Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, I guess that would explain why Uppercut inquired about a key. And here I thought ITAD was the still the go-to to get accurate sale prices, current and historical lows. What alternative are people using now?

That's strange because I'm pretty ITAD is what showed me to get Nioh 2 for $35 from Newegg in the first place. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways I got a silly request. Anyone know of more mmo-singleplayer games like Kingdom of Amalur and/or Final Fantasy 12? I fuckin' LOVE the weird generic quests, the open maps that respawn groups of enemies, and collecting lots of things. I've played FF12 to death but I'm just diving into Amalur and it's exactly my jam and I'm wondering - anything else like it?

Do not recommend any actual MMOs, I do not want to interact with other people when I'm doing my put-a-checkmark-next-to-the-quest gaming.

I'll throw in a recommendation for Outward. The game completely engrossed me for a while a year ago and I need to get back to it. The game has an odd difficulty curve (it starts out difficult and eventually you can easily break it over your knee) but it's a really fun world that feels like a real adventure to explore. Also, the music is just fantastic and a joy to listen to.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Outward is high grade eurojank, fun coop too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The knights Templar were monks and almost fanatical in their devotion. During the crusades the religious orders were almost always massacred on sight as they were just a pain to deal with unlike the rank and file

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Black Skylands which had a really good demo and looks promising launched on early access today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amQvncEhMNI

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1143810/Black_Skylands/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Gonna make a game with a monk class where you sit and meditate for an hour while the battles go on behind you, and then go ask for rice from whoever lives

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Gonna make a game with a monk class where you sit and meditate for an hour while the battles go on behind you, and then go ask for rice from whoever lives
Or, y'know, transcribe manuscripts all day.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

StarkRavingMad posted:

So… Amazing Cultivation Simulator?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Black Skylands which had a really good demo and looks promising launched on early access today!

also looks like you can get it for a little cheaper if you own graveyard keeper as there's a bundle with the both of them. i wonder if there's crossover between the studios

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

This looks fantastic has anyone picked it up yet? I added it to my wishlist way back.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Shivah is an adventure game where you are a Rabbi trying to solve a murder and your dialogue options are something like Polite, Direct, Rabbi. Every time you pick the Rabbi option you just repeat back what the person said to you as a question. So a game where you are a monk and bother people with koans would also be good.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's strange because I'm pretty ITAD is what showed me to get Nioh 2 for $35 from Newegg in the first place. Maybe it's a regional thing?

when I clicked through on the ITAD Newegg link early yesterday it came back not found so maybe Newegg ran out of keys at some point or their sale ended earlier than Steam's

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MarcusSA posted:

This looks fantastic has anyone picked it up yet? I added it to my wishlist way back.

Not sure how outdated it is, but there is a preview demo available here that you can try out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286530/Black_Skylands_Origins/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pwnstar posted:

The Shivah is an adventure game where you are a Rabbi trying to solve a murder and your dialogue options are something like Polite, Direct, Rabbi. Every time you pick the Rabbi option you just repeat back what the person said to you as a question. So a game where you are a monk and bother people with koans would also be good.

I love this.

Suspect: "I couldn't have done it, I was nowhere near the murder scene that night."
PC: [Chooses Rabbi option] "So you COULDN'T have done it because you were NOWHERE near the murder scene? Eh?"
Suspect: "Well, I mean, theoretically I guess I could have gotten there if I ran. But it would have been tight?"
PC: "It would have been tight?"
Suspect: "Well, I am in pretty good shape, I guess."

StrixNebulosa posted:

So… Amazing Cultivation Simulator?

I really should play this, it just seems super daunting even after reading the thread on here.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StarkRavingMad posted:

I want a komuso walking sim game where you just wander the countryside noodling around on a flute.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

instead of monks, we should talk about skunks, because my parent's dog got skunked last night. that's it, nothing else to add.

Orv
May 4, 2011
RIP poor baby, that poo poo sucks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I wonder why, out of all the flash-in-the-pan Sonic the Hedgehog ripoff mascots, there was never an edgy skunk

the fart jokes write themselves

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pwnstar posted:

I freaking loved that feature, it was way too hilarious. And it actually plays a pretty big part in what is the final dialogue-based 'boss battle'

Hwurmp posted:

I wonder why, out of all the flash-in-the-pan Sonic the Hedgehog ripoff mascots, there was never an edgy skunk

Do you even KNOW what that would end up with on DeviantArt? Think about the consequences before you go spouting off

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

An actually good humble bundle?!

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/unleash-destruction

1$ Master of Magic Classic
BTA Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, Distant Worlds Universe (!!!! A++ game)
12$ Warhammer 40k Gladius + DLC, Strategic Command WW2, Field of Glory 2 (hooks into Field of Glory empires IIRC and turns it into a mega 4X/wargame thing), and a discount on Warhammer 40k Battlesector

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

I enjoyed the beta! Haven’t played the actual EA release yet.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I looked up Master of Magic and found Thea's dev acquired the IP to make a reboot! :woop:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hwurmp posted:

How did you not know about classic of the genre Punky Skunk?!?!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thanks to whoever posted the Arcanum theme, it instantly made me want to play the game again.

I remember firing up the game for the first time and seeing and hearing the main menu made me fall in love with it pretty much immediately. Gah, such a great tune!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in arcanum, pulling out the spirit of that guy in the cave for the first time to talk to him and do his quest that way. something about that made it feel like you could do anything

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

secretly best girl posted:

How did you not know about classic of the genre Punky Skunk?!?!

I have lost all honor and must now take my own life

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is The Crew 2 still worthless horseshit or has it been improved a bit since its launch? It's free for the weekend has has been discounted to :10bux:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/646910/The_Crew_2/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is there a quick way of checking how much of your library would work on mac? just wondering if i ever made the switch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

Is The Crew 2 still worthless horseshit or has it been improved a bit since its launch? It's free for the weekend has has been discounted to :10bux:

I liked it, it’s not great as a racing game but it’s fun when you want to dick around for a bit. It’s kind of stupid hard early on until you can upgrade your car a bit though.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

GreatGreen posted:

I don't dispute what others have said about the driving controls being pretty low-rent, especially compared to Actually Good driving games, but -- I'm super not deeply invested in that sort of thing, and I genuinely had a blast with The Crew 2 just driving all over America and exploring and doing races and other events and stuff. It may not be a good driving game qua driving game, but it's still pretty fun and definitely at least worth checking out while it's free.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked it, it’s not great as a racing game but it’s fun when you want to dick around for a bit. It’s kind of stupid hard early on until you can upgrade your car a bit though.

Makes sense. For $10 (and free to try for a couple days) I think it might try it out and see if it can be what FUEL wanted to be when it came out... a gigantic world to just drive around in and explore and to give your hands something to do while you listen to podcasts.

The world seems great big, decently pretty, and varied enough. My only real unknown hope is that the car handling is good/fun enough to sustain the exploration. It doesn't have to be Forza, just good enough to give the cars some semblance of decent weight and responsiveness.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GreatGreen posted:

I bought it during the steam sale and returned it, didn't like it at all. It didn't perform very well and I absolutely HATED the handling, plus it has some very grindy elements. I'd rather just play more Forza Horizon 3/4 and/or wait for the new game in that series.

But yeah, nothing wrong with giving it a try for free.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cavauro posted:

in arcanum, pulling out the spirit of that guy in the cave for the first time to talk to him and do his quest that way. something about that made it feel like you could do anything

The fact that someone wrote a ton of dialogue just in case the player uses the Conjure Spirit spell on any corpse they come across (or create), is equal amounts inspiring and crazy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Quill posted:

The fact that someone wrote a ton of dialogue just in case the player uses the Conjure Spirit spell on any corpse they come across (or create), is equal amounts inspiring and crazy.
Honestly, Conjure Spirit doesn't have that much use on incidental corpses. But Arcanum does have a lot of highly specific dialog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52_ZyndqeLI

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I’m a huge fan of single player games that feel like a MMO’s as well, and I’d like to bring up an unorthodox suggestion if it could help.

I’m not even sure if it’s around anymore it’s been so many years since I’ve looked into it, but you might want to Google “WoW single player project.”

Despite what some people might think, it is extremely easy for a standard gaming computer today to run an entire World of Warcraft server on the machine and play it at the same time. I doubt you’d be able to host thousands of players or anything, but for just one person, your computer could do it without breaking a sweat.

Also, with you running the server, you would get all the GM access you wanted, which would include giving yourself any mix of powers from any of the classes, you can choose how quickly you level, anything you want.

Honestly, after having messed around with it myself years ago, I can say it’s almost a crime that blizzard never released a moddable single player or LAN version of WoW. That definitely could have given Elder Scrolls games a run for their money for sure.

I looked into this and got it working pretty easily with a youtube video guide. Made a character and ran around the starting zone for a bit. It's your own server so you can set the rates and stuff. Pretty interesting that this exists. I have no idea how good pathing or dungeons or any complex thing is but I'll mess around with it some more. Not sure if it's okay to link since it's not exactly legal but if you search this "TrinityCore NPCBots Repack" it should come up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xander77 posted:

Honestly, Conjure Spirit doesn't have that much use on incidental corpses. But Arcanum does have a lot of highly specific dialog:

There's an art to this kind of thing, though. Choosing the right areas to add specific dialogue or easter eggs or whatever can really make a game feel completely wide open, even if it's not so much.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The original inspiration for D and D monks is this guy:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Has nobody seen the hit film Bulletproof Monk starring Chow Yun-fat and Stiffler.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Xander77 posted:

Virgil comes across as a racist rear end in a top hat in the opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My Xbox One wired controller has developed an irritating issue in which, if I am tilting it away from me at all, it disconnects and then reconnects. I think there must be something wrong with the cable at or near the point at which it meets the controller. Is there anything I could try before I bite the bullet and buy a new one?