Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

you shouldn’t have any social media that is tied to you accessible while looking for a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

inferis posted:

you shouldn’t have any social media that is tied to you accessible while looking for a job

I once discovered to my horror that an old soundcloud of mine was the first result when googling my gubbmint name. And not just my soundcloud, but the top link was specifically a dumb joke track about stabbing dudes in the dick featuring me and like 12 other people that we all wrote and recorded in one drunk/high session giggling our asses off in a hotel room

thankfully you can set soundclouds private

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I once discovered to my horror that an old soundcloud of mine was the first result when googling my gubbmint name. And not just my soundcloud, but the top link was specifically a dumb joke track about stabbing dudes in the dick featuring me and like 12 other people that we all wrote and recorded in one drunk/high session giggling our asses off in a hotel room

thankfully you can set soundclouds private

I purged all social media a couple years ago, so now that fully all that comes up when you Google my name is some dead rear end painter.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

just become a professional dirtbag.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

until they find your drat grandparents are still alive while they are digging through all your social media

You were super loving good at taking care of them! Lock down your social media anyway that should be a given.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

How! posted:

I purged all social media a couple years ago, so now that fully all that comes up when you Google my name is some dead rear end painter.

Yeah the top result for my name is a guy who lives in my city who was recently arrested for gun crimes so I don't have to worry about any embarrassing questions.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

sullat posted:

Yeah the top result for my name is a guy who lives in my city who was recently arrested for gun crimes so I don't have to worry about any embarrassing questions.
tell them how you escaped custody to make the interview. this shows your can-do attitude and ability to overcome adversity to keep a schedule

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

other people posted:

until they find your drat grandparents are still alive while they are digging through all your social media

Love to post public, date-stamped Instagram pics with all 4 of my grandparents included and tagged for employers to see

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I’m honestly surprised if it’s not a field in advertiser user data scrapers can somehow collect

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i am harry posted:

“Dad, runner, deep history nerd, supply chain, vagabond, was not aware I had to have a position on the royals, ethnic Catholic.”

weird, he forgot, “literal pile of poo poo baking in the hot summer sun”

what the hell is ethnic catholic? doesn't that just mean italian?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

what the hell is ethnic catholic? doesn't that just mean italian?

No it means you're a direct descendant of St. Peter I'm p sure.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

other people posted:

I have a legit one-year resume gap where my wife's father got leukemia

I didn't do anything other than keep the house clean and use hand sanitizer like it was pandemic times, she was the one to donate the stem cells and everything, and it still works

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I saw a resume that went like this:

July 2004 - July 2020 - worked at $company but was then let go during downsizing
July 2020 to present - private consulting at same $company

Uh huh, sure.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
- let go
- company finds out only you knew how to do x thing
- you charge consulting fees to teach someone else how to do x thing

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

palindrome posted:

July 2004 - July 2020 - worked at $company but was then let go during downsizing

Uh huh, sure.

we fired that guy and it turns out he knew how to do everything but we dont want to hire him back full time

edit: lol i should read the above post

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I think everyone knew that already, but this lie is so particularly good. If you made up a job to cover the gap, they could in theory call and check, but this is completely undefeatable.

It’s good, but having a friend with an LLC who will lie for you is better. Sadly, most people are not in such a position.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Billion dollar idea (I'm probably too late) fake LLC's to provide fake work histories for people. Run the whole thing from a server in Delaware.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t try claiming Blockbuster, by the way.

The records exist. I forget who holds them, but the corporation knows.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If you're in the EuroZone, they aren't allowed to collect data on you without informing you about it. They will do it anyway I guess, but you can report them to the data protection authorities to get revenge.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

palindrome posted:

Uh huh, sure.

This absolutely happens, I've done it. (and it sucked, setting up a private one-person business for one contract job is a major hassle)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

palindrome posted:

Uh huh, sure.

please knock Mom! posted:

- let go

Exactly what happened to my uncle. Things were tense for a very short period because he was older and suddenly didn't have a job, but he went back to the same place as a consultant and now makes more money before he was let go. Capitalism, baby!

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Gorson posted:

Billion dollar idea (I'm probably too late) fake LLC's to provide fake work histories for people. Run the whole thing from a server in Delaware.

brother you can get an LLC for like a couple hundred dollars, roll your own fake employment LLC

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Exactly what happened to my uncle. Things were tense for a very short period because he was older and suddenly didn't have a job, but he went back to the same place as a consultant and now makes more money before he was let go. Capitalism, baby!

Yeah, I know someone who this happened to.

Every worker has a fantasy of "This place would fall apart without me!" Like 99% of the time it's not true but it must feel amazing to get that call like a week after you were laid off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

brother you can get an LLC for like a couple hundred dollars, roll your own fake employment LLC

this seems a lot less illegal

I really don't know precisely what law a fake employment history LLC would be breaking but I suspect it has something to do with conspiracy and wire fraud

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Just create an LLC that's based around getting people jobs - your first and only client is yourself boom sorted

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I need to start an LLC eventually for legal reasons once a friend's game project gets to the point where it'll be sold to the public and I will happily say anyone used to work there (and did a great job too!) once it's set up. I assume hiring managers are too busy to do any due diligence beyond just a phone call so its not like the fact it's based out of my house and has only ever had the same two employees will matter.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

I assume hiring managers are too busy to do any due diligence beyond just a phone call

Half the time they don't even bother with a phone call they just want to see that you have references

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

please knock Mom! posted:

- let go

This happened to a former coworker of mine after covid hit, she was a part of the layoffs but then I guess they discovered that she was the only IT person at the company, so she was contracted back part-time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

How! posted:

kpop stars and professors lol

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I have my own LLC that employs myself, and never ever again plan on applying for any jobs or going to any job interviews. I'd rather be dead.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/gawkcid/status/1413093205843849219?s=20

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What the gently caress

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol it's a tenement

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

no it's a mansion did you watch the video

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://www.compass.com/listing/224-east-83rd-street-manhattan-ny-10028/531734057479606713/

$18,000 a month

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Looks nice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I wonder what the guy who lives on top of a closet pays

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

a couple is in this bed... [panning]... and over here is nick

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's like 40 000 better ways to set that up but it takes people who aren't immensely stupid to do so.

e: Lmaoing at the fact that literally the only person with any privacy is someone living under the stairs.