15-20 miles a ride every other day? I assume they're about as lovely as what I'm used to now, with the Roadmaster.

Some of the Hardcase tires Trek puts on commuter bikes aren't all that pleasant to ride, either. It'll be less buzzy than a knobbed tire, but the subjective drop in efficiency might be less than it'd seem on the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I love Trestle bike park, but man gently caress i-70 and I-25

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ropes4u posted:

I love Trestle bike park, but man gently caress i-70 and I-25

Hay!@ I was there today. gently caress the traffic so much. I wasn't driving so oh well I guess ha. Did you race?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

deong posted:

Hay!@ I was there today. gently caress the traffic so much. I wasn't driving so oh well I guess ha. Did you race?

I did not race, I was the old dude on a blue Thunderbolt, usually on the blue and green trails. It was a beautiful day and I’m glad we went before the weekend kicked off.

And have you ever seen so many adventure vans?!?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been doing some more stuff to my hei hei.

Last fall the main focus was getting the fit and suspension set up and having brakes that worked. To do all that I swapped from a 60 to a 45(?) stem and went to slightly wider bars and put on my pro stealth offroad and changed the volume spacer in the shock and swapped from guide R to guide RSC levers. It's amazing how much of a difference the better levers make and they weren't that expensive. Or maybe it was this year I put on the levers after bleeding the old ones twice and having them still suck.

This spring trying to get a hardtail xc race bike didn't work out so I've been spending money to make this bike lighter instead. Carbon cranks dropped 189 grams. An assortment of titanium bolts and a bolt on front axle instead of qr was another 90 or so, plus I had those carbon bars already, so my bike went from high 28lb to 27.5, and the vittorias are a bit heavier than the stock rekons. That left a few more items that weren't such a good $/g value. Like wheels

DT swiss XRC1501. After pricing out building my own wheels these turned out to be a pretty good deal with the EP purchase program dt swiss offers. Less than building a carbon rim to 240 hubs, which is what these are. 30mm wide internally, something like 1550g for the set. And I couldn't put that noisy brick of a GX cassette on there so I got an xo1. It's pretty.

and too loving expensive

And since the wheels are centerlock, I had to get new rotors too (I didn't though, they came with adapters). Might as well get the light ones

those caliper bolts are Ti, btw.

Also I decided I needed a 50mm stem, and was just borrowing that one from the shop, so I had to get my own. gently caress that new enve one was about the only thing available

Think I, uh, need to stop spending money for awhile. Bike is good though. Feels better, faster, more responsive to hard pedaling. Racing the butte 100 in a few weeks, not sure if I'm going to keep these tires or do something like aspens. I know the vittorias so will probably stick with them, or go mezcal front and rear. It's fast and durable and reasonably light. Oh yeah, total bike weight is now 26.5. Not quite xc race bike light, but at least in the ballpark and for a 120mm bike with a dropper I think that's pretty good.

Now I just can't stop thinking about how heavy that 170mm fox transfer seat post is and how much lighter the new 100mm SL would be. I also have a carbon rigid post in the right diameter but I feel like this is the kind of bike you keep a dropper on.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 16, 2021

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm selling my 2018 Canyon Spectral CF 8. If anyone here is interested I can offer a hefty goon discount. Bike is located in Denver. Down to ship if you want to pay for the label.

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/denver-2018-canyon-spectral-cf-80/7349155263.html

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Put around 150mi on the trails near Bend, OR. I'd totally move here just for the trail network. Like drat.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm looking through Pinkbike buy and sell and it looks like people might be starting to get over their covid-induced "I've always wanted to get into this!" hysteria. More than a few postings say "not as into mountain biking as I thought I would be". A couple more months and I might find a replacement for my well-loved 12 year old Norco Shore. It's served me well in the north shore.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The lockdown 'I need something to do!" mania is definitely dwindling but if at least a quarter of the people that started riding due to the pandemic stick to it we're still going to see an increase in trail investment and that's awesome.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

stratdax posted:

I'm looking through Pinkbike buy and sell and it looks like people might be starting to get over their covid-induced "I've always wanted to get into this!" hysteria. More than a few postings say "not as into mountain biking as I thought I would be". A couple more months and I might find a replacement for my well-loved 12 year old Norco Shore. It's served me well in the north shore.

What are you looking for generally? I'm selling an XL 2011 spec enduro expert on there to fund the build-up of a new bike (thanks Pinarello Dogman for the deal) but it's probably not much of an upgrade from your shore. Were you the one selling the black shore in small?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Were you the one selling the black shore in small?

Nope not selling yet. I found your listing, that's a sick bike. A bit overkill for the watershed, no? ;) I'll be looking for something modern, couple years old at most, I like the way geometry has gone on new enduros nowadays. And maybe carbon. I figure I've done my time slugging up Fromme or Old Buck, time for some climbability. Over the years I upgraded the Shore by changing it to a 1x9, wider handlebars, etc, but I'm not freeriding or doing huge drops anymore so I'm finding less use for it on modern trails. Good luck on the sale!

stratdax fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 11, 2021

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Spent yesterday afternoon riding Mammoth Mountain and just loving the long routes you can take from the top of the mountain! So many other trails I didn’t go on because I am bad, but the blue runs are nice and flowy and have just the right amount of tech and crunch for me.

Winds picked up and were a gusty 30-40mph at the summit but once off the exposed backside, it wasn’t bad.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

As a large goon (5'8" 265lbs) who wants to get into recreational MTB, more packed trails with few obstacles nothing crazy, would yall recommend a 29"? Or do I have to look for specific things because of weight?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

creatine posted:

As a large goon (5'8" 265lbs) who wants to get into recreational MTB, more packed trails with few obstacles nothing crazy, would yall recommend a 29"? Or do I have to look for specific things because of weight?

29ers are great for all beginners, you get to steamroller over everything.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
29'ers go over roots that would really knock around a 26" tire.

They're pretty great. They roll well and they're less twitchy.

Now, if you're worried about impact and loving up rims/breaking spokes, 26/27.5 may be a better consideration due to a stronger wheel.

Still, I'd go with a 29'er. They're pretty bitchin'.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

creatine posted:

I think under about 300 lbs or so I wouldn't really worry too much. Unless you start jumping or something then you might have to be a bit more careful with wheels, etc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you're talking about places like Blue Hills and the Fells, 2.5" 29er should hold up no prob for your weight. Nothing crazy out there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
29ers rule. You'll be fine. Those wheels bulldoze over what 26" cant.
Opt out of the ultra light wheels and you'll be fiiiiine. Start with a hard tail and build that skillset.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anyone been to Silver Mountain Idaho's bike park? I am going in 3 weeks for a day. Looks like all the good flow trails take you all the way back down the mountain and then you ride a bike path for 1.5 miles back to the 20 min long gondola. The smaller zone at the top is more tech but you just hop on the lift.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

If you're talking about places like Blue Hills and the Fells, 2.5" 29er should hold up no prob for your weight. Nothing crazy out there.

yeah talking about fells. shnoox and i are looking to get some MTB for there

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

spwrozek posted:

Anyone been to Silver Mountain Idaho's bike park? I am going in 3 weeks for a day. Looks like all the good flow trails take you all the way back down the mountain and then you ride a bike path for 1.5 miles back to the 20 min long gondola. The smaller zone at the top is more tech but you just hop on the lift.

I have not but a riding buddy has been a couple times and said it's very good and he's ridden a bunch of places including in Europe, it's high on my list of places to check out.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I signed up for my first ever enduro race this week. (Northstar enduro, a stop on the California Enduro Series, and was an EWS stop in 2019) It's in just over a month. Stoked, but having never done one before, hoping to get some advice from anyone in the thread who has done one before. What are things that might not occur to me about how to prepare and show up / operate on race day that would be helpful?

I live a short drive from Northstar, have been there a few times and ridden pretty much all of the trails, and will try to make a few more visits to scout out / ride trails that are likely to be in stages or have been in the past.

I've got a capable bike for the terrain (at least in my experience), Ibis Ripmo. Convertible full face helmet, goggles. Elbow and knee pads.

What did you wish you knew before the first time you raced one?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

creatine posted:

ok building off this I will look at 29ers.

My parter is 4'11" and has a teenage road bike that's like 41cm with 650 wheels. Would a 29er be a good fit for them as well?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Steve French posted:

I signed up for my first ever enduro race this week. (Northstar enduro, a stop on the California Enduro Series, and was an EWS stop in 2019) It's in just over a month. Stoked, but having never done one before, hoping to get some advice from anyone in the thread who has done one before. What are things that might not occur to me about how to prepare and show up / operate on race day that would be helpful?

I live a short drive from Northstar, have been there a few times and ridden pretty much all of the trails, and will try to make a few more visits to scout out / ride trails that are likely to be in stages or have been in the past.

I've got a capable bike for the terrain (at least in my experience), Ibis Ripmo. Convertible full face helmet, goggles. Elbow and knee pads.

What did you wish you knew before the first time you raced one?

I have not done a proper Enduro but two friends did the whistler and Northstar ews100 rounds in 2019. From talking to them planning nutrition to have energy for the race stages after the climbs was a big challenge and something to think about, the days are long. Also how to manage recovery between practice days and race days, having to pedal all the stages during practice had them dead before the race even started.

Also check your helmet is dh certified, not all convertibles are and at least ews requires it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I have not done a proper Enduro but two friends did the whistler and Northstar ews100 rounds in 2019. From talking to them planning nutrition to have energy for the race stages after the climbs was a big challenge and something to think about, the days are long. Also how to manage recovery between practice days and race days, having to pedal all the stages during practice had them dead before the race even started.

Also check your helmet is dh certified, not all convertibles are and at least ews requires it.

Thanks; yeah nutrition was something I was a bit curious about. I was watching PB footage of the latest EWS race, and interested to see a lot of folks riding with a bottle on their bike, but no other apparent gear on them. Are they getting nutrition drops somewhere, or just going really lightweight? I figured I'd carry a backpack with essentials (and I'm no stranger to longer endurance events, racing a 100km XC race on Saturday).

The helmet is a Giro Switchblade, so it is DH certified, and to be honest I can't even really tell if CES requires a full face...

https://www.californiaenduroseries.com/rules/competition-requirements/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

creatine posted:

My parter is 4'11" and has a teenage road bike that's like 41cm with 650 wheels. Would a 29er be a good fit for them as well?

29 wouldn't be bad for them, the wheel size is more about the terrain/type of ride and frame size is about the rider. You'd want an XS for her.

I'm 6'2, 220lbs with gear on and me landing off larger drops or hitting square edges of rocks etc is going to be very similar demands on the wheels to you riding stuff, I don't think your weight is a problem. Ideally you can get something with air suspension so you can set it up for proper sag for your weight (as opposed to changing out coils).

E: in case this is new info, 650b is 27.5".

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

creatine posted:

29 is a lot of wheel and require a bike with a longer wheelbase to accomodate them. For a small person it might be lots to muscle around, but as VelociBacon said it's more terrain dependant. If you're just wanting to ride or only have access to mellow paths, a 29 rolls very well. I actually prefer 27.5 or even a 26" for a lot of the trails I ride, which are super janky. (Cannon Fodder's post about them being less twitchy can be read as them being less nimble. Which again, might not be a bad thing depending on the trails you're riding.)

Don't buy a bike you haven't ridden, and don't buy the first bike you ride. Rent a variety, or find places that demo bikes. You may find you're not as into it as you thought, or it may just take that long to find something that feels right.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 15, 2021

casque
Mar 17, 2009

creatine posted:

I'm all about the 29ers and they roll better over obstacles than smaller wheels.

At some point, however, the bike has to fit the rider. For a 4'11 rider I would not look for a 29er.

If you're looking for modern geometry I'd maybe look for 650B. If this is just getting into MTB and you don't want to spend a ton of money, fund a decent 26" hardtail and start there.

If you're getting a modern bike the women's brands are more likely to have made sizes that'll fit better at 4'11 like Liv (Giant) and Julianna (Santa Cruz).

casque
Mar 17, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

E: in case this is new info, 650b is 27.5".

Indeed and the 650 he's talking about on an old road bike is probably 650c.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Toe overlap might get real fucky with a xs and a 29 wheelbase

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Toe overlap on a MTB would be a complete dealbreaker and I know Marin at least doesn't even make most if any of their XS bikes with a 29" wheel because it just wouldn't work.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'd find an XS 27.5" bike. There's a ton of them in awesome colors for girls, too.

Full disclosure: I bought my bike mainly because its purdy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I have not but a riding buddy has been a couple times and said it's very good and he's ridden a bunch of places including in Europe, it's high on my list of places to check out.

Sweet. Hopefully no rain or smoke and it is a good time.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
One question, phrased two very different ways: What's minimum reasonable tread depth on XC tires these days / what is their reasonable lifespan?

Getting properly back into cycling this year, and putting in serious time on my new bike - a lot of pavement/gravel/light-trail, but I've been rebuilding my confidence by taking on more technical terrain (having lost it many years ago in a bad/dumb crash). Today I was out exploring some nearby singletrack and it had rained recently so it was a perfect storm of light mud and loose pine needles/leaves - plus plenty of small obstacles on the trail. I was getting a *lot* of wheel slide - and mostly attributed it to the fact that the tires were properly caked in poo poo - but when I got home and hosed everything down, I started to ask the above question, since I've put around 800km on the bike in the past 6 weeks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

One question, phrased two very different ways: What's minimum reasonable tread depth on XC tires these days / what is their reasonable lifespan?

Getting properly back into cycling this year, and putting in serious time on my new bike - a lot of pavement/gravel/light-trail, but I've been rebuilding my confidence by taking on more technical terrain (having lost it many years ago in a bad/dumb crash). Today I was out exploring some nearby singletrack and it had rained recently so it was a perfect storm of light mud and loose pine needles/leaves - plus plenty of small obstacles on the trail. I was getting a *lot* of wheel slide - and mostly attributed it to the fact that the tires were properly caked in poo poo - but when I got home and hosed everything down, I started to ask the above question, since I've put around 800km on the bike in the past 6 weeks.

To me this seems more likely your tire pressures were appropriate for pavement, gravel, etc and not loose mud, and probably also only downhill or DH mud tires are going to perform well in those conditions. Nobody measures their tread but if you take a photo we can give our dumb opinion on it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Any DHers here wear upper body armour? I never have but my buddy went OTB yesterday and broke his collarbone and 7 ribs (not wearing armour). It has me thinking. I know a collarbone break is tricky to protect against but would armour help against breaks at all? Or is it just for scrapes and bruises. I've had some magnificent bails but I've somehow never paid attention to this or broken anything in my 20 years of riding, but I'm old now, ya know?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 15, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

stratdax posted:

Any DHers wear upper body armour? I never have but my buddy went OTB yesterday and broke his collarbone and 7 ribs (not wearing armour). It has me thinking. I know a collarbone break is tricky to protect against but would armour help against breaks at all? Or is it just for scrapes and bruises.

Absolutely does protect against for example 7 broken ribs.

I grew up wearing the 661 pressure suit for race practices:

And then I stopped riding altogether for around 6 or 7 years, got back into it 6 years ago, wore that kinda armor for 3 years for Whistler park days, then switched to this:

Recently, towards the end of last season and so far this season I haven't worn it. I don't find I have the kind of high-speed crashes these things really help protect you during and they're quite hot/scratchy/lots of work to pull the d3O pads from so you can put it in the wash. My riding is mostly technical blacks/double blacks where I'm not actually travelling all that quickly and putting all that stuff on made me not want to go ride at all. I feel a lot more composed on the bike and less exhausted without it on, and I find that helps me enjoy riding more and allows me to ride better as I have the energy to properly get my knees bent etc.

Armor really helps with some crashes. I clipped a tree with my shoulder at speed and it tossed me off the bike, I tumbled a few times and came to a stop and couldn't believe that I was basically fine. My shoulder hit the tree hard enough to cause an abrasion through the padding that caused a scar I still have years later. I also had a small crash with the armor on though a couple years ago where an exposed branch speared me kinda halfway down my side under my ribs and I thought I was going to die on the mountain from not being able to breathe - the armor didn't help in that instance.

If I start doing some races again (most are pretty far away from me this summer) I'd wear the armor until I saw whether or not the course was wide open and quick or slower and steep/technical.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Hey all, recently got set up with a 29"er hard tail and am putting together a repair kit. I normally take a tube with me on road rides but it seems unlikely that I'd want/need one with this set up (tubeless 2.6"s). What would you all recommend as the essentials in a repair kit? I always carry a pump and dynaplugs and multitool; anything mtb-specific I should have, too?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kgibson posted:

Hey all, recently got set up with a 29"er hard tail and am putting together a repair kit. I normally take a tube with me on road rides but it seems unlikely that I'd want/need one with this set up (tubeless 2.6"s). What would you all recommend as the essentials in a repair kit? I always carry a pump and dynaplugs and multitool; anything mtb-specific I should have, too?

IMO you still want a tube if you're going to commit to carrying anything. You can get smallish lighter ones as emergency tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

I moved to Northern California (SF) last year from North Carolina. -- I used to do a lot of XC riding a few years ago, but there are significantly more options for trail types out here.

That being said, I'm stuck between deciding to get a Yeti SB100 or a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Price is about the same all things considered.

Do any of you like or dislike either of the bikes for a particular reason?