Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1413454152160608270?s=21

lol, capitalism is going to murder us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Problem with enforcement is that in most cases it would be left to some lowly shop assistant to have to do it and anti-maskers are not known for their polite and considerate behaviour. Telling some gammon to put their mask on is possibly risking life and limb or at least a broken nose. Same for bus driver etc.

Thing is we have a bunch of prick cops and litter wardens who love nothing more than hassling people, should have actually put these idiots to use for a change.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm all for calling people out for littering tbh but I don't think I've ever come across someone, like, actively employed to do that?

Cops and parking attendants can get in the bin though

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keep punching joe posted:

Thing is we have a bunch of prick cops and litter wardens who love nothing more than hassling people, should have actually put these idiots to use for a change.

Oh some towns did and my god they were the same all over. Imagine if you will, a person willing to be a narc for Boris.

Fat bastards of all ages sat on a little desk outside the public toilets or entrances to supermarkets wearing the daisy lanyards gleefully screaming at little old ladies who had the mask slightly out of position and holding competitions to see who could get people to wet themselves in the queue.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
in china if you don't follow the rules, they catch you in a big net and bundle you into a van and give you a hiding and lock you up for a few days and you only get like bovril and the stalk bits of cauliflowers

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
See most gammon would be all for that until they realised that the rules applied to them too and they would be first in the back of the van

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

in china if you don't follow the rules, they catch you in a big net and bundle you into a van and give you a hiding and lock you up for a few days and you only get like bovril and the stalk bits of cauliflowers

I bet the recipe is loving delicious, though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Chinese had the right idea with just welding people inside their houses.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

I'm all for calling people out for littering tbh but I don't think I've ever come across someone, like, actively employed to do that?

Co-workers got caught by them here (Edinburgh). Littering enforcers (I assume working for the council) used to lurk around big office parks where lots of companies had buildings, near the common places where people would go off-premises for a quick smoke (since the companies never had large smoke shelters in place outside). They'd sting people dropping their cigarette butts with fines.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Laugh at China being authoritarian all you want but they're straight up vibing over in Wuhan right now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Who's old enough to remember 'parkies' who used to chase little kids through the 'rec' (recreation ground) for some minor misdemeanour?
They had uniforms with peaked caps and a prodding stick of some sort.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're going to crib ideas from asia you could just give all the shop staff the big wrangling poles they have over there to fight knife maniacs and let us push people out of the shop with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4z-gzkb6s4

Social distance this, fuckers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Co-workers got caught by them here (Edinburgh). Littering enforcers (I assume working for the council) used to lurk around big office parks where lots of companies had buildings, near the common places where people would go off-premises for a quick smoke (since the companies never had large smoke shelters in place outside). They'd sting people dropping their cigarette butts with fines.

Huh, crazy. Literally never come across nor heard of em before

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Barry Foster posted:

Huh, crazy. Literally never come across nor heard of em before

Maybe its just a Scotland thing, you get them in both Glasgow and Edinburgh. They have a sort of cosplay cop uniform, and you do not have to show them ID or give them your name (but do act like they have authority).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i lived in edinburgh for just over 5 years and i swear you'd be hard pressed to find another place so chock-full of busybodies

i'll never forget a woman telling off some lad who quite obviously had a learning difficulty of some sort for pressing the traffic light button too many times

i don't know why but it really played on my mind and was a factor in my decision to move back here :/

place was just full of cunts

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Yes they're slightly differently worded.

Is your point to correct the presentation of my worries to the thread or to correct my worries? Because I think I adequately covered the former. I'm not an epidemiologist and no one should be reading my posts as if I was. We all make unqualified predictions (in both senses) itt all the time, it's hardly unusual.

If it's the latter, well, my worries are my business, not yours.

They have an entirely different meaning dude. If you say ‘x is going to happen’, don’t get bent out of shape when someone says ‘erm how on earth do you know.’

E: anyway, dumb argument, let’s drop it

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A colleague let her 6yr old daughter sit on her lap and have a go at steering the car in a deserted supermarket car park. Three different dickheads reported her to the cops.

(not UK. Cuuuuuunts though)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

crispix posted:

i lived in edinburgh for just over 5 years and i swear you'd be hard pressed to find another place so chock-full of busybodies

i'll never forget a woman telling off some lad who quite obviously had a learning difficulty of some sort for pressing the traffic light button too many times

i don't know why but it really played on my mind and was a factor in my decision to move back here :/

place was just full of cunts

I'd like to disagree but nah, there are a whole bunch of entitled and/or officious tossers here. Much as I love it otherwise.

I reckon the privately owned 'public' spaces that have their own mall cops (so like that big space behind Kings Cross station in London, just because that's an obvious one) are other places you might get hit up with littering fines maybe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the child could have grown extremely long legs and seized control of the vehicle.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
glasgow was much more my vibe

will never forget being on the coach from cairnryan and being sat in those facing-each-other seats with a big clan who had been to belfast to watch football. they were all hammered and kept offering me tinnies and sangwiches and crisps and they had a big sectarian sing-song and i was just sat there like :stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

in china if you don't follow the rules, they catch you in a big net and bundle you into a van and give you a hiding and lock you up for a few days

Joke's on them, that's my kink

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
LOARA, LOARA!!!!!!!! HA YE ANY CHEESE SANGWICHES LEFT, HE DISNAE EAT MEAT

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I had a cheese triple meal deal today and it went very nicely with a bag of skips.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1413460529557905411

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Best fans in the world, grace in victory

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/09/danish-woman-claims-assault-by-england-fans-after-semi-final

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

LOARA, LOARA!!!!!!!! HA YE ANY CHEESE SANGWICHES LEFT, HE DISNAE EAT MEAT

NO! DO YOU TAKE CHICKEN? YOU EAT CHICKEN DON'T YOU!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

A colleague let her 6yr old daughter sit on her lap and have a go at steering the car in a deserted supermarket car park. Three different dickheads reported her to the cops.

(not UK. Cuuuuuunts though)

calling the cops is going too far but, uh, letting a small child control a moving vehicle is incredibly irresponsible

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I'd be surprised if they just let them do it without their hands hovering near by. My old man did this with me when I was a kid and it was great fun

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/england-euro-2020-denmark-fan-hit-b944865.html?amp

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Who's old enough to remember 'parkies' who used to chase little kids through the 'rec' (recreation ground) for some minor misdemeanour?
They had uniforms with peaked caps and a prodding stick of some sort.

http://viz.co.uk/category/parkie/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

haakman posted:

Yah forgive me for being cautious after watching my old man literally rot from the inside out whilst having to wear full PPE and looking at him through a screen.

Also, kids are going to be hosed up socially and psychologically - anecdotal but I've had more students commit suicide this year than in the past 10+ years combined. It's real bleak.

Same for my dad, he pulled through but at one point it was <50% chance of survival. Still can't say a complete sentence without being out of breath months later.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shouldn't have been forrin, simple as

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Julio Cruz posted:

calling the cops is going too far but, uh, letting a small child control a moving vehicle is incredibly irresponsible

:wrong:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

...what do you think is the worst-case scenario here? The parent is still in charge of the throttle and brakes and their hands are at worst half a second from the steering wheel, the kid's not gonna be doing a burnout into a bus queue.

Also you are going to lose your *poo poo* when you find out about what the minimum age for competitive go-kart racing is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...what do you think is the worst-case scenario here?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

It's an empty carpark, not the M25 at rush hour. If the kid does anything potentially daft a) you're controlling the throttle & brakes b) you're able to take control from them anyway. Just a bit of harmless fun.

I got to steer a tractor when I was 5 or 6. poo poo ruled. Literally a memory I'll never forget, even went to the funeral of the guy who took me even though it'd been a decade since my family moved away from there because he ruled. (This was also where I learned that Free Church of Scotland funerals were an order of magnitude more bleak & miserable than Church of Scotland or Catholic Church funerals. Cried more at this guy who was our neighbour until I was 6's funeral than I did at any of my grandparents, aunt or uncle's funerals I've been to since)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 9, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I learned to drive and it was snowing one day my instructor told me to do skids at the back of the supermarket car park so I would know what to watch out for.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You go at like 10mph tops, you'd have to be paying no attention at all for the kid to hit anything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

When I learned to drive and it was snowing one day my instructor told me to do skids at the back of the supermarket car park so I would know what to watch out for.

Remember folks, "pump the brakes during a skid" is old deprecated advice from before ABS was in most cars, the current advice is to just steer toward the skid and, if you're in a manual, depress the clutch :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

One of my earliest memories is being allowed to use the steering wheel to navigate the car down our driveway when I was about 4 years old. I remember asking if I could have a go on the pedals too (as if I’d be able to reach) and being sad to be told ‘no’