Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have there been any rumors as to when we are getting a trailer for the third Holland Spider-Man movie? It's like 5 months from release.

they doing D23 this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dexo posted:

they doing D23 this year?

Nope.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This year is pretty packed, I doubt we'll see anything until the fall.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have there been any rumors as to when we are getting a trailer for the third Holland Spider-Man movie? It's like 5 months from release.

Some people think there's gonna be a trailer either after Loki's season finale (which I guess is logical considering the whole multiverse thing) or this weekend during Black Widow's premiere. :shrug:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

A combination of pandemic plus Disney+ shows has kind of thrown the usual cadence off. But just running some quick numbers:

Eternals: 5/24 Trailer, 11/4 Release
Shang Chi: 4/19 Trailer, 9/3 Release
Spider-Man: 12/17 Release

So yeah, we still have maybe a month or so before we'll probably get it. If not attached to Black Widow, they'll probably wait 1-2 weeks and do it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I thought the rumors were that it was gonna be attached to Black Widow.

if not, they might hold off for Shang Chi.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Widow is this week, then Shang Chi, the Eternals, then Spider-Man after that. They usually hold off on marketing until the next movie is out. I don't know how it works with it technically being Sony, but even then there's Venom and I think Morbius if that's still out this year, and they aren't going to want to drown out their smaller franchises.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morbius got kicked to next year.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

muscles like this! posted:

Morbius got kicked to next year.

NOOO now I have to wait even longer to watch it on my plasma

MY DELICIOUS PLASMA

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FlamingLiberal posted:

rumors, yes, dozens. credible ones, not really

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

NOOO now I have to wait even longer to watch it on my plasma

MY DELICIOUS PLASMA

The hand suckers are way more hosed up and scary than regular vampire teeth and he should have them in the comics and movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Retro Futurist posted:

....I don't know how it works with it technically being Sony.... they aren't going to want to drown out their smaller franchises.

Last time they dropped their Spider-Man trailer a week or so before End Game, the movie where we find out what happened to the world and whether or not Spider-Man comes back to life. Now obviously we all knew everything would be fine but it seems like they could have held off for what little suspense there was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

The hand suckers are way more hosed up and scary than regular vampire teeth and he should have them in the comics and movie.

Its hilarious how they stopped him from biting people because it was too violent and instead gave him the much more hosed up lamprey hands.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Last time they dropped their Spider-Man trailer a week or so before End Game, the movie where we find out what happened to the world and whether or not Spider-Man comes back to life. Now obviously we all knew everything would be fine but it seems like they could have held off for what little suspense there was.

I do remember though they were cagey about when it was set. A lot of people were of the opinion that Far From Home was set before Infinity War.

I wonder if they'll be playing a similar game with this one. If many of the highly reported rumours are true they might want to wait till the last second to reveal.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I wouldn’t be surprised if they attached it to Black Widow next week to try and score some repeat viewings, although I wonder how effective that tactic is now that trailers are all over the internet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Karloff posted:

I do remember though they were cagey about when it was set. A lot of people were of the opinion that Far From Home was set before Infinity War.

I wonder if they'll be playing a similar game with this one. If many of the highly reported rumours are true they might want to wait till the last second to reveal.

The first teaser was iffy, I think.

But still well before Endgame's release Sony just decided nope, gently caress it and threw the doors open.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
New What If...? trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8hBBfz8SI

The animation (particularly the faces) bothers me a bit, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how these stories will play out. Are they all individual stories, or part of a bigger alternate reality where they're all connected?

Also, what character was the disembodied head at 1:40 supposed to be?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it might be Scott Lang

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jamesman posted:

New What If...? trailer.

The animation (particularly the faces) bothers me a bit, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how these stories will play out. Are they all individual stories, or part of a bigger alternate reality where they're all connected?

I think I saw something about certain episodes being connected. Like a Captain Carter led alternate Avengers vs. Evil Gamora killing Thanos and taking his throne.

edit: Also, T'Challa being abducted as a boy by Yondu leading to T'Chaka possibly reaching out to Erik Killmonger at a younger age to stave off a looming succession crisis in Wakanda, essentially leading to a mellower Killmonger leading Wakanda.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 8, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Maybe it's because it's the first film I've seen in a theater in over a year, but I thought Black Widow was fun as hell. Harbor is a blast and Pugh is awesome. If I did have a criticism it's that there are two needle drops at the front of the movie that are way too on the nose.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AngryBooch posted:

I think I saw something about certain episodes being connected. Like a Captain Carter led alternate Avengers vs. Evil Gamora killing Thanos and taking his throne.

edit: Also, T'Challa being abducted as a boy by Yondu leading to T'Chaka possibly reaching out to Erik Killmonger at a younger age to stave off a looming succession crisis in Wakanda, essentially leading to a mellower Killmonger leading Wakanda.

My theory is that even if they're all separate realities it will all end up with a big teamup to stop some major multidimensional threat because if a Watcher says "i absolutely can not and will not interfere" it means he's gonna interfere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

howe_sam posted:

Maybe it's because it's the first film I've seen in a theater in over a year, but I thought Black Widow was fun as hell. Harbor is a blast and Pugh is awesome. If I did have a criticism it's that there are two needle drops at the front of the movie that are way too on the nose.

I also just finished it and I almost groaned my soul out at the slow dramatic "Smells Like Teen Spirit" over the opening credits. Not helped by them playing pretty much the whole drat thing.

Overall I enjoyed it but it's a solid middle-of-the-pack MCU entry for me. Harbour does rule but I wish his character got more catharsis beyond being the butt of the joke so consistently.

Also, a little miffed that they kind of wasted Taskmaster here.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

howe_sam posted:

I had heard that there were kind of jokey references to her two biggest (dumbest) catchphrases - Red in the ledger & I'm sterile/I'm a monster. Is that what you are referring to?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

No, I mean the use of American Pie and that dirge like cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Yelena does go on at length about the Red Room's sterilization, and it is played for laughs, but I also thought it worked

Arist posted:

Also, a little miffed that they kind of wasted Taskmaster here.

It's an interesting take on the character's origin, but yeah, if you're a fan of ol Tasky prepare for disappointment.

Also, regarding the post credit scene I was not expecting Val sending Yelena to kill Clint, but it will certainly put an interesting spin on things down the road and also firmly paints Val in a nefarious light, not that we really needed more confirmation of that.

Oh, and I really thought the Quinjet Nat and Steve were tooling around in during Infinity War was the one Steve and Bucky took to Siberia in Civil War

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 9, 2021

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

howe_sam posted:

Oh, and I really thought the Quinjet Nat and Steve were tooling around in during Infinity War was the one Steve and Bucky took to Siberia in Civil War

Yeah that wasn't a "loose end" I needed tied up

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I really enjoyed Black Widow. Pugh is great and I'm excited to see her in more things. Harbour of course steals almost every scene he's in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Black Widow is a movie about human trafficking and the villain is Harvey Weinstein.

And they blow him up.

4/5, would recommend.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jamesman posted:

New What If...? trailer.

The animation (particularly the faces) bothers me a bit

big Spider-Man 2003 series energy on those faces

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

big Spider-Man 2003 series energy on those faces

Close, but it's more Berserk 2016.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Black Widow is a movie about human trafficking and the villain is Harvey Weinstein.

And they blow him up.

4/5, would recommend.

I did like it's depiction of the cycle of abuse and how it effects the generations differently. Like I know real people that resent older siblings for escaping their families and never looking back.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I did like it's depiction of the cycle of abuse and how it effects the generations differently. Like I know real people that resent older siblings for escaping their families and never looking back.

Huh...... so I am Yelena I guess?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

howe_sam posted:

This just seems to be de rigeur for an entire generation of big budget filmmaking. As long as you're more subtle than he-who-must-not-be-named-in-this-thread, I'm willing to give it a pass.

I'm honestly surprised by how much I liked Black Widow. Not to say that it's an all time favorite, but for whatever reason my expectations were pretty dang low, and it ended up liking it a fair bit. I'd even give it the edge over stuff like the original Captain America and first Avengers movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I did find it weird that it didn't have the usual visual credits that Marvel films have at the end.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As comic movies tend to throw in the occasional "this character has the name of someone obscure from the comics, but they're barely the same," I'm kind of amused that Black Widow's black market contact guy is supposed to be the son of the schlubby bearded guy working for the Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Especially since they're roughly the same age.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Wasn't there supposed to be an Iron Man cameo in Black Widow?

VVVVVV I know it didn't happen but I swear there was talk of it. He died and RDJ was like I'm done and then I remember immediately hearing he was going to cameo in something which I thought was weird and unnecessary. Although that would have been prepandemic and I can't trust my quarantine addled brain.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 9, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be an Iron Man cameo in Black Widow?

Nope.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
What's the general deal with post-credit scenes in Black Widow? How many and when are they?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

What's the general deal with post-credit scenes in Black Widow? How many and when are they?

Just one after the credits

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The worst part of Black Widow is that Red Guardian never jumps twenty feet in the air to deliver a spinning piledriver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this was fine. Solid mid tier marvel movie. Really odd take on Taskmaster and I don't know if I like it. The important thing was that Yelena was great.

they need to add red guardian to End Game so he and Steve can have a fun scene together. Also, uhhhh, so there's just an army of Widows out there now, huh?