Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more I reflect on the finale the less I like it. Lee you condemned the entirety of the Colonial fleet to extinction with this insane clean slate argument and with splitting everyone off into smaller groups.

Plus I'm really not fond of the "ancient aliens taught humans how to be smart" trope, and it's not much better when it's ancient humans from another planet. It's presumptuous and arrogant to assume that humans couldn't come up with concepts on our own and we needed a helping hand to guide us.

The ending is like the worst side of Star Trek where the rejection of technology for a pastoral lifestyle keeps cropping up as this ideal we should strive for. It always sucks so no I'm not going to accept it just because Lee "I am the worst" Adama says we need a clean slate.

And I loving hate the New York scene.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hate Lee Adama so much, I wish Helo had capped his rear end in like season 3 or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope that The Expanse season 6 ends the show well and Leviathan Falls ends the books well because I'm tired of fantasy and science fiction shows either failing to measure up for their conclusions or throwing left field twists and ambiguous endings out there for the sake of stirring conversation in place of telling a conclusive story.

TNG had a great finale, Peacekeeper Wars was a fantastic end to Farscape. DS9 fumbled the ball at the very end, Stargate got canceled, Voyager and Enterprise lol, Game of Thrones double lol, BSG kills off everyone, calls it a happy ending and then does a stupid "or is it?" flip flop by playing Jimi Hendrix before you realize that the last piece of BSG material is actually The Plan which is a two hour long bottle episode where Moore and Eick admit they had no plan and Dean Stockwell is left to his own devices yelling at the rest of the cast.

And no I'm not going to watch The Plan for my re-watch. I'm tired now and I need a new show that doesn't piss me off with wasted potential.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

before you realize that the last piece of BSG material is actually The Plan which is a two hour long bottle episode where Edward James Olmos just films people's dicks in the shower

Ahem.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 25, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also the only part of The Plan that's worth anything is that scene at the end between Tyrol and Gianna, and that final scene where the Cavils are being frogmarched to the airlock and they run into a crowd in the hallway that very pointedly includes Tyrol, Anders, Tory, Saul and Ellen and is like "you know what... gently caress this poo poo. Bring on the tube!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Instead of BSG ending on the reprise of Cavil's "I'm a machine... and I can be so much more" monologue, it should have just been the ghostly refrain of Eddie's gravely voice going "Zoom in on the cock!" over and over again as it all fades to black.

The End.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I dislike the ending because after 4 seasons of people arguing over religion, ethics, war, worker's rights, political legitimacy, etc..., the ending says that the one thing all these people can universally agree on with no discussion or argument is "Let's throw all our technology into the sun and be hunter gatherers"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Foxfire_ posted:

I dislike the ending because after 4 seasons of people arguing over religion, ethics, war, worker's rights, political legitimacy, etc..., the ending says that the one thing all these people can universally agree on with no discussion or argument is "Let's throw all our technology into the sun and be hunter gatherers"

They all wanted to gently caress the filthy cro-magnons. It's the only explanation, that everyone was out of control horny for caveman genitals.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
No Sir, I don't like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Zoom in on the cock"

E: drat lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I did like this exchange:

Roslin: Too bad we're bluffing.
Adama: Are we?
Adama: Mr. Hoshi, order nuclear ground-strike missiles into launch tubes 4-10.
Hoshi: [On the intercom] Aye sir, This is a nuclear mission order...
Roslin: What are you doing?
Adama: Nuking the planet.

:geno:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mr. Hoshi: the most non-character character who became became frigging Admiral during the finale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mr. Hoshi: the most non-character character who became became frigging Admiral during the finale.

Because literally everyone else was dead.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 28, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And they had to make a web series to give him an inkling of a personality by teasing a relationship with Gaeta that only exists in that minisode and is never brought up again.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hoshi could have stayed aboard Galactica and bombarded the planet of caveman fuckers from space and put an end to this whole cycle but no. Not my admiral.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Should have made Hot Dog an admiral.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hot Dog and Kat were the only viper pilots who weren't awful people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sad question posted:

Should have made Hot Dog an admiral.

Isn’t that just nepotism? :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look Hot Dog had a bastard son, Adama can have a bastard son.

Also lol that they made a whole episode about Tyrol tearing down Cally's memory while Adama begs for him to stop destroying the past, only for it to be revealed three episodes later that Cally only rushed into the marriage because she got pregnant and didn't know who the father was after cheating on Tyrol with Hot Dog.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arcsquad12 posted:

Look Hot Dog had a bastard son, Adama can have a bastard son.

Also lol that they made a whole episode about Tyrol tearing down Cally's memory while Adama begs for him to stop destroying the past, only for it to be revealed three episodes later that Cally only rushed into the marriage because she got pregnant and didn't know who the father was after cheating on Tyrol with Hot Dog.

lol wasn't that whole twist only put in because they needed an out for "uhhhh wait, cylons can't father children, how did ~The Final Five~ Tyrol make a baby with Cally??"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol wasn't that whole twist only put in because they needed an out for "uhhhh wait, cylons can't father children, how did ~The Final Five~ Tyrol make a baby with Cally??"

Everything involving Cylon pregnancy in the show is off the wall silly. Cylon baby blood cures cancer! Cylon baby blood cures the bubonic plague! Cylons need love to help babby survive to birth and rejecting love causes them to immediately miscarriage. It would be tragic if it wasn't so hilarious that the same episode Ellen returns to the fleet she manages to kill Six and Tigh's son in under forty minutes by just being Ellen.

Oh poo poo, Tyrol is a Cylon? What about his kid? Wait Tyrol had a kid? poo poo, ahhhhh, Hot Dog, yeah Hot Dog is the father because we made jokes about him sleeping around earlier in the show! Wait, what about Cally and all that talk about how she was a good person and Tyrol was being a self destructive rear end? Oh, she cheated on him right before they were married because we need to find some way to work this Cylon plot out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Maybe it's just the power of Kate Vernon's acting bringing a toxic charisma to the role, but I kind love what a beautiful unapologetic fiery trashmess Ellen Tigh is, both pre- and post-resurrection. Post-resurrection Ellen is like this transcendent otherworldly sage who has all the answers to everything... and is still an absolute trash fire disaster of a person. It's just :kiss:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Final Cut", the one that introduces D'Anna Biers as an embedded reporter bent on undermining the Iraq war effort by showing the military at their worst and most out of control while her bosses back at CNN and MSNBC go "yeees, yeeeesss". The Media are little better than enemy agents! They should be locked up!! How dare she hide behind obviously insincere smokescreens like "freedom of the press" and "I'm sick of having my patriotism questioned"?? OORAH

Only even she is eventually so won over by their honesty and nobility under fire that she turns her hatchet job into a puff piece. Literally says the "thin blue line" line. Not even the lügenpresse can keep from bursting into tears at the swelling OG BSG theme music!

And then lol sike SHE LITERALLY IS AN ENEMY AGENT. Her bosses literally ARE steepling their fingers and going "yeess, yeeesss". Hahaa super good :thumbsup:

Sometimes I feel like this show would get laughed out of the room if they tried to make it today. What a fucker of a time that was

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I guess this is sort of the point, but watching clips of BSG now I find it extremely difficult to like most of the humans on the show.

When I first watched BSG ~12 years ago, I accepted pretty unquestionably that they were the 'good guys' that were "just trying to survive". Looking at it now, the bloodthirstiness doesn't sit well with me at all. I guess it just hasn't aged that well since the Dubya years.

It's really ironic that after their race was almost wiped out by the cylons nuking the Twelve Colonies, the humans (or really just Roslin) decides that it'd be a good idea to genocide the cylons. The humans suck.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
And Lee's all "They're not human, they're programmed :smug:"

EDIT: Isn't the plot from that episode (with the virus that only kills cylons) basically a direct rip of a TNG episode, I want to say something to do with Hugh and the Borg? I am aware that like half of BSG is directly ripped from Trek.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT: Isn't the plot from that episode (with the virus that only kills cylons) basically a direct rip of a TNG episode, I want to say something to do with Hugh and the Borg? I am aware that like half of BSG is directly ripped from Trek.

Basically the same plot only the BSG Picard is gung ho on slaughtering the Borg and it's down to someone like O'Brien or Nurse Ogawa growing a conscience and doing the mercy killing.

It's another one of those dog days of Season 3 stinker episodes. If they weren't doing something completely ridiculous like outrunning a supernova on foot in Eye of Jupiter or dealing with a planet of Anti-vaxxers like The Woman King, they were riffing on TNG and DS9 episodes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

I hadn’t thought of that. Yeah, it’s fairly similar to “I, Borg”. No Helo saving the day in that one, though; Picard independently realizes that genocide is bad and doesn’t follow through with the plan.

Picard is a better person than both Adams and especially Roslin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roslin is Admiral Bitcheyev

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I hadn’t thought of that. Yeah, it’s fairly similar to “I, Borg”. No Helo saving the day in that one, though; Picard independently realizes that genocide is bad and doesn’t follow through with the plan.

Picard is a better person than both Adams and especially Roslin.

Picard is a better person than [I[everyone is all of sci-fi[/I]

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The West Wing was just TNG on the ground.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

The West Wing was just TNG on the ground.

This is really unfair to TNG, The West Wing was a terrible show for awful people

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I guess this is sort of the point, but watching clips of BSG now I find it extremely difficult to like most of the humans on the show.

When I first watched BSG ~12 years ago, I accepted pretty unquestionably that they were the 'good guys' that were "just trying to survive". Looking at it now, the bloodthirstiness doesn't sit well with me at all. I guess it just hasn't aged that well since the Dubya years.

It's really ironic that after their race was almost wiped out by the cylons nuking the Twelve Colonies, the humans (or really just Roslin) decides that it'd be a good idea to genocide the cylons. The humans suck.

People on the business end of a genocide aren't really obligated to cut the people who did it slack, IMO.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Defiance Industries posted:

People on the business end of a genocide aren't really obligated to cut the people who did it slack, IMO.

Maybe not, but they're not obligated to respond in kind either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eh, by that point Adama and Roslin considered wiping out every Cylon that wasn't Athena and Caprica Six to be more of a personal bonus than an obligation :v:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
When you get down to it, nBSG's version of the Cylons and their origins and their rebellion can basically be boiled down to "Read Frankenstein and didn't understand that Frankenstein was the monster and thought that Frankenstein was the monster." At the very least, Mass Effect gets this right with the Quarians and the Geth until they gently caress it all up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The part where the Cylons were still actively hunting them down and trying to render humanity extinct makes that kind of awkward. By the time that episode comes around, there's really not a reason for the colonials to believe they'll eventually escape the Cylons; even the "perfect" hiding place of New Caprica turned out to be a death trap. Not to mention that, as Cavil himself points out, the immortal machines can easily just spend the next ten thousand years visiting every star system in the galaxy.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Also, the last time they had a truce to end a war with the Cylons, the Cylons used it to set up a kill-everybody sneak attack. "Let's have another truce, we super double promise not to try to kill you all this time" isn't very convincing, especially when it's exactly the same people on the Cylon side that did the last one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The part where the Cylons were still actively hunting them down and trying to render humanity extinct makes that kind of awkward. By the time that episode comes around, there's really not a reason for the colonials to believe they'll eventually escape the Cylons; even the "perfect" hiding place of New Caprica turned out to be a death trap. Not to mention that, as Cavil himself points out, the immortal machines can easily just spend the next ten thousand years visiting every star system in the galaxy.

Wasn't that mostly Cavil, Doral and a handful of the others? Most of the cylons grew sick of the chase and wanted to make peace.

Honestly, it was pretty dumb of humans to decide that they were going to just drop everything and settle on that frozen wasteland of a planet. Not that their stupidity justifies what happened on New Cap, but it's a bit difficult for me to feel too much sympathy for their Pokemon surprise face when the cylons inevitably showed up a year or so later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wasn't that mostly Cavil, Doral and a handful of the others? Most of the cylons grew sick of the chase and wanted to make peace.

The Colonials had no way of knowing that, though.