Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

If you're taking a crotch-facing piledriver, it has to be a tombstone. If you're facing out, you can take the sitout version. The way I remember Austin telling it was that he told Owen not to sitout, but he did it anyway.

I wonder more why they didn't call an audible for the ending though. Having Austin pin him anyway after that looked silly, and could've made his injury worse.

You can also (at least, back in the 90s and in TNA) take it the way Owen did it if your thighs are gently caress off huge like Scott Steiner's and even then the receiver's head was above Scott's belly button. I wouldn't recommend it still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Better than I have talked about it, but I still recall how even to me who knows less than nothing about to actually wrestle Owen's set up for the piledriver didn't look right. Like Austin's head was way too far down.

If I recall correctly, it was Whisper who helped him get cleaned up.

Whisper is a born-again Christian and got Shawn into rehab and led him to his born-again Christianity.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Austin specifically asked Owen not to do it like that, and it might have been that Steve didn't know how to take it.

The story, according to Steve, is that afternoon they were laying out the match, and were really cooking up some stuff, because both had done enough work in Japan and were still athletic enough compared to most guys on the roster that, poo poo, they could do some of those spots! So they figure out the sequence that ends with the tombstone, and Steve knew there were two ways to do the tombstone: drop to your knees, or drop to your rear end. So Steve asks Owen, “when you do it, do you drop to your knees, or drop to your rear end?”
“I drop on my rear end.”
“You’re ribbing me! I’m taller than you, so that won’t work. You mean you drop to your knees.”
Owen, deadpan serious: “No, I drop on my rear end.
Steve laughs this off, thinking Owen really is just loving with him.

So, match happens, they do the tilt-a-whirl into it, Steve’s upside down, and at the very last second he realizes Owen wasn’t kidding. And then the next thing he knew, he couldn’t feel his arms or legs or even move them, and there was this incredible burning sensation in the back of his neck and head.

Of course, five years earlier, Steve had done the same stupid thing to, funny enough, Japan’s own future Stone Cold like character: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/92yfhy/steve_austin_breaks_masahiro_chonos_neck_the_same/

Steve apparently never knew he did this, because the tour ended and he went home before anyone told him “you broke Chono’s neck, dude”

Ironically for both of them these injuries might have been the best thing that ever happened to them: Austin being unable to work meant that they filled the time with him doing outrageous things in non-wrestling segments and really kicked off the Stunnering every authority figure WWE had, eventually capping it with the classic Vince one, which only made him even more explosively popular. For Chono, it forced him into a style change and led to him leaning more on his personality than his wrestling ability and he would become the leader of nWo Japan and LEGEND, finally eclipse Mutoh and Hashimoto in popularity after years of being in their shadows, and become the first real “cool heel” in New Japan around the same time Austin rose to the top in America.

edit: minor correction, I think Team 2000 came before LEGEND, because Team 2000 was Chono coming back from the neck injury that led to him vacating the IWGP title a month after winning it, seeing that Mutoh had taken over nWo Japan and turned it face, and deciding to go to war with them over it by swiping Rotunda and Jeff Farmer (who was working as nWo Sting), and also bringing in AKIRA and Don loving Frye!

Turn of the century NJPW was kinda wild.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 9, 2021

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Whisper is a born-again Christian and got Shawn into rehab and led him to his born-again Christianity.

The story, according to Steve, is that afternoon they were laying out the match, and were really cooking up some stuff, because both had done enough work in Japan and were still athletic enough compared to most guys on the roster that, poo poo, they could do some of those spots! So they figure out the sequence that ends with the tombstone, and Steve knew there were two ways to do the tombstone: drop to your knees, or drop to your rear end. So Steve asks Owen, “when you do it, do you drop to your knees, or drop to your rear end?”
“I drop on my rear end.”
“You’re ribbing me! I’m taller than you, so that won’t work. You mean you drop to your knees.”
Owen, deadpan serious: “No, I drop on my rear end.
Steve laughs this off, thinking Owen really is just loving with him.

So, match happens, they do the tilt-a-whirl into it, Steve’s upside down, and at the very last second he realizes Owen wasn’t kidding. And then the next thing he knew, he couldn’t feel his arms or legs or even move them, and there was this incredible burning sensation in the back of his neck and head.

Of course, five years earlier, Steve had done the same stupid thing to, funny enough, Japan’s own future Stone Cold like character: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/92yfhy/steve_austin_breaks_masahiro_chonos_neck_the_same/

Steve apparently never knew he did this, because the tour ended and he went home before anyone told him “you broke Chono’s neck, dude”

Ironically for both of them these injuries might have been the best thing that ever happened to them: Austin being unable to work meant that they filled the time with him doing outrageous things in non-wrestling segments and really kicked off the Stunnering every authority figure WWE had, eventually capping it with the classic Vince one, which only made him even more explosively popular. For Chono, it forced him into a style change and led to him leaning more on his personality than his wrestling ability and he would become the leader of nWo Japan and LEGEND, finally eclipse Mutoh and Hashimoto in popularity after years of being in their shadows, and become the first real “cool heel” in New Japan around the same time Austin rose to the top in America.

This is a great post just saying, thanks

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

IIRC Jericho almost killed himself in the ring once, getting the angle on a Liontamer wrong, but Curt Hennig saw what was happening and made whatever adjustment was necessary to save the day.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

IIRC Jericho almost killed himself in the ring once, getting the angle on a Liontamer wrong, but Curt Hennig saw what was happening and made whatever adjustment was necessary to save the day.

Oh yeah, it’s this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRv5ns1-bM0

A few years ago Jericho claimed it was just a coincidence that Hennig saved him from breaking his neck by putting his knees up (which, I mean, the finish probably was “Lionsault into knees, Fisherman Suplex, we’re out”), but I think Austin brought it up on that Stone Cold Sessions they did, or someone brought the match up somewhere, and Jericho was like “yeah he pretty much knew I hosed up before I even left the ropes and saved my life doing that earlier than he would have if I’d gotten the right spring off of it”

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The funny thing with the Owen/Austin piledriver is that Owen/Bret did the same sequence at Wrestlemania X, but with a regular tombstone. Benoit/Bret also did it on Nitro, and I'm pretty sure I saw a clip from an old Stampede match with that spot as well (possibly with Davey Boy?).

Of note is that the only one of these instances that also featured Undertaker on the card was Summer Slam '97. So I've always suspected that Owen specifically adjusted the spot with that in mind, considering how weird WWE gets about sharing trademark moves.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

doesnt ishii and okada do it in their g1 match from 2016 I think? I remember because people freaked out

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Following the Owen/Austin botch, Owen would come out to the ring wearing a t-shirt with "Owen 3:16" on the front and (IIRC) "I just broke your neck" on the back. This was probably a case of the WWF keeping up with kayfabe or whatever but I imagine Austin was pretty pissed about them piggybacking off of something that could have left him a quadriplegic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Cameo posted:

Oh yeah, it’s this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRv5ns1-bM0

A few years ago Jericho claimed it was just a coincidence that Hennig saved him from breaking his neck by putting his knees up (which, I mean, the finish probably was “Lionsault into knees, Fisherman Suplex, we’re out”), but I think Austin brought it up on that Stone Cold Sessions they did, or someone brought the match up somewhere, and Jericho was like “yeah he pretty much knew I hosed up before I even left the ropes and saved my life doing that earlier than he would have if I’d gotten the right spring off of it”

Goddamn, Hennig was so, so good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think there’s a word for that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think there’s a word for that.

It's like he's some sort of really really exceptional... guy. He's a phenomenal individual of some sort. Like a man who's fantastic, like he's...

Oh, yeah!

The Great One!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The word you're looking for is champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAzkR-VZ6g

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

doesnt ishii and okada do it in their g1 match from 2016 I think? I remember because people freaked out

My memory was Ishii pulling out a Steiner Screwdriver against Tanahashi in the G1, yeah.

:stare:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 9, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Following the Owen/Austin botch, Owen would come out to the ring wearing a t-shirt with "Owen 3:16" on the front and (IIRC) "I just broke your neck" on the back. This was probably a case of the WWF keeping up with kayfabe or whatever but I imagine Austin was pretty pissed about them piggybacking off of something that could have left him a quadriplegic.

Here's Austin in audio book being mildly salty about that (9:13)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68zUzDy4wU

Also features other stuff that has been already mentioned.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

titties posted:

He also potatoed nitro girl Whisper by accident, which caused heat with HBK who apparently carried on like a huge baby about it even though he had definitely been in the business long enough to know that sometimes it happens and a fat lip is not a big deal in any way.

I've read Jericho's books, and HBK really didn't have time for Drunkicho's poo poo, especially around his family, but the "Punching Whisper" issue was defused pretty quickly.

They went over it, worked it out so that he could make a worked punch look as vicious as possible, but both Whisper and he moved positions in the heat of the moment, and he pasted her. “The look on my face wasn’t an act. I felt like the biggest piece of poo poo on the planet and I knew I was in trouble. I could only imagine what Shawn was going to do to me when I got back through the curtain. After I had just knocked his wife out, if he wanted to knock me out in return, I was going to let him.”.

Backstage no-one would talk to him, “They carted her out on a stretcher and when they got backstage, I kept repeating over and over again, ‘I am so sorry, man. I am so sorry.’ The doctors tended to Rebecca as Shawn stared at me blankly like he wanted to kill me.”, Shawn obviously blamed himself for putting his wife in that situation but then Rebecca (Whisper) suddenly sat up from the stretcher and said: “Is that the best you got, Jericho?”, which broke the tension, and got a big laugh.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
That's a good story.
It almost makes me want to read his books.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When someone asks about solid, safe, and reliable hands in the ring, a few names come to mind; Chris Jericho, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, etc.

Have any of them, or any other generally safe wrestler, ever botched so badly they injured someone else or ruined a match? I feel like every botch I've heard involving Bret was either injuring himself or it was the other person's fault.

Chris Benoit got the Crippler nickname because he accidentally broke Sabu's neck in a match.

bartok
May 10, 2006

IGgy IGsen posted:

That's a good story.
It almost makes me want to read his books.

I only read Jericho's first book but I remember having to skip about every other chapter because he was talking about Fozzy poo poo. When he's talking about wrestling it's great but I could give two shits about how he bonded with his Fozzy band mates over their shared love of 80's Christian hair metal band Stryper.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I remember his first book being good and then the later ones progressively getting worse as fozzy happened, and his constant need to talk about how cool and drunk he was all the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

I only read Jericho's first book but I remember having to skip about every other chapter because he was talking about Fozzy poo poo. When he's talking about wrestling it's great but I could give two shits about how he bonded with his Fozzy band mates over their shared love of 80's Christian hair metal band Stryper.

His first book doesn't mention Fozzy at all. The second one though....Jesus.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's really loving weird to read a thirty-five year old bragging about regularly getting blackout drunk like nineteen year old college student. Like enough to make up a special loving nickname for his irritating shitfaced "personality".

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Holy smokes, that would have been horrible.

https://i.imgur.com/B1UZHft.mp4

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

“Well then good ol’ Drunkicho was unleashed and everybody stood up and clapped”

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I used to have a nickname for when I'm sober. Jericho should get on my level.

bartok
May 10, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

His first book doesn't mention Fozzy at all. The second one though....Jesus.

Huh maybe I did read the second book too. I could have sworn he talks about the formation of Fozzy towards the end of the first book when he mentions he was getting burned out from WWF.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I hear about how “stiff” different wrestling rings are in different companies or different eras.

How stiff are combat sport mats for actual sports? Is there a standard for professional boxing? Is there a standard for mma? Are these surfaces for actual athletics just built completely differently in a way that
makes this question foolish?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

Huh maybe I did read the second book too. I could have sworn he talks about the formation of Fozzy towards the end of the first book when he mentions he was getting burned out from WWF.

The 1st book is almost exclusively pre-WWE, except for signing with them and talking about how nervous he was for the debut, and it ends with the countdown

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bartok posted:

His first book literally ends with him walking out to cut a promo on the rock at his debut.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Arbite posted:

Holy smokes, that would have been horrible.

https://i.imgur.com/B1UZHft.mp4
Oh jesus, that would've been Hayabusa but even worse. :gonk:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's really loving weird to read a thirty-five year old bragging about regularly getting blackout drunk like nineteen year old college student. Like enough to make up a special loving nickname for his irritating shitfaced "personality".

Yeah, that put me off so much I didn't even bother with Jericho's third book.* When he's doing that he's got a wife and at least A kid by that point, right?

*And yeah I didn't care about the Fozzy stuff either. I guess it's cool he got to me Axl Rose or whatever but...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The word you're looking for is champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAzkR-VZ6g

And then he never won a championship in TNA…

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jericho’s books are OK, I read the first three, but they get worse as they go along.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I either stopped in the third or fourth one, whichever one it is when he’s writing about WWE going to the middle east for USO shows or tribute to the troops or whatever it is they do out there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
When does ECW start becoming ECW? Like, the first few episodes of the TV show on Peacock are just a pretty average regional wrestling show, and a sedate one at that. I recall seeing an episode or two where they were still "Eastern Championship Wrestling" but were already getting into the more hardcore stuff, how did that start?

Are there any good resources on the history of ECW in general? Any good docs or books or anything like that?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Don't take my word for it but I think ECW morphs into what we remember it as today in 1994-95

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 9, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

When does ECW start becoming ECW? Like, the first few episodes of the TV show on Peacock are just a pretty average regional wrestling show, and a sedate one at that. I recall seeing an episode or two where they were still "Eastern Championship Wrestling" but were already getting into the more hardcore stuff, how did that start?

Are there any good resources on the history of ECW in general? Any good docs or books or anything like that?

Read the Scott Williams unauthorized book, it covers both OG ECW and the WWE one and doesn't pull punches on either

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It started pretty much when Shane Douglas trashed the NWA belt, which was August '94. They changed the "Eastern" to "Extreme" a couple days later.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's no solid date. You could say "when Paul Heyman took over the book from Eddie Gilbert in September 93" (around Ultraclash 93 IIRC). Or when Sabu starts there at NWA Bloodfeast 93. When Sandman really starts leaning into being a dirtbag, during the Tommy Cairo feud in spring 94. The NWA World Title Tournament that ends with Douglas making GBS threads on the belt in August 94.

I'd probably say it starts in September 93 but isn't complete until August 94 by which time Sandman is Sandman, Dreamer is Dreamer, Mikey is the plucky underdog, Cactus Jack has arrived, Sabu, 911, Public Enemy, The Pitbulls, almost all the names you most associate with ECW.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 9, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the answers. Ordered the book.

September 1993 looks like where I might jump on. I'm patient with this sort of thing (I've been slowly working my way through the New Generation since the Network launched) but the early episodes are just a bit too boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Honestly, it's not good but I have a fondness for that sub-Memphis early ECW. There's a lot that isn't great but Terry Funk vs Eddie Gilbert is an enjoyable feud.

Even a bad 1 hour weekly show is usually a real easy watch, at least to me.