Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So many movies do this when a character starts off important then ends up on the cutting room floor.
Speaking of this and Bright, the Elven girl they rescue (and stays silent for most of the movie)...is silent for most of the movie cause she was supposed to be a literal child in an earlier script, but they decided to change her character but kept most of her previous script till 3/4 of the movie.

And staying on another Ayer script (that was cut and pasted together multiple times), in Suicide Squad we get a lot of time dedicated to a prison guard named Griggs at the start of the movie; instead of getting introduced to the cast, we get several scenes showing how bad this guy is to a few of them. This clearly sets up some kind of payback, to the point that when the squad is being carried away from the prison, Harley Quinn starts laughing and goes "You're so screwed!" at Griggs, with him panicking. Except that is the last time Griggs appears in the movie. Even at the end, when the team is back in prison, Griggs never comes back :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah literally the only changes in history are additive. The funniest thing is that 2000 years ago there was a massive LotR battle between the forces of good and evil AND YET the defining moment for our calendars is still the birth of our Lord JC and Christendom is still the dominant religion since the time of the Romans (the Roman Empire also happened even if it cohexisted with basically Middle Earth); the people in the Americas were supplanted by Europeans and America was "discovered" in 1492 in the same way, even if this world has had magic for thousands of years; Orcs are an allegory for black people, but BLM exists which means that probably the slave trade happened like in our world; same for the Alamo; at the same time, the Elves are set up as these all-powerful, superior caste but have taken part in no discernible way in any of these events; and so on.

As much as people made Shadowrun knockoff jokes, it really seems like the kind of thing where a writer who's never done fantasy decides to give it a try while doing no research into what's already been done, and thinking they must be a genius for coming up with the idea and end up inordinately proud of something deeply unimaginative and derivative that they clearly put no deeper thought into 'what if elves... but today!?'

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inzombiac posted:

Bright could have been okay if
1) Max Landis did us all a favor and died in a vat of acid
2) They actually shaped the world as if those other humanoid species exists for as long as they supposedly did.

Shadowrun is interesting because the new "species" of human happen nearly over night, along with the awakening of magic and it causes the world to nearly end in chaos.

Bright just says, "what if Mexicans were monsters?"

Man I'd love for a Shadowrun TV show. When I got the sourcebook I read through the history part like three times, was fascinating the amount of thought that had gone into the world's development (funny that seeing the proposed Lovecraft County US map reminded me of it). The mechanics were just a slog to play through.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah literally the only changes in history are additive. The funniest thing is that 2000 years ago there was a massive LotR battle between the forces of good and evil AND YET the defining moment for our calendars is still the birth of our Lord JC and Christendom is still the dominant religion since the time of the Romans (the Roman Empire also happened even if it cohexisted with basically Middle Earth); the people in the Americas were supplanted by Europeans and America was "discovered" in 1492 in the same way, even if this world has had magic for thousands of years; Orcs are an allegory for black people, but BLM exists which means that probably the slave trade happened like in our world; same for the Alamo; at the same time, the Elves are set up as these all-powerful, superior caste but have taken part in no discernible way in any of these events; and so on.

Also. Shrek happened.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are those his ears or did I miss part of the movie where they act like trumpets?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are those his ears or did I miss part of the movie where they act like trumpets?

It's where he cums from but the movie isn't allowed to show it since it's for kids

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Once again I have to go out and buy the book.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Android Apocalypse posted:

Tenet is on TV right now and I'm pretty sure the suit in charge that disregarded the complaints test audiences had with the plot was Christopher Nolan.

Tenet was a movie whose creator was way too proud of how clever making the movie made him feel and undeservedly so. Which is a pity because Memento was ingenious but Nolan's been on a downwards trend basically for his entire career.

The plot of Tenet was actually relatively straightforward for something that gained a reputation for being confusing, but ultimately I feel that any confusion caused by the film was largely because of how poorly conveyed the action and dialogue was, with a dash of "no, that's not ingenious 4-dimensional thinking, it's actually just dumb if you think about it for more than a few seconds".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

(the Roman Empire also happened even if it cohexisted with basically Middle Earth)

Makes sense to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Tenet was a movie whose creator was way too proud of how clever making the movie made him feel and undeservedly so. Which is a pity because Memento was ingenious but Nolan's been on a downwards trend basically for his entire career.

The plot of Tenet was actually relatively straightforward for something that gained a reputation for being confusing, but ultimately I feel that any confusion caused by the film was largely because of how poorly conveyed the action and dialogue was, with a dash of "no, that's not ingenious 4-dimensional thinking, it's actually just dumb if you think about it for more than a few seconds".

Yea it really was just a dumb concept that had no business being made into the core of a feature film. Nolan just wanted to top himself and he doesn't seem to have any self-awareness at this point.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In Shrek 4 they act like trumpets

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

(Tenet) To be fair audiences are dumb as hell and anything that isn't explicitly spelled out goes over a loooot of people's heads

How often did they show the little coin or whatever it was on Robert Pattinson's bag to really drive home that he was the guy from the beginning of the movie who saved Protag's life, and then there's still a bunch of articles and questions about what happened there and who was that person it's such a deep plot.

I liked it, just because it's a unique concept. Like, yeah the plot itself is pretty basic but the time fuckery wrapper was something I hadn't seen before. Made for some neat action scenes too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bitterandtwisted posted:

In Shrek 4 they act like trumpets

Do I need to watch 2 and 3 to understand Shrek 4?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Once again I have to go out and buy the book.

I still need to see the original book Shrek is from, every page I've seen is basically a complete shitpost.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Do I need to watch 2 and 3 to understand Shrek 4?

shrek 4 is about coming to terms with his fame and family, his nostalgia for the good ol days of being a swamp rear end in a top hat, and the fallout of making a wish that effectively erases from him the timeline (leading to an alternate reality where everything's gone to poo poo), so legitimately yeah you probably won't understand a lot about shrek 4 if you haven't seen the other movies lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

shrek 4 is about coming to terms with his fame and family, his nostalgia for the good ol days of being a swamp rear end in a top hat, and the fallout of making a wish that effectively erases from him the timeline (leading to an alternate reality where everything's gone to poo poo), so legitimately yeah you probably won't understand a lot about shrek 4 if you haven't seen the other movies lol

Also it talks about his ejaculatory ears finally

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And where does movie about the swordfighting cat fit in?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THat reminds me, while I l;ove Puss in Boots and thought it was funny. I hate that plot thing of "Beloved character is framed for something and his closest friend won't even let him explain." It makes me just feel like "Well gently caress you too lady", and kills any sympathy I had for the character. Clearly he has a good alibi, and you are just hitting him with "Please, don't make it worse by lying..." It's like, how much did you really care about him? Maybe he should have let you get eaten by a giant chicken, you clearly are an rear end in a top hat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's a giant chicken?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a fun movie. Despite that plot niggle early on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wish people would stop using that word because I got very concerned for a moment about Shrek's cat friend.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:catstare:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the kind of thing where a writer who's never done fantasy decides to give it a try while doing no research into what's already been done, and thinking they must be a genius for coming up with the idea and end up inordinately proud of something deeply unimaginative and derivative that they clearly put no deeper thought into 'what if elves... but today!?'

The term for that is 'magical realism'

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Shrek 2 is one of the best movies ever.

Shrek 3 you can skip.

I still don't understand the twist in Puss in Boots. So the egg is a golden egg so one day he will hatch into a goose?

a big egg
Mar 26, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Shrek 2 is one of the best movies ever.

Shrek 3 you can skip.

I still don't understand the twist in Puss in Boots. So the egg is a golden egg so one day he will hatch into a goose?

Shrek 3 is the one with the led zeppelin shrek song I'm supposed to like but don't so I'll agree with you there. But it's Shrek the Third, not Shrek 3.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tunicate posted:

The term for that is 'magical realism'

Of all the terms you could use, that's... really not it. Magical realism is something completely separate, and even more poorly understood.

'Urban fantasy' has been a thing for decades at this point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its completely bonkers that they made 4 Shrek movies and they all made it to theaters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All the talk of Suicide Squad led to watching a bunch of clips on youtube last night.

Have to say, each individual scene holds up really well as little character moments. Fast, witty, engaging and charismatic actors.

But the movie itself is somehow less than the sum of its parts. The anti-synergy.

Mainly because, in the clips, you don't need to worry about the plot. But that's okay - the makers of the movie didn't either.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

muscles like this! posted:

Its completely bonkers that they made 4 Shrek movies and they all made it to theaters.

They made five moves that made it to theatres, plus two holiday specials, a tv series and a broadway musical that got 8 tony nominations

edit: and two more theatrical releases coming next year. Guillermo del Toro is producing

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Jul 9, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of all the terms you could use, that's... really not it. Magical realism is something completely separate, and even more poorly understood.

Yes, it's more properly defined as fantasy by auteurs who consider writing 'genre' beneath them.

The auteur never having read fantasy or done any research is very common but not technically required.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Jul 9, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wish people would stop using that word because I got very concerned for a moment about Shrek's cat friend.

What word? Fun?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All the talk of Suicide Squad led to watching a bunch of clips on youtube last night.

Have to say, each individual scene holds up really well as little character moments. Fast, witty, engaging and charismatic actors.

But the movie itself is somehow less than the sum of its parts. The anti-synergy.

Mainly because, in the clips, you don't need to worry about the plot. But that's okay - the makers of the movie didn't either.

A lot makes sense on the news that it got murdered on the cutting room floor. Seems a theme with WB.

Tunicate posted:

Yes, it's more properly defined as fantasy by auteurs who consider writing 'genre' beneath them.

The auteur never having read fantasy or done any research is very common but not technically required.

Yeah, and somehow it ends up without even the remotely interesting charm of amateur genre fantasy, which at least tends to show some signs of actual effort and interpretation. 'Fantasy heartbreaker' is used in TG a lot for RPGs that are clearly just the author's attempt to take baby steps outside D&D or whatever their home system is, but even those tend to show some personality and commentary even when they're really bad. (and often are)

I suppose it doesn't help most genre fiction has a reputation of being ridiculously derivative, incestuous and afraid to experiment, but then, you're not going to do much better by going in with only the most shallow knowledge of the genre at all.

Has there ever been any examples of a writer/director talking about how they went into a genre they don't have experience with and the process they took to learn about it and create their own story with it?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot makes sense on the news that it got murdered on the cutting room floor. Seems a theme with WB.
To be fair, it looks like neither cut (the Ayer one, the second one done by the company that did the trailer for it and the one that arrived in the theaters after the reshoots) was really any good. Ayer's cut was definitely less pop/more dark and you can see it in several scenes that were left in the final product (like the one at the beginning when the aforementioned prison guard Griggs is shown taking selfies while torturing Harley). The fact that the movie got Frankenstein'd did do it any favors and it's a screenplay or editing mess.

There's a good Folding Ideas video about the editing of the movie in particular and it's such a shitshow...the most egregious one being at the end once Harley has cut off Enchantress's heart, there is a totally unnecessary quick cut to Joel Kinnaman saying "her heart is out, we can end this!" and then when the camera goes back to the action...the heart is no longer in Harley's hand, but under a bench? Harley is in a different position and she's tossing a revolver; Enchantress has also moved to a different spot. On top of that, the "audience reminder" is doubly annoying since the fact that Enchantress's heart is her weakspot has been at this point told to the audience about 10 times. It's literally scenes from 2 different scripts/storyboards patched together in a super messy way.

The part in the spoiler is at this timestamp (starts at 10:34 if the timestamp doesn't work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDclQowcE9I&t=634s

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Jul 9, 2021

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

There's a good Folding Ideas video

Okay, I know this is the SA forums, home of the poison womb and 9/11 parody gifs and we all like to clown around but... let's not cross the line now, huh? Some things you just don't joke about.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
From Die Hard,

Hans Gruber posted:

When they touch down, we'll blow the roof, they'll spend a month sifting through rubble, and by the time they figure out what went wrong, we'll be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.

When in history has anyone ever earned 20%?

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

Tunicate posted:

lol nerd

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Saerdna posted:

lol nerd

imagine what it takes to try to be a nerd and to fail at it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Torquemada posted:

From Die Hard,

When in history has anyone ever earned 20%?

The 80s.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

imagine what it takes to try to be a nerd and to fail at it

Haha yeah Borges and Saramago tried to write fantasy and failed because they didn't take the time to study the collected Tolkien fan fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Tunicate posted:

I am unsure if this is supposed to describe Bright or magical realism. If it's the former, fair enough. But if it's the latter, then some of the 20th century 's best writers might want a word with you...

By the way, is it irrational to say that Ayers entire career is an irritating movie moment? Training Day was fun, but then it just feels like he keeps making the same film time and again. To me, he's the definition of a one-trick-pony with diminishing returns.