Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Midnight Voyager posted:

All he had to do is have Dominic try to help him, have Sieg go "Look, there's no way out, I've seen it from this side and I know this. Don't tell anyone. I don't want their pity." That could even be made sorta ambiguous, like maybe he isn't a cartoon and still cares about the people he left behind and doesn't want them to hurt on his behalf. While still, at face value, reading like a selfish thing to say! the tiniest bit of nuance!

but nah

He doesn't want nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
BSS:Batman's Scrappy Sidekick > Dominic Deegan: He doesn't want nuance.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Twelve by Pies posted:

Beelzebufo said that this isn't true, that Siegfried's soul was damned from the start (which would be a continuation of the character assassination of him when Mookie got upset that people liked Siggy), so it's just Jayden feeling incredibly guilty for cheating.

Which, honestly, wouldn't actually be that bad in a vacuum. Guilt can really mess up people and cause them to blame themselves even in a situation where they aren't at fault, like how many times have you heard someone say "If only I had done this" when a loved one dies, they feel they're responsible for the person's death even if they aren't actually responsible.

The problem is that Jayden, if not based on the woman Mookie was dating, seems to at least be serving as a representative of her in this arc, so it comes off feeling kind of gross, as if Mookie was like "This is how she should have acted for what she did!"

and the act of cheating is still going to be treated as evil in and off itself, so that she needs to swear a vow of silence and go off on a death pilgrimage because of it. Milov is still going to blow up the Luanian church over it (spoilers). She won't be forgiven for the act, She'll just have the double whammy of feeling like Siggy betrayed her as well.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Beelzebufo posted:

and the act of cheating is still going to be treated as evil in and off itself, so that she needs to swear a vow of silence and go off on a death pilgrimage because of it. Milov is still going to blow up the Luanian church over it (spoilers). She won't be forgiven for the act, She'll just have the double whammy of feeling like Siggy betrayed her as well.

the pilgrimage ultimately ends up being more about Stunt's redemption than hers (his turn towards misogyny and murder turns out to be actually a woman's fault) and the first time she speaks to end the vow of silence she's interrupted by Greg. It really does not get better for her from here on out

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh yeah that's right, Stunt's backstory changes from "I slit my mama's throat because all women are evil" to "I walked in on her having lesbian sex and the shock caused me to trip and fall on her with a knife."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What?

This loving comic I swear to loving gently caress

The past 2 weeks of updates have been a waste of our loving time

And Dominic Deegan is still loving puppetmastering the entire universe from beyond the loving grave

gently caress

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 9, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's incredible that Veth being late didn't loving matter, Veth himself didn't loving matter, the poem he read didn't loving matter, him asking about Adrak Bulgak didn't loving matter, absolutely nothing loving mattered. What's the opposite of Chekov's Gun?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

2 weeks think you mean 2 years

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol so Dominic definitely wrote that rule because he saw the future and has been puppet-mastering Snout all this time

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

lol so Dominic definitely wrote that rule because he saw the future and has been puppet-mastering Snout all this time

Maybe, but it's just as equally likely and stupid that this was just totally convenient dumb luck

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What?

This loving comic I swear to loving gently caress

The past 2 weeks of updates have been a waste of our loving time

And Dominic Deegan is still loving puppetmastering the entire universe from beyond the loving grave

gently caress

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

My husband and I were trying to decipher the weird expressions on the last page and he suggested that maybe Snout's card was so special he'd get to skip the waiting list. We both laughed at that ridiculous idea.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It it possible for something to be Meta-condescending? Because this entire story now feels like an exercise in having Mookie's standin characters dote on the oh so special dude with a disability, in a "you can do it! So Inspiring!" way.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Wow, even obstacles he/we dont even know about get overcome in seconds with 0 effort. Is there ever going to be conflict in this story that Snout himself has to expend effort to overcome or is it just going to be "oh someone else already took care of this for you have fun"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Snout did have obstacles and conflict that he overcame way back in the beginning. Like, he had to figure out how to get resin from that living tree that flipped him off, which required him to make a plan and execute it. He did get help from the Ink Witch (disguised as the pagefinder spell at the time) but he still came up with the plan himself, she didn't just go "I'll take care of it Snout, don't worry."

As soon as she became his traveling companion, that's when he stopped needing to put forth any amount of effort because mommy did everything for him.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Gonna call it that the book is missing a page and we're going to flail around for days weeks months before the page is literally dumped in Snouts lap.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Twelve by Pies posted:

Snout did have obstacles and conflict that he overcame way back in the beginning. Like, he had to figure out how to get resin from that living tree that flipped him off, which required him to make a plan and execute it. He did get help from the Ink Witch (disguised as the pagefinder spell at the time) but he still came up with the plan himself, she didn't just go "I'll take care of it Snout, don't worry."

As soon as she became his traveling companion, that's when he stopped needing to put forth any amount of effort because mommy did everything for him.

That was also when the comic cared about being wordless. It made some sort of effort at visual composition, expressive actions, and sight gags.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
man i can't believe we're feeling nostalgic for the early days of this comic

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is easily the funniest thing that has happened in this comic in over a year.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

So Mookie just forgot Snout doesn't have his library card. I don't know why I expected anything different.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This comic is incredible.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If the books are currently sitting there in the library, unused, why is there a waitlist to use them.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

So Mookie just forgot Snout doesn't have his library card. I don't know why I expected anything different.

In any other comic you'd assume he just got it back offscreen, but that was literally the only interaction those two had and nothing every happens to Snout offscreen.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

TheHan posted:

If the books are currently sitting there in the library, unused, why is there a waitlist to use them.

Research libraries tend to have one copy of a book that's not for borrowing and can only be read in the library. Of course you normally don't need the specialest of library cards to read them and can instead just, you know, take the book to a table and start reading. And if a book is in the special archive that requires a special library card, why is it also available outside? That kind of defeats the purpose.

But that's what you get when the highest possible stakes are "Snout might have to wait three weeks to read a book" and there is no indication that they're on a time limit and could just chill in Arudak's tower for that time, maybe get to know the freshly cured corpse bride with no repercussions.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It WOULD be very funny if he did just sign up for the waitlist and go home to Arudak's to do more nothing, though.

At least the fact that the illusion guy didn't actually steal his card explains why nobody was concerned about it this whole time. On the other hand, I'm not sure why he looked so worried about his library card before handing it over if he wasn't worried enough to just... get a new library card? Like, you can do that. You can just sign up for a library card. Libraries are free, generally.

I do think this was probably some kind of Dominic seer BS though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hell, a forced waiting period to get to read the book would've made the meandering nature of mookie's storytelling work somewhat better. If the characters consciously know that they've got time in which to dick around then showing them dicking around doesn't feel like it's wasting our time, it just feels like the narrative panning out as planned.

This page does still serve a purpose though, and that's to make Snout into a chosen one.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

All the roads lead to the mongreltown bookstore.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Bismuth posted:

Wow, even obstacles he/we dont even know about get overcome in seconds with 0 effort. Is there ever going to be conflict in this story that Snout himself has to expend effort to overcome or is it just going to be "oh someone else already took care of this for you have fun"

He kinda sorta maybe if you squint had to do stuff to get the pages back

You know, back when the comic had a semblance of forward momentum

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Codependent Poster posted:

He met a mongrelman in the original comic so this could be "I want people like my friend to have access to books", but lol if it just turns out he had another convenient vision and made the library have this rule.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Now the wild edge library being in the middle of nowhere makes even less sense, even as a gag. Why wouldn't it be at Mongreltown?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Now the wild edge library being in the middle of nowhere makes even less sense, even as a gag. Why wouldn't it be at Mongreltown?

Maybe the Mongreltown library is just filled with smut.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Heliotrope posted:

He met a mongrelman in the original comic so this could be "I want people like my friend to have access to books", but lol if it just turns out he had another convenient vision and made the library have this rule.

Like half of it does sound like a very specific vision led him to this, but also "Dominic believed in equal rights for mongrelfolk because he had a friend once and is just that kind of a guy".

But yeah there is no reason for this entire scene other than for people to creepily dote on Snout.

And yeah libraries tend to have special collections of rare books, but there's rarely a waitlist because, well, you can't take them out, you have to read it there. It's hard to really critique this because on the one hand, old-timey libraries absolutely could be pretty strict, but on the other, this is really so close to modernity as to make no difference.

That said, in the past whenever they've gotten close to the mystery of the Legacy of Dominic Deegan, Mookie has gotten stuck and blown things up and sent us all on some other diversion, so I'm at least vaguely curious as to what will happen next to distract us from the empty space at the center of the story.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like half of it does sound like a very specific vision led him to this, but also "Dominic believed in equal rights for mongrelfolk because he had a friend once and is just that kind of a guy".

But not enough to build a building for the Wild Edge library. Or, you know, fund any kind of infrastructure for them.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm new to mocking DD. I have been aware for a long while that the comic is bad and roughly why it's bad - reading Beelzebufo's posts covering the original comic has been very entertaining and educational, so thanks for that! I probably won't read through all of Snout's stuff cus boy is it boring, but I have skimmed through some of the early stuff and the recent stuff.

I'm sure this has been talked about before here, but wow for a comic with no dialogue there sure is a lot of loving words. Like, the idea of a deaf protagonist as a justification for a comic with no dialogue is an interesting idea! But it's obvious Mookie has no idea WHY it's an interesting idea. Like, it's interesting to have a story told fully through its art and character acting. But like a dozen strips in we have signs explaining everything that could very easily be intuited, and then of course the full page of words that is Snout's diary, just explicitly telling us what Snout is thinking. A comic without words should be the ideal of "show don't tell" but instead Mookie is just using it as an excuse to explicitly tell while almost never showing. It truly is baffling.

Welcome to the mock-thread, friend. Much like you, this thread and Beelzebufo's posts have helped explain to me why Mookie is such a loving hack.

The other weird thing about the whole "NO DIALOGUE!" thing is that when this comic first started, there's at least a semblance of effort put into showing Snout do things that interacts with the world around him. But as soon as he meets a character he has to 'talk' to, that's when Mookie got lazy and had him write to the other person so Mookie has less to draw per page.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh yeah that's right, Stunt's backstory changes from "I slit my mama's throat because all women are evil" to "I walked in on her having lesbian sex and the shock caused me to trip and fall on her with a knife."

wasn't it even worse and snout's mom's lover pushed her out a window or something stupid like that? but yes, in dominic deegan a man who loves murdering women is more deserving of redemption than a woman who cheated on her boyfriend once

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

a cartoon duck posted:

wasn't it even worse and snout's mom's lover pushed her out a window or something stupid like that? but yes, in dominic deegan a man who loves murdering women is more deserving of redemption than a woman who cheated on her boyfriend once

Dying makes women sexier, cheating doesn’t.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Books keep mongrelfolk from turning into jocks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Calling it now: This comic will end with Snout meeting Mookie. Not Dominic, Mookie.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

a cartoon duck posted:

Stunt's mother fled from her abusive husband (who practices some more conservative religion to make Luanians look better. It was never mentioned prior to this and is never mentioned again) to the arms of her lover Lizzie. Stunt caught them sitting together on the bed with four feet on the ground fully clothed, his misogyny went into maximum overdrive and he came at Lizzie with a knife but slipped on a banana peel and fatally stabbed his mother in the tits which inflated and gushed blood everywhere. She hung on long enough to verbally say she didn't blame him and none of this was his fault (of course) and then perished. I think Stunt went out the window to escape before the dad came back, but I don't remember anyone being thrown out a window. We'll see soon enough though since I think we finish this arc, then it's Nimmel House, and then Eldariat to Die. .

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because Mookie didn't make up Mongreltown til later.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 9, 2021

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
This thing right here at the library is stupid, but I actually like Dominic donating his works to a random library in the rear end end of nowhere because his gift of prophesy lets him know it's going to be important many years later. I feel like a seer should always be doing weird, inscrutable things because the future demands it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Eldariat To Die is a long long way away. It's chapter 37, we're currently in chapter 20, and some of those chapters are stupidly long. Maltak was an entire year.