Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes? Support for "Defund the police" sits at 18% nationally. Being an ex-cop is not something would have a net negative for a political candidate in a national election. Probably not in any one location, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bernie Sanders intends to run for re-election in 2024. He will be 83 years old.

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

Ruzihm posted:

Dnd libs would literally give the ok to a dem candidate using fascist dog whistles if they thought it would win them the election

They were already fine with having GOP politicians speak at their convention, including noted anti-abortion crusader John Kasich

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

don't care what kamala harris is going to do or not do, who is the next bernie sanders that we can all pin our entire future on??

The real Bernie Sanders was inside us all along

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

don't care what kamala harris is going to do or not do, who is the next bernie sanders that we can all pin our entire future on??

Shen Long posted:

noted anti-abortion crusader John Kasich

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

Dnd libs would literally give the ok to a dem candidate using fascist dog whistles if they thought it would win them the election

They were cool with wannabe fascist Rick Snyder endorsing Biden, so,

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

WampaLord posted:

yyyyyyup

which, in retrospect, proved that even if he won he wasn't the man up to the task

that is the real tragedy of it - his actions now make everyone who support him (myself included) out to be fools

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

Lol forgot about this one, thanks for the reminder

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Catpetter1981 posted:

Yes? Support for "Defund the police" sits at 18% nationally. Being an ex-cop is not something would have a net negative for a political candidate in a national election. Probably not in any one location, either.

it sits at 18% because people don't know what it means and it sounds vaguely scary. if you talk to people about the ideas behind it, they support in my experience.

regardless, that doesn't matter because no one in power wants to curb the ability of cops to murder black people.

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1412625182305533952?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Adams was polling much better among the general likely Democratic voter population than what the results ended up being. In a poll last month, he was shown as being up by 12 points after the [simulated] final ranked choice voting round. The final results had him up by just 1 point.

So, yes, I absolutely think this primary race ended up being more left than the general Democratic population would have made. And this isn't taking into account any non-Democratic voters. There's probably more Republican voters in NYC than left of the Democratic party voters as well.

That last statement I made is an assumption, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. The most recent data I could find was 566,000 Republicans vs 1.08 million independents. It's possible that most of those independents are left of the Democratic party, but I sincerely doubt it and assume most are more in the middle of the road.

E: I just realized that the statistics I'm using was Adams vs Garcia, in which I don't know if Garcia is more or less left than Adams. But Maya Wiley got 4 more points in the first round of actual results compared to that same poll last month as well.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nichael posted:

it sits at 18% because people don't know what it means and it sounds vaguely scary. if you talk to people about the ideas behind it, they support in my experience.

regardless, that doesn't matter because no one in power wants to curb the ability of cops to murder black people.

Yeah, the liberal chuds in D and D are proud that Biden encouraged policemen to restrain themselves to shooting people in the leg.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Catpetter1981 posted:

Yeah, the liberal chuds in D and D are proud that Biden encouraged policemen to restrain themselves to shooting people in the leg.

You see shooting people in the leg is popular with moderates so they must do that to win elections

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

Lol, they don't think it's a dog whistle when Democrats do it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's not a dog whistle, it's Good Policy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I like the "the drat feminists and their birth control are depopulating the planet!" thread that still isn't gassed and the OP ban+30d

I'd say I'm surprised, but the eugenics thread stuck around for quite a while so

the eugenics thread was stickied, to give you an idea of the mods' political alignment

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Phone posted:

it's not a dog whistle, it's Good Messaging, don't you know you're not the only intended recipient

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

Colin Powell was a DNC headliner

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nina Turner is running for that seat. But the Ohio Dem Party is complete trash, and every county might as well not have a party comittee. Its basically ten old people hanging on to useless sinecures or whatever.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, she (Hillary) did win the popular vote. So, your argument falls apart.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

I like the "the drat feminists and their birth control are depopulating the planet!" thread that still isn't gassed and the OP ban+30d

I'd say I'm surprised, but the eugenics thread stuck around for quite a while so

drat bro you just made that thread up

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

Hloy poo poo you didnt make that thread up...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dixon Chisholm posted:

drat bro you just made that thread up

Dixon Chisholm posted:

lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Don't worry, CommieGIR is "watching the thread very closely"

probably with dick in hand

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Defund the Police sits at 18%. "Redirect some police funding to social services" sits at 43%. Assuming we want to get to majority support for the position, finding a better slogan seems to do a lot of the heavy lifting. The right gets this. They don't call their position on reproductive rights "enslave women forever" they call it "pro-life."

We should still demand the policy changes. It sucks that an ex-cop is going to be mayor. But you still have a critical mass of people who support cops.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

Don't worry, CommieGIR is "watching the thread very closely"

probably with dick in hand

Im got my eye on commiegir and that thread

My unblinking brown eye

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

catchy slogans like "Partially redirect some police funding to increase means-tested access to social services"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

you can tell it's going to create an upswell of popular support if you need 15 minutes and a thesaurus to explain it

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

giving these (one would assume) grown-rear end adults swirlies should be socially acceptable

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'okay let's take the fact that the slogan is bad as given for now, then, what are we supposed to do about that when it's a 100% true and accurate thing?'

'we should just stop supporting the actual solution to the problem, duh'

D&D!

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
Everyone get your anticop posting out of your system now, cause the capitol cops are going nationwide to protect and serve.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Excelzior posted:

you can tell it's going to create an upswell of popular support if you need 15 minutes and a thesaurus to explain it
lmao I just remembered Hilary explaining policy stances with "go to my website"

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
maybe at least part of the reason so many people believe these things is all the messaging that these things are good and their team is totally doing them and other team bad for not doing them

nah

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm a simple man, I see a bad Emrazz take, I post, even if it's a year old

https://twitter.com/ChrisCaesar/status/1413387228336820227

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

lmao I just remembered Hilary explaining policy stances with "go to my website"

go to joe 30330

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1413509009458405376?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat that is a real thread haha

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you run on the stuff that's popular and happens to be the actual goal: police reform. it is widely accepted that the police are in serious need of reform. the issue with "defund the police" is it's such a bad slogan it has actively made it harder to reform the police. i've posted this many times, but the "divert police funding to social services to handle more things with social services that are currently handled by police" is reasonably popular - far more so than "defund the police" even though that is (generally) what is meant by defund the police. the real issue with defund the police as a slogan is why it exists: as a compromise position with police abolitionists, a position that is insanely unpopular - and people largely dislike "defund the police" either because they (reasonably) believe it means abolish the police; or because even after the meaning is explained they sense that it is explicitly intended to appeal to "abolish the police" people by suggesting that in fact it might be abolish the police. and they're right - in these discussions usually someone chimes in that "no, by defund the police i mean abolish the police"

the key issue seems to be that leftist twitter has created the sort of echo chamber that has long existed on the right and people simply cannot grasp that what is popular with them and with other people on leftist twitter is, in fact, not popular: you can see in this thread the sort of special pleading nonsense that people are reaching for like claiming that new york city democratic primary voters are more conservative than the overall population - the sort of insane position you can only get to when the facts so strongly disagree with your position but you're unwilling to change it, so you make do with the best you can find ("there was massive voter fraud against true president trump, but only in the presidential race and not any downballot races, also we can't find any evidence of it!!!!!" fortunately, leftist twitter is an insignificant and small portion of the left (unlike the right, where it is dominant), but it's the same sort of issue.

at the end of the day, in a democracy you need a majority/plurality of voters to win. it should not shock people that democrats tack away from the insanely unpopular position (defunding the police) to distinguish it from the popular position they do support (reforming the police). if some votes of people are lost as a result, well, many of the people complaining in this thread frequently post about their disdain for democrats and their refusal to vote for democrats and the remainder are a small group compared to the people who are demonstrably put off by "defund the police" - many of whom are loyal democratic voters like poor minorities such as those who nominated eric adams. it is much like that it is not worth it for democrats to pursue unpopular policies aimed at hard-core conservative voters who are similarly largely motivated by "owning the libs" - you're probably not going to convince many of them with any policy proposal, and the remainder aren't worth the cost.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lol oh word?

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo the eugenics thread is an actual thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle