Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The turn-based mode in POE2 was purely a one-person project by somebody on the Obsidian team who did it on their own just to see if it would work, from memory. They added it as an option as a late patch but the game was never designed with it in mind, and without an extra half-health mod I believe it makes a lot of battles last way, way longer than they normally would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, grabbed Project Wingman from Steam and Monster Hunter Stories 2 from the GMG deal. I trust the posters that said I am going to have a good time flying around and blowing stuff up. And I can’t go wrong with more Monster Hunter.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zereth posted:

You can't switch modes mid-game in POE2 and some mechanics just... don't work in it. Like, you can't actually get more actions per round in it, so any build where being fast is a significant part of it just... doesn't have that part work.

I picked a monk for my MC when I tried playing POE2. :shepface:

Am I weird for thinking "monk = fighter" in RPGs is weird? When I think of "monk" I think of Buddhism.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shaolin monks are buddhist

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I weird for thinking "monk = fighter" in RPGs is weird? When I think of "monk" I think of Buddhism.

Well yeah, they're based on some kind of famous Buddhist monks.

e:fb

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be honest if i read the word "monk" in a vacuum i'd think of like a trappist monk which would be even weirder

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i'd have a hard time breathing

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'd 100% be in to play as a dumpy dude in a brown robe who just gets drunk in encounters and makes copies of books but adds pictures of dudes farting into trumpets or riding dicks. It's very hard to purchase a good quality robe these days.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

You're not wrong, fantasy RPGs usually regard Monk as synonimous to "Martial Artist", which would probably be a better name for the archetype in 93% of the settings that have it.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Cinara posted:

It's really sad, I want Tribes to be a thing again, but Midair will never be it.
You and me both. I had such a good time with Tribes back when, I wish it was still around.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress me, i was just thinking about playing tribes again. Any servers still somehow clinging for dear life? or is all shut down?

Didnt Hi Rez say they'd bring back Tribes Ascend on account of smite making money? I feel like that happened years ago

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I wonder how much Hi-Rez would let the Tribes license go for. Ascend could be brought back with all the assets intact and not much extra work needed since as I mentioned, some dev fixed up most of the longstanding issues towards the end and it was basically near perfect at time of server shutdown.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress me, i was just thinking about playing tribes again. Any servers still somehow clinging for dear life? or is all shut down?

Didnt Hi Rez say they'd bring back Tribes Ascend on account of smite making money? I feel like that happened years ago

There are Tribes 1 and 2 master servers but the community is pretty much entirely mid-to-high level PUGS and tournament type games for both games, there aren't any just games running like there were a few years ago when TribesNext came out. Fusor Fridays, a T2 event that runs every month through the TribesNext discord, is on hiatus for summer but will be back around the fall or winter.

Tribes Ascend is still playable through Steam and people ping to fill servers also through a discord. It is also mostly comprised of people who are very scary because of long-time Tribes in general or now that Ascend is nearing a decade but the couple times I've dipped in it was mostly chill, if a little internet-y.

Ultimately if you have let your Tribes skills lapse you are probably going to have a very bad time in any of these environments, but if the nostalgia is the hit you want most then they're there and all pretty chill to new people.

E: Also fair disclaimer, it has been a couple years since I was checking in on any of these communities and the general gaming vibe has gotten considerably more chudly and bullshit in the last couple years so I can't vouch that they haven't gone that way too, unfortunately.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 9, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Orv posted:

My stance remains that I haven't liked an Obsidian game since AP and I am aware that this makes me a raging psychopath for not liking NV but I have tried and tried again to play that game and I just cannot.
Wooah there buddy, youre gonna blow yourself up, blow the whole town up with that take. When did you play NV? I played it around 2013 and it felt a little dated around that time, I tried to get my friends to play it around 2018 and it went as well as you'd expect. If we were to get a remaster of that game, I would like an entirely new voice cast minus Mr. House and Benny. A lot of the VA is pretty dreadful, and it seems like the majority of the male NPCs are voiced by Guy 1 and Guy 2. It kinda kills my enjoyment. Cant say much about the story, but I did like that it was the first Obsidian game in a while where I felt engaged to participate in the plot. Fallout 3, 4, Oblivion and Skyrim all failed to hook me into doing the main quests because of their uninteresting start points. New Vegas was pretty quick to show you what you can do and who you could cozy up with which would immediately start affecting the plot of the game.

AP was pretty legit. I think I did about 4 playthroughs of it. One thing I really loved (that I wish more games did) was making relationships with adversaries work. It was cool to have the bad guys grow a grudging level of respect for you, and ditto going out of your way to make them absolutely loathe you. Gameplay was pretty dog crap and for 3 of those 4 playthroughs I played on Easy/Normal and put points into Pistols to where I could chain up like 7 shots and instamurder baddies. But man that story - and the number of ways you could twist it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

buglord posted:

Wooah there buddy, youre gonna blow yourself up, blow the whole town up with that take. When did you play NV? I played it around 2013 and it felt a little dated around that time, I tried to get my friends to play it around 2018 and it went as well as you'd expect. If we were to get a remaster of that game, I would like an entirely new voice cast minus Mr. House and Benny. A lot of the VA is pretty dreadful, and it seems like the majority of the male NPCs are voiced by Guy 1 and Guy 2. It kinda kills my enjoyment. Cant say much about the story, but I did like that it was the first Obsidian game in a while where I felt engaged to participate in the plot. Fallout 3, 4, Oblivion and Skyrim all failed to hook me into doing the main quests because of their uninteresting start points. New Vegas was pretty quick to show you what you can do and who you could cozy up with which would immediately start affecting the plot of the game.

AP was pretty legit. I think I did about 4 playthroughs of it. One thing I really loved (that I wish more games did) was making relationships with adversaries work. It was cool to have the bad guys grow a grudging level of respect for you, and ditto going out of your way to make them absolutely loathe you. Gameplay was pretty dog crap and for 3 of those 4 playthroughs I played on Easy/Normal and put points into Pistols to where I could chain up like 7 shots and instamurder baddies. But man that story - and the number of ways you could twist it.

I played NV on release day, did the content (that I am aware of) in the starting town, in the town with the roller coaster and during that attempt I reached the town where they're crucifying people and you run into the Legion for the first time. And I wasn't enjoying myself at basically any point so I closed the game and didn't go back for a few years. Over the years I've tried again and again, I think I'm up to nine total attempts to play NV, some with mods, some without and every time I burn out in or not much further than the rollercoaster town.

I honestly don't have a solid answer for why I don't like it as much as I do, it's kind of a nebulous distaste and lack of enjoyment that I can't pin down. My best guesses are that for starters, I'm not joking, I really do think the writing in Obsidian games is terrible. That's subjective and purely on me but I cannot stand a single character you meet in those opening few hours. Second and honestly this might be more problematic for my enjoyment than anything, I have spent my entire life in deserts, my childhood and later adulthood thus far in a desert pretty similar to NV's surroundings, though a bit wetter overall. Without getting too weepy about it, my childhood was a trash fire of abuse and I think the distaste for the environment both from an aesthetic standpoint - deserts loving suck - and those memories of places like this mean I'm never going to be able to enjoy it as a recreational thing.

It's probably a combo of both, with some heavy elements from either issue, but while I am definitely dropping "I don't think Obsidian has made more than two good games" as a nuclear take for the fun of it, I'm also not making a hot take at all, that's my genuine, albeit subjective feelings on their games. :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm still waiting for an RPG brave enough to give us kung-fu gregorian monks

Orv posted:

I played NV on release day, did the content (that I am aware of) in the starting town, in the town with the roller coaster and during that attempt I reached the town where they're crucifying people and you run into the Legion for the first time. And I wasn't enjoying myself at basically any point so I closed the game and didn't go back for a few years. Over the years I've tried again and again, I think I'm up to nine total attempts to play NV, some with mods, some without and every time I burn out in or not much further than the rollercoaster town.

I honestly don't have a solid answer for why I don't like it as much as I do, it's kind of a nebulous distaste and lack of enjoyment that I can't pin down. My best guesses are that for starters, I'm not joking, I really do think the writing in Obsidian games is terrible. That's subjective and purely on me but I cannot stand a single character you meet in those opening few hours. Second and honestly this might be more problematic for my enjoyment than anything, I have spent my entire life in deserts, my childhood and later adulthood thus far in a desert pretty similar to NV's surroundings, though a bit wetter overall. Without getting too weepy about it, my childhood was a trash fire of abuse and I think the distaste for the environment both from an aesthetic standpoint - deserts loving suck - and those memories of places like this mean I'm never going to be able to enjoy it as a recreational thing.

It's probably a combo of both, with some heavy elements from either issue, but while I am definitely dropping "I don't think Obsidian has made more than two good games" as a nuclear take for the fun of it, I'm also not making a hot take at all, that's my genuine, albeit subjective feelings on their games. :shrug:

For what it's worth I was extremely bored with the game at the exact points you mentioned and just skip them on any new saves I've started, but it got exciting to me at the very next location you go to (Novac) and went on to become one of my favorite games. But as someone with a mediocre upbringing in Arizona I feel you on the desert part and probably wouldn't want to play if it was the sonoran instead of the mojave

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 9, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The new Monster Hunter spinoff RPG is out on Steam now. It has a demo too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished alwa's legacy. that game loving ruled. i hope they make it a trilogy and have the next one be 32-bit

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

finished alwa's legacy. that game loving ruled. i hope they make it a trilogy and have the next one be 32-bit

hifive fellow alwa's fan. criminally underappreciated series. I hope they make one million more games.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

deep dish peat moss posted:

I enjoy laboring over my character's build and min/maxing it myself without reading guides, and in POE2 that was both impossible and unnecessary.

Oh doing so is very helpful on Path of the Damned even without any of the god challenges turned on :eng101: I don't consider it impossible to figure everything out though, but it definitely helps that character respecs are dirt cheap at any inn in the game and you can just exchange your spells for a pittance if you feel you picked wrong. Especially since a lot of cipher spells are really hard to envision based on what their stats page says, haha.

When it first came out the hardest difficulty (Path of the Damned) for PoE2 was way too easy, like on par with Hard in PoE1, but they fixed it over the first couple patches and it's back to letting you tinker endlessly with your party's builds without it feeling like a waste of time. It's a marvel of design how you can make it through the game with just about any party composition as long as you put a lot of thought/effort in when doing something really stupid.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

La-Mulana
I went into La-Mulana with an open mind and the best intentions, but boy did this game really strain my good will around the 50% mark onward. Puzzles: Imagine you're trying to mull over the worst version of a Myst puzzle, but bats are also biting you in the rear end. Bosses: DPS races that start bad and just got more frustrating as the game went on, some of which end with a instant death attack because the developer hates you. It's not all terrible, exploration and making progress was pretty satisfying I guess, but in the end I was just playing out of sheer stubbornness to see it through. My final time was around 22 hours, but it actually took me double that from all the deaths and resets. From the achievements, only 5% of players beat the game and I'm not at all surprised. Now on to the sequel! :shepicide:

Gris
The opposite of La-Mulana. A very simple platformer that is really just a showcase for absolutely gorgeous art and music. Look at a screenshot and if the idea of immersing yourself in that world to experience feelings of wonder and mild melancholia for a few hours seems at all appealing, then go for it. I loved it.

Superliminal
A first-person puzzler (think Portal, Talos Principle, etc) based around perception. I loved all of these post-Portal games and this one is an amazing addition if that's also your bag. This game is just full of neat little gimmicks and surprises. I actually recorded a gif of the very first puzzle, but I went in completely blind and that's really the way to play. It's not perfect, one puzzle made no sense to me even after looking up the solution, but you can't win em all. It only took me around 3 hours to complete, but I intend to go through again with the dev commentary.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Trickyblackjack posted:

Now on to the sequel!

Fortunately, the sequel improves a lot of the worse aspects of the original game. The controls are tighter, for one thing. Unfortunately the bosses are still... uh, very varied in terms of difficulty level. :v: It was also rather buggy on release, but I think they fixed most of that by now?

Personally, I liked the second game better, but still hold a soft spot for the original original (the free faux-MSX one).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trickyblackjack posted:

Gris
The opposite of La-Mulana. A very simple platformer that is really just a showcase for absolutely gorgeous art and music. Look at a screenshot and if the idea of immersing yourself in that world to experience feelings of wonder and mild melancholia for a few hours seems at all appealing, then go for it. I loved it.

Absolutely seconding this. Relaxing, very pretty, with an incredible soundtrack.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Trickyblackjack posted:

La-Mulana
I went into La-Mulana with an open mind and the best intentions, but boy did this game really strain my good will around the 50% mark onward. Puzzles: Imagine you're trying to mull over the worst version of a Myst puzzle, but bats are also biting you in the rear end. Bosses: DPS races that start bad and just got more frustrating as the game went on, some of which end with a instant death attack because the developer hates you. It's not all terrible, exploration and making progress was pretty satisfying I guess, but in the end I was just playing out of sheer stubbornness to see it through. My final time was around 22 hours, but it actually took me double that from all the deaths and resets. From the achievements, only 5% of players beat the game and I'm not at all surprised. Now on to the sequel! :shepicide:
How was Hell Temple?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Count Uvula posted:

Oh doing so is very helpful on Path of the Damned even without any of the god challenges turned on :eng101: I don't consider it impossible to figure everything out though, but it definitely helps that character respecs are dirt cheap at any inn in the game and you can just exchange your spells for a pittance if you feel you picked wrong. Especially since a lot of cipher spells are really hard to envision based on what their stats page says, haha.

When it first came out the hardest difficulty (Path of the Damned) for PoE2 was way too easy, like on par with Hard in PoE1, but they fixed it over the first couple patches and it's back to letting you tinker endlessly with your party's builds without it feeling like a waste of time. It's a marvel of design how you can make it through the game with just about any party composition as long as you put a lot of thought/effort in when doing something really stupid.

In my current playthrough Eder is a damage dealer bow-rogue, Aloth is the tank and I'm playing a single-pistol wielding Ranger/Wizard Spellgun. The build variety in PoE 2 really is fantastic.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 9, 2021

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Has anyone played Being a DIK or Acting Lessons which is currently on sale?

I'm a fan of adventure games/visual novels and from the user reviews, it seems that the plot and story beats are pretty decent, especially for the genre which it exists among.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Let's play Guess What Game This Review is For

Hint: It's Power Wash Simulator

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

shoc77 posted:

Has anyone played Being a DIK or Acting Lessons which is currently on sale?

I'm a fan of adventure games/visual novels and from the user reviews, it seems that the plot and story beats are pretty decent, especially for the genre which it exists among.

I think those ones are literally just porn.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think those ones are literally just porn.

Porn made with Poser, at that

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Does anyone have an extra Nioh 2 key from the sale for whatever reason? I meant to pick it up but kept getting sidetracked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Does anyone have an extra Nioh 2 key from the sale for whatever reason? I meant to pick it up but kept getting sidetracked.

That's unlikely, it cost 40$+ even on the sale's deepest discounts.

Which is to say, :sigh: anyone else got a key of it? I was thinking about it but then the sale was over and welp! I'll get it next one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nioh 2 Complete Edition has a historical low price of 47,99€ according to is there any deal.

Which is also the current price through Voidu with the discount code ISTHEREANYDEAL10

If the above isn't a good price for you, it wouldn't have been better during the Steam sale either, so better wait for a deeper discount. Additionally, you cannot store Steam Gifts anymore, so asking if anyone bought a spare during the Steam sale is kind of pointless.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Nioh 2 Complete Edition has a historical low price of 47,99€ according to is there any deal.

Which is also the current price through Voidu with the discount code ISTHEREANYDEAL10

If the above isn't a good price for you, it wouldn't have been better during the Steam sale either, so better wait for a deeper discount. Additionally, you cannot store Steam Gifts anymore, so asking if anyone bought a spare during the Steam sale is kind of pointless.

With the caveat that this doesn't really matter and I'm nitpicking because I can, Nioh 2 was on sale for 35$ through newegg and that's way better than the 55 USD you're mentioning here. (assuming google isn't lying to me about currency rates)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Saoshyant posted:

ITAD being screwy again. Newegg had a digital download code of it for $34usd at the same time as the Steam sale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

ITAD being screwy again. Newegg had a digital download code of it for $34usd at the same time as the Steam sale.

Ah, I guess that would explain why Uppercut inquired about a key. And here I thought ITAD was the still the go-to to get accurate sale prices, current and historical lows. What alternative are people using now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anyways I got a silly request. Anyone know of more mmo-singleplayer games like Kingdom of Amalur and/or Final Fantasy 12? I fuckin' LOVE the weird generic quests, the open maps that respawn groups of enemies, and collecting lots of things. I've played FF12 to death but I'm just diving into Amalur and it's exactly my jam and I'm wondering - anything else like it?

Do not recommend any actual MMOs, I do not want to interact with other people when I'm doing my put-a-checkmark-next-to-the-quest gaming.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, I guess that would explain why Uppercut inquired about a key. And here I thought ITAD was the still the go-to to get accurate sale prices, current and historical lows. What alternative are people using now?

It's still ITAD, it's reliable except when you have weird corner cases with newegg deals and such, or different editions of games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways I got a silly request. Anyone know of more mmo-singleplayer games like Kingdom of Amalur and/or Final Fantasy 12? I fuckin' LOVE the weird generic quests, the open maps that respawn groups of enemies, and collecting lots of things. I've played FF12 to death but I'm just diving into Amalur and it's exactly my jam and I'm wondering - anything else like it?

Do not recommend any actual MMOs, I do not want to interact with other people when I'm doing my put-a-checkmark-next-to-the-quest gaming.

Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty much exactly that but it's not on PC of course. Trying to think of other examples

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Monster Hunter maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, there are a lot of MMO's where you can absolutely do 90% of the content without ever having to interact with another player.