Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It's my movie and I need it NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blood Boils posted:

I dunno if I would call it clean, it's framing of poor single moms ain't great

Not great, but extremely believable. Billy spent his whole life chasing a dream only to find it's not what he thought it would be. Sound familiar, Sivana?

Personally, I think it's a message that needs to be said: foster families can be just as real as any biological family. Family is the people you love and who love you, not the people who share genetic material with you.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The opening of montage of Ray Winstone meeting presidents set to a moody indie girl Nirvana cover is cracking me up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The latter is another case of the Russo’s changing their minds, rather than something mocked up just for the trailers; originally, Hulk would have gotten over his fear of Thanos in the last act and merged his personalities into Professor Hulk in Infinity War, rather than between movies, but the Russos felt that the timing of the transformation stepped on the emotional beats of the rest of the battle, taking away from Thor’s entrance and Thanos’s reversal, so they axed it

lmao no way. And then they didn't rewrite it in Endgame, just had it happen offscreen. Shine on you brutally insane diamonds

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I think it's preferable the way they did it. They're probably right about the Hulk thing happening in Infinity War being a bit too much. I also like that Hulk just showing up like this and apparently now being this celebrity with a catchphrase. It sells the idea that five years actually passed and that there a bunch of missing Marvel films that we didn't see happening in that period. Hulk not actually getting a moment to punch Thanos and redeeming himself in a non-violent way is one of the few actually nuanced parts of Endgame.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The resolution of banner n hulks dynamic happening off screen annoyed me a ton

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The shot of Ruffalo's face pasted onto the hulk-buster armor towards the end of Infinity War (I think when he's gloating about how Thor is going to gently caress everyone up) was the worst hulk-related crime in the entire MCU.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Cythereal posted:

Not great, but extremely believable. Billy spent his whole life chasing a dream only to find it's not what he thought it would be. Sound familiar, Sivana?

Personally, I think it's a message that needs to be said: foster families can be just as real as any biological family. Family is the people you love and who love you, not the people who share genetic material with you.

It's not really clear that Sivana regrets anything; is there any instance that shows he believes Shazam's claim that the sins are just using him, or that he would even care about that? He got his revenge on his abusers, he seems pretty content to follow their lead after that.

Mark Strong does what he can but the movie largely wastes him as a villain, a problem with a lot of comic movies tbf

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

The resolution of banner n hulks dynamic happening off screen annoyed me a ton
To be fair, they basically reboot him into a new character in Avengers from Incredible Hulk, establish a weird psuedo-romance with Black Widow after he straight up tries to backhand her while she cowers from him in Avengers follow by the non-sensical "I'm always angry..." line, and then kind of retool him again in Thor Ragnarok. So there isn't really this great big Hulk/Banner plot I really cared that much about.

But the diner scene in Endgame is kinda funny so whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, they basically reboot him into a new character in Avengers from Incredible Hulk, establish a weird psuedo-romance with Black Widow after he straight up tries to backhand her while she cowers from him in Avengers follow by the non-sensical "I'm always angry..." line, and then kind of retool him again in Thor Ragnarok. So there isn't really this great big Hulk/Banner plot I really cared that much about.

Now that the multi-verse is real they should get Edward Norton back as grey hulk

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that the multi-verse is real they should get Edward Norton back as grey hulk
It's just a shot by shot remake of Motherless Brooklyn with Joe Fixit Hulk.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

He's a rogue variant. Probably got deleted along with Gerard Sanders, Terence Howard and Josh Dallas.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm more annoyed that he didn't do poo poo all in Endgame afterward. His mission on the time travel is to talk to a lady (best use of a huge green warrior) then he does the first snap which is a good moment for him but disappears for the entirety of the end fight. When facing up to Thanos was the arc in the previous movie!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm more annoyed that he didn't do poo poo all in Endgame afterward. His mission on the time travel is to talk to a lady (best use of a huge green warrior) then he does the first snap which is a good moment for him but disappears for the entirety of the end fight. When facing up to Thanos was the arc in the previous movie!
I don't think it's a particularly great movie, so I don't want to go too up to bat for Endgame. But he is the guy who undoes Thanos's big glorious destiny and the idea of the Hulk getting that revenge without throwing a punch is neat.

But it also happens after they fridge Black Widow to get there so I'm not going to stand up to hard for it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I kinda viewed Smart Hulk as a thing he really needs to move past as a character (how it is usually handled), but that we're not quite handling that in Endgame. But it's certainly been a rocky road of abortive storylines for the Hulk through 10 years of movies. Also there's this weird thing where you can completely forget that General Ross is a Hulk character because all he does is mix it up with Iron Man and Captain America.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Flying Zamboni posted:

The comic Batman: White Knight makes this argument and it's terrible. That's the alternate universe comic where The Joker cures himself of his Jokeritis and becomes a politician campaigning for "police reform" but the reform he's talking about is that all of the cops should have their own bat-tanks and bat-armor.

It was really stupid.

There was a great What If issue in the 90's where Tony Stark came back from his origin and decided that instead of keeping it all to himself, he'd go public with his Iron Man tech. While it led to a lot of good, Tony went kind of insane over this decision because in the Marvel universe, there are government-sanctioned giant androids built for the sake of slaughtering minorities and they're even better at their job when you mix in Stark tech.

Ror posted:

I just want to be spoiled on how Taskmaster ends up in the movie. He's like the perfect candidate for recurring minor antagonist in the MCU and I'll be so disappointed if they fumbled that.

Vague Taskmaster spoilers: Taskmaster is portrayed as a mute badass force of nature. Other than the powers and look, there's no connection to the comic character. By the end of the movie, TM's future is open-ended and may return down the line, but probably isn't going in the direction of outright villainy.

Explicit spoilers version: Taskmaster's deal is years ago, Natasha and Hawkeye attempted to assassinate the dude behind the Red Room (the Budapest incident they always mention). They blew up his office, knowing that the bad guy's ten-year-old daughter was visiting and was going to be collateral damage. Natasha went through with it for the greater good, but it always haunted her. Not only did the villain survive, but so did his daughter, albeit badly burned. Rather than let the revenge story write itself, he did all the monstrous Black Widow training and mind-control stuff to his daughter and molded her into the Taskmaster (who has the comic version's powers on top of everything). By the time Natasha defeats her, frees her of the mind-control and apologizes for what she's done, Taskmaster seems more focused on how much of a monster her father is.

The non-Romanoff Black Widows end up leaving together to figure out their new future without the Red Room's commanding them. They take a wounded Taskmaster with them, since she's one of them

Dammerung posted:

I remember the Russo brothers insisting that it wasn't that the Hulk was scared of Thanos, but that he wasn't coming out because he felt like Banner didn't respect him enough or something like that.

So many movies treat the Hulk as this huge curse or disease that Banner is trying to rid himself of, but will easily turn to it whenever something needs to get punched. Then Ragnarok shows that Hulk is not just a side-effect, but a person with feelings. He's basically going on strike until Banner understands that he's more than a weapon for Banner to openly poo poo on.

It's a great idea and I wish they would have used it in the actual movie.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It sells the idea that five years actually passed and that there a bunch of missing Marvel films that we didn't see happening in that period.

My assumption for She-Hulk, in which Ruffalo is a recurring character, is that they'll just depict this through flashback. Tim Roth's presence tells me they might use the show as a general dumping ground for Hulk-related plots they couldn't fit anywhere else.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Universal still has the rights to solo Hulk so I'm sure the She Hulk show will have everything Disney legally can't do with the Hulk property if they didn't put "She" in the title.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Detective No. 27 posted:

Universal still has the rights to solo Hulk so I'm sure the She Hulk show will have everything Disney legally can't do with the Hulk property if they didn't put "She" in the title.

They have distribution rights to any Hulk movies, but not IP/character rights.

It shouldn't impact the TV show.

They also may not have it anymore. I don't think it was ever made public how long they get them for, but they still had them as of ~2016.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Isn't there some rights thing with Universal that mean Disney won't make Hulk solo movies? Maybe that doesn't apply to TV shows.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Necrothatcher posted:

Isn't there some rights thing with Universal that mean Disney won't make Hulk solo movies? Maybe that doesn't apply to TV shows.

Universal has distribution rights to any Hulk solo movie.

That means if Marvel makes a solo Hulk movie, then they have to go to Universal for distribution and allow Universal to decide release dates, streaming authorization, digital downloads, TV broadcast licensing, DVD/Blu-ray rights, etc. Universal also gets to take a chunk of the profit for each of those things.

They decided to shelve solo Hulk movies because the first one only did so-so and they don't want to invest a ton of money into a movie and then have Universal decide to release it at a bad time, put Hulk movies up on other streaming services, and take a portion of all the profits from each.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They have distribution rights to any Hulk movies, but not IP/character rights.

It shouldn't impact the TV show.

They also may not have it anymore. I don't think it was ever made public how long they get them for, but they still had them as of ~2016.

Right. So basically anything that Disney would want to do with a Hulk solo movie they'll probably just inject into She Hulk or other projects.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Necrothatcher posted:

The opening of montage of Ray Winstone meeting presidents set to a moody indie girl Nirvana cover is cracking me up.

I liked the movie a bunch but this montage had me cracking up from how cliche the moody Smells Like Teen Spirit cover was.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Right. So basically anything that Disney would want to do with a Hulk solo movie they'll probably just inject into She Hulk or other projects.

Pretty much:

Mark Ruffalo posted:

So basically, Kevin [Feige] pulled me aside before this, and said, 'If you were gonna do a... if we were going to do a standalone Hulk movie, what would it be?' And I said, 'I think it should be this, this, this, and this and this, and ends up like this.' And he's like, 'I love that. Why don't we do that in the next three movies, starting with Thor 3 and then we go into Avengers 3 and 4.' And I was like, 'That sounds great!' And so we are at the beginning of this arc.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Instead of injecting that stuff into She-Hull, could they just make a Disney+ Hulk tv show? Would Universal have any claim to that or is it just Hulk solo movies?

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Gavok posted:

There was a great What If issue in the 90's where Tony Stark came back from his origin and decided that instead of keeping it all to himself, he'd go public with his Iron Man tech. While it led to a lot of good, Tony went kind of insane over this decision because in the Marvel universe, there are government-sanctioned giant androids built for the sake of slaughtering minorities and they're even better at their job when you mix in Stark tech.

Vague Taskmaster spoilers: Taskmaster is portrayed as a mute badass force of nature. Other than the powers and look, there's no connection to the comic character. By the end of the movie, TM's future is open-ended and may return down the line, but probably isn't going in the direction of outright villainy.

Explicit spoilers version: Taskmaster's deal is years ago, Natasha and Hawkeye attempted to assassinate the dude behind the Red Room (the Budapest incident they always mention). They blew up his office, knowing that the bad guy's ten-year-old daughter was visiting and was going to be collateral damage. Natasha went through with it for the greater good, but it always haunted her. Not only did the villain survive, but so did his daughter, albeit badly burned. Rather than let the revenge story write itself, he did all the monstrous Black Widow training and mind-control stuff to his daughter and molded her into the Taskmaster (who has the comic version's powers on top of everything). By the time Natasha defeats her, frees her of the mind-control and apologizes for what she's done, Taskmaster seems more focused on how much of a monster her father is.

The non-Romanoff Black Widows end up leaving together to figure out their new future without the Red Room's commanding them. They take a wounded Taskmaster with them, since she's one of them

So many movies treat the Hulk as this huge curse or disease that Banner is trying to rid himself of, but will easily turn to it whenever something needs to get punched. Then Ragnarok shows that Hulk is not just a side-effect, but a person with feelings. He's basically going on strike until Banner understands that he's more than a weapon for Banner to openly poo poo on.

It's a great idea and I wish they would have used it in the actual movie.

Thanks. You put into words exactly what I was thinking about Hulk. I was disappointed how Hulk was handled in Endgame. He says they "worked it out," but honestly it just seems like Banner gets to use Hulk's body with Hulk being erased. Admittedly a lot of character development was lost in the transition from Ragnarok to Infinity War/Endgame. It's just so disappointing because it's so easy to say "Banner worked out his demons and now there's no repercussions." But as said, Hulk was his own person, who probably could have taught Banner a lot as well. Maybe we'll see more of this in the future, especially since these shows give some more time to breathe. If there could be a similar heart to heart between Hulk and Banner a la Loki and Sylvie, that would be my ideal. With the result being more of

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DeimosRising posted:

Stephen King isn’t exactly a virtuoso prose stylist. Brevity isn’t an inherent good.

Meanwhile It is 1100+ pages long and contains a child sex train. Stephen King is not the best spokesman for brevity and necessary cuts,

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Timby posted:

I think this was an actual editorial change; as filmed, Hela confronts Odin, Thor and Loki in New York, but in post-production Waititi decided to re-shoot the scene and have it take place in Norway, as he felt it was more grounded.

Yeah, last minute too, the VFX for the scene where Odin dissipates were finished like 12 hours before the premiere. There's a few deleted scenes that ended up getting cut or trimmed because they mention Hela killing Odin.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/slytherinus/status/1413556375104507913?s=21

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

This Tweet isn't showing up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
BW was fun for what it was, though with some dicey CGI and a few scenes stretching belief on the kind of damage a non-superpowered human body can take and simply shrug off. I enjoyed what it sets up though; I dig the idea that we lose Natasha in Endgame, but gain Yelena and possibly Taskmaster leading an army of Black Widows.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Not sure what's so funny about this? I guess it's that she floats away from the explosion, but a) every action hero in the history of action movies does that, and b) there's clearly some wind or draft, I first thought she is standing on a flying plane so she is more giving up her footing and is taken by the wind.

It's no WW84.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Even in the actual scene, not just recorded on a phone, the effects are very janky.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Not sure what's so funny about this? I guess it's that she floats away from the explosion, but a) every action hero in the history of action movies does that, and b) there's clearly some wind or draft, I first thought she is standing on a flying plane so she is more giving up her footing and is taken by the wind.

It's no WW84.

The compositing is rear end, the clear blue sky looks jarring compared to what's going on, it makes her stick out like she's on a green screen- which is also what it looks like- and the acting is B movie level from actresses we know can do better.

This is a professional movie and it looks like Neil Breen should be wandering into frame rambling about satellites.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It makes sense with the way she acts the rest of the movie. I thought she was very charming throughout.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Invalid Validation posted:

It makes sense with the way she acts the rest of the movie. I thought she was very charming throughout.

Yeah, I found Pugh to be much more entertaining than Johannson. The Black Widow fight choreography was much better than the usual slow and awkward spins. Some surprising bits of brutality too.

It was a solid, but not mind-blowing movie. Harbour was fantastic and his weight gain, gold teeth, and KARL MARX tattooed on his knuckles were some hilarious takes on Red Guardian as a washed up and obsolete superhero.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pugh and Harbor made it for me. I really hope to see more from those characters at some point in some form. They were really strong.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

BW was fun for what it was, though with some dicey CGI and a few scenes stretching belief on the kind of damage a non-superpowered human body can take and simply shrug off. I enjoyed what it sets up though; I dig the idea that we lose Natasha in Endgame, but gain Yelena and possibly Taskmaster leading an army of Black Widows.

Massive same for the spoilered bit.

For the non-spoilered bit I know there's a lot of spots where that happens but the worst for me was in the first act when they show Natasha falling from the top of a building and actually hitting/ragdolling around off fire escapes/part of building and stuff, hell it even looked like she hit her head at one point, and she's still up and on her feet and relatively fine like one second after hitting the ground. Like why even show it happening that way?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

For some reason I was expecting Hide and Seek to start playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope someone edits in "KAL EL NO" into this.