Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Laterite posted:

"By about 2000, the United States economy is doing so well that the tax coffers begin to swell. This not only solves the deficit problem but gives the government ample resources to embark on new initiatives. No longer forced to nitpick over which government programs to cut, political leaders emerge with new initiatives to help solve seemingly intractable social problems, like drug addiction. No one talks about reverting to big government, but there's plenty of room for innovative approaches to applying the pooled resources of the entire society to benefit the public at large. And the government, in good conscience, can finally afford tax cuts."
:nallears:

Homocow posted:

the toxic optimism of the late 90s is why so many older millennials are broken nihilists

Chard posted:

also, you know, *gestures broadly at the world*
It really is that 90s optimism getting shattered by 9/11 and everything that followed.

frankenfreak has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

i am harry posted:

hmm yes equality and chaos, two words that go together so naturally

in a way. the defining characteristic of chaos is indistinguishably, something shared with equality though maybe arrived at in a different way

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1413252235270709260?s=19

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1413293415719133187

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t get the ways in which it’s Nazi propaganda !!
In the sense that the nazis invented the torch relay as part of their propaganda efforts during the 36 Olympics.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hedenius posted:

In the sense that the nazis invented the torch relay as part of their propaganda efforts during the 36 Olympics.

granted that they invented it but in what sense is it Nazi propaganda rather than a thing Nazis did once in the name of pageantry? like was the torch relay something they did all the time?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

indigi posted:

granted that they invented it but in what sense is it Nazi propaganda rather than a thing Nazis did once in the name of pageantry? like was the torch relay something they did all the time?

Yes.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lmfao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I suppose I can see the relationship between an angry mob with torches and a person running a marathon with one

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nazis are known for marching with torches now, and, as the article points out, they are trying to evoke some very particular imagery with it. However, it used to be just how people marched in general for various occasions.

Here's a random news article in Belarusian from 1928 that reports on celebrations dedicated to the tenth anniversary of the Soviet Communist Youth Organisation.

In the evening young communists marched with torches, and the way this is described makes it abundantly clear that it's something that everyone is familiar with.

And even after the war marching with torches didn't fall completely out of favour in USSR. Here's a photo from the 70s.

E: And I suppose recent torch light marches in India in support of protesting farmers show that it's not just a European thing either.

People like fire, it looks pretty.

Paladinus has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Jul 9, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
P sure runnin around with fire is one of humanity's oldest ways of expressing excitement. And creating excitement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I appreciate that Neo-Nazis are dumbasses who cannot figure out “wrap stick in cloth, soak in oil, light” so they have to buy Polynesia-appropriating yard decorations, yet Indian farmers have got it down.

Paladinus posted:

You’re selling the torch short here. If you want practical illumination, you bring a lantern.

Torches are a spectacle and an implicit threat. People don’t put a house “to the lantern”. They put it to the torch.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Jul 9, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
better idea than a lantern: a loving flashlight

we don't live in the goddamn 17th century, we have light bulbs and electricity

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Also it's fire on the end of a stick and that's rad

Xand_Man has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Jul 9, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Flashlights aren't particularly threatening....

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

the olympic maglite doesn't sound particularly inspiring

but carrying around a maglite at a protest on the other hand

one of those 6 d-cell motherfuckers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fun fact: flashlights are called flash lights because batteries were once so expensive that you weren’t supposed to leave the light on. People would tap the light on here and there for a moment to get the lay of the land but still mostly walk in darkness.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Paladinus posted:

Xand_Man posted:

Also it's fire on the end on the end of a stick and that's rad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

P sure runnin around with fire is one of humanity's oldest ways of expressing excitement. And creating excitement.

Fire is awesome, and looks badass at night. Especially if there's a bunch of people with their own personal fire moving around.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And they are also called torches, because they are like torches.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Junpei posted:

99.6% of poor people own a flashlight.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Watch to end, plz.

https://twitter.com/AlexTMcNair/status/1412945070802841607

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Inceltown posted:

99.6% of poor people own a flashlight.

i am the 0.4%

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Junpei posted:

thousands of generations of humans before you have used, watched, cared for, and been kept alive by fire. go build a connection with all those people who came before you. go light something on fire and watch it.

this same flickering ghost that is tamed in our lighters and stoves would consume every available fuel source if given the opportunity. for almost all of human history, we have watched this ethereal dancing light as it cooked our food, burned our cities, forged our tools, pushed back the darkness, incinerated forests, and provide life saving warmth. it's still doing that all that for us, and more. see that fire, understand what it can do, what it has done, acknowledge it, fear it, and respect it as humans have done since before we were humans.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Ow, my neck

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/ericallenhatch/status/1413309459779182592

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1413266370192678914

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"Watch this, the audience has to go along with it no matter what I do."

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Platystemon posted:

I appreciate that Neo-Nazis are dumbasses who cannot figure out “wrap stick in cloth, soak in oil, light” so they have to buy Polynesia-appropriating yard decorations, yet Indian farmers have got it down.

You’re selling the torch short here. If you want practical illumination, you bring a lantern.

Torches are a spectacle and an implicit threat. People don’t put a house “to the lantern”. They put it to the torch.

Lanterns have caused shitloads of house fires.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buttchocks posted:

They’re not burning their own houses down, Ben.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Platystemon posted:

They’re not burning their own houses down, Ben.

they were, most of the time

e: this may be some sort of The Office (US) reference I’m missing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

indigi posted:

e: this may be some sort of The Office (US) reference I’m missing

Nah.

It’s a reference to someone else with a poor understanding of phenomena that destroy houses.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Anna_bw/status/1413341250267140100

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Buttchocks posted:

Not to mention what happened with Mrs o Leary's cow

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

jetz0r posted:

thousands of generations of humans before you have used, watched, cared for, and been kept alive by fire. go build a connection with all those people who came before you. go light something on fire and watch it.

this same flickering ghost that is tamed in our lighters and stoves would consume every available fuel source if given the opportunity. for almost all of human history, we have watched this ethereal dancing light as it cooked our food, burned our cities, forged our tools, pushed back the darkness, incinerated forests, and provide life saving warmth. it's still doing that all that for us, and more. see that fire, understand what it can do, what it has done, acknowledge it, fear it, and respect it as humans have done since before we were humans.

One time I did shrooms and just started a fire in my little wood burning stove without matches or anything and kept it going while making it burn out cool cardboard sculptures and stuff it owned

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Junpei posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauri_Chaura_incident

cant do this with a flashlight

this was an ok movie, watched it in high school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhi_(film)

BONGHITZ has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Jul 9, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

i am harry posted:

hmm yes equality and chaos, two words that go together so naturally

this is how fascists think though

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lmao

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wendy Williams owns. No one else on television could get away with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

this is incredible insane person energy im so jealous