Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I started a steel soul run today. I haven't played in a while and it's been fun to just restart fresh. I'm at a point where I can go to the mantis Lords or Soul Society and both make me nervous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bleck posted:

the only cheevo I never got on steam was the "100% on steel soul" one - I am only mortal

This one is much easier these days, since you only need 100%, not 117%, you can swap out some bullshit (trial of the fool) for some other, nicer bullshit (a dream boss).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Worth noting that getting the better ending requires completing a very long and difficult platforming segment, much more difficult than any other platforming challenge in the game. You may be better off following a guide for it to find easier ways through and builds that will help you for it, because it is *much* harder than rescuing Bretta and it goes on for a *very* long time.

Or just take a break to play through Celeste and then come back a platforming pro!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lots of new posts!

...oh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Lots of new posts!

...oh

what...were you expecting, exactly

there's a separate silksong thread, that's the one that's going to go bananas when an update drops

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

people are talking about hollow knight in the hollow knight thread????? 😱

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Waltzing Along posted:

Lots of new posts!

...oh

Forum rule #2 my friend

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Who's more probatable? The poster posting about posting? Or you, the poster posting about the poster posting about posting?

Or me, the poster posting about the poster posting about the poster posting about posting?

Answer: we're all equally deserving.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This is hard work, but I don't mind. Down here, I can k-keep posting without even sleeping. It's fun!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean I don't have the silksong thread bookmarked because I want as close to 0 information about the actual content of the game as possible, but I still expect this thread is going to go a little nuts when there's an actual release date.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You can safely bookmark the silksong thread since we have pretty much zero information about it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Martman posted:

This is hard work, but I don't mind. Down here, I can k-keep posting without even sleeping. It's fun!

:golfclap:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Martman posted:

I hope this story arc ends better than the one in game. :(

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Organza Quiz posted:

Worth noting that getting the better ending requires completing a very long and difficult platforming segment, much more difficult than any other platforming challenge in the game. You may be better off following a guide for it to find easier ways through and builds that will help you for it, because it is *much* harder than rescuing Bretta and it goes on for a *very* long time.

Or just take a break to play through Celeste and then come back a platforming pro!

It kicked my rear end the first time through but on the replay I have to say it's really not so bad.

Anyways if you want an easy mode for hollow knight just use magic, it does way, way more damage than the nail. Descending Dark is three hits worth with i-frames, abyss shriek is 4 hits. With the spell power charm those become 4 and 6 hits, respectively. (Vs a fully upgraded nail.)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hey friends I have picked up this game finally and it's amazing.

Quick question about the Grimm Troupe, do y'all recommend I finish the quest for the nightmare guy, or do I go along with the other dude and banish them?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

bike tory posted:

Quick question about the Grimm Troupe, do y'all recommend I finish the quest for the nightmare guy, or do I go along with the other dude and banish them?

100% finish the quest.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

bike tory posted:

Finish the quest for what is the best boss fight in the game. Banish with the other dude if you can't hack it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah. mechanical spoilers: completing the quest gives you access to one of the coolest bosses in the game. banishing them locks that out (unless you do like all the hardcore pantheon bullshit) and all you get is a mediocre charm to replace grimmchild. granted grimmchild isn't super useful either but the replacement is really not worth its notch cost.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bike tory posted:

Don't abandon your new husband and child. Finish the ritual.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok, will do. Speaking of "hardcore pantheon bullshit" is there any reason to do all these with the bindings on other than got completionist sake? I don't care about getting all achievements and poo poo. The game's fun, but not so fun that I'd like to repeat these pantheon trials while nerfed just for the sake of a challenge.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

doing enough bindings* lets you unlock lifeblood you can get in the rest areas during pantheons. there's a blue door somewhere with dots over it that light up for each binding you complete, you can see how many you need for each level. more levels = more lifeblood. it's only minorly helpful since you'll lose them all on the first or second boss after the rest area, unless you're great at not getting hit, in which case why do you need lifeblood. i did enough bindings for the first level and didn't bother with any more, and i'm not sure that it really made a difference when i finally beat the last pantheon.

so you might find them worth it for that, but that's all.

*one at a time, i don't think there's any advantage to doing multiple

e: there are no achievements tied to bindings anyway even if you were going for them.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok final question for now, is this game similar to pretty much every other game in that the DLC bosses are much harder than the base game final bosses? If so I'll probably finish up the base game first before the Grimm Troupe guy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bike tory posted:

Ok final question for now, is this game similar to pretty much every other game in that the DLC bosses are much harder than the base game final bosses? If so I'll probably finish up the base game first before the Grimm Troupe guy.

Yeah pretty much, especially the godhome unique stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

b_d posted:

*one at a time, i don't think there's any advantage to doing multiple

If you do all of them at once the binding markers glow.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

WHOO. God drat I just beat Soul Sanctum Wizard on steel soul mode. I went to 1 how during the first like 30 seconds :stonk: It felt like I was at 1 health forever as I tried not to panic

Long nail was probably a good idea, god drat

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Deckit posted:

WHOO. God drat I just beat Soul Sanctum Wizard on steel soul mode. I went to 1 how during the first like 30 seconds :stonk: It felt like I was at 1 health forever as I tried not to panic

Long nail was probably a good idea, god drat

Grats dude!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s more important that you finish the quest for your beautiful butterfly friend than it is for any silly e-peen extension you’d get from beating the awesome bossfight.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I beat hollow knight and radiance, they were about what I expected in terms of difficulty. Radiance had great atmosphere but was too bullet hell-like for my tastes. Spent about 10 minutes on nightmare king and drat, this is a big step up in difficulty from anything else in the game. I'm glad I didn't miss this fight!

E: to be clear I spent 10 minutes on him and realised I would need to come back when I had more time to learn his attacks and poo poo. I didn't beat him in 10 minutes

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 10, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Kickstarter for Crowsworn just went live. I think I can say with uhh... a lot of certainty that if you like Hollow Knight this game will interest you as well.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The bit with the floor spikes is straight up boosted from Hollow Knight. It might be a good game, and I hope it is. But the aesthetic is a little too similar for my tastes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

LLCoolJD posted:

The bit with the floor spikes is straight up boosted from Hollow Knight. It might be a good game, and I hope it is. But the aesthetic is a little too similar for my tastes.

:same: but I'm such a Hollow Knight junkie that I'll buy anything like it even if it borderline plagiarises the former.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"we have hollow knight at home"

hollow knight at home:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it looks good and I backed it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am a-okay with a game that wears its inspirations on its sleeves and it looks like it's going to do enough different to make itself feel distinct.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there are like a million games on Steam that are blatant Hollow Knight knock-offs and i would be all over it if a single goddamn one of them had learned anything from it about platforming and combat, instead of just taking the aesthetics and then having a physics model that would make La Mulana blush

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think it's just a feature of trying to attract funding through Kickstarter. You're basically just pitching your game within a genre and style, so of course you compare it to the best of whatever

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I started playing Ender Lily recently, it sort of scratches that Hollow Knight itch. The soundtrack is excellent too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You can't really rip on a game for copying Hollow Knight when Hollow Knight ripped so much off of Dark Souls itself

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah hollow knight doesn't innovate much at all, it just does everything very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I started playing Ender Lily recently, it sort of scratches that Hollow Knight itch. The soundtrack is excellent too.

Ender Lilies is exactly what i was thinking of lol

the endgame is worse than the beginning, though; early on it can coast on charm and exploration but then you reach the castle area and it starts actually leaning on its incredibly mediocre combat and the level design completely falls apart