Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Outlook on Web is fine if you are working with, and only with emails. As you start to leverage more and more features of the client though, the web app falls behind badly. The calendar is a perfect example of this, where it seems like it would do most of the things on the surface, but you see fewer details about the meeting, who's attending, mailing lists. etc. If you want to schedule meetings, the scheduling assistant is inferior in feature and interface. As you dig further into this, there are bits of information just missing in places they used to be. The further you leave the 'most core feature set' of the software, the more you end up missing the desktop version of Outlook.

This is going to drift into 'Canine Blues Arooo bitches about Web for the 18th time on this forum', but I'll leave it at this: The Web Apologist crew constantly insists that you can do just as much on the browser as you can on the desktop, but there are literal zero examples of these massive, feature rich apps making the transition to web without making major tradeoffs in UX, features, or both. Web is kind of a disaster and I'm bummed a piece of the Office suite is being sacrificed at that alter when MS themselves have cross-platform UI Framework solutions (as mentioned in this thread).

I think things like what I describe are the most frustrating examples of this. I don't see why setting the default reminder setting to "none" would be difficult, and it's baffling that they continue to refuse to enable it. If I want a reminder I will set one - don't force the drat things on me. Even if the default is still "remind me 15 minutes before the event" let me change that in the customization options to zero instead of the current set of hours or days it allows.

Edit: In my normal work week I have around 6 calendar entries per day. The number of clicks each one requires balloons because they won't let me set the default for reminders to "none." It means I have to edit every single entry I make, or I get flooded with notifications. This is true even if I am entering things that occurred in the past, as it will pop up notifications for them once they are saved regardless. The ratio of calendar entries where I actually want a reminder is steep, like a 100:1 in favor of not wanting reminders. This is just garbage UI design that seems pointless and vaguely malicious.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is going to drift into 'Canine Blues Arooo bitches about Web for the 18th time on this forum', but I'll leave it at this: The Web Apologist crew constantly insists that you can do just as much on the browser as you can on the desktop, but there are literal zero examples of these massive, feature rich apps making the transition to web without making major tradeoffs in UX, features, or both. Web is kind of a disaster and I'm bummed a piece of the Office suite is being sacrificed at that alter when MS themselves have cross-platform UI Framework solutions (as mentioned in this thread).

Reminds me that I'm still waiting for OneNote to get the core feature back of deleting notebooks. (I have a dozen or so notebooks that are still accessible, still need to be deleted, and still show up every single time, but because they predate stuffing every notebook into onedrive as a file, they're all permanently there and won't generate new files. And they just will not loving go away.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MikusR posted:

UWP Onenote is better than the original one.

This is true actually yeah

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MikusR posted:

UWP is what sucks, not the apps made with it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MikusR posted:

Have they reached feature parity yet? There was a bunch of stuff missing as of a couple years ago, an equations editor being one and I think some OCR stuff was another.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Remember when they bought Xamarin for cross-platform development?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

MAUI is an 'evolution' of Xamarin.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

isndl posted:

Have they reached feature parity yet? There was a bunch of stuff missing as of a couple years ago, an equations editor being one and I think some OCR stuff was another.
Judging the changelog of the iPad version, it's fukken dead. Two years of "bugfix-only release".

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yeah I don’t think they ever built anything notable on Xamarin either. Hence my extreme skepticism around Maui

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any fixes for this printer issue? :3:

We've taken all our systems print spoolers offline and people are pissed.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

beuges posted:

Yeah I don’t think they ever built anything notable on Xamarin either. Hence my extreme skepticism around Maui

I need to believe...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vintersorg posted:

To be affected by the print spool vulnerability, the attacker needs a valid authentication for that system (ie user+password).

I think leaving print spoolers enabled on people's desktops isn't glaringly insecure if your network / the rest of your stuff is following all the correct practices (you have a firewall etc).

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

isndl posted:

IIRC two years ago (when they announced restarting of Classic OneNote updates) they mentioned something about a big canvas update. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953691/microsoft-onenote-to-do-integration-fluid-framework-future-features-ignite-2019. But all that is either cancelled or severely delayed for some reason.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Vintersorg posted:

Microsoft pushes emergency update for Windows PrintNightmare zero-day

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MikeJF posted:

MAUI is an 'evolution' of Xamarin.

Really? I lost track of all the names.

I thought Xamarin was nearly there to be honest, if they would have just added the XAML editor from VS to it, it would have been a nice way of creating cross platform apps.

That they wrote Teams in Electron should tell you everything I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think VSCode is the only electron app I don't loving hate with my dying breath.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think VSCode is the only electron app I don't loving hate with my dying breath.

Yep. The rest are all resource hogs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's possible to write an electron app that doesn't suck, it's just so much easier to write one that does that nobody doesn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah. Discord is pretty bad for it but nothing was as bad as xiv-teamcraft, good god that thing was a piece of poo poo.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MikeJF posted:

It's possible to write an electron app that doesn't suck, it's just so much easier to write one that does that nobody doesn't.

The aforementioned VS Code being a prime example of what can be done of it's done right.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It helps that the VS Code devs know when JavaScript won't cut it and they need to drop back to native code, e.g. the search engine is written in Rust

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Vintersorg posted:

I haven't tried it yet myself, but 0patch is offering a free patch for all vulnerable oses
https://blog.0patch.com/2021/07/free-micropatches-for-printnightmare.html?m=1

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Much like the myth of the feature rich in-browser app that can have a great user experience... I'll believe it when I see it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is it possible to make a taskbar icon open a menu instead of just launching an app? I'd like to have one icon visible that I can hit to access a quick list of shortcuts rather than having to pin 20 things directly to the bar or deal with digging around in the start menu for them

e: making it a toolbar kinda works but it's in the wrong place and the target to actually click to open the menu is tiny, and it won't let me move it

Javid fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 8, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

Is it possible to make a taskbar icon open a menu instead of just launching an app? I'd like to have one icon visible that I can hit to access a quick list of shortcuts rather than having to pin 20 things directly to the bar or deal with digging around in the start menu for them

e: making it a toolbar kinda works but it's in the wrong place and the target to actually click to open the menu is tiny, and it won't let me move it

There are apps that can do that -- display a list of shortcuts in a simple menu. A popular one is 7stacks.

I used to really like one called ShortPopUp, because it was just a simple menu and wasn't constantly-running program like 7stacks. But something changed with Win10 that it really doesn't like. On 7 it was instant, on 10 it grinds for 10 seconds before opening.

But in looking at a current list of similar stuff, the one that leaps out at me is Stacky. That looks to do the same thing as shortpopup, albeit with fewer options.

I wish I'd seen that before now. I ended up writing my own custom ahk program to replace shortpopup like 5 years ago when I switched to 10.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have also hamfisted things like this with AHK, which was going to be my worst case scenario if the thread answer was "lol u cant". Thanks for the recs!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Stacky looks neat and basic. I've been using PStart for ages to launch things or organize little task clusters. It doesn't live on a taskbar, it's a floating/movable launcher and/or system tray menu. It's old (designed to launch portable apps from a USB drive) and 32 bit, but it's free and still works in W10.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

In general you can type tpm.msc in the start menu to see if you have TPM available (and which version) but a board that old probably doesn't have it built in

You might be able to buy a TPM module separately and plug it into the board

Dumb question but does that mean I have TPM 2.0?

I am surprised to see that if that's the case because my computer is the ThinkPad 25th Anniversary laptop from 2017 and I was 100% sure that it had TPM 1.2, not 2.0. It's a 7th gen Intel processor (7500U) which I thought were all TPM 1.2.

Even if I pass TPM it looks like my CPU is technically too old to run Windows 11 according to Microsoft, even though I jammed 64 GB of RAM in this thing a few months ago.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah that's TPM 2.0

If it's a firmware TPM it's possible it shipped with TPM 1.2 and a BIOS update (which may have been delivered through Windows Update on an OEM system) updated it to TPM 2.0

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
uh, i should have TPM (Ryzen 3300X, very modern chip) but when i do that diagnosis it says i don't have TPM. i remember i had to gently caress around with some settings to get the bios to detect my SSD when i installed it, could i have set it wrong?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's probably disabled in the BIOS

On Ryzen systems the toggle is usually called fTPM

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

repiv posted:

It's probably disabled in the BIOS

On Ryzen systems the toggle is usually called fTPM

windows 10/11: f TPM

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Even if I pass TPM it looks like my CPU is technically too old to run Windows 11 according to Microsoft, even though I jammed 64 GB of RAM in this thing a few months ago.
I am currently running the beta on a laptop with an i7-3530QM. The only bypass I have done is the TPM check. You'll be fine.

As far as I'm aware the list is just those CPUs that have TPM 2.0 built in, systems with external TPM or chipset-based TPM will also work officially, and there will also be bypasses for OEMs that will inevitably leak to the rest of us.

CoolCab posted:

uh, i should have TPM (Ryzen 3300X, very modern chip) but when i do that diagnosis it says i don't have TPM. i remember i had to gently caress around with some settings to get the bios to detect my SSD when i installed it, could i have set it wrong?
The fTPM is disabled by default on a lot of DIY and consumer systems. I had to enable it on my Ryzen 3900X and now the compatibility checker says I'm all good on this machine. I'm not upgrading my main desktop until RTM though.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 8, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

I am currently running the beta on a laptop with an i7-3530QM. The only bypass I have done is the TPM check. You'll be fine.

As far as I'm aware the list is just those CPUs that have TPM 2.0 built in, systems with external TPM or chipset-based TPM will also work officially, and there will also be bypasses for OEMs that will inevitably leak to the rest of us.

The fTPM is disabled by default on a lot of DIY and consumer systems. I had to enable it on my Ryzen 3900X and now the compatibility checker says I'm all good on this machine. I'm not upgrading my main desktop until RTM though.

Thanks. I'm hoping Windows 11 will continue the Microsoft tradition of typically running better on older systems, rather than be a resource hog. I always liked how upgrading a computer to the latest Windows typically made it run faster, unlike OSX which usually ran shittier on older hardware.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know if it's Electron (but it's definitely something web appy), but I'm doing some low-effort, low-skill video editing with LosslessCut and it's not being a complete piece of trash yet. Yes, it's a frontend for ffmpeg, but there's plenty of room to screw up there.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

Source? Official messaging is that those are the only CPUs that will have support for 11. At best they might add gen7 Intel. It's not only TPM but also other cpu features. And that list is most definitely being pushed by the OEMs to sell new systems.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 9, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I don't know if it's Electron (but it's definitely something web appy), but I'm doing some low-effort, low-skill video editing with LosslessCut and it's not being a complete piece of trash yet. Yes, it's a frontend for ffmpeg, but there's plenty of room to screw up there.

It is Electron, yeah. And actually you're right, that is actually a pretty alright program!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MikusR posted:

Source? Official messaging is that those are the only CPUs that will have support for 11. At best they might add gen7 Intel. It's not only TPM but also other cpu features. And that list is most definitely being pushed by the OEMs to sell new systems.

Are you referring to these lists?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Check out the same lists for Windows 10 20H2:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-20h2-supported-amd-processors
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-20h2-supported-intel-processors

Notice how nothing before 5th-gen Intel is listed? Yet I'm sure most of us have at least one and possibly an entire fleet of machines from the Sandy Bridge through Haswell time period that still work perfectly fine.

Those lists are for OEMs. They're under the Windows Hardware Developer documentation, and specify what processors OEMs are allowed to use in systems shipping with Windows 11. They have those same lists going back to Windows 7 all linked from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

quote:

This specification details the processors that can be used with Customer Systems that include Windows Products (including Custom Images). Updates to this specification may be released in the future as requirements change.

For each listed edition, Company must use only the processors listed, as specified in the tables below. The requirements below apply whenever the edition below is pre-installed or provided on external media, including as downgrade or down edition software.

This list is not a minimum requirements, they aren't allowed to use anything new that hasn't been listed even if it's in the same family:

quote:

If after the inclusion of a processor series in this specification ("Listed Processor"), a processor becomes commercially available that uses the same naming convention or identifier as a Listed Processor but has additional or different features or functionality ("New Processor"), Company must not use New Processor for Customer Systems without Microsoft's prior written permission. If Company believes a processor has been omitted from this list, please contact Company’s Microsoft OEM or ODM Account Manager.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm setting up some laptops for work, haven't had one myself for years. Do Windows 10 laptops wake from sleep and do things when they're closed and unplugged? We're going to be storing them in laptop bags and sharing them among people of varied degrees of technical prowess, who may simply close them after use and walk away. I don't want any fires or destroyed boards or other bullshit.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not if you turn them off before putting them in bags.