Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Bofast posted:

Speaking of Amazon and game development, they seem to have had some rather excessive demands if you wanted to work for their game studios

Looks like a boilerplate clause they stick in their employment contracts. Makes me wonder if it's in every Amazon employment contract.

Imagine Indie Jane is in college and producing a hobbyist game using RPGMaker. Because she has bills to pay, she does some part-time work at the local Amazon warehouse. Unsurprisingly, she skims over her employment contract, expecting it to relate only to the usual manual labor and accident clauses.

Indie Jane eventually puts out her modest project on Steam and it takes off as one of those viral retro game sensations. Let's say something approaching the success of Undertale or Valheim. Suddenly, out of left field, Amazon breach of contract lawsuit for not licensing her "Personal Game" exclusively on their platform and collaborating with outside parties.

dejapes fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm the looks of disgust and shock

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

dejapes posted:

Looks like a boilerplate clause they stick in their employment contracts. Makes me wonder if it's in every Amazon employment contract.

according to one reply from someone who applied for a warehouse job it very well might be

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Everything was made of wood but nothing on-set was more wooden than Sandi.

.random
May 7, 2007

It makes me uncomfortable even just looking at the position of his right leg :ohdear:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

caleb posted:

I love the movie Ready Player One. I have never seen it but it's great for just instantly knowing something is full of poo poo.

Same. Never seen Ready Player One and I only have surface knowledge of the concept. But I did not notice there is a strong correlation between BS and references to Ready Player One.

Bofast posted:

Speaking of Amazon and game development, they seem to have had some rather excessive demands if you wanted to work for their game studios
https://twitter.com/james7132/status/1412540904225738753

It starts normal enough, but then you get into things like having to sell your hobby game via Amazon's relevant platform(s), having to use their publically available products (and paying for them) and only being allowed to collaborate on your own game with other Amazon employees or with minor dependents in your own household :psyduck:

:five: Oh man. I love this sort of stuff. It's like a Stanley Kubrick movie - you a see a certain beauty in the horror.

All those American oligarchs chimping out about "freedumz" and "the ability to choose you're own path without guberment interference."

And then they come up with this sort of stuff. And the clauses mentioned above are the tip of the iceberg. You don't even get to take a piss while working at masta's warehouse.

Not to mention the childish "everyone does it" comments that always accompany such degeneracy.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That reminds me a bit of the hot minute I actually worked for Hot Topic setting up one of their lovely stores, I dont think those assholes ever paid me come to think of it.
They demanded that employees not socialize outside of work and if you went to a concert, you were supposed to report on the band like some kind of unpaid research person.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

DreadUnknown posted:

They demanded that employees not socialize outside of work

One reason Walmart got driven out of Germany was because they tried poo poo like this. Very illegal, extremely unpopular across the board and through all social strata.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Even not being a lawyer, I think it's pretty obvious that a 'no socialization' clause would not hold up anywhere, but what's the rationale for such a clause?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

Even not being a lawyer, I think it's pretty obvious that a 'no socialization' clause would not hold up anywhere, but what's the rationale for such a clause?

The lower classes might discuss salaries or bad working conditions and get silly ideas about improving things.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Lol @ "You own your game, but by making it you give Amazon all your IP too".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fidelitious posted:

Usually to prevent shenanigans. I’m sure you’ve heard it’s bad advice to date people at work, because if it goes wrong you end up with a hostile workplace. Employers like that even less than the staff, because the bad feeling can permeate the entire business and even end up affecting the customers. Either that or the staff banging each other in the changing rooms causes a queue.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Torquemada posted:

Usually to prevent shenanigans. I’m sure you’ve heard it’s bad advice to date people at work, because if it goes wrong you end up with a hostile workplace. Employers like that even less than the staff, because the bad feeling can permeate the entire business and even end up affecting the customers. Either that or the staff banging each other in the changing rooms causes a queue.

I know a software company where the QA person started dating the developer they tested for. The entire company now considers both departments completely compromised, and management/HR has done nothing to address it. There is resentment with the other devs and QA team members, for obvious reasons. Now bad code is a regular occurrence, and they cover for each other. So yeah, this can completely affect clients, and it has.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

https://twitter.com/james7132/status/1412540904225738753

It starts normal enough, but then you get into things like having to sell your hobby game via Amazon's relevant platform(s), having to use their publically available products (and paying for them) and only being allowed to collaborate on your own game with other Amazon employees or with minor dependents in your own household :psyduck:

Wow that's pretty fun. :)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Gravity_Storm posted:

:vince:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I know a software company where the QA person started dating the developer they tested for. The entire company now considers both departments completely compromised, and management/HR has done nothing to address it. There is resentment with the other devs and QA team members, for obvious reasons. Now bad code is a regular occurrence, and they cover for each other. So yeah, this can completely affect clients, and it has.
For many people, not being allowed to check each other's work would probably even be good for the relationship. I wouldn't want to risk bickering over bugs at home.

Gravity_Storm posted:

What are the odds of Sandi weighing the same as a duck and turning people in newts?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bofast posted:

What are the odds of Sandi weighing the same as a duck and turning people in newts?

Strange women sitting in offices distributing personal grooming tips is no basis for a system of management.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Amazon Lumberyard is dead, long live the permissively licensed Open 3D Engine posted:

"Amazon Lumberyard is dead, long live the permissively licensed Open 3D Engine."
https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/07/open_3d_engine/

As normal Amazon treats it's games div badly but this seems like a win (I Think).

quote:

Throwing in comments on Star Citizen doesn't. They didn't have to use the derogatory adjectives. That's meant to do exactly what you did. Fortunately, I always archive clickbait before viewing. I'm not about to give them the clicks.

For anyone who doesn't want to give them clicks either: https://archive.ph/4Iv2Q

quote:

He was setting down what the industry wants people to agree with. These attacks are to reinforce the narrative that the big publishers wish the world to perceive. They don't like an upstart and one so successful as Chris threatens their stranglehold on the industry. If Chris pulls it off, then others might get the idea that they can succeed. They were content with half witted, or half hearted attempts, but if an independent can pull off a AAA (or as one YouTuber said, AAAA) game that will be a seismic shift in the industry. One still reeling from repeated poor launches.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lovely boring space sim, if released, wil lchange the industry forever, by confirming that nobody actually wants to buy a lovely boring space sim

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Strange women sitting in offices distributing personal grooming tips is no basis for a system of management.

True. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some wooden VP of marketing threw a razor at you.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Hey, remember Illfonic, the original developers of Star Marine? Wonder what they've been up to lately? Whatever it is, since Chris hand picked them to create part of Star Citizen, I'm sure they're pushing the future of PC gaming forward.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

quote:

"Amazon Lumberyard is dead, long live the permissively licensed Open 3D Engine."
https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/07/open_3d_engine/

While SC backers are fantasizing about how CiG will rake in billions in revenue by selling their "revolutionary" technology, back in the real world the game's licensed engine is doing so poorly that it's essentially becoming freeware.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

He was setting down what the industry wants people to agree with. These attacks are to reinforce the narrative that the big publishers wish the world to perceive. They don't like an upstart and one so successful as Chris threatens their stranglehold on the industry. If Chris pulls it off, then others might get the idea that they can succeed. They were content with half witted, or half hearted attempts, but if an independent can pull off a AAA (or as one YouTuber said, AAAA) game that will be a seismic shift in the industry. One still reeling from repeated poor launches.

To this day, they still believe that Chris Roberts is saving PC gaming.

dejapes fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 9, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Saving gaming from what? There are more indie and small game studios than ever before, we are in a golden age of video games. I have a huge Steam library of games I've hardly touched but really want to dive into.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chris can't empty his loving pockets else they will see the vitamins

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

dejapes posted:

While SC backers are fantasizing about how CiG will rake in billions in revenue by selling their "revolutionary" technology, back in the real world the game's licensed engine is doing so poorly that it's essentially becoming freeware.

In a world where Unity and Unreal exist, and not even considering the boundaries Unreal 5 is pushing, CryTek lost the engine race like 15 years ago.

Trying to give it cpr in this day and age didn't work out too well. Not even having an integrated AWS backbone could help make CryEngine more appealing to anybody.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yeah videogames have never been better.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I've head that Andy Serkis, Gillian Andserson and Parp Man have been recalled to imaginarium to mo-cap the handling of food for the new grip mechanics. They are strapping ping pong balls to sausages as we speak.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

In a world where Unity and Unreal exist, and not even considering the boundaries Unreal 5 is pushing, CryTek lost the engine race like 15 years ago.

Trying to give it cpr in this day and age didn't work out too well. Not even having an integrated AWS backbone could help make CryEngine more appealing to anybody.

Definitely. I can't believe we'll go much past 2022 without an engine change announcement, with legions of cultists stalwartly defending the move.

"Lumberyard was always meant to be a tier 0 implementation to prove the backend technology"
"The god tech is in the server not the front end, you guys clearly don't understand MMO development"
"It's not Chris's fault that the engine can't handle 8k textures"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Has an engine change ever not spelled disaster for a game?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lammasu posted:

Has an engine change ever not spelled disaster for a game?

The Need 4 Speed series?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IllFonic has made yet another game.

IllFonic 3 - CIG 0

Arcadegeddon is a co-op shooter available now in early access on PS5 & PC

quote:

IllFonic has become fairly well known at this point for its interesting co-op multiplayer experiences between the likes of Friday the 13th: The Game and Predator: Hunting Grounds. However, its next effort looks altogether different from what we’ve seen the developer put together before. Arcadegeddon is a third-person co-op shooter in which players will fight through a universe of arcade-inspired challenges and biomes. It’s going to be coming out in full in 2022, but IllFonic also revealed it has hit early access on the PS5 and PC via the Epic games Store as of today for players to jump in and try.

Illfonic unveiled Arcadegeddon as part of the PlayStation State of Play presentation on July 8, 2021, in which the game was featured with a revealing trailer. In this game, you and your allies are trying to save a rundown arcade and the only to do that is to enter its gameworld and overcome various challenges across a wealth of arcade-inspired biomes. You’ll be able to go it alone, bring up to three friends, and unleash various weapons a wealth of enemies. You can see the trailer in action below.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

It's funny how certain things trigger recollections of bizarre Star Citizen events.
Who could forget one of their greatest hits: Spending countless hours of development time to implement eye and head stabilization based on birds to make their eyeball-attached first-person camera work, instead of just doing what every other game does.

https://kotaku.com/star-citizens-first-person-view-is-based-on-birds-1787021141

I remember way back when we were all making GBS threads on some "around the verse" video. Somewhere in it a developer was explaining to the fat one how right after citizen-con they are going to implement the damage feedback system in which "The ammo you shoot at a ship will use 'pierceability' to penetrate the hull or whatever and eventually strike a component. That component will create an electrical feedback that will cause realistic effects in the rest of the ship."

It's just as loving insane as a "real" economy, or NPCs falling in love and making bad stock trades and then their NPC children not getting accepted into space college. I think that once crobear said that they had a plan for the geometry of time as ships hit warpspeed over great distances. I work in electrical power, and it's extremely difficult and sometimes impossible to predict what the 24th harmonic is going to do as it interacts with the loss of field kick as the generator is struck by a space bullet.

Found it. They're gonna do it, and it's gonna be better than everything else. The guy shits on other games for "just" having animation effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pWIeT33C-g&t=1201s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Chris Roberts is stored in the balls.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ah man, around the verse. I'm now nostalgic for the great times we had laughing at this piece of poo poo video game

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Saving gaming from what? There are more indie and small game studios than ever before, we are in a golden age of video games. I have a huge Steam library of games I've hardly touched but really want to dive into.

Pretty sure the villains are AAA publishers like EA and Ubisoft and their evil microtransactions and paid DLC.

SC saves gaming by charging hundreds of dollars for a JPG and a promise that one day owning an Idris means that you have paid to win.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I said come in! posted:

The Chris Roberts is stored in the balls.

BRB castrating myself.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

dejapes posted:

To this day, they still believe that Chris Roberts is saving PC gaming.

He is though, by not releasing any games he's actually improved the average quality of games.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Richie Stardust posted:

I remember way back when we were all making GBS threads on some "around the verse" video. Somewhere in it a developer was explaining to the fat one how right after citizen-con they are going to implement the damage feedback system in which "The ammo you shoot at a ship will use 'pierceability' to penetrate the hull or whatever and eventually strike a component. That component will create an electrical feedback that will cause realistic effects in the rest of the ship."

That just sounds like your standard hitboxes with component effects other games have had for ages. Hitting a tank in Arma simulates armour penetration, including depleting ERA tiles if the tank has them, then looks at components that might get hit, like engine, crew, armaments, ammunition, optics, fuel tanks. You can take out tracks, take out crew, disable weapons, and so on.

It's really not revolutionary or hard to do and hobbyists have even expanded on it with new effects, like ammo cook off.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

how many different effects could there possibly be from hitting a ship? i don't mean something like shooting out a shield generator to knock out shields or hitting an ammo store. if i hit a ship center mass and it pierces a bunch of electronics what could possibly happen outside of power going out or, in the worst case, some manner of electrical discharge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Well first you have to consider the argon levels in the air...